Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

bob dobbs is dead posted:

'abaddon' was a borrowing from the hebrew 5 centuries before the lads at nottingham were born

Yeah if we wanna get nitpicky, אבדון would be pronounced "ah-bah-DOHN" since Hebrew often stresses the last syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If we want to get properly nitpicky that transliterates to "avddn" because Hebrew text doesn't represent vowel sounds as letters and uses diacritics instead, and ב is not the same as בּ .

We really are languaging on easy-mode here in the anglosphere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah, all languages have an irresistible core of bullshit. hebrew has the gently caress-you-readerness of optional vowels but english's gently caress-you is orthography

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
My native language is written exactly as it is spoken, which occasionally trips me up when reading names in scifi/fantasy in English. Anytime English-speakers ask how to names should be pronounced in stories in English I become momentarily confused, until I remember that the same does not apply.

Like, the way English speakers pronounce the word "hero", we would write it "hiirou" because that's what we hear. Another example, we'd write "colonel", as "köönol".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Warden posted:

My native language is written exactly as it is spoken, which occasionally trips me up when reading names in scifi/fantasy in English. Anytime English-speakers ask how to names should be pronounced in stories in English I become momentarily confused, until I remember that the same does not apply.

Like, the way English speakers pronounce the word "hero", we would write it "hiirou" because that's what we hear. Another example, we'd write "colonel", as "köönol".

English is manageable as long as it just messes with vowel length and openness, and anyway there's going to be some accent around the world where your pronunciation is mostly right. The Welsh accent sounds a fair bit like Euro English at times (and yes, most Welsh people do have English as their first language).

The 'gently caress you' moments are stuff like "iron" where you have to skip the "r" even though no other similar word works that way, e.g. "irony" doesn't. Or my favourite, the British version of "lieutenant" where you have to add a F out of absolutely motherfuckin' nowhere (it isn't even in the French word they stole!).

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Everything I've heard from ESL speakers leads me to believe that learning to speak English is pretty easy but learning to read and write it is a nightmare. We have a few sounds that are weird (I think our "r" sound can also be found in Chinese languages and basically nowhere else) but they can be worked around if you don't mind having an accent. Our grammar is pretty straightforward with a few notable exceptions but our spelling, jfc. It's something native speakers struggle with so I can't even imagine non-native folks trying to hash out bullshit like "their, there, and they're".

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FishFood posted:

Everything I've heard from ESL speakers leads me to believe that learning to speak English is pretty easy but learning to read and write it is a nightmare. We have a few sounds that are weird (I think our "r" sound can also be found in Chinese languages and basically nowhere else) but they can be worked around if you don't mind having an accent. Our grammar is pretty straightforward with a few notable exceptions but our spelling, jfc. It's something native speakers struggle with so I can't even imagine non-native folks trying to hash out bullshit like "their, there, and they're".

Mistakes that native speakers commonly make aren't necessarily hard for non-native speakers. "They're", "their" and "there" for instance was never a problem for me or any other non native speaker I know. What is hard largely depends on the languages you already are fluent in: Many Chinese speakers, for instance, will mix up "he" and "she" because in Mandarin it's pronounced the exact same. Another common one is things like bored vs boring.

English pronunciation vs how things are spelled are completely out of whack too. Most people learning English will struggle with that (I personally used to say "character" with the "ch" sound of "check" for instance)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

English also has a lot of weird “informal” rules that are actually ironclad.

Like adjective order. Or ablaut reduplication. (Google that last one!)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NihilCredo posted:

Or my favourite, the British version of "lieutenant" where you have to add a F out of absolutely motherfuckin' nowhere (it isn't even in the French word they stole!).
There's a theory that it's due to the way the French pronunciation of "lieu" sounds to an English speaker due to how the mouth moves etc etc. Irish sensibly resolved this (and only this :negative:) by rendering it as "leifteanant".

a7m2 posted:

Mistakes that native speakers commonly make aren't necessarily hard for non-native speakers. "They're", "their" and "there" for instance was never a problem for me or any other non native speaker I know. What is hard largely depends on the languages you already are fluent in: Many Chinese speakers, for instance, will mix up "he" and "she" because in Mandarin it's pronounced the exact same. Another common one is things like bored vs boring.

