Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Scionix posted:

I hope the emira doesnt become a collector's item because i am buying the poo poo out of it if it depreciates a lil'

“Why did no one buy this car new?” Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Full Collapse posted:

While decimating their voter base lmao

Please stop buying new cars so I can buy one

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Please stop buying new cars so I can buy one

You just have to wait a while to get one! The Civic LX I got my name on for my girlfriend got built a week or so ago and should hopefully be here by the end of the month. Wish I'd been able to get a higher trim but pickings are slim.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

fknlo posted:

You just have to wait a while to get one! The Civic LX I got my name on for my girlfriend got built a week or so ago and should hopefully be here by the end of the month. Wish I'd been able to get a higher trim but pickings are slim.

Could you not have simply placed an order for a higher trim? That seems to always be an option in Ontario.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

The sales people had a good laugh when I inquired about finding a Sport Hatchback w/manual in Boost Blue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Could you not have simply placed an order for a higher trim? That seems to always be an option in Ontario.

If I’d wanted to wait for several more months, sure. I could have hit more dealers but it was the color she wanted and the additional bells and whistles matter way more to me than her. Like she’s using my Prius which has touch entry and she flat out doesn’t use it. Same with the heated seats in her last car which is just insane to me.

Koirhor posted:

The sales people had a good laugh when I inquired about finding a Sport Hatchback w/manual in Boost Blue

This lx was the only hatch they had free for the foreseeable future. So I jumped on it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

You can’t buy a new car, unless you’re willing to order and wait. Or call around and snatch somebody’s order.

Was looking at A5 Sportbacks, and everything that’s in stock has a ‘semiconductor shortage package’ on the window sticker that removes automatic cruise control, rear cross-traffic warning, and something else I did not care about (wireless charging cradle, maybe)

Oh, you get a whooping $1,350 discount.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No adaptive cruise on a new car is a deal breaker.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 11, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

morothar posted:

Was looking at A5 Sportbacks, and everything that’s in stock has a ‘semiconductor shortage package’ on the window sticker that removes automatic cruise control, rear cross-traffic warning, and something else I did not care about (wireless charging cradle, maybe)

Should have called it the RS Lightweight package and charged $1350 more for it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

now is the time to invest in miatas, buy and hold

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've got a new game: what cars for sale in the US market will burn more gas than their MSRP during the first 100,000 miles at $5 a gallon? What about $6?

I think there may not be many yet, car prices are up so much too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there good deals on giant pickup trucks like there were in 2008?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a new game: what cars for sale in the US market will burn more gas than their MSRP during the first 100,000 miles at $5 a gallon? What about $6?

Assuming an average mpg of 25, at $6 per gallon that's $24000 per 100k miles. So a lot of the cheaper small CUVs will fail this test.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

3,300 gallon at ~30mpg, 4,000 at 25mpg, 5,000 at 20, 6,600 at ~15mpg

$5, 16.5k, 20k, 25k, 33k
$7, 23k, 28k, 35k, 46k
$10, 33k, 40k, 50k, 66k

So after ~$7-8, most non luxury

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

morothar posted:

You can’t buy a new car, unless you’re willing to order and wait. Or call around and snatch somebody’s order.

I saw a new SQ5 with it. Frankly embarrassing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Rear cross traffic alert can be a gently caress. I had to back out of a really lovely spot onto a busy road, I obviously had someone outside watching for traffic in the must-turn lane I was backing into, but the traffic alert was freaking the gently caress out the entire time. Like, yeah, I’m aware this is a poo poo situation, please just shut the gently caress up and let me get on with it, yes?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I also need to remind my kid that car salesmen, however friendly, are not your friend.
I'm always surprised how often I read on car forums people taking about hanging out with their car salesman because they became friends after buying the car (like going over to their house for BBQs, etc) or people tipping their service advisor $50 - $100 every time they go in for service, or dropping off doughnuts on Saturdays to the service department "to make sure they get good service".

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That’s not uncommon in any sales environment where you’re wanting to build ongoing client relationships and build up your book with referrals

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes but you do that as a sales rep, not a customer :psyduck:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Someone else finally realised the Ioniq 5 is enormous!

https://twitter.com/GaytonaUSA/status/1535701555084771330?t=PbzStDzx91gT7IfLeQS9mg&s=19

I took a look at the dimensions because I was shocked when I came up behind one in traffic and this bitch is 11 inches longer than a Range Rover Evoque and just a mere inch less tall. They did a cracking job of hiding how freakishly huge it was in brochure shots.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Someone else finally realised the Ioniq 5 is enormous!

https://twitter.com/GaytonaUSA/status/1535701555084771330?t=PbzStDzx91gT7IfLeQS9mg&s=19

I took a look at the dimensions because I was shocked when I came up behind one in traffic and this bitch is 11 inches longer than a Range Rover Evoque and just a mere inch less tall. They did a cracking job of hiding how freakishly huge it was in brochure shots.

