Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ibblebibble posted:

He has to be FuSoYa, it's so obvious that it loops around to being an out-there pick.
I'm mad that I never realized that The Watcher's robe is based on FuSoYa's until I read this. I remember thinking that something was up with Watcher having a special robe but never made the connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think Fusoya's name was written with kanji for something like good fortune and long life, so Janus or Chronos or Kyros might fit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They can’t name him Kairos that’s already the name of a giant floating mindwipe device

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've the feeling we're gonna slowly get information on the Watcher's original inspiration over time, but until then: since he's 99.99999% the guy Venat was talking with in the recording, he gives an even stronger impression that the reason the group tried to dissaude Venat from forming the core of Hydaelyn was more that they hoped she could remain a leader on the outside. I don't think they wanted her to give her life in the summoning at all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

They can’t name him Kairos that’s already the name of a giant floating mindwipe device

Can't believe Hermes turned Kairos into a giant floating mindwipe device truly irredeemable.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
What if there's a Chrysippus ancient. Should we shoo the donkey away or is that too much time tampering?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Badger of Basra posted:

I can't believe Hermes is the only other person in the world that played Time Hollow.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FuturePastNow posted:

I think Roes may have the beach volleyball player physique on a lock

Is this the new "The Screenshot"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

I've the feeling we're gonna slowly get information on the Watcher's original inspiration over time, but until then: since he's 99.99999% the guy Venat was talking with in the recording, he gives an even stronger impression that the reason the group tried to dissaude Venat from forming the core of Hydaelyn was more that they hoped she could remain a leader on the outside. I don't think they wanted her to give her life in the summoning at all.

I don't think it's that per se, because they seemed to know that Plan Hydaelyn wouldn't be one they'd continue living after (and knowing that they were all a buncha nerds, that tracks, they'd realize what they're doing). Rather, he tries to get her not to so that she doesn't end up an outside observer to the world she loves, unable to rejoin it. 'You will be missed' wasn't him saying that he will miss her, it's him saying that the world will miss her.

If you talk to him after the Hydaelyn trial (but before the Omega quests), he talks about how Hydaelyn lives on through the aether around you, in the wind and the earth. Knowing that his main sadness about Venat's sacrifice was her isolation, it makes sense that's the thing he talks about afterwards.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I can't beleive the Arkasodara questline is the WoL helping a biker gang found Doordash.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So Hildibrand....

I have to admit, I didn't see that ending coming.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No one expects the PuPu Inquisition.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I also like that (Omega Spoilers) the irony that for all of Omega's protesting about not understanding emotions and emotional reasoning, their actions in the raid and in the quest all stem from a yearning for home.

EDIT: Temporarily broke tags there, though if there is a place to do it, it is this thread.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 10, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/zenosenjoyer/status/1535120224969756673?s=21&t=T-V2bSS7E0zI249MxPB0Kg

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This must be the alternate universe where Zenos finds fulfillment in life and just rants about the minutiae he enjoys to anyone in earshot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You're supposed to shake boba? This would've changed my life twenty years ago.

...honestly, I'm with Zenos on this one. Never thought I'd say that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 10, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

So Hildibrand....

I have to admit, I didn't see that ending coming.

I am very much into the direction it's heading

Also all the dialogue choices were incredible

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, a weird Hildibrand question that came up when I was talking with someone: Nashu's stalker, is he actually supposed to be... y'know, funny?

I was talking to someone about him, and we couldn't really tell if he was a completely serious character, if he's a joke that isn't translating outside of Japan, or if he's an attempted joke that's just falling completely flat. He's definitely not funny, but we're not sure if he's supposed to be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

So, a weird Hildibrand question that came up when I was talking with someone: Nashu's stalker, is he actually supposed to be... y'know, funny?

I was talking to someone about him, and we couldn't really tell if he was a completely serious character, if he's a joke that isn't translating outside of Japan, or if he's an attempted joke that's just falling completely flat. He's definitely not funny, but we're not sure if he's supposed to be.

I'm pretty sure he's just a japanese trope character. He's supposed to seem to be mildly creepy but harmless, and the comedy comes from making fun of him, but that doesn't really translate so he's just creepy.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah it's the kind of "valid target" archetype that would still be better off just gone in the first place.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sir this is a Starbucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Usually I'm not a fan of punting Lalafell jokes, but I'll make an exception for that particular one.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I think a major purpose of Nashu's stalker is to let us play Spot the Guy in cutscenes and stuff. I found him near a sightseeing orb during that segment where you walk around Radz-at-Han with Nashu and it made me wonder how many times I've missed him hiding nearby during Hildibrand quests.

