Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they kill homelander accidentally, like they have a huge build up to use Soldier Boy's anti-hero powers but before they use it hughie just accidentally telefrags homelander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

3. I thought Supersonic was going to be a traitor, not a casualty! Didn't see that coming.

Same. Looking back, it feels intentional.

FistEnergy posted:

4. I'm not convinced that A-Train sold them out. Homelander could have overheard any or all of the sloppy conversations and could be just putting it on A-Train to keep him out of the plot. Or just because he clearly hates him!

Also, same. I don't know if it's just because it happened offscreen, or if it's because A-Train was so drat pissed at him when they last spoke. I dunno, it feels like his arc is turning more face than heel. Or at least, trying to

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It would be more interesting if Homelander loses his powers, if only temporarily. Like superman did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Train can't really use his powers anymore. He'd be completely useless in any direct fight, which would drive his decisions.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
A-train would’ve had to retire by now if the 7 weren’t bleeding members. He’s a victim and recipient of circumstance, but it’s really cold in this episode but he can’t convince even his goodhearted teammates that it’s bad a superhero is hunting black people.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad we got to find out that Black Noir is ok and just doodling during the meeting. I was worried about him and that coma he was in.

If that's even the real Black Noir... :ohdear:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Habibi posted:

If Hughie teleported into Homelander, whose molecules would win?

Homelander.

Also, there's never any need for Homelander to poison someone. If he wants to kill someone, he will laser them. If he wants to kill someone with deniability, he could throw them into deep space.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

It would be more interesting if Homelander loses his powers, if only temporarily. Like superman did.

I hope this happens and he has to balance freaking out and hoping no one finds out while also continuing to bully people to keep up appearances.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Collateral posted:

This would be the best, I think. Maybe have a loser like Hughie just punch him once and have him go full crybaby over it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

homelander just shrieking that someone made him bleed his own blood

i can’t help but think that we’re going to get a showdown with homelander for butcher and the gang where they have what they think is the advantage, then just get loving owned

like maeve playing with her lil sword

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
lmao this show never fails to crack me the gently caress up

-Homelander signing Hughie's cast
-the cop pirouetting after slamming A-Train's drink
-The taco bowls and Homelander speaking spanish

:discourse:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

It was a perfect recreation of something from 2017, but with a trump taco bowl reference, I feel like this stuff is kind of warmed over.

But the entire sequence from getting introduced to the idea he’s doing a commercial to the payoff is under a minute, so who cares in an hour long.

—-
I think this season in particular has a theme of not being able to protect people. Starlight tried to dissuade her ex from joining the team because he would die, then he died. Butcher can’t have a healthy relationship with Ryan. Frenchie can’t stop others from manipulating his girlfriend.

It is kinda weird feeling that a lot of the pop culture references are Trump era stuff and thus a few years old, but at the same time I dont feel like the Trump era is over even though he's technically out. And Homelander as Super-Trump is so perfect its hard to argue.

The boys comic was explicitly GWB era with all its War on Terror references. But pre Trump the angle of "well maybe Homelander just gets worse and more unapolagetic and people like it" wouldn't really sound plausible.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 11, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

Also, same. I don't know if it's just because it happened offscreen, or if it's because A-Train was so drat pissed at him when they last spoke. I dunno, it feels like his arc is turning more face than heel. Or at least, trying to

There's nothing inconsistent with A-Train being a self-centred piece of poo poo, having a genuine sense of unease and willingness to pursue justice on behalf of his immediate family and community, but also being totally unwilling to take any risk or make any sort of sacrifice for the greater good.

e: alongside 'what is power', 'what is the balancing point on which your loyalties flip?' seems to be the theme of this season.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 11, 2022

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I still can’t move past how V was apparently more top secret than the aliens at area 51, yet thousands of random parents and doctors and employees and everyone knew about it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I still can’t move past how V was apparently more top secret than the aliens at area 51, yet thousands of random parents and doctors and employees and everyone knew about it.

Vought paid those people and to have their kids become a Supe. Annually it seems. Also clearly were under strict NDA's. Why disrupt the gravy train?

Not to mention Vought basically controls the news cycles. So any individual talking about it just gets suppressed.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 11, 2022

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If A-Train didn't tell Homelander about the plot, the big question then becomes, what are the consequences for A-Train? Supersonic got put down off screen because he's new and useless to Homelander, Starlight is still alive because Homelander wants her popularity boost, what use is A-Train to him? He despises A-Train.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Vought paid those people and to have their kids become a Supe. Annually it seems. Also clearly were under strict NDA's. Why disrupt the gravy train?

I mean, until your kid telefrags the dog / eats their best friend / traps your partner in a hell dimension.

