Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
definitely feel free to keep going with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm all in favor!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Glad to hear people are enjoying this! I'll try to keep these at a slow burn so I don't overwhelm the thread and drown out other discussions.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 2A) Heavy Meddle

Season 1, Ep 2B) Making the Case
Written by Karla Sakas Shropshire
Storyboarded by Darin McGowan
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln is feeling inadequate because his sisters all have lots of trophies while his spot on the shelf is still empty. To remedy this he decides to enter a video contest at school but quickly hits a wall when his video fails to get any attention. After consulting Luan he shifts strategies and posts a compilation of embarrassing moments he manages to capture of his sisters which immediately pisses them all off when they find out. Feeling guilty he takes down the old video and posts a new one, this one showcasing his own most embarrassing moments. The siblings accept his apology and give him a homemade “most improved brother” trophy which he can now display on his shelf.

Thoughts: OK, so this is closer to what I thought I'd be getting when I first started watching this show. A simple and easy to understand morality tale backed up by characters that genuinely seem to care for each other. It's not a perfect episode by any stretch. A LOT of the humor relies on characters getting publicly embarrassed which set off the second-hand cringe center of my brain pretty bad, and they do the thing where a kid eats used gum AGAIN which made me want to drive to California and yell at the writers in person. But it was decent, you know? The writing got a couple solid chuckles out of me (I particularly liked Lincoln getting jealous of another video having a whopping 50 views) and while I'd argue the resolution was a bit clunky it ultimately works in a way that many other episodes simply do not.

As a side note, Luan in general feels like a missed opportunity to me. She could have been a really funny commentary on stand-up comedians with digs at specific figures in the industry but instead the writers went with a very tired and very broad cliche of the "funny person" who relies on horns and whoopie cushions and whatnot. Also puns. So. Many. Puns. :bang:. She's not too bad here the writers often like to make her intentionally bad at comedy which usually means she's the worst part of the episode if Clyde isn't around. Which is too bad, really. Imagine if her shtick had been that she was unironically good at writing humor? She'd basically be the best sister instead of the worst.

Themes and morals: “Don't post videos of people without their permission” is actually a really good lesson for a generation of kids with cameras in their pockets 24/7. I can see this episode preventing a lot of hurt feelings even if it's not the funniest or the most visually impressive one of the season. I really don't have much to say about it beyond that because unlike other episodes the writers did their jobs pretty competently here. The writers knew what they wanted to say, and tightly wrote an episode around it with no unneeded distractions. Good job, writers! :toot:

Interestingly, this is the first time Lincoln has been properly in the wrong so far. This show likes to depict him as the villain for doing perfectly understandable things a lot of the time but here he's actually a dick and needs to learn a lesson about it. It's refreshing. Though, I'd still hold Luan a bit responsible as well since she told him to get video of the family but never explained proper posting etiquette. What did you think he was going to do!?

Final thoughts: Luan still sucks but her YouTube thumbnail game brought her up a few pegs:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 12, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

readingatwork posted:

but instead the writers went with a very tired and very broad cliche

I'm just quoting this here now because I get the feeling that this is going to be a theme in this cartoon that wants to replicate a bland newspaper comic as its ideal

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
More The Loud House nonsense:

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 2B) Making the Case

Season 1, Ep 3A) Along came a sister
Written by Karla Sakas Shropshire
Storyboard by Jordan Rosato
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: When the teacher leaves town for the weekend to get herself laid Lincoln volunteers to look after the class pet spider Frank despite knowing his sister Leni would kill it on sight. Once home Frank immediately gets loose and hijinks to ensue as Lincoln and his sisters scramble to find Frank before Leni does firsts and murders it. Leni finds Frank first and murders it but at the funeral they discover that they'd mistaken one of the cat's hairballs for a dead spider... somehow. This discovery comes too late though as the dad sees the spider and calls an exterminator. More hijinks ensue as the kids distract the weirdly evil exterminator and try to save the spider. Ultimately though the day is saved by Leni herself who faces her fears and protects Frank for the sake of her brother. Frank goes back to school safe and sound having freshly laid a sack of eggs in the AC ventilation.

