Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the main problem with writing at WWE- I mean ONE of the main problems- amongst their issues are such diverse elements- okay so what I was saying is, WWE’s writers do script out promos which the wrestlers are expected to speak word for word unless they’re one of a select few allowed to do their own stuff. (This isn’t necessarily the same as their position on the card, like Sandow got to improvise some apparently.)

That plus no rehearsal time makes all WWE promos feel very overwritten and unnatural, the wrestlers can’t make the text work.

So in theory not doing that but having writers give wrestlers some points to hit would be good, but I think in non-WWE promotions someone does that already, they’re just not primarily “writers”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

MassRafTer posted:

Because there is a very successful wrestling TV show that does not use writers right now and historically there have been a lot of shows without them.

After this week's Dynamite I'm not so sure it's working amazingly for them TBH

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

After this week's Dynamite I'm not so sure it's working amazingly for them TBH

The results for writers in pro wrestling are very bad so I am sure a not amazing Dynamite is proof we need them after an excellent 2.5 year run.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what exactly is supposed to be the bad poo poo that made dynamite bad and need writers, especially since i thought it was pretty good? marina shafir's catchphrase?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flatluigi posted:

what exactly is supposed to be the bad poo poo that made dynamite bad and need writers, especially since i thought it was pretty good? marina shafir's catchphrase?

Wardlow didn't say exactly what people wanted so he buried the Interim Title :( :( :( we need writers now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine a writer version of the Wardlow promo from last Wed dynamite would have been even worse

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

If you decide something is bad because WWE screws it up, you’d lose professional wrestling matches that involve different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Maybe it's more of a "they need more people on a creative team in general" problem but AEW has been feeling more chaotic, unplanned, and slapped together at the last second lately and I think at some point they need someone who can just be like "Hey why are we doing another tournament like a week after we just finished two other tournaments" or "Tony please stop giving Adam Cole title shots every other week"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thanlis posted:

If you decide something is bad because WWE screws it up, you’d lose professional wrestling matches that involve different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines.

writers aren't bad because wwe screw them up, writers are bad because every wrestling promotion that has ever used them has sucked rear end

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

Maybe it's more of a "they need more people on a creative team in general" problem but AEW has been feeling more chaotic, unplanned, and slapped together at the last second lately and I think at some point they need someone who can just be like "Hey why are we doing another tournament like a week after we just finished two other tournaments" or "Tony please stop giving Adam Cole title shots every other week"

We should probably wait to see if Adam Cole actually gets this title shot, he might not even be wrestling for awhile he's injured.

Meanwhile this week's Dynamite features a line up that has been built up through matches and angles on TV, PPV and BTE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tony probably could use some help especially if ROH gets going full time but I don't think a writer would be the best pick

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jerry Jarrett when talking about Vince Russo said ideally a wrestling show doesn't take that long to book. Like with Elon Musk types it really feels like pro wrestling has been convincing itself it is much more complicated to book for the last 25 years than it is. This week's show was a little more chaotic, but it is also a show where the world champion went down with an injury 5 days prior, some of your other top stars are injured and your women's champion had to go home sick last week. A lot of stuff was compressed into one show. Seems pretty reasonable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Jerry Jarrett when talking about Vince Russo said ideally a wrestling show doesn't take that long to book. Like with Elon Musk types it really feels like pro wrestling has been convincing itself it is much more complicated to book for the last 25 years than it is. This week's show was a little more chaotic, but it is also a show where the world champion went down with an injury 5 days prior, some of your other top stars are injured and your women's champion had to go home sick last week. A lot of stuff was compressed into one show. Seems pretty reasonable.

to quote one Bryan Alvarez, "Is this really that hard!?"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

They're also had to build for a PPV at the end of the month which also meant things had to be compressed. If you didn't have the PPV do you do the new title tournament on the same show as the interim title stuff? Of course no. But with the PPV coming up and the other show pretty laid out you had to do it this week. Sure it ended up being rough in places but the alternative would of been worse and a writer probably would made things even more dumb