It’s the same size as the RAV4 and CRV and most of the other very popular vehicles that aren’t trucks. The Evoque is a small car.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Did you think it was a small hatchback or something? Because of course a crossover/mid size SUV is the same size as another crossover/mid size SUV and of course it dwarfs a tiny E30. So does the F80 M3 on the other side of it!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Did you think it was a small hatchback or something? Because of course a crossover/mid size SUV is the same size as another crossover/mid size SUV and of course it dwarfs a tiny E30. So does the F80 M3 on the other side of it!

I thought this was pretty common, by itself it looks about Golf-sized if there's nothing else visible for scale

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought this was pretty common, by itself it looks about Golf-sized if there's nothing else visible for scale

I think the design makes it look smaller than it is in pictures but that’s different from saying “it’s freaking huge.” It’s a normal sized car.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The brochures and press photos for the ioniq5 used tall models in the vehicle to game the size. When I went to the hyundai dealer to check it out, i was perplexed on the size since the marketing material made it look almost golf sized.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the design makes it look smaller than it is in pictures but that’s different from saying “it’s freaking huge.” It’s a normal sized car.

It's the massive wheels - they make it hard to gauge scale.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

It's not easy to make a good-looking electric vehicle today. The vehicle has to look like an SUV, because no one is buying $50,000 cars anymore. But it can't look like a modern ICE SUV, because aerodynamics has to be an even higher priority than in an ICE car to maximize range.

This is how the Ioniq 5 ends up looking like a hatchback, but not really. I'd go with an EV6 if I had to choose between the Hyundai and Kia twins because it goes for something different for this new styling category. The new Sportage borrows a lot of the EV6's design language, and it doesn't work for me on the Sportage.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
When I saw it in person, it looked so bloated, the cool retro look was kind of a let down. People like large cars though but it certainly is not the hatch it looks like in photos. I posted this before, but this gives a better perspective versus my hatch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's definitely a chunky car, but I still think it looks cool for what it is. I also spotted one recently;

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

No adaptive cruise on a new car is a deal breaker.

This.
Also, heated seats and auxiliary heater (webasto etc). Heated steering wheel is really nice but not a deal breaker.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rusty posted:

When I saw it in person, it looked so bloated, the cool retro look was kind of a let down. People like large cars though but it certainly is not the hatch it looks like in photos. I posted this before, but this gives a better perspective versus my hatch.

And this is sat next to a VW that has gotten a lot chunkier looking over time too. I'm wondering when battery tech gets smaller whether or not that will mean cars get smaller or manufacturers are just going to keep them huge and just wedge more in for that one time a year an owner drives the car with more than one person in it further than the store/work.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And this is sat next to a VW that has gotten a lot chunkier looking over time too. I'm wondering when battery tech gets smaller whether or not that will mean cars get smaller or manufacturers are just going to keep them huge and just wedge more in for that one time a year an owner drives the car with more than one person in it further than the store/work.

Big cars means easier to package components and cheaper factory production. The only downside for OEM in bigger cars is material prices which can be shifted to users without much trouble. I don't see cars getting smaller any time soon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at least in the US the market clearly wants bigger cars

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

And there's virtually no penalty to driving something big in the US. For example, in Rome, you will hate life if you drive anything bigger than a Golf. In New York, the least friendly city to big vehicles in America, you'd still be comfortable owning an X5.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is it worth getting something like an Accord or Camry Hybrid or an EV to get around these gas prices?

I commute 140km one way once a week plus some extra stuff so I do about a tank of gas per week. Since a lot of the commute is long distance highway miles, I’m not sure if hybrids have any advantage here.

Also maybe from a cost perspective the upfront cost of buying a hybrid or ev vs just absorbing higher gas prices makes this a wash.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 12, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Godzilla07 posted:

And there's virtually no penalty to driving something big in the US. For example, in Rome, you will hate life if you drive anything bigger than a Golf. In New York, the least friendly city to big vehicles in America, you'd still be comfortable owning an X5.

Even golf sized will get you stuck in Italy

https://www.newsauto.it/notizie/turista-incastrato-a-como-volvo-navigatore-2017-132550/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hate that the "sportback" design has been normalized. I feel for all of the future concussed CTE afflicted Golden Retrievers :woof: of the world having to ride around in those things crouching in constant fear of the wall of glass looming 1 inch over their heads.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Is it worth getting something like an Accord or Camry Hybrid or an EV to get around these gas prices?

I commute 140km one way once a week plus some extra stuff so I do about a tank of gas per week. Since a lot of the commute is long distance highway miles, I’m not sure if hybrids have any advantage here.

Also maybe from a cost perspective the upfront cost of buying a hybrid or ev vs just absorbing higher gas prices makes this a wash.

no

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Keyser_Soze posted:

I hate that the "sportback" design has been normalized. I feel for all of the future concussed CTE afflicted Golden Retrievers :woof: of the world having to ride around in those things crouching in constant fear of the wall of glass looming 1 inch over their heads.

Counterpoint: it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

you can very easily do the math on this but the answer is almost certainly going to be no, especially with car prices the way they are right now