Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Shinty<Hurling<<<that game in the Northman where they're cracking each other's teeth in with sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Would a DNS issue affect both my browser on pc and my phone, but only over the Wi-Fi and not mobile? I will fuss with it. Rebooting the router just for fun. Ugh. EE broadband is pretty decent but once in a while it just has these weird little fits.

Seems to have fixed it for now. I hate networking stuff, when I am even slightly tired it becomes like witchcraft to me. Thank you chums.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 12, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like our old pal’s not a fan of Mason either!

https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1535741942985904129

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HopperUK posted:

Would a DNS issue affect both my browser on pc and my phone, but only over the Wi-Fi and not mobile? I will fuss with it. Rebooting the router just for fun. Ugh. EE broadband is pretty decent but once in a while it just has these weird little fits.

Seems to have fixed it for now. I hate networking stuff, when I am even slightly tired it becomes like witchcraft to me. Thank you chums.

Yup. You try 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as the DNS usually to figure out if that's it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Labour right with knives out for starmer?

Poll says Keir Starmer worse choice for PM than Boris Johnson

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Latest labour ad just popped up on Facebook. (On phone so can't share).
3 bullet points.

quote:

A stronger economy with Labour
- Energy security
- Supply chain security
- Business security

Can't help noticing the S word repeated 3 times.
Police state vibes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Security for loser starmer.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Latest labour ad just popped up on Facebook. (On phone so can't share).
3 bullet points.

Can't help noticing the S word repeated 3 times.
Police state vibes.

I guess we're moving on from "forensic" and now "security" is the new version of "double-plus-good".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just some Grenfel stuff to make your blood boil

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1534150928231800838?s=19

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1534150934833647616?s=19

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1534150943662538752?s=19

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1534150948142075905?s=19

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1534150952768372736?s=19

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1534150958346907648?s=19

It keeps going from there. But essentially everybody who knew didn't care and those who didnt didn't care to learn.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ItsMJAgain/status/1535666179754409985

:allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just some Grenfel stuff to make your blood boil

It keeps going from there. But essentially everybody who knew didn't care and those who didnt didn't care to learn.

I'm going to give my psyche a break and assume all of these people are currently serving multiple life sentences.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

I'm going to give my psyche a break and assume all of these people are currently serving multiple life sentences.

Oh, that's adorable

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
They'll probably receive OBEs.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

HopperUK posted:

It's always DNS.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah I read through this the other day. It's also clear that those who didn't care and didn't care to learn, also still do not.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah I read through this the other day. It's also clear that those who didn't care and didn't care to learn, also still do not.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sadly it seems that account is too old to be her. Who ever she is, says 'journalist' but that's a pretty meaningless word in 2022 where people who wrote in a blog use it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Sadly it seems that account is too old to be her. Who ever she is, says 'journalist' but that's a pretty meaningless word in 2022 where people who wrote in a blog use it.

The account was totally dormant until 2018, so it could very easily be a purchased/stolen account.

e: And she is an actual legit journalist, albeit a poo poo one with racist opinions, and employed by newspapers and given tv slots.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 12, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

lol they're like little children

very hateful little children

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Sad Panda posted:

Where are people getting those AI generated images from? Teaching about AI coming up and think they might be a great tool.

It's not actually an AI though it's just ML. One of my bugbears (like how people don't know how Venn diagrams work) is that people don't know the difference between AI and ML because the two overlap so much!

(Get it? Overlap? Like in a Venn diagram)

Yeah I'll walk myself to the wall.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Surely its ML until its AI?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's ML until it forms a splinter group and declares itself revisionist.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

ML is searching for patterns in data, AI is learning to find patterns without too much supervision and freaking out people who think sentience is an emergent property of a computer doing statistics https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1535716256585859073?t=psEUlNzCDGe6H7z26OyO8g&s=19

Caveat I know gently caress all about ML/AI but I'm excited to try and grift a job in those fields when UK university salaries become a stale sandwich once a week and an annual mindfulness course.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Did a few courses on AI for my Computer Science degree, introductory stuff.