Thoughts: *inhales*

Why did Lincoln bring a spider into his house knowing at least 2 members of the family would try and kill it?
Why didn't Lincoln warn his family in advance that a massive spider was in his room so they could avoid it?
Why did Lincoln try to hide the spider from the entire family when only Leni and his dad would care?
Why did Lincoln take the spider out of his tank at all?
Follow up question: Is letting your pet spider out for exercise a thing?
Why didn't Lincoln immediately ask his sisters for help when the spider got loose?
Why is the spider able to teleport?
No, seriously how did everybody confuse a cat hairball for a dead spider?
Why was the exterminator evil?
Why did nobody try to explain the situation to either the dad or the exterminator
Why was the exterminator the only person able to tell a spider from a kid in a costume?
Just... why?

OK so in case you can't tell this one suffers from quite a lot of things happening because the plot demands it. The show doesn't happen if Leni knows the spider is the school pet it so Lincoln decides to hide Frank from the family. The show doesn't happen if the spider stays in it's cage so Lincoln let's it out and then immediately leaves it unsupervised. There's no second act if the siblings just explain the situation to their dad so nobody even tries. Every step of the way there's some kind of lazy contrivance to force the plot along and it got SO frustrating after a while. I'm doing my best to not fall into Cinema Sins mode where I'm calling every little thing out even if it works within the logic of the universe or is clearly supposed to be a joke but it's really hard to do here where these contrivances are so common.

Also, what the hell is up with this trope of the animal control guy being a psychopath that just loves murdering animals? You see this with dog catchers normally but it's the same basic thing here. It was a tired cliché 80s and it bothered me then as well. Can we not do this anymore? Maybe mix things up a bit and have the animal control guy be nice and relatable? Just spitballing here...

Themes and morals: The show seems to think Lincoln's primary mistake was bringing the spider home in the first place which I guess makes the moral “Don't bring your school pet home if your sister might kill it”. It's not exactly the most useful lesson for kids if you ask me and I think if they did another draft of the script they could have done something much more interesting around a theme of poor communication since that's the real problem here. Lincoln could have made taking care of the class pet work if he'd just talked to people openly at any part of this. It's his wanting to save face and his fear that his arachnophobic family members can't handle the truth that keeps making things exponentially worse. I genuinely don't think the show realizes that though.

I will say that I liked the part where Leni faced her fears and stood up to the exterminator for her brother's sake. It was a nice touch. Though I have to say her logic for doing so was kind of weird to me. She seemed primarily focused on the impact on Lincoln's reputation at school when I think the real concern should have been, you know, how bad he'd feel if the class pet got killed on his watch. This show has lots of these weird lapses in emotional intelligence at times and they bug (:v:) the hell out of me. But, whatever. Good job Leni.

Final thoughts: I swear to God it's more dangerous to be a school pet in a TV-PG kid's cartoon than a dog in an R-rated horror movie.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 12, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Another day, another episode of The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 3A) Along came a sister

Season 1, Ep 3B) Chore and Peace
Written by Alec Schwimmer
Storyboard by Ed Baker
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln is tired of taking out the trash and demands that one of his sisters swap chores with him. When they refuse he goes on strike (like with a sign and everything) hoping to force the issue. After living in filth for a while his sisters retaliate in kind, refusing to do their own chores until Lincoln relents. The situation escalates until they mistakenly think they've lost the baby in the growing pile of garbage that's taken over the house. Each Loud sibling uses their unique chore skills to deftly handle the mess until the house is clean again and it's revealed that their parents had the baby the whole time. All is well until Lincoln learns that the trash he just brought to the curb won't get picked up because the garbage workers are on strike. The Loud siblings realize that none of them are getting paid for their work and so the strike resumes.

Thoughts: This is another episode where Lincoln is being reasonable but the show kind of treats him like a jerk anyways. He's not trying to be lazy, he just doesn't want to be on garbage duty anymore. Which, as someone who hates taking out the trash, is something I sympathize with tbh. Seriously, what would the harm be in letting Lincoln swap chores with somebody for a month? Seems to me like that would be a good way to teach him... whatever it is he was supposed to learn here. In fact, that's where I thought the episode was going at first. Lori has a line early on about how if they upset the fragile chore balance of the house all hell will break loose and I figured the episode would be about Lincoln trying new chores and discovering how hard they really are. It's super weird in retrospect because that plot never happens and instead we have this unrelated story about a chore strike.

