Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

in mg rising one of the bosses is literally a memelord lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Caesar Saladin posted:

My nephew was just incredibly and meaningfully disappointed by the fact that you couldn't actually take a photo of a burger and turn it into a burger-dragon like it showed on the ads for the ios game he downloaded.

gently caress, now I'm disappointed this game doesn't exist.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

Hell yeah, the devs gave me a selection of 150 different 20-pixel armoires and bookcases, this totally makes up for the fact that instead of building a castle I can only build a weird vertical slice of a castle

This is some "N64 games look better than SNES games because they're 3D" poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
MGSV is a real good video game imo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Hell yeah, the devs gave me a selection of 150 different 20-pixel armoires and bookcases, this totally makes up for the fact that instead of building a castle I can only build a weird vertical slice of a castle

This makes me want to play I love bookcases.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bookcases rule. I want to have one of them built in shelves library rooms that rich people got. Fill it with hardcover Goosebumps books and Gamefan. Some day.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like looking at bookcases in Shining Force 2.

A book about mysteries!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Meme Poker Party posted:

MGSV is a real good video game imo.

Hell yeah.

I liked when Huey screamed at Snake and D-Dog as he was being cast off into the ocean: "That's not even a dog, that's a wolf! You're all in denial!".

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Huey is so wretched, he's an utter psychopath in a way that I really haven't seen in media before. He victimizes himself and uses that as justification to lash out at those around him. He was forced to work for the big bad of the game, XOF, and he underwent horrific interrogation after he was extracted by the protagonists, Diamond Dogs, in order to find out what he knows.

As a captive of Diamond Dogs he presents himself as a victim the whole time. He was rescued from his servitude of XOF, but because he was accused of helping them (and also the torture) he considers himself the victim. Therefore any of his horrible acts he commits going forward are justified because he leans on the injustices done onto him, and that's the main theme of the game; this cycle of revenge.

He works for no one but himself, but he's so utterly in denial about this fact (unlike say, Ocelot) that he's convinced that causing more violence around him is the right answer. He considers himself to be a good person, so how can this violence he's causing be bad? He believes himself to be morally right in every scenario. He is always the victim, even when he's the perpetrator.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Deranged guy who always cries about being the victim while also doing terrible things every day" is too real for 2022 imo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He gets cucked by his son.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I put 22 hours into MGSV apparently, and didn't even get to Quiet (?) making an appearance. At least 20 minutes of that playtime was clicking on upgrades after installing a 'all upgrades + oil derrick free' mod.

I didn't not enjoy my time clowning on people, but I was kinda alarmed at how much I guessed was left in the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Huey seems like a bit of a uh, turn from the character in Peace Walker, but then again I think it says a lot about the deliberate moral ambiguity of pretty much everyone in MSF. Big Boss is basically unable to function as anything but a soldier and has cult leader level charisma but is sick of taking orders, Miller is leading him on and embezzling, and they recruit from every side of the cold war from Communist rebels running drugs for funding to out of work Vietnam veterans. When half your staff are there because they have nowhere else to go, all they really need is one good push.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

I put 22 hours into MGSV apparently, and didn't even get to Quiet (?) making an appearance. At least 20 minutes of that playtime was clicking on upgrades after installing a 'all upgrades + oil derrick free' mod.

I didn't not enjoy my time clowning on people, but I was kinda alarmed at how much I guessed was left in the game.

You missed the best boss fight of the game.

With the exception of the boss fight where you fight three Quiets

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
having never played an mgs before the story for v was goofy as hell, but gameplay wise it's one of the best stealth action games ever made. i played the hell outta that game (after cheating away the stupid unlocks)

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Huey seems like a bit of a uh, turn from the character in Peace Walker, but then again I think it says a lot about the deliberate moral ambiguity of pretty much everyone in MSF. Big Boss is basically unable to function as anything but a soldier and has cult leader level charisma but is sick of taking orders, Miller is leading him on and embezzling, and they recruit from every side of the cold war from Communist rebels running drugs for funding to out of work Vietnam veterans. When half your staff are there because they have nowhere else to go, all they really need is one good push.

Miller's ideology is revealed in the sub-plot about him starting a fast food burger chain, in which he seeks to unite all the worlds cultures under a single recipe for a hamburger.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beartaco posted:

Miller's ideology is revealed in the sub-plot about him starting a fast food burger chain, in which he seeks to unite all the worlds cultures under a single recipe for a hamburger.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I am so sick of tutorials just so loving tired of every game thinking they are the first game I've ever played. Iron Harvest, no don't do it don't have a character as a child do something that doesn't loving matter. Oh hunting I've never seen that before GOOD CHARACTER BUILDING. 17 minutes and I've thrown some snowballs, and hunted a deer this is the stuff I crave.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Huey is so wretched, he's an utter psychopath in a way that I really haven't seen in media before. He victimizes himself and uses that as justification to lash out at those around him. He was forced to work for the big bad of the game, XOF, and he underwent horrific interrogation after he was extracted by the protagonists, Diamond Dogs, in order to find out what he knows.

