Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I always loudly exclaim "TIME TO LET THE FARTS OUT" right before I cut packers open. It's gross and something I have not gotten used to, but have wholly accepted as a step in a delicious process.

lol what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I thought salting that early pulls the water out of the meat?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Goddammit…. Cookout got cancelled due to COVID. Good thing they told me ASAP. Was about to buy a big ol brisket this morning.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

VelociBacon posted:

I thought salting that early pulls the water out of the meat?

It allows the salt to penetrate the meat for flavour. The "juiciness" of a brisket comes from the collagen and fat that breaks down and renders during a long slow cook. Most of your actual water in the meat will cook out.

The stall in temperature that occurs when cooking low and slow is literally water evaporating out of the meat and cooling it off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sinburger posted:

It allows the salt to penetrate the meat for flavour. The "juiciness" of a brisket comes from the collagen and fat that breaks down and renders during a long slow cook. Most of your actual water in the meat will cook out.

The stall in temperature that occurs when cooking low and slow is literally water evaporating out of the meat and cooling it off.

Cool, appreciate it. If you aren't slow cooking something do you avoid salting it before cooking then?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, salt is a flavor enhancer for most meats for most types of cooking. Using it to retain moisture makes sense if what you are cooking has a long opportunity to do so, like a roast, slow cooker, or pressure cooker recipe. It can get unhealthy if you have a high protein diet like I do, just be sensible about it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I mean, salt is a flavor enhancer for most meats for most types of cooking. Using it to retain moisture makes sense if what you are cooking has a long opportunity to do so, like a roast, slow cooker, or pressure cooker recipe. It can get unhealthy if you have a high protein diet like I do, just be sensible about it.

Sorry I realize that my post seemed stupid now, I meant the difference between salting before or after cooking. Ie with eggs you don't salt until the end because it breaks down the egg a bit. I'd still be consuming the same amount, the question is a salty seasoning/brine the night before vs salting near/at the end.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Ie with eggs you don't salt until the end because it breaks down the egg a bit.

What? No, with eggs you want to salt ahead of time. Just ask St Kenji.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

VelociBacon posted:

Cool, appreciate it. If you aren't slow cooking something do you avoid salting it before cooking then?

I always salt the night before cooking, even if it's for a steak I'm going sear off at high heat. The water loss is minimal, the salt itself draws water back into the meat, and the salt adds flavor. Look up dry brining if you want more info as lots of articles have been written about the benefits of it.

I also tell myself that letting it dry overnight in your fridge makes it easier to get a good crust during the sear, but that might be a false assumption.

Edit: I'll add that you don't use a ton of salt if you're dry brining a steak or something. You sprinkle all sides with some nice flakey kosher salt. The bigger the meat and longer the cook, the more salt you can get away with.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 7, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Not to cause an egg derail, but:
1) do not add salt to scrambled eggs until they're set
2) do add salt to a whole egg that's being fried.

The salt dentures the proteins and causes them to release water, which when scrambling can make them rubbery.

Source: McGee or Cooks Illustrated idk

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That’s why you add the salt ahead of time, before the egg even hits the heat.

McGee notes that salt doesn’t toughen eggs (because while it breaks the protein down, it also buffers the moisture that’s released so that it doesn’t toughen up.)

And in testing, here’s what Kenji found:

15 minutes prior to cooking: The least watery and the most tender, with moist, soft curds

Just before cooking: Moderately tender and not watery

Toward the end of cooking: Toughest of the three, with a tendency to weep liquid onto the plate

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yes egg derail. If you hard boiled an egg then cracked the shell without removing it a la tea egg, could you smoke it and have the smokiness show up in the egg?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/qJDrMuz.mp4

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I love seeing a master work his craft.

Ribs are on sale this week. Gonna pick up a few racks and try different things.

3-2-1 method, (or maybe a 3-1-1 so they have a bit of pull) on the pellet grill.

2-4 hours at 275 in the pellet grill.