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 10, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bloody Emissary posted:

I think a major purpose of Nashu's stalker is to let us play Spot the Guy in cutscenes and stuff. I found him near a sightseeing orb during that segment where you walk around Radz-at-Han with Nashu and it made me wonder how many times I've missed him hiding nearby during Hildibrand quests.

See, I thought it was that, and maybe he's an Airplane-style background sight gag. But he's never really doing anything funny, is the thing, he's just there.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I think he also got abducted by the Pupu saucer along with Hildy and all those hansa?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DrakePegasus posted:

I think he also got abducted by the Pupu saucer along with Hildy and all those hansa?

Yes

I think the other joke is that this is a guy who spends his entire day stalking Nashu, so he sees what she's up to all the time and somehow he's still obsessed with her despite the fact that she has a rather tenuous grasp of reality. So he's supposed to be really weird, but honestly that just makes it creepier.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
He Nashu's Adoring Fan, and if she was a member of the Songbirds like her sister he'd probably be a wota, too. It's not like, a deep joke or meant to be hilarious or anything, he's just there for you to play Where's Waldo 80% of the time, enlist the Warrior of Light's aid because he's worried about Nashu another 15% of the time, and the last 5% is incidental stuff because he's always in close proximity. Part of his existence is just to emphasize Nashu's obliviousness and contribute to the oddity of Hildibrand's cast.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mostly it reads to me as “the writers like Gintama”.

Except the Gintama version of the joke is slightly less eh because the woman being stalked regularly beats up her stalker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pre-Stormblood he was the shoebill of the Hildi quests. Now he's just a gross sidecast member.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’d be all for that idiot weirdo getting exploded, unintentionally, by an oblivious Nashu occasionally.

He might actually enjoy that though.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Every time I get the opportunity to speak to Alpha in these quests, I do it, because -just once- instead of "Kweh-kweh. Kweh!" I want it to be -three full pages- of "Kwehs" with Alpha looking very serious the whole time. Everyone else knows exactly what Alpha's saying except us, and nobody speaks of it again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Who wants an update on Official Lore Subforum Idiocy? Because it got real stupid! Like, worryingly stupid!

A popular subject for 'Venat is wrong and evil and stupid and Zodiark is cool and good' is that we don't know the contents of the third sacrifice that was the step too far, and because of that, it cannot be claimed that it was an inhumane choice. Since there's no evidence for this and nothing goes anywhere because of that, I decided to try taking it in the other direction and going for a Doylist approach; since all we know of the third sacrifice is that Venat's crew objected to it, we can therefore assume that the contents were objectionable, by whatever your definition of 'objectionable' is.

...and, well, I accidentally proved something.

I posted:

And you've completely failed to understand that the third sacrifice, for the story to make any sense at all, has to be substantial to a level of moral ambiguity; it has to be something that would be objectionable. If the third sacrifice isn't a huge and dubious alternative of some kind, then the Convocation look stupid for not doing it earlier, and Venat's crew look stupid for objecting to the ethical alternative. Since I assume you don't think the Convocation are stupid, then the third sacrifice must be something substantial.

My view on that is 'if that requires sentient beings to be the ones being sacrificed, then that's what it is for you to consider the problem'. We don't know the contents, but we do know the stakes and responses; substitute whatever works for you in that context as the contents.

Awful Person A posted:

Problem is, it wouldn't have mattered if the sacrifices were grass and trees. Venat just wanted to have a moral leg to stand on for the Sundering.

(There's just a whole-rear end sub-sub-community that's convinced that Venat was just looking for an excuse to do the Sundering, either because fate required it or because she was actively malicious, but that's somehow not the worst part.)

I posted:

Your straw-Venat seems very impressive, but unfortunately the real Venat is a few feet to your left. Surrounded by just short of a dozen academics who had genuine reason to agree with her without the 'oh she's just surrendering all agency to time travel' excuse you're using to demean her agency, and who believed entirely in the cause.

So, let's perhaps revise the argument's direction for you: the third sacrifice isn't 'substantial enough for Venat to object to'. It's 'substantial enough for at least eleven environmentally-conscious academics to object to'. Essentially; what level of sacrifice do you think would have been enough to set off a room full of people like the Watcher?

