Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Section Z posted:

I guess the fact so many suggestions, or attempts to search for "What if you know you are a mimic, but you play the part of a victim as bait for monsters?" are for games where you are still running around killing tons of humans, is part of why I started wondering about it in the first place.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

All Kirby games too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does that mean Kojima is working on two horror games since leakers have already leaked he's making a silent hill game again?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Len posted:

Does that mean Kojima is working on two horror games since leakers have already leaked he's making a silent hill game again?

I'm getting lost at this point but it's still nebulous on that front I think?

Like for instance I know people were saying No Code were working on one but all I could find in print was Anapurna was looked at, and people know No Code is making a horror game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If websites would stop reporting every Twitter account and 4chan shitpost as a leak gaming journalism would significantly improve overnight

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Section Z posted:

Okay so, zombies, ghouls? Nothing you can't handle-

*Sees a screenshot of a Bloody bear eating a body.

Well, gently caress.

Okay so I'm gonna add an addendum to this game to warn any arachnophobes: do not play Eternal Evil. There are very graphic, well modeled giant scorpions and spiders. I don't see any options currently for an arachnophobia mode and I'd be honestly surpised if it got added, not sure how you'd even changes these models. A few other disclaimers: English is very much not the first language of the dev and while it's noticeable it's still very understandable. Also all the starving vampires can suck your blood and get big, buff, and bust out of their shirts. This includes male and female models. You will also encounter topless enemies of both genders. Yes, there is titty is this game and I really didn't expect it tbh. It's... eh? Not sexualized at least.

That said, game is good so far! The combat is solid, a lot of effort was clearly put in to weapon animations and reloads, and the knife is good. On top of that it has very RE collectable based puzzles, and they are actual puzzles you have to figure out from notes and signs. None of them have stumped me so far but I did have to actually think through a few of them for a bit. The boss fights I've have encountered have been somewhat underwhelming, and the ammo is plentiful if you don't mind taking the time to knife kill walker vamps.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Evil Kit posted:

There are very graphic, well modeled giant scorpions and spiders.

On a scale of Minecraft to Skyrim, how bad are we talking? I'm not an arachnophobe, I just want to see if any game spider will ever be able to topple Skyrim's.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

1stGear posted:

On a scale of Minecraft to Skyrim, how bad are we talking? I'm not an arachnophobe, I just want to see if any game spider will ever be able to topple Skyrim's.

Here, have a video. Spoiler'd of course, for those who are arachonobic.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/985283577480642671/SPOILER_arachnophobie_beware.mp4

edit: guess spoiler tags prevents the video from embedding and just downloads it. Hm. Eh, it'll work I guess.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 11, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hows the game overall?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

So far? I'd say well worth the 15.99 I paid and then some. It's got great atmosphere and sound design, the combat is solid and not frustrating. The story is alright and 100% wears its inspiration on its shoulder (RE1-2 but vampires), but so far I've still enjoyed following it. The UI is easy to parse and the puzzles are all tough but not frustrating. There's also a way to skip puzzles that I didn't make use of if you get really frustrated with them, though you may have to give a gun up to do so? I'm not entirely sure.

I'd give it a recommend for sure, with the cavet of really don't play it if you have arachnaphobia.

edit: just to touch on the combat a bit, it's way slower and methodical. The guns are all strong but if you have to reload anything but the pistol you better hope you haven't trapped yourself in a corner somehow. The gun feel is all satisfying though and clearly a lot of effort was put into the animations.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 11, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how these game companies a) treat the development of a new game like a state secret and b) think a takedown request will do anything but confirm a rumor is real.

They know. The execs still demand them deny it tho.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Evil Kit posted:

some hella good spider

loving wow, hand over the crown Todd, that is a drat good spider.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Kojima is working on Eternal Darkness 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

Here, have a video. Spoiler'd of course, for those who are arachonobic.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/985283577480642671/SPOILER_arachnophobie_beware.mp4

edit: guess spoiler tags prevents the video from embedding and just downloads it. Hm. Eh, it'll work I guess.

the rigging between the mandibles is too stretchy but otherwise, excellent spider

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reviews seem to say that the pathing is real messed up and enemies get caught on tables or doors very easily. Probably going to wait for some patches but it looks great otherwise.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

1stGear posted:

loving wow, hand over the crown Todd, that is a drat good spider.

Oxxidation posted:

the rigging between the mandibles is too stretchy but otherwise, excellent spider

It looks a lot more horrifying when its alive and trying to kill you, I only pulled up my recording software after I killed it.

The scorpion is honestly equally terrifyingly well done.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Forget Silent Hill rankings, it's "Video Game Spiders" time to shine.

(I always found the REmake tarantulas and the heavy thumping of their feet pretty awful, in a good way.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Limbo’s spider did some damage to arachnophobes in its day

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

Limbo’s spider did some damage to arachnophobes in its day

As one of them (thank you all for spoilering that poo poo), I could deal with it because it was just a shadow. Still made me extremely uncomfortable, but not enough I couldn't play, which is any modeled spider past the System Shock era.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

As one of them (thank you all for spoilering that poo poo), I could deal with it because it was just a shadow. Still made me extremely uncomfortable, but not enough I couldn't play, which is any modeled spider past the System Shock era.

I have a good friend I do a bunch of co-op games with who is a big horror and horror games buff.

He cannot certain types of spiders so I try to be aware of that sort of thing when talking 'bout games. Definitely don't play Eternal Evil.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Other than "big underwater poo poo", scorpions are my "nope nope NOPE!" enemy in games. :ohdear:

Radscorpions are the devil and deserve to be nuked immediately. :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah, I could handle Limbo with just a general "ughhh" but I wouldn't play a modern 3D game with big spiders. Which makes it the most effective horror trope I guess, since it spooks me too much to even look at the game :sweatdrop:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I could handle Limbo with just a general "ughhh" but I wouldn't play a modern 3D game with big spiders. Which makes it the most effective horror trope I guess, since it spooks me too much to even look at the game :sweatdrop:

Right!?