Finally, I got a cheap offset smoker last weekend for even cheaper because it was used. Once the heat gasket tape I ordered comes in and I can plug it up I'll muck around with that. It has a fire grate in the cooking chamber itself for direct grilling so I'll play with smoking and grilling as well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats on the preseasoned smoker. I've always wanted to stuff a 100 pound steel plate in the smoking chamber of a cheap offset. It would do two things: add thermal mass and redistribute smoke and heat throughout the grill like a reverse plane.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

I love seeing a master work his craft.

Ribs are on sale this week. Gonna pick up a few racks and try different things.

3-2-1 method, (or maybe a 3-1-1 so they have a bit of pull) on the pellet grill.

2-4 hours at 275 in the pellet grill.

Finally, I got a cheap offset smoker last weekend for even cheaper because it was used. Once the heat gasket tape I ordered comes in and I can plug it up I'll muck around with that. It has a fire grate in the cooking chamber itself for direct grilling so I'll play with smoking and grilling as well.

I did no wrap on a Weber kettle and it turned out amazing, don't be afraid to do one rack unwrapped.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

crondaily posted:

I did no wrap on a Weber kettle and it turned out amazing, don't be afraid to do one rack unwrapped.

For sure. The only one I was going to do wrapped was the 3-2-1 rack. The rest I want to work on my unwrapped ribs.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

For sure. The only one I was going to do wrapped was the 3-2-1 rack. The rest I want to work on my unwrapped ribs.

I found 2 hours would melt the ribs to a point where I didn't want them (fall off the bone) but experimenting is definitely the move, enjoy the cook!

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

crondaily posted:

I found 2 hours would melt the ribs to a point where I didn't want them (fall off the bone) but experimenting is definitely the move, enjoy the cook!

Yea, I was thinking of a 3-1-1 instead to keep them a bit sturdier. Tough enough to wave around while arguing with in-laws, tender enough to pull right off with a bite.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sinburger posted:

Yea, I was thinking of a 3-1-1 instead to keep them a bit sturdier. Tough enough to wave around while arguing with in-laws, tender enough to pull right off with a bite.

You're talking about a competition finish then. None of those recipes use a wrap. Not gonna try and convince you to do anything differently since you're experimenting though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

VelociBacon posted:

You can get a good effect from salting ahead of time on pretty much anything. Salt draws moisture out, that dissolves the salt, and then the moisture is reabsorbed, carrying the salt back in to the meat with it and getting everything nice and seasoned. It's just that this happens way faster for a smaller cut compared to a big 16 pound brisket or pork butt.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

um excuse me posted:

You're talking about a competition finish then. None of those recipes use a wrap. Not gonna try and convince you to do anything differently since you're experimenting though.

Exactly, the racks were pretty narrow and only 1.5 lbs each, so I grabbed 6. Lots of ways to experiment, and I'm going to do a bunch without wrapping at all.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

3-2-1 made my ribs mushy. Always keep them unwrapped now. If I ever do try wrapping against it will be 3-1-1 or 4-1-1.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I was talking to one of the staff at one of those old timey farm museum places where they try and do some subset of the work the way it would have been done back in the day specifically about a small smoke house not unlike that one. Maybe a bit bigger and stone walls but still a wooden roof and door.

The trick was that it's a very, very low smolder that with a tight fitting door creates a very low oxygen environment, just a few wisps of smoke. They would hang the meat in there for weeks and months at a time but it was practically a cold smoke with the temps never getting very high at all.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Murgos posted:

I was talking to one of the staff at one of those old timey farm museum places where they try and do some subset of the work the way it would have been done back in the day specifically about a small smoke house not unlike that one. Maybe a bit bigger and stone walls but still a wooden roof and door.

The trick was that it's a very, very low smolder that with a tight fitting door creates a very low oxygen environment, just a few wisps of smoke. They would hang the meat in there for weeks and months at a time but it was practically a cold smoke with the temps never getting very high at all.

Is there so little air that the food doesn't rot? Or would they salt the gently caress out of the meat / hope the nitrates keep them from dying?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tomfoolery posted:

Is there so little air that the food doesn't rot? Or would they salt the gently caress out of the meat / hope the nitrates keep them from dying?