English pronunciation vs how things are spelled are completely out of whack too. Most people learning English will struggle with that (I personally used to say "character" with the "ch" sound of "check" for instance)
A really fun thing to notice is people from whatever linguistic background tend to make the same mistakes unique to their own background. It's entertaining when a German who speaks accentlessly is confused that you can tell they're German simply because they said "make a party".

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I am an ESL teacher, among other things, and one of my great joys has been Brits, especially older ones, trying to figure out my class background based on the way I speak without doing so overtly, and me messing with them by failing to play along. I have a slight, vague sort of accent, which can be recognized as non-native English speaker, but it is apparently close enough that they can't just help themselves trying to instinctively figure out where I fit in society, and when that fails, they try to ask subtle probing questions to find out.

Warden fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NihilCredo posted:

The 'gently caress you' moments are stuff like "iron" where you have to skip the "r" even though no other similar word works that way, e.g. "irony" doesn't. Or my favourite, the British version of "lieutenant" where you have to add a F out of absolutely motherfuckin' nowhere (it isn't even in the French word they stole!).

The French lieutenants take command in lieu of a higher ranking officer.

The English lieutenants are left in charge when the CO naffs off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron and irony have way different etymologies though are both in the end indo European (English etymology is fun :eng101:)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Warden posted:

I am an ESL teacher, among other things, and one of my great joys has been Brits, especially older ones, trying to figure out my class background based on the way I speak without doing so overtly, and me messing with them by failing to play along. I have a slight, vague sort of accent, which can be recognized as non-native English speaker, but it is apparently close enough that they can't just help themselves trying to instinctively figure out where I fit in society, and when that fails, they try to ask subtle probing questions to find out.
My accent is so mild that since moving to the UK one person has managed to identify me as being Irish. This has not included any of the other Irish people I have spoken to.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

My accent is so mild that since moving to the UK one person has managed to identify me as being Irish. This has not included any of the other Irish people I have spoken to.

At one of my old jobs a customer once asked if I was Irish. This was in in Ontario, where I was born and lived my entire life. I've never even been near Ireland

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently pretty common in smaller towns in Ontario. Newfoundland is more famous for it though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

English is a garbage language for garbage people

Why are words with the same vowel structure pronounced differently????

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Because gently caress you, that's why

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every conquest, the language gets a little weirder. english speaking peeps have conquered the world. twice.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

English is a garbage language for garbage people

Why are words with the same vowel structure pronounced differently????

Because English isn't one language.

The grammatical base is Old English which is a Germanic language that the Anglo Saxons brought over. The Normans added a significant amount of vocabulary of Norman French into the mix. Then you add some Greek and Latin and you then get the bases of modern English. This is why pig is from Germanic roots while beef is from French/Romance roots

Then when the first dictionaries were being written the stupid fuckers decided to standardise the spelling from the root language of the word instead of going with a sensible phonetic system.

Then you add in a significant pronunciation drift just after the spellings were codified.

This is why we have often have two, three, four or five ways to spell the same phoneme and a complete clusterfuck of grammar and rules. The worst example is that there is technically no correct plural of octopus, or there are three correct plurals.

Plus before you Americans think you have a superior version of English, Americans ignored most of Webster's ideas to sort out English spellings and only kept a few like dropping the u.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

At one of my old jobs a customer once asked if I was Irish. This was in in Ontario, where I was born and lived my entire life. I've never even been near Ireland

I was born and raised around Chicago and when I went to Ireland it was mind blowing to have multiple people tell me they couldn't understand my accent.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Because English isn't one language.

The grammatical base is Old English which is a Germanic language that the Anglo Saxons brought over. The Normans added a significant amount of vocabulary of Norman French into the mix. Then you add some Greek and Latin and you then get the bases of modern English. This is why pig is from Germanic roots while beef is from French/Romance roots

Then when the first dictionaries were being written the stupid fuckers decided to standardise the spelling from the root language of the word instead of going with a sensible phonetic system.

