Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

worms butthole guy posted:

Sweet picked up the folk horror set. Anything in particular in that set I should check out first

I have only seen Witchhammer, which I loved enough to buy the rest of the set for.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
got the folk horror set as well so i guess I'll be selling my copies of Viy and Dark Waters in the future

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I added Demonia because someone said it was good and I’m already getting four nun movies so another nun movie’s no big deal.

But now that’s it, I can’t be buying more movies when my Vinegar stuff hasn’t even shipped yet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cloks posted:

got the folk horror set as well so i guess I'll be selling my copies of Viy and Dark Waters in the future

I got All the Haunts Be Dark and Nasty Habits. Apparently they'll honor free shipping with All the Haunts Be Dark if you chose it at the beginning of the box set sale.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Already getting way too stoked for the VS July bundle :cheers:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

If it were anyone other than david lynch I'd call them charlatans and frauds but a uniquely batshit pipeline is on brand

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

checkplease posted:

Dang, was hoping it was coming sooner. Been waiting to watch this one finally.

I'm hopeful we get Lost Highway sooner, but wouldn't be surprised if Inland Empire is timed to be beside that

https://twitter.com/underthefan119/status/1535559811504517121

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

ultraviolence123 posted:

Eyes of Fire, Leptrica and Alison's Birthday were my favorites from the set. Viy is also really good.
Seconding Alison's Birthday. It's like... suburban folk horror... which is a microgenre I didn't realize I very much want to find more of.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
File it as Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Indiana Jone and the Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Steelbook is labeled w the former, but I’ve always recognized it as the latter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

File it as Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Indiana Jone and the Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Steelbook is labeled w the former, but I’ve always recognized it as the latter.
I'd go with Raiders. I have the 4K of First Blood filed under Fs, not R for Rambo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sorting alphabetically is a losing battle. Just put franchises/series together and everything else in loose genres.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I still want to try sorting my stuff in the most chaotic way imaginable. I think by color of the spine is the strangest idea I’ve seen.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm hopeful we get Lost Highway sooner, but wouldn't be surprised if Inland Empire is timed to be beside that

I also need to watch Lost Highway still and was holding out for 4K there also. May just have to give on that one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hard pass for me. Saw it once, and I found it a boring, unfocused and incoherent mess, and something that only pretentious people pretend to have enjoyed in the hopes that they can bluff others into thinking they're more intelligent than they actually are.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 12, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Liar Lyre posted:

I still want to try sorting my stuff in the most chaotic way imaginable. I think by color of the spine is the strangest idea I’ve seen.

By time of year it feels most appropriate to watch the movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorting alphabetically is a losing battle. Just put franchises/series together and everything else in loose genres.

Considering my shelving is full, everything is now in piles of "watched," "watching," and "unwatched"

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I sort alphabetically, but haven't done so since last year. I need to buy another shelf first. I have two large piles of movies to sort in, including a bunch of titles that start with A or B. That's going to be a long day when I buy my new shelf and start sorting.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

edogawa rando posted:

Hard pass for me. Saw it once, and I found it a boring, unfocused and incoherent mess, and something that only pretentious people pretend to have enjoyed in the hopes that they can bluff others into thinking they're more intelligent than they actually are.

you have a very active fantasy life

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

edogawa rando posted:

:wrong:

If Lynch isn't your thing, that's totally fine. His stuff isn't for everyone. But a lot of people legitimately love it. When I saw it in the theater last month, the screening I went to was sold out.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

You could have just said the first part my man

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

:wrong:

If Lynch isn't your thing, that's totally fine. His stuff isn't for everyone. But a lot of people legitimately love it. When I saw it in the theater last month, the screening I went to was sold out.

I've enjoyed most Lynch films I've seen, and Mulholland Drive is one of my all-time favourite films. I really was looking forward to Inland Empire when I saw it, and I really wanted to like it, but I ended up loving hating it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gripweed posted:

I got the nun box. I looked at a bunch of other movies on the website, but they all looked pretty bad. To be honest, it was starting to make me rethink buying the nun box.

Severin seems to revel in absolute bottom-rung garbage more than Vinegar Syndrome, but they have some genuine bangers on there.

