Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

a mysterious cloak posted:

That's kind of where I am right now minus having to PT my back! That sucks and I hope you keep getting better.

I miss the social aspect and the physical and mental challenge of the game - there's nothing like huffing and puffing your way through a game, chirping everyone regardless of whose team they're on, and shaking hands after no matter the score, because everybody just had a ton of fun.

Still not sure what changed for me - pandemic nursing and all the mental BS that came with that is under control, but I think about things differently now than I did 2 years ago (in a more positive way), so maybe I don't feel like I need that huge hit of endorphins every week. Who knows.

The handshake after a really great game. An opposing goalie that played out of their mind. Someone you've known who might not have been all that good who just played a great game and score a really good goal. One of those rare tight games that was played really well but also super friendly and clean and you don't even mind losing because it was just that good. Parking lot beers where both teams hang out together because it was so fun. Thats what I really miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ManiacMatt posted:

Gong show league

I’m not competitive anymore but even to me this league is a total fuckin waste of time. Why even keep score? Just call it drop in hockey with assigned jerseys.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hi all. I'm finally ready to try stick and puck tomorrow after skating enough to not super suck. Very excited to get weird looks at my mask though

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

RC Cola posted:

Hi all. I'm finally ready to try stick and puck tomorrow after skating enough to not super suck. Very excited to get weird looks at my mask though

They won't be able to notice it under your tinted visor

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Vargatron posted:

They won't be able to notice it under your tinted visor

I have a sweet cage. Also I went skating one more time yesterday. Stick and puck tonight. I went backwards a bit! and I can stop both ways now! yay!

Should I just bring a helmet/gloves/stick/pucks? Or should I wear my full cage?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd definitely do a full cage even at stick tick. Never know when an errant puck is gonna come up on you.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RC Cola posted:

I have a sweet cage. Also I went skating one more time yesterday. Stick and puck tonight. I went backwards a bit! and I can stop both ways now! yay!

Should I just bring a helmet/gloves/stick/pucks? Or should I wear my full cage?

I'd wear full gear any time you're gonna be on the ice with people shooting pucks. Also it took me like a year and a half to learn to stop on my weak side and probably another year after that to start doing it in games

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I would definitely get in the habit of always wearing the important safety bits at all times even if they are a little awkward (for me that’d include shin and elbow pads too, it fuckin sucks falling on knees or elbows on ice, I’m pretty sure I have some nerve damage in my arms from insufficient elbow protection)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ice sucks to fall on without pads. I won't even step into stick and puck without helmet, gloves, and shins. Some places require full gear.

When I used to skateboard, I got bursitis from slamming on my elbow a lot. It sucks. It swells up really big, gets super sensitive and now I can't rest on my elbow without some pain. You can feel bits and pieces floating in there. Not sure if it's shredded cartilage or what. I got it again once while playing hockey. I got tripped and feel straight forward and my elbow pads at the time weren't very good.

Wearing more gear, especially if relatively new to hockey, is never a bad idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falling with a full set of pads on is pretty liberating because it doesn't hurt at all and this makes it easier to push yourself learning edges because you lose the fear. You're hustling along, something goes wrong, and then you're laying flat on the ice waiting to slide to a stop and everything is cool. Only exception for me is falling on my rear end, there are pants with beefy tailbone protection but I've never owned them and have regretted it.

But fortunately you're usually leaning forward and end up on your side or knees. If you get a Yoshi down b you messed up pretty good.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Verman posted:

You can feel bits and pieces floating in there. Not sure if it's shredded cartilage or what. I got it again once while playing hockey.

I have 2 flat elbows because I fell on them playing inline when I was in highschool and wasn't wearing elbow pads while messing around.

I used to be able to feel the pieces that broke off, but I think they fused to bone elsewhere.

I also occasionally have pain if I rest my elbow wrong on an armrest or something.

Always wear elbow pads.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The pain when you buy new gloves and sticks and they don't come til the day after your next game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So I just got done skating. Getting better at stopping. I think it helps that I'm a good skier. A lot of this seems to translate. A lot doesn't as well. Aka crossovers. Also on my weak side skiing I am noticably so so bad at skating. All the compensating I did on my strong side has hurt me, so I spent 90 minutes mostly focusing on weak side stuff.

Should I do stick and puck tonight? Or should I actually wait a full day.

After ice skating maybe 5 times in my life I skated monday/wed/thur/friday now and my legs are jelly. I also have been running which probably isn't helping recovery.

I'll wear full pads when I do stick and puck though. I am really excited. Also I wore my Mackinnon sweater and some 10 year olds got super excited and started talking about hockey with me when I went to the other rink to watch a stick and puck happening. Those kids were so happy and passionate. It really put me in a good mood.