Seems like it would be easier just to dose them at the hospital or something.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man homelander was too real this episode. someone writing this show had a man who was deeply insecure who held power over them and just wrote homelander 1:1

dudes treatment of starlight, his demeanour, his entire him, triggered the gently caress out of my ptsd last night

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Golden Bee posted:

It was a perfect recreation of something from 2017, but with a trump taco bowl reference, I feel like this stuff is kind of warmed over.

Well, Trump is probably gonna announce his 2024 run after the midterms so there will be plenty of material. Although, I don't think he's accidentally hilarious anymore. Losing the election broke his brain and that's all he talks about anymore. I guess there's a parallel there with Homelander and being wounded even once.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

massive spider posted:

It is kinda weird feeling that a lot of the pop culture references are Trump era stuff and thus a few years old, but at the same time I dont feel like the Trump era is over even though he's technically out. And Homelander as Super-Trump is so perfect its hard to argue.

The boys comic was explicitly GWB era with all its War on Terror references. But pre Trump the angle of "well maybe Homelander just gets worse and more unapolagetic and people like it" wouldn't really sound plausible.

The Trump era never ended, sadly and aside from being trash and a problem in and of himself he is still a symptom of the rot and decay and inhumanity of America. He's our true face. We just have a different president for a little while and he's a senile old man propped up by a decayed, corrupt party who only ever offer a slightly better option and bandaid.

It doesn't feel like we left the Trump era because it isn't his era - he's just one of the stars of the show - the era is late stage capitalism.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 11, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wheeee posted:

homelander just shrieking that someone made him bleed his own blood

I'm in pain! I think this what pain feels like!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

drowningidiot posted:

lmao this show never fails to crack me the gently caress up

-Homelander signing Hughie's cast
-the cop pirouetting after slamming A-Train's drink
-The taco bowls and Homelander speaking spanish

:discourse:

I have a hard time enjoying any of the comedy in scenes that Homelander is in because I'm just waiting for him to suddenly snap someone's neck or slice them in half. This is a testament to how well he is written/acted.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Why does Homelander tolerate A Train being around? He's very much a supe supremacist but as we saw with Blindspot he has no tolerance for disabilities. A Train risks dying if he goes fast again.

What was Deep's wife whispering to him during the meeting? Was she prompting him to undermine A Train? The little slap fight later reminded me about how the Church of Light really did a good job playing Deep and A Train against each other, and there's clearly bad blood between the two of them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because he likes calling him a fat piece of poo poo and making him cry. Homelander thinks (and is afawk) utterly invincible, no one is a threat to him. He doesn’t kill Starlight even though he knows she was plotting to kill him, because he doesn’t care because he thinks it's impossible.

Also the fact that despite the abuse, A train still turned around and betrayed the team shows HL he still knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Homelander isn’t a supe supremacist he's a him supremacist. He doesn’t care if people have disabilities, he thinks everyone but him is disabled. He's not bigoted against anyone for any identity reason, he's bigoted against everyone because he's superior to every person on the planet. I think how firmly he believes all that is the major source of his insecurity

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Panfilo posted:

Why does Homelander tolerate A Train being around? He's very much a supe supremacist but as we saw with Blindspot he has no tolerance for disabilities. A Train risks dying if he goes fast again.

What was Deep's wife whispering to him during the meeting? Was she prompting him to undermine A Train? The little slap fight later reminded me about how the Church of Light really did a good job playing Deep and A Train against each other, and there's clearly bad blood between the two of them.

She has literally mouthing what he should say. That's why he was stumbling over his words.

Honestly, A-Train is probably around literally to be the token black guy.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I never thought I'd say this about a youtube video, but.. read the comments.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Going back I thought everyone/the general public assumed Stormfront was dead. Did the world know Vought was keeping her alive somewhere in the tower? Reporting her suicide writ big like that felt weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Starr looks so reserved and normal with his glasses and beanie I didn’t recognize him!

I wonder why Frenchie never does any of the promotional material?

My S4 Thoughts:

1) Soldier-Boy being the weapon itself makes the most sense to me. My Hail Mary long-haul guess is that Blondie’s “Rapture” was a clue and Soldier Boy is an alien who crashlanded to Earth like Superman

2) agree that Kimiko & Frenchie’s plot for this season is very wishywashy and lame, low point of the season so far

3) Hughie for sure teleports

4) Neuman seems impossibly damaged. In a single 12 hour period she federally indicted her own father on trumped up charges and then permanently mutated her daughter with poison. She’s disgusting and I hope she gets got real bad.

