Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weembles posted:

The point is that the "EVs will fix everything" crowd is forgetting that not everyone lives in the suburbs with a house. If you live in an apartment you're at the mercy of your landlord to install something - unless you don't have an off street parking space in which case you're just hosed.
The point is that gently caress cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Overheard an ad on the local radio for an app that gives you rebates on gas: "Dude, don't walk!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

the bitcoin of weed posted:

biked to work today it was lovely aside from having to smell car fumes at the points that required me to cross a busy street. imagine if there were no cars and you could just bike directly in the road, with other bike chads, how lovely would that be

There are a lot of american roads that would probably be great if you rode bikes

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Imagine if no cars

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/kbrettland/status/1535049971149438976

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zerg Mans posted:

the nissan leaf costs $24k

hmm, good point, if $8/gallon is expensive for you shelling out 24k should be no issue

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not guaranteed a parking space in front of my house or even on my block.

An EV is completely unviable for me and for millions of other Americans with similar housing setups.

It's just another bandaid on the actual problem.

sounds like some lazy rear end here doesn’t want to lobby the city to semi-privatize street parking by letting HOMEOWNERS own sole right to park in a space outside their home operated by a reservation and ticketing tech company

bing bong it’s simple, now you always have a spot for a $240 month parking pass entitlement

think of all that revenue going to waste

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

I'm not guaranteed a parking space in front of my house or even on my block.

An EV is completely unviable for me and for millions of other Americans with similar housing setups.

It's just another bandaid on the actual problem.
Break away from car brain. Just bike or get an electric bike. Even in Texas, I bike for nearly all my trips within the city limits. The rest I walk.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

leftist heap posted:

gently caress cars and gently caress electric cars too

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Ride a meat bike so that instead of spending all of your money on gas or electricity you can spend it on food

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Break away from car brain. Just bike or get an electric bike. Even in Texas, I bike for nearly all my trips within the city limits. The rest I walk.

i wish i could bike year round but snow + ice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

802.11weed posted:

i wish i could bike year round but snow + ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6P4oAIzo8U

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

The point is that gently caress cars

Always the right answer.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

that owns but it would require the government to do 1 more thing and thats just not feasible. we're lucky that they bother clearing (most, not all) sidewalks . i walk to work year round but i'm lucky and live close by. still half the route doesnt get cleared lol

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

That's great. This is much better than my experience biking through Philly in the winter. Didn't stop me though. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Pittsburgh for biking.

I can bike around a lot of Houston, but arterial roads and highways really gently caress me (and pedestrians) over. The only way to cross bayous and highways is on arterial roads. In most of the city I bike in slow local streets, but the car centered infrastructure just forces you onto a four lane road with Ford F150s at 45 mph at those choke points. It's still better than the suburbs that prevent any biking along slow local roads because each neighborhood only has one or two entrances to a 60 mph highway.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

eh, yeah point taken, but I think covid got politicized pretty drat early

It did, but the fact that western society couldn't help but divide itself around something that should have been as apolitical as "wear a mask during a pandemic" does not give me a whole lot of hope about much

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfKN3hT05c&t=129s

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Suplex Liberace posted:

Had a lovely 3 hour ride today. Encourage all in the thread to do it.

gently caress yeah I love trains

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

If it weren't for cars would we have cellphones as they are now?

mystes
May 31, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

If it weren't for cars would we have cellphones as they are now?
They're great on busses and trains

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mystes posted:

They're great on busses and trains

Huh. I guess PDA would have been more popular because early cellphones were just only used to making voice calls, which is easy to do in a car, but annoying on public transit.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

it's been recurring that when i run my neighborhood loop with my dog, i nearly get run over at the roundabout crosswalk (where all the cars are already yielding to other cars), because people just wave at me and don't yield. two carbrains did it in a row today.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It used to be people would go to great lengths to avoid you if you were walking a dog, pushing a stroller etc. Not anymore.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

just carry your car battery inside every night to charge, bing bong (break it into pieces if ur a weakling)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

On my ride today we stopped to help a 53 year old guy who dashed his head on the pavement because he lost control of his bike and didn't wear a helmet. Wear a loving helmet.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

On my ride today we stopped to help a 53 year old guy who dashed his head on the pavement because he lost control of his bike and didn't wear a helmet. Wear a loving helmet.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

they really were sending their best over here
https://twitter.com/CarlaHSands/status/1535091239246340104?t=u4ZXuU1shW4lqw_wTXnZyw&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The guy really lived that far from public transportation in Copenhagen?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

A few years ago I saw an old lady fall in the street and smack her head on the floor, knocking her out cold. The paramedics arrived amazingly quickly, it could only have been two or three minutes but the lady was still not responding and there was a trickle of blood running toward the gutter.

The chances of this head injury occurring were probably much, much greater than my chance of sustaining a head injury riding a bike at 10mph down a canal towpath yet no-one thought to criticise the old lady for not wearing a helmet.

weird

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Wear a loving helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yL5usLFgY

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Wear a loving helmet.

gently caress off with this dog brained routine

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

get a load of these daredevils just begging to have their brains splattered across the pavement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ4UFUOoizs

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

americabrain is a motherfucker

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sphyre posted:

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1533458186589483009

turns out that ebikes are actually even better than acoustic bikes :cheers:

Alright I was digging back looking for the calvin's dad sicko image and actually looked at this study and it's basically bullshit.

quote:

Overall physical activity is higher among e-bikers than among cyclists (4463 vs. 4085 MET minutes per week), although the difference was small (<10%) and not significant (p-value among the three bicycle type groups is below 0.001 but confidence interval of e-bikers and cyclists overlap). Both e-bikers and cyclists were significantly more active than non-cyclists. The largest difference between e-bikers and cyclists was reported in terms of work-related activity (physical activity done at work), while travel-related physical activity was similar. Physical activity from active travel modes was almost the same in e-bikers and cyclists (1735 vs. 1656 MET min/wk., respectively).

So the bulk of the difference in MET minutes a week actually comes from self-reported work related activity, not from the cycling itself:

Somehow the e-bike group reported nearly double the level of work related activity compared to cyclists and non-cyclists in a sample of over 7k people? That seems... super unlikely.

Personally I would also quibble a bit with the MET values used for cycling vs. e-bike (6.8 vs 5.0) but it's mostly fine I guess. For cycling that represents roughly under 19km/h, whereas any more than that is pushing upwards of 8 MET. For the e-biking that value comes from an estimate from 1 study of 20 participants using pedelecs, although 5 MET for pedelec e-biking doesn't seem that crazy. Anything with more assistance is gonna be a lower MET value though and the above doesn't control for what sort of e-bike was being used at all.

Also found it funny that the study shows that people substituting an e-bike for a traditional bike end up getting less exercise overall lol.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ardennes posted:

The guy really lived that far from public transportation in Copenhagen?

I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
maybe she mistook that guy talking about commuting through the snow for fun as complaining about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

good video, good av