Or, if you're someone who likes the angle of putting yourself in the argument's shoes: if this were happening on Earth, what sort of non-human sacrifice would be enough to give you reason to pause and think? What level of non-human sacrifice, even if you were okay with it, would be big enough to make you go 'okay I can see why people would object to this'?

Whatever you land on, for either of those situations, that's the third sacrifice.

Awful Person B posted:

That doesn’t make sense to even ask. The level that we, as players, balk at is obvious, it’s the sacrifice of 75% of our own number from the very beginning. We would gladly nuke all pigs, dolphin, crows, and apes (or any other animal with unusual intelligence closer to our own) before even considering that level of sacrifice of our own.

You can’t compare, it’s fundamentally different.

Awful Person B posted:

To be quite honest, if genociding the monkey population on Earth would save our people, I would be completely ok with it. Survival of our species is paramount in my eyes, no matter what has to be sacrificed to secure that survival.

Turns out the whole debate sputters when given to people so psychopathic that they literally cannot conceive of a non-human sacrifice that's big enough to plausibly object to. (Someone else called Venat's group just straight-up cultists/conspiracy theorists.)

On the other hand, that meeting in Anamnesis being so focused on unsustainability makes more sense than I first thought; we thought it was sort of a slippery slope thing where after that point theyre just gonna sacrifice more and more, but it turns out that to some people the third sacrifice being 'the functionality of the planet' would've been fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a reason I tagged that Endwalker thread on the forums with "Ascian Propaganda" and then left. :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's amazing that people don't draw the extremely obvious connection between the Convocation's Zodiark plan and Garlean ideology.

Like, it's literally the same dude behind both!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Begemot posted:

It's amazing that people don't draw the extremely obvious connection between the Convocation's Zodiark plan and Garlean ideology.

Like, it's literally the same dude behind both!

The lore subforum also has unironic and vehement pro-Garlean supporters. (Unsurprisingly, they are pro-Zodiark.)

People who according to their own admission have been pro-Garlean since Stormblood at least. So, before the Garleans got any treatment besides being 'Nazis with gunblades and airships'.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

The lore subforum also has unironic and vehement pro-Garlean supporters. (Unsurprisingly, they are pro-Zodiark.)

People who according to their own admission have been pro-Garlean since Stormblood at least. So, before the Garleans got any treatment besides being 'Nazis with gunblades and airships'.

I vividly remember back in 2.0 release people posting "actually Gaius was right" and wanting the choice to join the Garleans ingame. Sadly fascism tends to be very attractive to certain groups of people.

That said, while it is never directly stated, I'm 100% sure the new life that was going to be sacrificed to revive the Ancients was the ancestors to the sentent species to today. Look at the following facts:

-When we arrive at phantom Aumarot in ShB, all shades seem to think we are children, not some different species. In Elpis they think we are familiars but since they're real Ancients they're probably like, actually coherent or something /s.

-Again, in Elpis we see Ancients created multiple creeatures that exist on the present day: morbols, behemoths, elementals, gaelicats... but no indication of Sagahins, or Moogles, or Viera, or any of the sentinient species. Both Phantom Aumarot and Elpis are before Zodiark restored the star and created new life.

-Venat's faction's philosophy (besides circular paradox) was to let go of the past and entrust the future of the star to the new life. Not 100% sure they said that but 90% sure they talked about that. I don't think even the most foresighted of Ancients would entrust the future to trees and shellfish, so there had to be other species.

-The First has the same races as the Source, with cultural differences of course but that implies those races existed at the time of the Sundering.

Thus, the third sacrifice would have consisted of the races that would take the reins of the world after the Sundering, and every Ascian apologist should be forced to personally murder their catgirl/bunnygirl character and their waifus to be coherent. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

...until someone points out an interview said the Spoken races were created by the Sundering and my whole argument falls, but I'll accept that since my fault for not reading the interviews.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The First has the same races as the Source with different names and the 13th at the very least had Hyur and Elezen so yeah, the "modern" races predate the sundering and 100% are the "new life" they were gonna kill

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

According to a QnA they supposedly changed their forms over time to make up for the deficiencies made by the Sundering, but honestly I think it works better if they were the new life pre-Sundering.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder if the "Gaius was right" people are partly why, immediately after Varis gives his fascism speech in Stormblood, Namano gives a "fascism is bad actually" speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't understand how people are pro Emet-Selch's actions while also decrying Vauthry and Allag, both of whom are his literal brain children.