Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

thinking about the alternate future we should have had where president sanders is on tv every night waving his finger around and telling manchin and sinema to do their loving jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I thought there was an interview with Kamala Harris, from the primaries maybe, where she said she was against legalizing cannabis because it would rob CA of valuable prison labor. Was this real/does anyone have it?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I thought there was an interview with Kamala Harris, from the primaries maybe, where she said she was against legalizing cannabis because it would rob CA of valuable prison labor. Was this real/does anyone have it?

i remember that, it was a memo or opinion or something her california AG's office wrote, and i think it might have been in opposition to decarceration in general and not weed

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i remember that, it was a memo or opinion or something her california AG's office wrote, and i think it might have been in opposition to decarceration in general and not weed

Still pretty evil imo, even if it misses my personal favorite issue specifically

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inspector Hound posted:

It was a court case that she had with the feds as attorney general.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1534763208564690944

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1534763365628788736

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1534728188747583488

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The best conspiracy theory regarding HW/Clinton was always that HW was supposed to win re-election and then the '93 WTC bombings would've been the pretext for the security state expansion later carried out under W.

Clinton was a legitimate spoiler and not really connected with big money the way HW was at the time. His facilitation of dope running into the country through Arkansas was mostly as an accessory to the actual guy doing the work, Dan Lasater.

But the economy poo poo itself for a couple of months and Ross Perot showed some charts and whoops Clinton won.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Just :lol: that this made it to air, they could have just said Jimmy Kimmel tested positive for COVID and aired a rerun instead

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: that this made it to air, they could have just said Jimmy Kimmel tested positive for COVID and aired a rerun instead

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The best conspiracy theory regarding HW/Clinton was always that HW was supposed to win re-election and then the '93 WTC bombings would've been the pretext for the security state expansion later carried out under W.

Clinton was a legitimate spoiler and not really connected with big money the way HW was at the time. His facilitation of dope running into the country through Arkansas was mostly as an accessory to the actual guy doing the work, Dan Lasater.

But the economy poo poo itself for a couple of months and Ross Perot showed some charts and whoops Clinton won.

HW was supposed to already have been in his second term but his friend Hinckleys son had lovely aim

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Courts were trying to order them to offer prisoners triple time (every day of good behavior counts as 3 days of good behavior) for a large number of diversion programs, as a way of reducing crowding in prisons. This was previously a benefit only offered to people who were signed up to fight fires. The idea is that you have this list of programs, like work or education programs- including fighting fires- where you get double good behavior days. At the time (and probably still tbh) when you were actually out fighting fires, you'd get triple time for those days, which nobody else got. So the court said, ok, we've told you to do a million different things to reduce the crowding and you haven't done any of them, you say they all cost money so fine, whatever. If you just give everyone triple time who's getting double time, that doesn't cost a goddamn thing so now you have to do that. And Harris's office said "ah, but it does cost money because then the state would have to offer quadruple time to keep people on fire crews, which means that firefighters would get out of prison sooner, which means the state would have to pay for non-slaves probably".

The extremely half-assed solution they're being asked to implement just makes the whole thing more infuriating. Like when you keep in mind that the conditions of california prisons have been ruled cruel and unusual, the fact that they're loving around over slightly bending incentive structures and harris is still stonewalling everything is loving abominable.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Spergin Morlock posted:

thinking about the alternate future we should have had where president sanders is on tv every night waving his finger around and telling manchin and sinema to do their loving jobs

its the same timeline

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Iron Crowned posted:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

eSports Chaebol posted:

HW was supposed to already have been in his second term but his friend Hinckleys son had lovely aim

third term

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

eSports Chaebol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5_YuCWTMA&t=34s

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Courts were trying to order them to offer prisoners triple time (every day of good behavior counts as 3 days of good behavior) for a large number of diversion programs, as a way of reducing crowding in prisons. This was previously a benefit only offered to people who were signed up to fight fires. The idea is that you have this list of programs, like work or education programs- including fighting fires- where you get double good behavior days. At the time (and probably still tbh) when you were actually out fighting fires, you'd get triple time for those days, which nobody else got. So the court said, ok, we've told you to do a million different things to reduce the crowding and you haven't done any of them, you say they all cost money so fine, whatever. If you just give everyone triple time who's getting double time, that doesn't cost a goddamn thing so now you have to do that. And Harris's office said "ah, but it does cost money because then the state would have to offer quadruple time to keep people on fire crews, which means that firefighters would get out of prison sooner, which means the state would have to pay for non-slaves probably".

The extremely half-assed solution they're being asked to implement just makes the whole thing more infuriating. Like when you keep in mind that the conditions of california prisons have been ruled cruel and unusual, the fact that they're loving around over slightly bending incentive structures and harris is still stonewalling everything is loving abominable.

harris had a perfectly reasonable excuse for why that didn't reflect bad on her, and that was because she didn't know her office was saying that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not malicious, i'm merely incompetent and blame everything on my subordinates. oh, that's malicious too? there's no winning with you people. *extended unsettling laugh*

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not malicious, i'm merely incompetent and blame everything on my subordinates. oh, that's malicious too? there's no winning with you people. *extended unsettling laugh*

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

harris had a perfectly reasonable excuse for why that didn't reflect bad on her, and that was because she didn't know her office was saying that

