Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
start a beorning, the intro takes like 5 minutes. its great, plus they are super fun

edit: snipe - hanging with my BFF Sauron

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

start a beorning, the intro takes like 5 minutes. its great, plus they are super fun

Honeycakes for days!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

nearly killed em! posted:

got a bad case of tolkien-brain, tried to login and even if i change my password it tells me i don't have the correct password. everything i've read says there's little to no chance support will ever get back to me. anyone familiar with this issue? am i s.o.l.?

I had this happen when I tried to resurrect my ancient account (forgot the PW, but the password reset wouldn't actually stick) last year, and support got back to me and fixed it in like 3-4 days so I don't think you're necessarily SOL, but you are likely stuck with either making a new account or waiting for support.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

i guess all the horror stories were bunk. support got back to me this morning and i've got my account back. so long tutorial zone!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Oh nice! Congrats!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good jack of all trades class? Consensus seems to be minstrel or champion? I prefer healing in groups over dps or tanking and the instrument seems cool, but am I going to have any soloing problems since minstrel seems a bit more group focused than champ?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been mostly soloing with my Captain and honestly having a blast. Shouty boy.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My beorning is super fun. You can solo anything in the game and can tank, dps, and heal easily. I don’t think their AoE heals can be beat by any other class.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Robo Reagan posted:

What's a good jack of all trades class? Consensus seems to be minstrel or champion? I prefer healing in groups over dps or tanking and the instrument seems cool, but am I going to have any soloing problems since minstrel seems a bit more group focused than champ?

My runekeeper does very well. It can be your group healer and solos fine. Been able to do some small/full fellowship quests solo with RK as well too.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I tried The Lord of the Rings Online and the thing that annoyed me most was that I couldn't understand the cutscenes because the dialog kept appearing above moving NPCs' heads instead of being subtitles like "NPC_name: line" like in most games. Even when the NPC was standing still, it was hard to tell who the dialog belonged toward because I forgot who the NPC was.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Best thing for that is to make a local only channel and read the script from the chat box.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah I made a second chat window and put quest dialogue, combat details, and loot in there. Saves the main chat window for everything else.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Every class except burglar is easy to solo, burglar still isn't too bad, just much slower.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Robo Reagan posted:

You shouldn't have any soloing problems with Minstrel. There's a specific stance for them in-game built for solo play. The only things you may have struggle soloing are group content, but these are completely optional.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Robo Reagan posted:

The beorning is the most versatile class in the game at any level. If you don't enjoy shapeshifting or some of the delayed attacks, channeled maul etc. I'd say hunter, champion or minstrel are all viable and fun depending on exceptions.

The only classes I'd avoid anyone maining or starting with are brawler and warden. Brawler still doesn't have a strong defined role, and at best is a knock off champion gimmick. Warden is not only nerfed since it's glory days but the server lag comes often enough to mess with your warden play style.

More of a personal problem but I hate RK inductions and can't find any build on one that I wouldn't rather just be a hunter.

Every class is viable for having fun, and ignore this post if you already play a class you like or don't care about making it to level 140 raids or two shotting most landscape mobs.

edit

Made some small updates to the OP (resizing huge images for phone users, deleting invalid and outdated information). I'll update the officer list with whoever is logging in again most often this week. After that, if anyone has some votes for favorite YouTubers I'll throw their links in. Something for the new LI system, probably Andang if he's not there yet, and maybe one PVP highlight channel for bored curious people, as I imagine almost none of us PVP anymore since PVE has gotten all dev time for years now.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 13, 2022

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I think it's worth noting that hunter have access to a lot of instant-travel skill, those are super useful when soloing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

AskYourself posted:

I think it's worth noting that hunter have access to a lot of instant-travel skill, those are super useful when soloing.