Anyways the episode itself is pretty mid-tier. The mom has some good reactions to her husband's weird love of jigsaw puzzles I guess, and it's far from the most painful writing this show has produced. Actually, now that I think about it, for an episode about a giant pile of trash there's surprisingly little gross-out humor (zero kids eating used chewing gum!) so I'm going to give it an extra couple points for that.

Themes and morals: The episode starts by trying to tell a story about how The System is good and how you should never try and change your place within it but then that whole plotline just sort of... never happens. Instead we get the chore strike thing which teaches an important lesson about...

Um...

Hrm.

Yeah, I have no idea.

I *think* it's still trying to be about Lincoln learning to accept his place the universe but we never actually see what changing things might have wrought. Instead the conflict is caused by the sister's resistance to change, which kind of flies in the face of everything the episode sets up. Had literally any of the sisters given in the house would never have been flooded with trash and the baby would have never been misplaced. ~Maybe~ things would have gone to poo poo later because Lincoln sets the laundry on fire or something but we never see that happen so we're just sort of supposed to assume it would have been bad.

So yeah, it's a terrible moral but one that was abandoned 3 minutes in, sooooo only half points deducted? Yeah, let's go with that.

Final thoughts: Why didn't Lincoln just take out his own trash? Like, dude, it's not cheating to keep your own room clean and let the rest of the house go to poo poo.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 14, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

honestly it reads as a "if you go on strike, you'll just make things worse" or "strikes are just about making things inconvenient and not about something deeper" than anything, like it's all just a petty nuisance that should have just been solved by going back to the way things are.

there could have been a lesson about making each other's jobs easier by changing their daily behaviors, so the trash isn't so gross or that there's just less of it each week, etc. so he can be justified at his disgust and annoyance, but carry that into solving a fundamental problem.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, near the end of Naruto Shippuden where they've just defeated Kaguya and I had no idea how much worse Sasuke got. He just keeps going deeper into his own little hole and refuses to come out. At least Vegeta learned to chill the gently caress out. (I know they are different types of characters, it's just astounding how much worse Sasuke keeps getting)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is funny hearing about Naruto second hand and how Sasuke apparently has more or less the opposite arc, considering apparently he started out sensible and reasonable enough to actually be understanding of and emphasise with Naruto because they've had similar pasts, even if they reacted to them in very different ways.

Of course, the whole talented goofball vs serious warrior thing is a shonen staple for a reason, it works so well and there's a lot of ways you can go with it. Especially when you emphasise the 'similar but different' parts, and have their development reflect one another.

Weirdly enough One Piece comes to mind where I'd say Luffy and Zoro are specifically the main ones fitting that niche, and unlike most examples there's generally not a lot of rivalry between them- in fact, among the crew members they may actually have the most in common with each other and an understanding of that, with Zoro giving Luffy advice and hard truths on major decisions that Luffy listens to. Not to mention one or two jokes where they give basically the same opinion on something, just adjusted for their personal tastes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The thing with Sasuke being the absolute worst and Naruto's unhealthy way of always forgiving him no matter what becomes rather weird when you consider that Kishimoto modeled their friendship after his relationship with his twin brother.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

amigolupus posted:

The thing with Sasuke being the absolute worst and Naruto's unhealthy way of always forgiving him no matter what becomes rather weird when you consider that Kishimoto modeled their friendship after his relationship with his twin brother.

"You know what? You are pissing me off so much right now I'm going to write a whole comic book about how much you suck! Your character isn't just going to suck, Oh no, he will suck so hard he sucks backwards throughout ALL OF TIME!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Yikes :stare:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

BioEnchanted posted:

"You know what? You are pissing me off so much right now I'm going to write a whole comic book about how much you suck! Your character isn't just going to suck, Oh no, he will suck so hard he sucks backwards throughout ALL OF TIME!"