Unrelated but holy poo poo Deadly Premonition 2 dropped on pc today with no preamble whatsoever!?

E: It's been put on switch for two years???

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 12, 2022

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Those hand monsters in elden ring move around like disgusting spiders with too many legs. I hate them

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There’s been a few recent decent indie fps horror games. Nightmare of Decay is so much a ripoff of Resident Evil I’m surprised they haven’t gotten C&D but it’s a perfectly good inventory based survival horror for $5.

There’s also Remorse: The List a total Cry of Fear knock off that’s also good and spooky.

And best spider is in Arkane’s first game Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah those fuckers climb down walls and jump in your face.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 12, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh, and who can forget Northern Journey, a game so chockablock with spiders that it eventually becomes a very cruel joke

at one point near the end your guide/tormentor assures you that you won't encounter any more living, breathing spiders on your quest. shortly thereafter you are beset upon by underwater spiders, followed by skeleton spiders

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh noooo Northern Journey has been on my wishlist.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

also in case anyone was still wondering how inspired by the RE series the dev of Eternal Evil is:

edit: because there's actually a second spider in the game, I went ahead and got some footage of it when it's alive. Because I'm thorough or something like that?

obviously spoiler'd

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/985585596107993138/SPOILER_spiders_alive.mp4

this game is pretty drat good for a single person dev team, from what I've been able to gather I believe it's a single person team at least.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 12, 2022

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Scorn got a release date: October 21st, 2022
The actual trailer doesn’t have much that we haven’t seen several times already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L52bwGkJZsc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

thebardyspoon posted:

Longshot here but does anyone remember an indie horror game getting announced where you played as a city? I think the premise was you were given sentience because of a weird presence or a cult or something and you were basically like, manipulating the streets and alleys at night or when people weren't around to make them go certain places and potentially be killed either by the cult or maybe by you, like a tunnel might be one of your many mouths or whatever. Looked vaguely simmy, might have been sepia toned or black and white in the one or two screen shots.

I remember reading an article about its announcement and it had a couple screenshots but this would have been years ago, I assume it's just vaporware at this point since games will come out and not hit but usually I'll still hear about them at some point. Not being able to find the name is driving me a little crazy though and googling "horror game where you play as a city" just brings up stuff like the Sinking City cause it has the word city in it.

I don't know what this is but good god this sounds like an awesome concept for a game. I'd love to know what this is as well.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Routine and now Scorn. What is this madness?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Whatever it is I need more of it and straight into my veins.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Now all we need is Allison Road and Sadness to come back.

Wait, while typing this post I went to go check and make sure Sadness was the game I was thinking of and holy poo poo.

quote:

Nibris' official website, which had not been updated since its announcement of appearing at GDC 2008, closed in February 2010. On April 5, N-Europe reported that Arkadiusz Reikowski, one of the game's music composers, released some of his unfinished work to the public and confirmed that Sadness had been abandoned by Nibris and was no longer in the works. In October Nibris itself transformed into a coordinator for the European Center of Games, ceasing game development permanently, and remaining staff and projects were also reported to have been handed over to Bloober Team, another game developer.

quote:

Bloober Team was founded by Peter Babieno and Peter Bielatowicz. The studio was originally part of Nibris, a developer set up in 2006, but sought to become independent through investor funding. The studio formally launched on 6 November 2008, employing 20 people in Kraków offices. Babieno became the chief executive officer for the company. In October 2010, following Nibris' decision to exit the game development business and the cancellation of their only video game, Sadness, many of the company's developers joined Bloober Team.

Oh my god I didn't know Bloober was the reason for the entirety of the Sadness situation. I remember following that whole thing and getting a kick out of it because of how Sadness never felt like it was ever a real game. This is blowing my mind. Like, holy poo poo.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

was I the only one with the 8 Legged Freaks pc game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

was I the only one with the 8 Legged Freaks pc game?

I know there was a webgame, did they have an actual game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tone commentary for The Quarry

The story for The Quarry has been pretty good, if predictable in a "will they twist it around way" way, but god drat was this game written by Joss Whedon? Its really weird to be quipping when someone is getting [redated] in the [redacted]

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite bit about the Sadness trailer is that the woman demonstrating the gameplay looks more CG than the woman actually depicted in the game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/scorn_game/status/1536092314413809664?s=21&t=S_RDrTbtTRPRicGn-BxMjw

Doug Bradley narrating the new Scorn gameplay footage

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Routine and now Scorn. What is this madness?

Some day Suda will take another swing at making Lily Bergamo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tone commentary for The Quarry

The story for The Quarry has been pretty good, if predictable in a "will they twist it around way" way, but god drat was this game written by Joss Whedon? Its really weird to be quipping when someone is getting [redated] in the [redacted]

They've definitely succeeded in the horror movie trope of making all the characters unlikeable dicks you want to see die. I'm interested if they can pull an Until Dawn and get me to care about them anyway. Except Jacob, there is no hope after the poo poo he pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I can't see a The Quarry thread but I need to make sure I'm not mad - it's a chapter one/two spoiler:

in chapter one if you get the Temperence card you get a vision of the bullets and fireworks. from the fortune teller and knowing the definition of the temperence movement it's telling you when given the option you should decline to take the fireworks as it will benefit you in the long run by showing restraint.

However literally every guide I have seen says taking the fireworks, not practising temperence, is the right decision as they will help you. Are the guides all wrong or is the in game being deceptive on purpose?