Wardens also get them, but the Hunter versions can teleport an entire party.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

The beorning is the most versatile class in the game at any level. If you don't enjoy shapeshifting or some of the delayed attacks, channeled maul etc. I'd say hunter, champion or minstrel are all viable and fun depending on exceptions.

i played druid in WoW for years and honestly have kind of come to prefer having a big animal shape that says if I'm in dps or tank mode

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
beornings do pretty respectable dps in both modes.

source: me, who finally gave up on my stupid brawler gimmick for now and am levelling up a new beorning because my old one is in rohan and no one wants to go to rohan

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Creeps always say they play female characters because they don't want to spend hundreds of hours at staring a man's rear end. After playing beorning i completely understand, I would rather look at bear butt than some boring dude in armor.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I play a female elf because the male elves look like butt. Or used to.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
what are some good plugins for this game. I main Warden.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

what are some good plugins for this game. I main Warden.

God help you. Same

There's not a whole lot. I like TitanBars and use it more than everything else I think, if only to see my inventory and cash balance at a glance. SequenceBars rules and could be great for a warden, but I don't use it much yet since I'm just grinding class deed stuff and kinda like the gambit puzzle. I have one that does a task item analysis report to stdout that's pretty cool. There's a Deed Tracker that is nice because it lets you see information on deeds not in your normal log. TerrainMap with MoorMap is great.

Just get the external compendium and rifle through the list.

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info663-LOTROPluginCompendium.html

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
I'll be trying this when I get home later. How current is the info on guilds? Is there an active discord for lotro goons?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Opiumden34 posted:

I'll be trying this when I get home later. How current is the info on guilds? Is there an active discord for lotro goons?

Ya! Some of us on Landroval. Come hang out.

https://discord.gg/xJe53cVf

Candrr
Nov 29, 2018
Hey Goons, I am thinking about jumping into the game, I was just wondering about the state of the game and population. I am looking for a new MMO to sink some time into.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Candrr posted:

Hey Goons, I am thinking about jumping into the game, I was just wondering about the state of the game and population. I am looking for a new MMO to sink some time into.

The game just recently had a 15th anniversary and posted the biggest numbers in like a decade in terms of active players, so its definitely a good time to start.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Candrr posted:

Now is definitely good time to play. The game has been experiencing a renaissance of sorts recently.

As for servers, you can't go wrong with any of them. The biggest ones though are Arkenstone if you live in NA and Evernight if you live in EU.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Witeldram posted:

Now is definitely good time to play. The game has been experiencing a renaissance of sorts recently.

As for servers, you can't go wrong with any of them. The biggest ones though are Arkenstone if you live in NA and Evernight if you live in EU.

Landroval's where most of the goons are if you give a gently caress about that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
New Producer Letter.

Biggest thing is expanded class choice for races coming in September.

Dwarfs and Stout-axes get Captain and Wardens.
Elves and High Elves get Burglar.
Hobbits get Lore-master and Champion.
Humans get Rune-keepers.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Hobbit lore master gonna be super cute

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

gently caress yeah, elf burglaring :ninja:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Hell yeah I've been waiting for dwarf captain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
truly cannot wait for Hobbit LM

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Only could have been better if hobbit rune keepers happened too.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I think I must have rolled and deleted 3 different hobbit alts by now after leveling them to 18-20 because I can’t decide which class feels the best. Oh well, guess I’ll get to do the mail delivery and pie collection grind a couple more times! :shepicide:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

I think I must have rolled and deleted 3 different hobbit alts by now after leveling them to 18-20 because I can’t decide which class feels the best. Oh well, guess I’ll get to do the mail delivery and pie collection grind a couple more times! :shepicide:
Or just walk ur little hobbit legs to another zone...

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fenix down posted:

Or just walk ur little hobbit legs to another zone...

Nah, Ered Luin and East Breeland are way worse starting zones than the Shire.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I generally just skip the mail and pie missions, but you get a run speed buff that used to be really useful for getting those horse points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OhFunny posted:

New Producer Letter.

Biggest thing is expanded class choice for races coming in September.

Dwarfs and Stout-axes get Captain and Wardens.
Elves and High Elves get Burglar.
Hobbits get Lore-master and Champion.
Humans get Rune-keepers.

This continued denial of hobbit captains is a vile insult to Merry and Pippin.