Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Nenonen posted:

They are already wearing

a) high-viz

b) helmets

c) harnesses

There's a point where slapping more and more protective gear doesn't provide more safety.

If you don't attach the harnesses to something, you get OSHA cosplay and not OSHA...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Harry_Potato posted:

If you don't attach the harnesses to something, you get OSHA cosplay and not OSHA...

There you go again, pedantry over productivity.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Even if they attached a tether to their harnesses, would that satisfy you?

NO.

"The tether has to be connected to something else, too!" :rolleyes:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jesus is my tether :pray:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Isn’t that one in musth? Looks like his temporal ducts are leaking. That’s even more terrifying.

i duckduckgoed this and was furious to find out that "temporal ducts" have almost nothing to do with an elephant's ability to manipulate time :ssj:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ILL Machina posted:

Some reading says it's a seasonal testosterone rush that doesn't match estrus cycles, so it's not necessarily part of rut. And they'll fight plenty of lady elephants too. It's hard to study cause they just fight everyone.

Humans have that too, they're called incels.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cat Hatter posted:

Humans have that too, they're called incels.

So this is a video of an incelephant?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Even if they attached a tether to their harnesses, would that satisfy you?

NO.

"The tether has to be connected to something else, too!" :rolleyes:
tether is connected to the USD, my man

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

Jesus is my tether :pray:

Jesus, where were you when there was only one set of footprints on top of the scaffold?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ILL Machina posted:

Some reading says it's a seasonal testosterone rush that doesn't match estrus cycles, so it's not necessarily part of rut. And they'll fight plenty of lady elephants too. It's hard to study cause they just fight everyone.
So Stampy wasn't just a jerk, he was in musth.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Kowloon Slide City

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The hunt is concluded

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is that some kind of food coloring being transported?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Reminds me of hydraulic fluid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Could be generator fuel, with the dye added to be able to tell if someone's dodging road taxes by putting it in a vehicle.

Which would make that a very bad place to be standing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
my guess was off road diesel

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it died.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It's bulk baby blood headed for Bohemian Grove, duh.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Shortest Path posted:

Is that some kind of food coloring being transported?
Some kind of fuel or oil. Seems thicker than diesel, but the most info I can find is that the truck is a fuel truck. Every new article just calls it a mysterious fluid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUsT7UMgig

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Looking forward to ninja turtles

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Surely someone has an angle with the DOT placard visible.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

All I know is whatever it is it looks delicious

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

RIP Kool-Aid Man

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It's beets.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Humphreys posted:

If I remember correctly, prior to the crash there was a lot of poo poo talking going on in communities about the designer of that rollcage and that he cuts corners or something.

Seems that you're remembering correctly.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/wow-i-cant-believe-this-roll-cage-jeremy-foley-pikes-peak.1087042/post-14729370 posted:

So, I'm a four time Pikes Peak crew chief and in charge of car/bike prep for my team. I build time trial, road racing and rally cars, both modern and vintage. I run service crew for a rally team. And my day job is building and tuning performance suspensions.

Those are my screen grabs that have been linked to here and my pics of the smashed helmet. I saw the wrecked car in person after the accident. I've saw the inside and outside oncar footage the Monday evening after the event at a gas station in the middle of New Mexico when the owner of the smashed EVO broke out a laptop during a gas stop while we caravanned back to Texas.

The current "Time Attack" cage rules came from Formula Drift. And a cage built to the minimum rule set, like the one in the Millen car, is woefully inadequate. The Evolution Dynamics car (Foley's car) was built to an outdated NASA Time Trial spec. It's got a few more bars than the minimum, and larger sizes, but it's still not enough. Specifically it should have a second diagonal in the main hoop, a second diagonal in the roof, a 253-13 FIA bar in the A-pillar, a diagonal from the main hoop to above the door and a door X-bar that is much taller and better protects the occupants from intrusion. Pikes Peak should be run with a rally style cage as the accidents most closely resemble rally accidents.

That aside, the driver of that car caused that accident and he was warned about his over-the-top driving style multiple times by both last year's champion and I. He's got a few years of autocross experience and some minor success at it. But he doesn't have any real time trial, endurance or rally experience. He's never had to focus on driving for more than one minute at a time. Additionally, the car builder was admonished by other competitors in his online build thread for both their insufficient cage and their arrogant attitude.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

jetz0r posted:

Every new article just calls it a mysterious fluid.

Ah, so it's ATF, which automatics notoriously run on voodoo and hydraulics.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

`Nemesis posted:

my guess was off road diesel

No, it's definitely on the road.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zerg Mans posted:

I'm no elephantologist, but the temporin secretions on his head indicate that this elephant is in musth and is turbo-dangerous right now

Yeah, it's really confusing because it looks so calm and inquisitive and then it turns it's head and you see the secretions and think "oh gently caress"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Wanna taste that horny elephant juice.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've been trying to learn some poo poo about off roading vehicles and recovery.

Came across this video, thought of this thread.

Its uhhh relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2022

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Unperson_47 posted:

Wanna taste that horny elephant juice.

Dunno about that

Wikipedia posted:

The elephant's aggression may be partially caused by a reaction to the temporin, which naturally trickles down into the elephant's mouth, and (at least to a human) has a foul taste.

Although does indicate that someone had the same idea

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Wikipedia editors are just trying to protect the elephants from everyone who wants their delicious face juice.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

:v: So uh...what'd you decide to call it?

:black101: Tortion

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lamebot posted:

It's bulk baby blood headed for Bohemian Grove, duh.

For sale
Baby blood
Never pumped

old bean factory posted:

Why the gently caress do like 10 goons know what the horny juice on elephants is

God I love this website

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 12, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Eh double post

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MisterOblivious posted:

Seems that you're remembering correctly.

So uh, where a lot of hats eaten? Looks to the layman like the cage did it's job just fine.

vv: Edit, ah, thank you. All I read was "minor injuries" but yikes at the cage failing.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 12, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Serephina posted:

So uh, where a lot of hats eaten? Looks to the layman like the cage did it's job just fine.

That quote is from after the crash, and mentions the driver's helmet breaking apart. A cage that did it's job shouldn't let you hit your head hard enough to break your helmet. I googled the crash and you can also see that the cage collapsed in several places. That driver is as lucky as a guy who gets thrown through their windshield and walks away instead of exploding like a waterballoon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/wfYrSNt.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/kVswJvz.mp4

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Why does she need a man so bad? Wouldn't a winch and some rope, maybe a plank or two be much more useful?