Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Maneki Neko posted:

These 14" ipad rumors really just seem like a way to restart the "when will there be a touch screen mac" stuff

Hopefully a shared architecture going forward and a couple of years worth of bad press, including some pretty big Apple Stans making GBS threads on iPadOS after the M1 announcement will get us more shared features. Stage manager looks like one of those gimmicks that works awesomely for a couple very specific workflows and gets forgotten by everyone else but I guess the windowing and more functional file system is a start?

Has anyone mentioned if it (or anything in iOS 16) can handle 2 video windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flyndre posted:

I loving love my 2018 11” iPad Pro still. I love it so much I miss it when I’m at the office, where we’ve been supplied some crappy regular iPads. I might need to buy a new M2 iPad Pro for home use, just so I can bring my old Pro to work permanently.

Yeah as much as I love my 2018 11 pro when the new M2 comes out I think its upgrade time.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Stage manager looks like one of those gimmicks that works awesomely for a couple very specific workflows and gets forgotten by everyone else but I guess the windowing and more functional file system is a start?

Honestly, the stage manager stuff feels pretty fundamental and not like a gimmick to me - I have a pretty generic office workflow - coupla browser tabs, coupla google docs, coupla spreadsheets, email client - which is probably shared by most people - and from what I've seen this is gonna essentially mean I can bring my iPad to work and use that instead of the crappy ancient work Dell. Especially if the whole external monitor thing works smoothly. I'm pretty stoked about it!

edit: the only thing that might suck is that it doesn't seem like there's currently any way to charge the iPad and have it physically plugged into an external monitor, without having the super expensive magic keyboard accessory. We'll see how long a full battery lasts on a day of office computing but I'm not optimistic about that aspect

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

The Grumbles posted:

edit: the only thing that might suck is that it doesn't seem like there's currently any way to charge the iPad and have it physically plugged into an external monitor, without having the super expensive magic keyboard accessory. We'll see how long a full battery lasts on a day of office computing but I'm not optimistic about that aspect

USB C hubs with Power Delivery in and HDMI out (plus other ports) go on sale for like $12 or $15.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My M1 Pro will just about last a work day without plugging in, but not doing anything more power intensive than reading Awful between meetings over LTE (5G barely penetrates into my office and I'm not connecting to the Wi-Fi for obvious reasons).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

USB C hubs with Power Delivery in and HDMI out (plus other ports) go on sale for like $12 or $15.

Oh perfect, thank you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Grumbles posted:

Honestly, the stage manager stuff feels pretty fundamental and not like a gimmick to me - I have a pretty generic office workflow - coupla browser tabs, coupla google docs, coupla spreadsheets, email client - which is probably shared by most people - and from what I've seen this is gonna essentially mean I can bring my iPad to work and use that instead of the crappy ancient work Dell.

It's literally just a fancy looking Windows Task Manager moved to the left side instead of the bottom.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It's literally just a fancy looking Windows Task Manager moved to the left side instead of the bottom.

Yes, which combined with having windowed apps seems like it'll make doing actual work on the thing a whole lot easier.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you apple for finally inventing multitasking after all these years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it looks pretty great

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Wrong thread.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Are all the changes to iOS16 for M1 iPads or....?

anothergod fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 12, 2022

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, idiot newbie question. I just inherited my brother's iPad Air 2. He had a lightning cable that was absolutely beat to poo poo, so I went to replace it. Punched in "ipad air 2 cable" on Amazon, got something that looked right, but it won't go into the socket. I looked on the listing and iPad Air 2 isn't explicitly mentioned in the specs-- but I figured like USB-C, lightning cable is lightning cable is lightning cable. Was I just an idiot, or are there different designs on these things?

All the videos and articles I've found on "lightning cable doesn't fit" tell me to dig lint out of the socket, and I've probed it and checked it using a flashlight and it doesn't look like there's an obstruction.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of the lightning cables are the same. And an air 2 is a lightning device for sure.

Either your cable is bad, your port is broken, or something is jammed in the port

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maybe post the cable you bought so we can confirm?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Found some hi-res pictures of lightning cables (official ones) and the shape of this one is ever so slightly off. So looks like a bad cable. To Kohl's or wherever Amazon has return drop-offs this week!

Thanks. (I just wouldn't have put it past Apple to have special cables for each device at this point.)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
E: Nvm.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

As a 12.9 inch buyer since Day 1, if the rumored 14 inch iPad isn’t be a pro model and the price isn’t bonkers I have a feeling Stage Manger won’t be as nice to have as the extra screen real estate.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/14/14-inch-ipad-promotion-unlikely-rumor/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

As a 12.9 inch buyer since Day 1, if the rumored 14 inch iPad isn’t be a pro model and the price isn’t bonkers I have a feeling Stage Manger won’t be as nice to have as the extra screen real estate.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/14/14-inch-ipad-promotion-unlikely-rumor/

using a 12.9in on a daily basis my arms are exhausted i can't imagine a 14" being anything comfortable to hold up from a table and use for any length of time

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
edit: Wrong thread.

iPad good.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

using a 12.9in on a daily basis my arms are exhausted i can't imagine a 14" being anything comfortable to hold up from a table and use for any length of time

That part’s never bothered me personally, I’ve even been playing Diablo Immortal on it with no issues. That said I’ll admit the ability to just remove the folio/magic keyboard magnetically and go naked iPad helps.