Sorry for a wall of text. Skating gets my endorphins going I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skate as often as you can unless you're completely drained, the more icetime the faster you'll pick up skills.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Skate as often as you can unless you're completely drained, the more icetime the faster you'll pick up skills.

Hello person I recognize from my SAS poster days as a hawks fan iirc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Another open skate at 8:15.

Or a stick and puck at 4:15 or 6:45. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ice time is always the limiting factor of getting better, so skate as often as you can if you don't think you'll burn yourself out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Definitely skate more as long as you're physically able and having fun.

I need to figure out more goalie ice time, 1 hour a week is not enough. Stick and pucks around here tend to not allow goalies for some reason, which limits options.

Also, the desire to spend hundreds on new equipment... a strong urge...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok will skate again tonight then

If any of you are anywhere near downers grover Illinois and want to play with my 2 friends getting into hockey (1 a new goalie) hit me up. They are looking for people to play with and I moved 1000 miles away from them to Denver

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They in a league? Where do they skate?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Verman posted:

Ice sucks to fall on without pads.

That is why I will always say figure skaters are some tough motherfuckers. I know some of the newer practice uniforms have padding built into them but when they fall in competition they have to get up and smile like that poo poo never happened. When I was in highschool, late 90's early 2000's, they didn't really have the padded leggings and poo poo, from what I could tell, and this one girl in our school who figure skated ate poo poo jump, after jump, after jump and would just get up and do it again. I was like lets get her on the team she's tougher than all of us combined. I wish I could make everyone who says figure skating is for pussies jump as high as they can in the air and fall on their hip onto ice.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

RC Cola posted:

Ok will skate again tonight then

If any of you are anywhere near downers grover Illinois and want to play with my 2 friends getting into hockey (1 a new goalie) hit me up. They are looking for people to play with and I moved 1000 miles away from them to Denver

Quit being lazy. Skate more. Then skate some more after that.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bigbillystyle posted:

I wish I could make everyone who says figure skating is for pussies jump as high as they can in the air and fall on their hip onto ice.

Or have someone fuckin throw you. Some of the tosses they do are absolutely mental.

Also their edge work is something most hockey players can only barely dream of.

They made a joke of it in Mighty Ducks 2 but Ken Wu's "figure skater with hockey IQ" would be a total beast.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
As someone who has hosed their back up via falls into their butt/tailbone ... Indeed figure skaters are crazy.

Repeated tailbone falls eventually led to my herniated L4L5 L5S1 discs. I can't watch them fall into their bare butts after a jump. It kills me. When buying pants, a very thick padded tailbone is very important. Ice is slippery. Watch those butts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I was 25 years younger and at a point where getting legit at skating could benefit me, I'd totally pay a figure skate instructor to do it.

There's a handful of videos out there talking about Jeff Skinner's figure skating background that are kind of fun too. It's neat to watch his edge work.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

They in a league? Where do they skate?

They did Rocket Ice last time, I'll ask where else they go. They aren't in a league but are looking to join one, or at least find some friendly people to play pick up games with.

Hey Hockles. I went and skated again tonight. It's great.

How often should I sharpen my skates?

Also at 32 I assume I'm too old to actually get good at skating, but I'd like to be decent.

Also is anyone in the Denver metro?

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2022

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I sharpen my skates whenever I start to feel them slipping on crossovers. Probably every 6 weeks or so? It really depends on how often you skate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Whenever you don’t have an edge. Could be weeks, could be the next skate after you sharpen them.

It’s not a time based thing it’s a wear and damage based thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The other thing is if you're on clean fresh ice and you feel a drag or scrape from a nasty burr. But it's usually crossovers that I'll notice them going dull. It depends on your cut too. A shallow cut will give you lots of glide but little bite. A deep cut will give you lots of bite but less speed and it will feel like you can't hockey stop if you wanted to. Play around with different cuts from the same place. The "standard" is 1/2".

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Also find a good place and stick to it.

Pro shops are pretty reliable most times but during the summer their hours are... less than accessible.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My preference is 5/8ths on player skates and 3/4ths on my goalie skates.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I’m generally 5/8ths on goalie skates and I think 1/2 on player. I only skate out once or twice a year so it’s been a long time since I’ve had them sharpened.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

Also find a good place and stick to it.

If you can't find a good place and your steel can be removed you can always ship them out. I did that for years and had excellent results. I ended up buying a Sparx so do all my own sharpening.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I skated again today. I can stop both ways now! I have to slow down a bit before stopping to the left though.

Also when hockey stopping, what do I do with my trailing leg? I find myself stopping almost entirely with my leading leg. Is this just a bad habit from my bad skiing habit?

Also backwards skating is hard. I keep trying to fall forward but I'm afraid to put too much weight backwards.

Anyways the wife came with me again today and we are going tomorrow. She played hockey as a kid so we might make this a date thing and do some stick and puck/learn to skate together and then find a league if we stick with it.