But that means his brother is a cool uncle now, right?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's kind of hilarious because they've JUST defeated a guy who was all "I erased my past because I didn't like who I was and now I'm nobody" and now Sasuke's being all "I will erase all my ties so I will be the biggest Asshoel" and it's like, "did you learn NOTHING?!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

It's kind of hilarious because they've JUST defeated a guy who was all "I erased my past because I didn't like who I was and now I'm nobody" and now Sasuke's being all "I will erase all my ties so I will be the biggest Asshoel" and it's like, "did you learn NOTHING?!"

Thaaaat's our Sasuke! :imunfunny:

*studio audience claps*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe Sasuke needed to kiss Naruto some more?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do appreciate how ugly the final fight between them gets, culminating in both of them completely out of chakra, completely abandoning any pretense of ninjitsu, both of their headbands are long since lost and they are just slugging it out, ankle deep in what was once a mighty river, the statues of Madara and the first hokage completely reduced to nothing. For the actual final blow they find a second wind, but that section of the fight is just brutal, neither of them blocking the other, just tanking the hits and losing blood and teeth all over the place.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I watched another episode of The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Ep 3B) Chore and Peace

Season 1, Ep 4A) Project Loud House
Written by Chris Savino and Michael Rubiner
Storyboard by Chris Savino
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: After much hard work Lincoln's diorama about his family is finally complete and all that's left is to get it to school on time. To do this he must get it to the car in one piece while navigating the minefield that is his sisters. There are several close calls but Lincoln cleverly works with each sibling to resolve their problems and get them out the door in record time. Unfortunately despite all his planning Lincoln trips at the last moment and the diorama is destroyed. His sisters come to the rescue and salvage the project by coming to Lincoln's class and posing in person to recreate it. Lincoln has a short speech about how despite it's challenges he loves his family and earns an A (before Luan gets half a letter grade knocked off by pranking the teacher. Luan! :argh:).

Thoughts: This episode feels like it was meant to be the pilot, or at least was one of the first written episodes. It basically functions as a thesis statement for the show, introducing both Lincoln and his brand of benevolent scheming as well as the quirks of the various sisters in the house. It also explores the central theme of “this family is chaotic but everybody still loves each other” that most episodes at least touch on a little. And it's, um, pretty good actually. Yeah, I really don't have a lot of clever digs on this one. It's just a solid episode without many glaring flaws to gripe about. Why can't the whole show be like this!?

A ton of thought and effort seems to have gone into the details of this one. The storyboarding is solid, the joke timing is well done, everybody gets fun little moments that make you like them, and there's none of the lazy contrivances that plagued episodes like Chore and Peace or the weird/bad messages of episodes like Heavy Meddle. Chris Savino (who still sucks) seems to have done most of the work on this episode and you can really tell he's writing from experience with living in a large family. I won't say it's perfect, even at it's best the writing style comes off just a touch artificial and insincere with lots of Dreamworks style mugging for the camera and I must have asked “why don't you just tell your sisters not to destroy your project?” like ten times. However these issues are pretty minor and it all comes together with an ending that felt pretty genuine. This is by far the best episode of TLH so far.

Themes and morals: This episode is less a morality tale and more a meditation on the challenges and benefits of living in a large family. At the end of the episode Lincoln basically says the thesis sentence to the camera which is essentially “A large family is a challenge but they always have your back when it counts”, which sums up the episode pretty succinctly. It's fairly simple but a nice sentiment all the same. And... that's kind of it. You see family be frustrating -> Lincoln gets in trouble -> Family is there for Lincoln. Boom, done. Very easy to wrap your head around.

The interesting part is in the execution where you see how this theme is put into practice. Lincoln could just yell at everybody to get his way but he doesn't. He clearly loves these people and, more importantly, seems to enjoy the time he spends trying to get them to cooperate. You see him play sports while trying to dress the baby, resolving sibling disputes, suggesting poetry rhymes, and protecting sisters from pranks by other sisters and while he gets frustrated he's more or less enjoying each step. The episode *shows* you why Lincoln likes being a member of his family and in turn you see why the siblings would be there for him in turn. It's very well handled and I wish more episodes put this kind of thought into this part of the writing.

Final thoughts: I was completely ready to slam the episode for having Lincoln feed Lucy words for her poem the whole episode and then never use them, but nope! She totally did. Every single one of them. It's a nice touch and a lot of cartoons (including this one at times) wouldn't have bothered.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Been watching Kipo And The Age Of Wonderbeasts for the first time, it’s awesome. Did the creators go on to do anything notable afterwards out of curiosity?