Then you add in a significant pronunciation drift just after the spellings were codified.

This is why we have often have two, three, four or five ways to spell the same phoneme and a complete clusterfuck of grammar and rules. The worst example is that there is technically no correct plural of octopus, or there are three correct plurals.

Plus before you Americans think you have a superior version of English, Americans ignored most of Webster's ideas to sort out English spellings and only kept a few like dropping the u.

The History Guy did a video recently about the various attempts to fix American English spelling, but just like the metric system Americans wouldn't have any of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

If we want to get properly nitpicky that transliterates to "avddn" because Hebrew text doesn't represent vowel sounds as letters and uses diacritics instead, and ב is not the same as בּ .

We really are languaging on easy-mode here in the anglosphere.

If you want to get even more nitpicky, Hebrew is often written without the vowels/nikkud and you just have to know them because just like in English - gently caress you that's why. Semitic languages are a nightmare for learners.

(Source: me, a Jew and Hebrew reader)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bucnasti posted:

The History Guy did a video recently about the various attempts to fix American English spelling, but just like the metric system Americans wouldn't have any of it.

I dont get where the idea we're scared of Metric came from. We use it all the time its just in addition to Imperial measurements. When you walk into a grocery store in the US milk is sold in gallons and soda is sold in litres. In school the rulers have an inches side and a centimeters side. Lots of expensive spices and illegal drugs are sold in grams as well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AnEdgelord posted:

I dont get where the idea we're scared of Metric came from. We use it all the time its just in addition to Imperial measurements. When you walk into a grocery store in the US milk is sold in gallons and soda is sold in litres. In school the rulers have an inches side and a centimeters side. Lots of expensive spices and illegal drugs are sold in grams as well.

I always tell people that as an American I only speak English because instead of learning a second language we all have to learn two measuring systems.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Count Thrashula posted:

If you want to get even more nitpicky, Hebrew is often written without the vowels/nikkud and you just have to know them because just like in English - gently caress you that's why. Semitic languages are a nightmare for learners.

(Source: me, a Jew and Hebrew reader)
I do. Please continue. English apparently used to be like that with punctuation but someone decided it was a terrible idea.

AnEdgelord posted:

The Cherry Coke bottle in my fridge that I brought home from my last trip goes ounces, pints, ml. It seems... odd.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yeah everything at the store usually has both American Freedom units and Metric on it, especially nutritional info. We'll get the odd label where serving size is listed in imperial but the rest of the details are in metric, too, because gently caress us, right?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

As the old joke says, anyone who is learning english as a second language and doesn't completely lose it when they get to 'yacht' is a hero.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
http://www.i18nguy.com/chaos.html

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IshmaelZarkov posted:

As the old joke says, anyone who is learning english as a second language and doesn't completely lose it when they get to 'yacht' is a hero.

Personally I love that Pacific Ocean has C three times and they're all pronounced differently.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inspector_666 posted:

Personally I love that Pacific Ocean has C three times and they're all pronounced differently.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1291227/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

chainchompz posted:

Yeah everything at the store usually has both American Freedom units and Metric on it, especially nutritional info. We'll get the odd label where serving size is listed in imperial but the rest of the details are in metric, too, because gently caress us, right?

In his latest attempt to shore up support in his crazier base Boris Jonson was bloviating about bringing the imperial system back last week.

Almost certainally just stupid posturing, but FFS even suggesting it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

What's the third one? I've got octopi and octopusses.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Syncopated posted:

Octopodes.

https://oceanconservancy.org/blog/2022/02/01/plural-octopus/

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Syncopated posted:

Octopodes.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
octupli octuplae octupla

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Octopodi

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Deptfordx posted:

In his latest attempt to shore up support in his crazier base Boris Jonson was bloviating about bringing the imperial system back last week.

Almost certainally just stupid posturing, but FFS even suggesting it.

That's insane. I would much rather measure things in metric like the majority of the world. There's no need for anyone to go back.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Getting into the later Gaunt's Ghosts books and missing the times when he had no love interests. It just looks like a dour man sleeping with his subordinates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which book are you on, by chance? Traitor General?