Thanks for the sharpening advice. I think we still have a bunch more time before I need to worry about that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stopping with just the leading foot is fine and normal. As you advance you'll develop comfort digging in the outside edge of the trailing foot and be able to stop on that one too.. I'm not sure it helps you stop measurably faster, but it balances you better and you can use that planted edge to reverse direction quickly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

RC Cola posted:

I skated again today. I can stop both ways now! I have to slow down a bit before stopping to the left though.

Also when hockey stopping, what do I do with my trailing leg? I find myself stopping almost entirely with my leading leg. Is this just a bad habit from my bad skiing habit?

Also backwards skating is hard. I keep trying to fall forward but I'm afraid to put too much weight backwards.

Anyways the wife came with me again today and we are going tomorrow. She played hockey as a kid so we might make this a date thing and do some stick and puck/learn to skate together and then find a league if we stick with it.

Thanks for the sharpening advice. I think we still have a bunch more time before I need to worry about that.

Eventually you should also use your inside leg to stop as well using the outside edge of your trailing foot. You'll have twice the stopping power and can spread the burden to both legs vs just one, making life easier on your dominant leg.

Inside edges are the easiest to learn because if you fall, you're falling towards another leg which you can use to help you stay upright. When you start learning outside edge work, especially on one foot, you start shifting your weight over the center balance point of your skate from inside to the outside of the boot in order to engage that outer edge. If you fall or don't catch the edge, you land on your hip.

With skating backwards, ya gotta shake that rear end. Things really improved when I learned backwards c cuts and crossovers. Those helped me generate momentum going backwards from a stop. The biggest thing in beer league is the transition when defensemen make the change from forward to backward skating. Practice going back and forth at speed. Learning as an adult doesn't limit your skating potential. I know several adults that learned late in life and are about equal to guys who played youth hockey, some even better.

Watch some Sean skinner videos. Hockey beyond belief. I think they're still on YouTube.

One of the favorite things I ever learned how to do was to hockey stop on just the trailing foot. It really helps with balance and stopping power in a game situation if you ever get knocked off balance onto one foot.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Hey SAS Hockey Player Thread. I normally play on ice but have the chance to play roller for the first time tomorrow night. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for not falling all over the place when muscle memory kicks in and I do things that I'd do on ice that do not translate to concrete?

I'm a generally decent skater on ice but I'm worried that the switch to not-ice is going to end with me breaking my tailbone or something. I normally play defense so I figure if I skate backwards as little as possible and make wiiiiiide turns to slow down I may survive any other suggestions are very welcome.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
For the love of god do not try to hockey stop. I tried roller once when I was 18, did a hockey stop and my knee went 90 degrees from normal. I'm still dealing with pain 25 years later.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
There's a way to hockey stop but you need the right wheels for your weight, on the right type of synthetic surface, and the right technique. You probably won't figure it out right away.

The worst part about inline is you don't realize how much lateral sliding you incorporate into ice hockey that just isn't possible on inline skates.

The hardest thing for me transitioning from ice to inline is the feel on your feet. It's weird to not have the forward/backwards rocking due to the blade radius. Inline skates feel much heavier and more upright if that makes sense, your toe and heel are both making contact with the surface. I always felt like they are harder to turn, they want to go more in a straight line than ice skates when turned to one side. They're less agile then ice skates.

The puck is lighter and (largely dependent on the surface) wants to bounce more often, and it won't slide nearly as fast as ice. That was the tough part for me. I had to adjust passes and stick handling.

Falling while playing inline sucks because you don't slide and you're not wearing nearly as much gear. Most guys only wear a thin girdle, shins, gloves and a helmet. My hip bones got bruised all the time playing inline.

Also be prepared to be hot. You're not on a big sheet of frozen water so rinks run much warmer. I've never sweat so much in my life.

I always hated tape on my sticks for inline. The tape on the bottom of the blade caused it to stick/drag. I used a rubber blade pad instead.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Awesome thanks for the info, that's all super helpful. I have a pair of Marsblades I got for pandemic skating that I'll be using and I'm still getting used to the rocking that the frames do. I tightened them as much as possible to make them more like inline skates but there's still some motion that I'm hoping I'll just get used to. After a bit of a skate this morning I realized how much not having real edges changes things, I think I'm just going to focus on just getting up and down the ice and not nearly as much side to side.

quote:

Also be prepared to be hot.

I'm playing in a pick up game in Maui so yeah... I go through a Gatorade bottle and a half in a game on ice so I'm expecting I'll need 3 tonight. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm coming home with a bruise or two so the other goal now is just "don't throw up out there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I've skated 7 times in 7 days! You all are right, each day I'm making progress on something new! I'm going to spend the rest of the week skating everyday and friday do a stick and puck for real this time.

Skating is great, thanks for encouraging me friends.