5) my big gripe with this season is that Vought have slowly transformed over the course of the series from “it’s a corporate marketing firm but for managing Superheroes in real life” to “Vought is Amazon AND Disney AND Raytheon and everyone only watches Vought shows and drinks Vought drinks and goes to VOUGHT land” and I’m sure like everything else in the series it’s entirely intentional that the feeling of everything getting sublimated into one gigantic omni-company is becoming a little bit suffocating, but it also feels extremely pronounced compared to previous seasons and makes the whole thing seem a little bit more surreal. I guess what I’m saying is I’d really like to see S4 focus on MM, Serge, Kimiko, and Hewie taking out Butcher and the CIA and move away from the “Vought is everything, everywhere, all at once” that the plot seems trapped in now.

Non spoiler I feel like Ashley & the Deep, if they survive, are going to end up together. Deep’s wife is obviously a climber and she’s gonna try to gently caress Homelander and bail on the Deep

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Poor MM walked back into this poo poo.

I really liked that early in season 2, Hughie was absolutely infuriated at Butcher for the way he just abandoned the team at the end of season 1, and even more infuriated that the team just kind of shrugged and moved on from the fact he was so callous with their lives. In season 3, having that turned around with Hughie's (entirely in his own head) emasculation making him do stupid poo poo and embrace Butcher's ideas while the rest of the team are just getting increasingly more disgusted by Butcher is a really nice move. I love that MM makes a point of telling Hughie and ONLY Hughie that he's better than taking temp V.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

zoux posted:

Because he likes calling him a fat piece of poo poo and making him cry. Homelander thinks (and is afawk) utterly invincible, no one is a threat to him. He doesn’t kill Starlight even though he knows she was plotting to kill him, because he doesn’t care because he thinks it's impossible.

Also the fact that despite the abuse, A train still turned around and betrayed the team shows HL he still knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Homelander isn’t a supe supremacist he's a him supremacist. He doesn’t care if people have disabilities, he thinks everyone but him is disabled. He's not bigoted against anyone for any identity reason, he's bigoted against everyone because he's superior to every person on the planet. I think how firmly he believes all that is the major source of his insecurity

In a way Homelander is a tragic character, he really really wants people to interact with him, but because everyone is scared shitless by him (as they well should, he's a homicidal weirdo) he has to either play these silly mind games or feel even more isolated. In theory he's someone who shouldn't be afraid of consequences, since what sort of consequences any of his actions can possibly have, but since he has to deal with other people, there are emotional consequences and he doesn't understand how dealing with those work.

There's plenty of parallels between him and Butcher, who likes to act like there are no consequences, but we are repeatedly shown how sick and tired everyone is of Billy's constant bullshit.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Going back I thought everyone/the general public assumed Stormfront was dead. Did the world know Vought was keeping her alive somewhere in the tower? Reporting her suicide writ big like that felt weird.

I assume the cover story was something like "she's being kept in super-arkham asylum" and the Homelander heroically subdued her non-lethally and so on.

Panfilo posted:

He had no tolerance for Blindspot because he's obviously blind and in his narcissistic brain that looks bad. A-Train can't run but thats not public knowledge, yet.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I really enjoyed hughie being off his tits in the van at the end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A-Trains power seems nebulous. Can he ONLY run at super speeds? Wouldn’t he still be, like, an Olympic level athlete even at baseline? Can he run AT ALL without his heart exploding like a Compound V hand grenade?

Also, uh, why would A-Train’s family sign up one kid for powers and leave the other one normal? How did A-Train not literally kill his brother playing Touch Football as a kid?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Didn't A Train go fast for the drinks commercial? Or is a little speed, as a treat, OK?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"0 or 100" speed would suck. He's gotta be able to run at different speeds lol

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

pik_d posted:

Didn't A Train go fast for the drinks commercial? Or is a little speed, as a treat, OK?

Nah, that was just regular special effects trickery

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just went back and watched the scene and Homelander kills Blindspot solely to gently caress with Ashley. She had just walked in on him drinking breast milk in Stillwell's old office, and he hints that he's annoyed with her redecorating, and she talks about “filling Stillwell's shoes” and she's just being that fake positive, image obsessed girlboss she was earlier in the series. They go immediately to see Blindspot, Homelander claps his brains out and then berates Ashley at length, using those dominance cues (don't look at him, look at me) he does. It could’ve been any superhero, HL would’ve pretended to find fault with something just so he could cut Ashley off at the knees.

It’s interesting to see Ashley directly copy Homelander's dominance rhetoric in her interactions with her own underlings in this most recent episode

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I really enjoyed hughie being off his tits in the van at the end.

Made me think he’s going to become addicted to it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One nice dialogue writing touch as Homelander is at the height of his derangement is every intimidation and threat followed with him fake-trying to diffuse the tension with "C'mon, I'm joking!"

So true to every sociopathic creep and bully in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Made me think he’s going to become addicted to it.

I hope not, addiction stories are so boring