I just want the real estate since the majority of my iPad use is content consumption and bigger=better than since even cheap Apple displays are still very good. If they can price it somewhere between the plain iPad and the Air (vs between Air and Pro since the pro features are worth 1-200 for me, not $500) I’d make that jump….which is why Apple probably will price it closer to the Pros.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Worth it to upgrade to an m1? Or whatever 2022 air from 2020?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not unless your iPad is feeling sluggish for your purposes. I mainly web browse and watch YouTube, so I’m only now getting ready to upgrade from an iPad Air 2 from 2014.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I of course am happy with my M1 iPad, but I really upgrading both for finding the right promo and my 2016 iPad Pro battery was starting to be noticeably not as good. And it still ran overall fairly well otherwise. So yeah, a 2020 iPad Air, no real reason to upgrade unless it’s a crazy good deal or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tacier posted:

Not unless your iPad is feeling sluggish for your purposes. I mainly web browse and watch YouTube, so I’m only now getting ready to upgrade from an iPad Air 2 from 2014.

I was thinking of more to upgrade the storage to a bigger one, I picked 64 and should have gone bigger

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got an M1 11 inch 128gb iPad pro for around £600, at which price it basically felt like I'd got the new iPad air at a storage level/price point that made sense for actual use. Because rumours are abound for a new pro, there are deep discounts around for last year's model, so I'd totally recommend that route unless you think you'll really need the 256gb air.

Do kinda feel like I've missed out on the fancy colours though. That blue seems really nice.

Edit: and I honestly can't imagine what extra oomph you'd get from an m2 chip in the future iPad. The M1 feels seriously underutilized as-is.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 15, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So, been using my 5th Gen iPad Air for a little bit now, especially playing a few mobile games on it, and jesus; the super fast load times are completely insane. Everything loads near instantly on this thing. It's like playing games on the PS5 or Series X.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How do you sync books from a Mac to an iPad? I've got a bunch of epub/pdfs on my Macbook that I'd like to put on my iPad. I'm looking at the iPad in Finder and found the Books tab but it doesn't sync when I try to drag the books into iPad and I can't search for them.

https://imgur.com/a/9bONIQk

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

keevo posted:

How do you sync books from a Mac to an iPad? I've got a bunch of epub/pdfs on my Macbook that I'd like to put on my iPad. I'm looking at the iPad in Finder and found the Books tab but it doesn't sync when I try to drag the books into iPad and I can't search for them.

https://imgur.com/a/9bONIQk

If you try another app, does it work?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Silly Burrito posted:

If you try another app, does it work?

Found out you can directly import it from Dropbox on Marvin so that's cool.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

keevo posted:

Found out you can directly import it from Dropbox on Marvin so that's cool.

iCloud Drive is right there too depending on your storage space.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You can mount an SMB share on the ipad. Alternatively, anything you add to the Books app on the mac can be synced to the ipad, but that's only relevant if you're going to be using Books to read them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a dumb question that I can’t figure out for the life of me. I have an iPad with cellular and I get iMessages just fine but regular text messages aren’t coming through. I’ve checked the messages settings and it says to receive messages from all the correct stuff but regular texts won’t come through on here.

Am I missing a step?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
did you go into setting on your phone and allow message forwarding?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

did you go into setting on your phone and allow message forwarding?

Lol I did not!

Thanks for that should be working now!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well thanks, because that solved my problem of texts not showing up on my MacBook but working just fine on my iPad

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've been on the 15.6 beta track for my Ipad Air 2. Over the past few weeks, with build #19G5027e, my wifi icon will show in the upper right for a spit second, then disappear. If I go into wifi settings, it shows I'm connected to my router (or tethering my phone), but I can't get any network whatsoever. I'm pretty sure I'm behind on 15.6 public builds since I hardly ever use this slow piece of poo poo, but it won't let me update due to no network connection (even though it shows connected in settings). Is there a way to upgrade public betas via iTunes? Just from googling, it looks like I'm on 15.6 PB1?

I have tried doing a hard reset (not wipe), and resetting network settings, forgetting my network, turning off private addressing on my router, etc, but nothing works.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've been on the 15.6 beta track for my Ipad Air 2. Over the past few weeks, with build #19G5027e, my wifi icon will show in the upper right for a spit second, then disappear. If I go into wifi settings, it shows I'm connected to my router (or tethering my phone), but I can't get any network whatsoever. I'm pretty sure I'm behind on 15.6 public builds since I hardly ever use this slow piece of poo poo, but it won't let me update due to no network connection (even though it shows connected in settings). Is there a way to upgrade public betas via iTunes? Just from googling, it looks like I'm on 15.6 PB1?

I have tried doing a hard reset (not wipe), and resetting network settings, forgetting my network, turning off private addressing on my router, etc, but nothing works.

There's places that have the IPSW files.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 21, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's places that have the IPSW files.

:lol: I can't turn off Find My because of no network connection

I found the IPSW and shift-clicking update in iTunes (I thought it was Restore, hence the need to turn off Find My) seems to have gotten it to start updating. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Great, now I'm getting an "unknown error" when either trying to update with the beta IPSW, or restoring to factory defaults.

Guess it's toast until 16.0.