Off the top of my head: Siege, Viy, Out of the Blue, Threads, Santa Sangre, Day of the Beast, The Boys Next Door, Next of Kin

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Found the trilogy boxset of the new Planet of the Apes series for $20 brand new today. Looking forward to revisiting those.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

Found the trilogy boxset of the new Planet of the Apes series for $20 brand new today. Looking forward to revisiting those.
:eyepop: Where at?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Amoeba records. It was the UHD boxset of all the Reeves movies.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

David Lynch is beloved, that's for sure. I saw that when it was in theaters way back, memorable experience, don't feel I want to see it again. I think we would show up to see him read a phone book, and that's because we love him. Seeing Inland Empire is this memorable legendary feat my friends still reference, and one friend we still can't get to try another Lynch film to this day. It was a nutty nutty film.

I look at Inland Empire as a thing I was happy to see one time, but I love ya David. The bunny shorts are always good.

He usually has more cinematic language to grab onto, the noir influence, the comedy stuff, sharp writing, those unique instincts. When he's making a movie in his usual way. Inland Empire is a different thing, it feels like a creative project he was doing, like it was Lynch's hobby at the time. More like his painting than his movies. Not to say painting is a hobby for him, I know he lives the art life, just it sounded like a looser project than his other movies.

I don't dislike it, but I also don't see why it would be expected that a Lynch fan would necessarily like it. I do think everyone's opinion is genuine, but also if you love Inland Empire, you could probably love many of those long non-narrative or similar experimental mood films out there. I don't think I myself would, even though I love David Lynch.

I also don't like The Straight Story, though I love Harry Dean Stanton. Love all David's other movies and TV though, and his audiobooks and docs. Hell, as much as I love his movies, he himself is probably even cooler than his work. Whatta guy.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 12, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

OK, the bit about pretentious people was tongue in cheek. That said, I have a long, varied list of regrets, but I sincerely doubt "failed to watch Inland Empire more than once" will ever be one of them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Physical Media thread gangtag

edogawa rando posted:

OK, the bit about pretentious people was tongue in cheek. That said, I have a long, varied list of regrets, but I sincerely doubt "failed to watch Inland Empire more than once" will ever be one of them.

I felt this way too, but then saw the restoration in theaters with a crowd, and it was wonderful. It’s abrasive, and it’s indulgent, but it’s also funny and visually interesting. The whole idea of a haunted film role and falling into stories within stories is great.

It went from me least favorite Lynch to now much higher and more appreciated. I’m excited for the release of Criterion doesn’t find a new way to bungle it.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 12, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Franchescanado posted:

Physical Media thread gangtag

Sign me up! I'm happy with the Kino one. Lost Highway was my #1 fav movie for a while in my 20s, even listed this in my AIM profile. Now it's probably like #15. But it's still up there! Masterpiece.

Full disclosure, The Dark Knight was #1 for a bit, and even Watchmen briefly (shamefully). It was quite the time in AIM profile movie lists.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

edogawa rando posted:

Ifc had a promotion when it came out where if you saw it eight times the ninth was free. I only made it through once but I do know someone who loved it enough to get that free ticket.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Definitely never seen the same movie in a theater 8 times.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I think I saw The Big Lebowski eight times in the theater, but that was when I had absolutely nothing else to do with my time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s definitely some John Carpenter movies I’ve seen at least 5-6 times in a theater.

Maybe Raiders as well? For a while there was a small theater in town that did midnight screenings every Friday and Saturday and Raiders was a mainstay of their rotation.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Alamo Drafthouse near my place is doing a Carpenter retrospective into August (but not showing Big Trouble because of Disney, their programmer explicitly said). I’ve definitely seen Assault 3 times, Halloween 4 times, The Thing 2 times, Prince of Darkness 2 times, Escape from New York 2 times, Dark Star once, never seen Starman at all, They Live 3 times, In the Mouth of Madness once and Vampires once. Looking forward to revisiting those again and for the first time each Monday of the week.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought the movie I'd seen in theaters the most times was Mad Max Fury Road, but now that I think about it, I've seen The Room in theaters at least a handful of times so it might be that one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I also see Streets of Fire every chance I get, but I think that’s only been three times.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s always just too many films I want to watch in theaters. Now at home I’ve definitely watched the same movie more than 8 times.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I saw Land of the Dead 8 times in theaters. Legit took everyone I knew back in high school to see it. I was just excited to have a George Romero movie in theaters while I was (and he was) alive. I still have a big ol soft spot for that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

dorium posted:

I saw Land of the Dead 8 times in theaters. Legit took everyone I knew back in high school to see it. I was just excited to have a George Romero movie in theaters while I was (and he was) alive. I still have a big ol soft spot for that movie.
Saw it on opening night and when I exited the theater someone was shooting off fireworks in the distance. Probably a coincidence but a really lovely one.