As a captive of Diamond Dogs he presents himself as a victim the whole time. He was rescued from his servitude of XOF, but because he was accused of helping them (and also the torture) he considers himself the victim. Therefore any of his horrible acts he commits going forward are justified because he leans on the injustices done onto him, and that's the main theme of the game; this cycle of revenge.

He works for no one but himself, but he's so utterly in denial about this fact (unlike say, Ocelot) that he's convinced that causing more violence around him is the right answer. He considers himself to be a good person, so how can this violence he's causing be bad? He believes himself to be morally right in every scenario. He is always the victim, even when he's the perpetrator.

he might be one of the best examples of pathological narcissism in fiction just because kojima’s so characteristically unsubtle about it. literally nothing can shake him out of his victimized view of events. lengthy torture sessions don’t rattle him. he’s shown audio evidence of his crimes and spits out three rationalizations in the next five minutes. he leaves the plot still screaming that nothing was his fault. it’s all too real

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

he burgin'

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
cross-post

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I am so sick of tutorials just so loving tired of every game thinking they are the first game I've ever played. Iron Harvest, no don't do it don't have a character as a child do something that doesn't loving matter. Oh hunting I've never seen that before GOOD CHARACTER BUILDING. 17 minutes and I've thrown some snowballs, and hunted a deer this is the stuff I crave.

I never see mandatory tutorials anymore, this all got optimized years ago. Steam uses a neural network to determine your competency, and that's fed into games to determine whether you need to see a tutorial or if it can just be an option on the menu.

Consoles don't have this because children are dumb and need tutorials

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ahaha, I wish.

Doesn't help that a shitload of tutorials are often borderline or actively useless.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

I like the ones that tell you to use WASD to move and then require you to press each one, often in a specific sequence, before the tutorial will continue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
how are they not on destiny 3 yet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

precision posted:

how are they not on destiny 3 yet

Activision was going to force them to stop trying to shove more crap into destiny 2 and actually make a new game, but then they bought themselves out right before it happened so they could continue developing destiny (and immediately delete the first 2 years worth of dlcs because there literally wasn't enough space to add new content)

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Unpopular Vidjagame Opinion: I am sick to death of reading one more deadbrain post about Disco Elysium. Every time I read anything about this game I am that much more determined to never play it. OMG you can read so much text in this game with its trash-filter art style and edgy nihilistic protag! The whole fandom around this thing is maximum cringe, I don't need to personally handle the hot rock out of this pretentious fartsniffing hotzone to know I should stay far away from this particular existential sickness.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thank you for making me read Yet Another Post about that game. Gratitude.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

AcidCat posted:

Unpopular Vidjagame Opinion: I am sick to death of reading one more deadbrain post about Disco Elysium. Every time I read anything about this game I am that much more determined to never play it. OMG you can read so much text in this game with its trash-filter art style and edgy nihilistic protag! The whole fandom around this thing is maximum cringe, I don't need to personally handle the hot rock out of this pretentious fartsniffing hotzone to know I should stay far away from this particular existential sickness.

Sounds like its perfect for you then.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Manuals are superior to tutorials.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

AcidCat posted:

You think you're being smart but you're actually getting meta owned by the game fyi

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Sounds like its perfect for you then.

:chanpop:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

You think you're being smart

No I'm drunkposting and just pooping out a hatepost for this game which I'm sure I will be told is WRONG because you read this game and it's so SMART and STUFF.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Serephina posted:

Thank you for making me read Yet Another Post about that game. Gratitude.

Yeah I've become part of the problem. So it goes. Well this is just my little moment to say I hate this loving game I've never played, by Monday this will all be forgotten.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nah disco elysium sucks but i also hardly ever hear about it anymore, it makes me lol because it's like seeing someone complain about jnco jeans

I won't make fun of you for doing the "I CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS THING THAT I HATE" thing because I post in the lol Trump thread

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You would probably enjoy the game

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

i also hardly ever hear about it anymore

We are clearly not following the same threads my dude.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

You would probably enjoy the game

That's the worst part, my deepest fear.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i only read good threads, try doing that

btw thanks for making this thread bad by posting about disco elysium in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Avoiding something because of a dislike of the most obnoxious parts of it's audience is something I'll never understand. Is it out of fear that you'll become one of them or some kind of guilt by association? How thin skinned do you have to be to let the feelings of a bunch of internet dumbasses dictate what you do with your time?