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wrestling doesn't need writers, writing is a skill you need as a wrestler. They should ask for help sometimes though and learn.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Billionaire coward massive biceps tony needs to go on vacation and give booking control to…

*spins wheel*

IT’S TAZ

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
A script doesn't help if the wrestler isn't a good talker. It usually makes it worse! If a wrestler needs help getting their bullet points across there are dozens of good talking wrestlers all around backstage that I'm sure will happily not only give them ideas on how to do it but also teach them how to deliver them which writers decidedly cannot do well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Tony Khan should pay me to tell him when he is booking too much Adam Cole.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tony Khan should hire *shakes magic 8 ball* Nosawa?!?!?

Oh well, interim forever champion Mutoh here we come

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/vman8691/status/1535445930643800065

https://twitter.com/vman8691/status/1535458936299585537

https://twitter.com/vman8691/status/1535454693375221765

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Tony Khan should pay me to tell him when he is booking too much Adam Cole.

The answer to is there too much Adam Cole or redragon is are they on tv, if so that's too much.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've been wondering this for a while now, but what the hell happens if Tony gets sick and has to miss a show or two?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JT Smiley posted:

I've been wondering this for a while now, but what the hell happens if Tony gets sick?

Did you see Top Gun: Maverick? He books the way Iceman gets work done.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Easy, Spin The Wheel make the deal returns

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
If we're doing early 90's WCW match types I want the terrible vignettes that came with them.

White Castle of Fear or GTFO.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Zombie Lemur posted:

If we're doing early 90's WCW match types I want the terrible vignettes that came with them.

White Castle of Fear or GTFO.

Alex abrehantes sees Julia Hart in the mirror.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

cagliostr0 posted:

Alex abrehantes sees Julia Hart in the mirror.

Dark Julia haunting Alex sounds pretty awesome to me

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

Did you see Top Gun: Maverick? He books the way Iceman gets work done.

I want to talk about worked shoot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Maybe they're both you don't know

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

JT Smiley posted:

I've been wondering this for a while now, but what the hell happens if Tony gets sick and has to miss a show or two?

the wrestlers go out to the ring, stand in opposite corners and look back at the entrance way and repeatedly shrug

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cagliostr0 posted:

The answer to is there too much Adam Cole or redragon is are they on tv, if so that's too much.

No you're meant to source your bad take quotes

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Maybe big wrestling promotions should cut deals to get their talent acting/improv lessons. I know the PC has "promo class" but I have no idea how effective that is. Probably not much better than the wrestling side.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wrestling doesn't need writers, writing is a skill you need as a wrestler. They should ask for help sometimes though and learn.

Yes, and having someone to guide them along in constructing a promo if they need it is not a bad idea either. Digging one's heel's in and demanding a one-size-fits-all approach is the poo poo take, to be quite frank.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Most scripted TV is awful. Keep those hacks away from AEW please.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

edogawa rando posted:

Yes, and having someone to guide them along in constructing a promo if they need it is not a bad idea either

AEW has this

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I didn't love Wardlow talking about the interim title like that when the rest of the show is trying to put it over as something important, but it doesn't require writers giving people fully scripted promos to fix that

edogawa rando posted:

Yes, and having someone to guide them along in constructing a promo if they need it is not a bad idea either. Digging one's heel's in and demanding a one-size-fits-all approach is the poo poo take, to be quite frank.

Think anti-writer people just tend to look at it as a Pandora's Box type situation. Idk if that's necessarily a reasonable fear but I get the sense reading posts about it that there's some history here I'm not totally familiar with

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Where are all the good promos by writers we’re missing?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Where are all the good promos by writers we’re missing?

Afaik the maximalist example is The Rock but you can quibble with that for a bunch of reasons if you are so inclined

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

That's what Google Docs were made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Afaik the maximalist example is The Rock but you can quibble with that for a bunch of reasons if you are so inclined

here's my quibble with it: what the rock was actually saying was usually complete loving dogshit, but it was delivered by the rock so everyone loved it