I have no doubt that she just told her subordinates to stonewall any and all orders to make california prisons not violate the 8th amendment on the basis it would be too expensive to respect peoples' civil rights, and didn't look too closely into what specific arguments they were making to that effect.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

this is literally where I heard about it first which is really crazy. RIP Trevor Moore whatever you finally did to piss off the illuminati

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

I have no doubt that she just told her subordinates to stonewall any and all orders to make california prisons not violate the 8th amendment on the basis it would be too expensive to respect peoples' civil rights, and didn't look too closely into what specific arguments they were making to that effect.

real leadership would have been explicitly telling them not to tell her the details so that she could maintain plausible deniability when she blamed it on her staff going rogue

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
harris doesn't care about the wellbeing of prisoners to the extent that she can't imagine anyone could care. she's devoid of empathy, sure, nothing uncommon about that among politicians. but she's also not smart enough to figure out how to fake it. that's what always trips her up. every time, the very concept of empathy takes her by total surprise.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"BUT PEOPLE CAN CHANGE!"

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

moist turtleneck posted:

Biden has tried everything to stop gun violence

He's tried screaming Do Something,

The only thing that stops gun violence is more gun violence.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

biden has trump brain lol

THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA IS BEING VERY UNFAIR TO ME :yooge:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

President Biden posted:

The President's approval rating is really low. Someone ought to do something about that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

yellowcar posted:

lol it's like he wants the fans of his team to be mad at the other team for playing too well

50 years in politics

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

yellowcar posted:

lol he's going to die sad and unpopular because of donald trump, so at least some good can theoretically come as a result of democrats existing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Joe’s brain is sleepy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They all have trump brain, that's why Trump infuriates them so.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the summit of the americas is super real. here's the president of venezuela now, juan "el macho" guerrero was it? welcome

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Penisaurus Sex posted:

As someone who grew up in southern Arkansas and who has multiple family member or friends that worked for Clinton, Lasater, Malone, and several other people in that same circle, it was always wild to me that none of the poo poo Clinton was involved in made much of splash in the news. Clinton was definitely connected to some big money but none of it was very legitimate.

There’s all this talk about how crooked Hillary was, the whitewater scandal, and the affairs but nothing about him packing state contractors with his buddies and any related kickbacks. I’ve never seen any investigation into any of that. There is a former state senator that made a killing off some shady prison and hospital contracts in partnership with Clinton.

There are some great tapes on file in the Arkansas law library on interviews of the lawyers involved in whitewater. They were made after the statute of limitations ran on the crimes and are hilariously detailed explanations of how the scam worked and why the FBI never managed to work it out enough to prosecute. I kept meaning to make a digital copy of them before I moved but just never got around to it.

Clinton was a facilitator for all manner of shady poo poo while he was governor. People just didn’t want to rock the boat and come forward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lawlicaust posted:

As someone who grew up in southern Arkansas and who has multiple family member or friends that worked for Clinton, Lasater, Malone, and several other people in that same circle, it was always wild to me that none of the poo poo Clinton was involved in made much of splash in the news. Clinton was definitely connected to some big money but none of it was very legitimate.

There’s all this talk about how crooked Hillary was, the whitewater scandal, and the affairs but nothing about him packing state contractors with his buddies and any related kickbacks. I’ve never seen any investigation into any of that. There is a former state senator that made a killing off some shady prison and hospital contracts in partnership with Clinton.

There are some great tapes on file in the Arkansas law library on interviews of the lawyers involved in whitewater. They were made after the statute of limitations ran on the crimes and are hilariously detailed explanations of how the scam worked and why the FBI never managed to work it out enough to prosecute. I kept meaning to make a digital copy of them before I moved but just never got around to it.

Clinton was a facilitator for all manner of shady poo poo while he was governor. People just didn’t want to get murdered.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Zvahl posted:

lol he's going to die sad and unpopular because of donald trump, so at least some good can theoretically come as a result of democrats existing

he exists sad and unpopular.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ez8 posted:

he exists sad and unpopular.

The thing about a wretch is they can always become more wretched

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Yeah, this is also true when it relates to the drug trafficking side of things but as soon as you make a statement like that people get really skeptical about anything you say and refuse to listen.

My grandfather grew up with some of the players in the south Arkansas drug trade and even worked for one of them at one point before he realized what was going on. When he realized that the company he worked for was actually a money laundering front and also helping move stolen goods/illegally obtained pharmaceuticals, he got out.

My generation grew up knowing who the dealers we bought from really worked for, a specific state senator in south Arkansas. It’s one of those things that isn’t believable if you don’t grow up in a rural southern town but everyone knows everyone’s business. It’s an open secret who the dealers are, what businesses you don’t gently caress with, and that the cops won’t do poo poo. The man who was sheriff for my whole adolescence was deeply in bed with the whole deal so nothing ever came of anything.

Nothing ever stuck to Clinton because he was several steps away from being directly involved. Some of the people involved were friends and major donors.
You’d see them out at dinner with him. Many of them ended up with very lucrative state contracts. Whitewater was the only thing that sort of ever came of all the shady poo poo going on and the FBI couldn’t even figure out how that really worked either.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yep he got the nickname Slick Willie for a reason (or a couple reasons), and his galactic personal charisma helped paper everything over.

Hilary is of course just as corrupt but got saddled with the crooked label because most women can't aw shucks their way out of this kind of stuff in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

The thing about a wretch is they can always become more wretched