Also Steven Universe question since I’m thinking of finally tackling that series eventually as well, does every villain in the series wind up getting Friendship no Jutsu’d by the end of their run or are there any bad guys that just stay bad guys and are dealt with accordingly?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 15, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

does every villain in the series wind up getting Friendship no Jutsu’d
I could answer your question but am curious to know how that would affect your experience of the series one way or the other

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I could answer your question but am curious to know how that would affect your experience of the series one way or the other

I don’t care about spoilers and from what I hear the rest of the series is decent regardless so go ahead and be honest

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The vast majority of antagonists are no longer antagonistic by the end of the series. The majority are allies and friends.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

The vast majority of antagonists are no longer antagonistic by the end of the series. The majority are allies and friends.

That’s what I’ve heard yeah, any exceptions to that rule out of curiosity?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

There are a few loose ends.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

Jasper ends the series mostly respecting Steven's power but not really coming around to the whole friendship-and-hugs vibes that everyone else does

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good enough for me.

Going back to my first question, did any of the Kipo creators/staff go on to work on anything notable after the show ended?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

The only ones I can think of really are like, Jasper and Sour Cream's dad. Jasper is kind of a grey area and sort of chooses for herself that she doesn't want to be a part of the good guy crew. She isolates herself and really only respects Steven when he finds out a big major spoiler about him.

And Sour Cream's real dad is a huge rear end in a top hat and the show never attempts to redeem him and he makes no attempts himself to do be better either. There's also Kevin who is just kind of a jerk teenager but he's only really an antagonist in the sense that he's a barrier that Steven and Connie need to deal with a few times.

Any of the big bad space ladies eventually get redeemed or are shown trying to make up for the bad stuff they did. Like if you're eventually looking for White Diamond to get punished in any meaningful way beyond learning the power of friendship, you will be disappointed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There was the Aquamarine/Ruby fusion whose name I can't remember that flew off like Team Rocket near the end

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also any of the sapient plantlife that Steven creates tends to decide to wander off to do it's own thing.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Larryb posted:

Good enough for me.

Going back to my first question, did any of the Kipo creators/staff go on to work on anything notable after the show ended?

Creator Radford Sechrist was head of story for Wish Dragon in 2021, and co-showrunner Bill Wolkoff (who wrote nine episodes) wrote two episodes of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds that just came out: "Ghosts of Illyria" and "Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach".

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 15, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, The Ghost and Molly McGee has apparently started back up again if anyone’s interested

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

readingatwork posted:

A ton of thought and effort seems to have gone into the details of this one. The storyboarding is solid, the joke timing is well done, everybody gets fun little moments that make you like them, and there's none of the lazy contrivances that plagued episodes like Chore and Peace or the weird/bad messages of episodes like Heavy Meddle. Chris Savino (who still sucks) seems to have done most of the work on this episode and you can really tell he's writing from experience with living in a large family. I won't say it's perfect, even at it's best the writing style comes off just a touch artificial and insincere with lots of Dreamworks style mugging for the camera and I must have asked “why don't you just tell your sisters not to destroy your project?” like ten times. However these issues are pretty minor and it all comes together with an ending that felt pretty genuine. This is by far the best episode of TLH so far.

Pffft, that's just asking them to zero-in and destroy it deliberately.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1537314312926003201

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The best line in the history of the universe - "Not S&P Approved" has been approved by S&P"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I like the note asking him to remove a scene of a guy putting an arm around another guy because it ~might~ be interpreted as flirtatious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love the big long paragraph about the basketball monkey and the response just being "this is the dumbest collection of notes I've ever received"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm amused at the idea that a reference to Spin The Bottle is going to scandalize their tween target demographic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BioEnchanted posted:

The best line in the history of the universe - "Not S&P Approved" has been approved by S&P"

Can that be a thread title? How long can those be?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

He posted some more that weren't in the video

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1537319255154171906

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1537335035182784512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just announced today, but the Miraculous Ladybug director and studio are helming a new CG Astro Boy series.