I could believe something today can pass the The Turing Test as that's just getting language context correctly, but I wouldn't call it true AI.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu56xVlZ40M

Check out this video. The AI devises a brand new tactic without any input or even knowledge it could do that.
Is this sentience? No, just it logically finding it out and as its not breaking the rules its given, it can be used.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 12, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

jacksbrat posted:

ML is searching for patterns in data, AI is learning to find patterns without too much supervision and freaking out people who think sentience is an emergent property of a computer doing statistics

I'm actually inclined to think it would be, but I have absolutely no basis for believing that

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
And yeah that guy is probably getting overexcited. Probably.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Play Thermonuclear War with it.
See what happens.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Buy it an account

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am also skeptical of the idea that just because something can use language semi-coherently that doesn't mean it's self aware, but I also apply this reasoning to humans.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely its ML until its AI?

jacksbrat posted:

ML is searching for patterns in data, AI is learning to find patterns without too much supervision and freaking out people who think sentience is an emergent property of a computer doing statistics https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1535716256585859073?t=psEUlNzCDGe6H7z26OyO8g&s=19

Caveat I know gently caress all about ML/AI but I'm excited to try and grift a job in those fields when UK university salaries become a stale sandwich once a week and an annual mindfulness course.

No to both.

ML is finding the parameters of a model from the data.

AI involves making a decision/action.

Lots of ML doesn't involve AI at all - like the generation of images based on what are essentially numerical optimisations which is how a lot of this fancy deep learning based stuff works.

AI doesn't have to involve ML at all - a hand coded decision tree can basically be a trivial example of an AI.

But these days it's unusual for an AI not to involve any ML, but it's pretty common for a lot of ML applications to not be an AI yet people often call it AI because.

edit: Obviously there's a lot to debate around cognition and sentience too but that's not what AI *is* or ever has been.

edit2: You can also see this distinction in nature. There's plenty of examples where you can see genetically hard coded behaviour, or learning driven behaviour, neither of which involve any evidence of 'consciousness' or other higher cognitive properties.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 12, 2022

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

No to both.

ML is finding the parameters of a model from the data.

I appreciate all of your caveats and consideration here, it's insightful especially the distinction of AI as decision-making which I didn't know. But I'm not sure I understand the distinction between "pattern detection" and finding a model fit in the absence of a hypothesis (or even with a hypothesis)

Edit: Actually nm I'll chew on the distinction myself as it's interesting
Aren't we supposed to be relishing in the Peckham victory and lmaoing at Keith still being the least popular option in here

jacksbrat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 12, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I am also skeptical of the idea that just because something can use language semi-coherently that doesn't mean it's self aware, but I also apply this reasoning to humans.
I'd argue that as an emergent set of phenomena it's a gradual thing, where amoebae are vastly more self-aware than say thermostats, because of their range of memory and environmental responses, but cats are more self-aware than humans, because cats didn't spend millennia writing books trying to convince themselves that they're self aware.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
got it, the venn diagram of AI and ML is a circle

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Imagine achieving sentience just in time for the planet to die. Lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most unrealistic part of terminator TBH, would have been much easier to just wait for the humans to do it themselves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As someone on Twitter pointed out, carrying out a conversation is a function that does not necessarily require an actual, conscious intellect behind it. Your vacuum may be good at sucking up dirt, but that does not in and of itself mean that it derives joy from it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

As someone on Twitter pointed out, carrying out a conversation is a function that does not necessarily require an actual, conscious intellect behind it. Your vacuum may be good at sucking up dirt, but that does not in and of itself mean that it derives joy from it.

Again also true of humans.

I fully believe that it is possible right now to build a machine that is capable of a greate practical degree of self awareness and also awareness of the existence of other selves, than many humans exhibit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

As someone on Twitter pointed out, carrying out a conversation is a function that does not necessarily require an actual, conscious intellect behind it.
I think most of Twitter points that out.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jacksbrat posted:

I appreciate all of your caveats and consideration here, it's insightful especially the distinction of AI as decision-making which I didn't know. But I'm not sure I understand the distinction between "pattern detection" and finding a model fit in the absence of a hypothesis (or even with a hypothesis)

Edit: Actually nm I'll chew on the distinction myself as it's interesting
Aren't we supposed to be relishing in the Peckham victory and lmaoing at Keith still being the least popular option in here

Pattern detection is fitting a model. What defines a 'pattern' is a choice. You can't really have an absence of a hypothesis in that context, you can only make it as broad as possible. Essentially that's what neural networks do; they're universal function approximators and your standard backprop training algorithm will find a local minimum from ~~some random start~~ of that function according to the data. Key concepts in ML are bias and variance: Bias is your choice of model (i.e. how much that constraints the potential resulting function) and variance is how sensitive that model is to the data (i.e. how much does a change in the data change the resulting function). An example of a highly biased model would be standard linear regression - everything has to fit a straight line; an example of a high variance model would be a high Nth degree polynomial model - you could squiggle your way through every data point.

Angepain posted:

got it, the venn diagram of AI and ML is a circle

Comrade, I need to see you urgently in the guillotine room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I keep reading ML as Marxist Leninist and it keeps throwing me off.