I think it was generally salted before smoking but I didn't drill down on details.

edit maybe not:

quote:

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1988-12-25-2658476-story.html (Don't click this it's full of ads, relevant part below)
Q - I recently bought an old stone farmstead. Besides the house and summer kitchen, there is a curious little building toward the back part of the yard. It is also made of stone, but is only four foot square and about five feet high. Inside, the walls and roof are all blackened as if there were a fire inside. What could this building possibly be? - L.C., Emmaus.

A - The building you describe was once a common addition to Lehigh Valley homesteads - a smokehouse.

Cold smoking is a long, slow process that can last weeks with temperatures never exceeding 85 degrees. Small amounts of smoke flow around the meat or cheese, gradually permeating the tissues to give a mellow and delicate flavor. In an old stone smokehouse, this was the method commonly used. A small wood fire was kept barely alive, as it smoldered its way through chips, green branches, or sawdust from hickory, apple or oak. The beauty of the cold smoked products is that they keep for months.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 10, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there any trick to making removing silver skin on ribs not the absolute worst? The last two times I got fed up and just “popped” them via sliding a chopstick in and breaking them and leaving it there. Though truth be told that solidly seems to be good enough as they disappear during cooking.

Knowing my luck they remove them at the butcher and I’ve been wasting my time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Warbird posted:

Is there any trick to making removing silver skin on ribs not the absolute worst? The last two times I got fed up and just “popped” them via sliding a chopstick in and breaking them and leaving it there. Though truth be told that solidly seems to be good enough as they disappear during cooking.

Not sure if this is a good way to do it or not, but (the only time so far) that I did ribs, I read to just score it up a whole lot so it doesn't interrupt anyone from taking a bite and it will work out fine.

Seemed to, from what I remember. My frustration with those ribs came from them being St. Louis style so they had all the cartilage pieces running perpendicular to the bones on the back side so cutting the ribs apart was a complete pain in the rear end.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can use paper towels to improve your grip when dragging them off.

Honestly I also feel that they mostly disappear during cooking, so I've started leaving them. It makes sense you want everything flawless for a competition, but for myself on a Tuesday, eh, it's fine.
e: this is for pork, I don't know about beef because $$$$

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 11, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea the paper towel trick is what I use. But even then each cow is different, some will be easier, some will tear a million times. Ribs are all fun and games and that's the only parts that's hard about them.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I score them down each bone and the long way a few times, works well!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, paper towels. And a dining knife to get under it to get it started. Certainly not a fun task, but I feel I've gotten a little better with practice.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
You don’t need to remove the skin for beef ribs. For pork I just get an edge going with a butter knife and use paper towel for grip. Works well.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, leaving them on for beef ribs helps keep the meat attached to the bone.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Echoing paper towel. It's weird how much better it improves your grip on the membrane.

Doing some St. Louis style ribs tomorrow. Always fun trying to jam two full racks in to my WSM14.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Echoing paper towel. It's weird how much better it improves your grip on the membrane.

Doing some St. Louis style ribs tomorrow. Always fun trying to jam two full racks in to my WSM14.

I’ve done three racks on a 14 inch. Had to cut them in half though. I’ve heard you can also turn them sideways and curl them into each other, but some argue that curling and forcing the meat to stretch like that during a smoke may result in less tender ribs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I hear you on the paper towel but it’s always rip and tear city for me if I can even get enough leverage to grip the drat thing.

I also just cook the ribs without wrapping or anything so clearly I’m the weirdo here.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Warbird posted:

I use a spoon handle on a basic metal spoon. Gets in there easy and allows me to pull it up in one go.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I pull it off with my teeth while I glare menacingly at my dog. Gets the silver skin off and reinforces the hierarchy. Win win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Got three racks of ribs on the grill now. Going to try a 2-1-1 with these guys using different sauces at the end. I don't have my charcoal grill where I want it right now so experimenting with hit and fast smokes and direct grilling will have to wait until next week.

Warbird posted:

I just did three racks a few minutes ago. Worry a finger under the skin at one end, until you have a tiny bit to pull on, then use paper towel to give extra grip. The skin should peel right off.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 11, 2022