Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mawarannahr posted:

i was looking for a pic based on the above conversation and found a different one :catstare:

Dude was doomed with that name. Impossible to not be a huge racist with a name like Carleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've been trying to figure out hair/skin colors for painting dark ages European miniatures and it kinda feels racist just googling it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I've been trying to figure out hair/skin colors for painting dark ages European miniatures and it kinda feels racist just googling it

Wouldn't just painting them all muddy and filthy to the point of skin tone being indistinguishable be more accurate anyway

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

i was looking for a pic based on the above conversation and found a different one :catstare:

lazy da share zone knockoff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Azathoth posted:

lazy da share zone knockoff

we're gonna find out dasharezone spent years amassing the world's largest collection of caucasoid skulls

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i've been looking for a quote/passage i'm sure i read somewhere here on the forums. its about how ww1 left a damned world and killed all meaning of political ideals. anyone know what i'm talking about

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i always liked when the highly diverse, throughly unproblematic scientists had to come up with their very well founded and not at all nonsensical racial categorization they got to white people and went "hrm, lets call our selves cock dinosaurs"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Well, they got a pretty good idea what Mesolithic Europeans looked like from some 5700 year old chewing gum.

Red hair is between 30,000-80,000 years old. Blonde is only about 11,000 years old.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CoolCab posted:

i always liked when the highly diverse, throughly unproblematic scientists had to come up with their very well founded and not at all nonsensical racial categorization they got to white people and went "hrm, lets call our selves cock dinosaurs"

a friend in nigeria comments on a hotep page sometimes so i see the posts on my timeline, this one was funny. there are lots of white supremacist conspiracy theories that have been ingested and repurposed by the third world

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hoteps seem more like premodern history unless the skull shape of the sphinx was influenced by napoleon using a cannon on its nose

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the hoteppa stone

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i've been looking for a quote/passage i'm sure i read somewhere here on the forums. its about how ww1 left a damned world and killed all meaning of political ideals. anyone know what i'm talking about

Isn't this the gist of Stefan Zweig's late writing

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

i say swears online posted:

a friend in nigeria comments on a hotep page sometimes so i see the posts on my timeline, this one was funny. there are lots of white supremacist conspiracy theories that have been ingested and repurposed by the third world

i once saw a racist Japanese guy on a forum say that he was worried about the population of hispanic people in the USA increasing because he thought hispanic people are not as intelligent as white people

I was just like drat. a) why does this guy feel like anything relating to usa demographics affects him at all and b) how come he's racist in this specific way lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

FPyat posted:

Isn't this the gist of Stefan Zweig's late writing

i dont see anything in searches of quotes of his. i dunno, part of it was about the internationale being some dream utopia that the war killed along with god and country. god this is driving me nuts

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jilevin/status/1534166050610286596

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

hoteps seem more like premodern history unless the skull shape of the sphinx was influenced by napoleon using a cannon on its nose

That’s an urban legend. There’s evidence that the nose was gone for centuries before Napoleon.

It probably just fell off some time in the late classical era.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

What was the involvement of organized crime in the underground abortion movement at the time?

Tia: The Chicago Outfit was pretty big and they were involved in all sorts of nefarious activity in Chicago. Any illegal act that they could profit from, they would. When abortion was criminalized in Chicago, that became another profit center for the mafia. We know anecdotally about the mob’s involvement, but there’s also been very little written about it, and it was a surprise to Emma and me to learn about that. When abortion is criminalized, it doesn’t mean women stop seeking abortion care. It just eliminates their access to safe abortion care. The mob filled in those gaps.

I haven't seen the new documentary on the Janes but I've seen older ones before. I remember some of them said that the man who taught them how to perform abortions was not a doctor and he ended up fleeing Chicago because the mob turned on him.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NuryVittachi/status/1534726144804913152

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/jennycohn1/status/1534733953571110919

just some light reading about that time republicans actually stole a presidential election using almost the exact same tactics trump failed to use awhile back but there werent any mean tweets at the time so it wasnt considered a threat to democracy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

If you google "First Black Man In Space" it directs you to "first black astronaut" as well as "first african american" which was Bluford on both counts.

start thinking inside the box

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yuri Gagarin was a PoC

Person of Constellations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I'm

Light year
Gamma
Black hole
Trans-Neptunian

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The slave ship Enterprise was engaged in the US "coastwise" slave trade - the movement of American-born slaves from one part of the United States to the other. In early 1835 the Enterprise was carrying 78 slaves, aged from 7 to 25, from Alexandria, Virginia to Charleston, South Carolina. The ship ran into bad weather that blew her heavily off course and far into the Atlantic, after 21 days of sailing, and with supplies running low, the crew realised that making for British-ruled Bermuda was her only option. She arrived in Hamilton on 11 February.

The master of the Enterprise, Elliot Smith, was aware that there had been previous occurences when American slave ships, having fell into British hands due to storms or shipwreck, had had their slave cargoes freed ostensibly as part of combating the international slave trade (which Great Britain and the US had both outlawed in 1807), with the legally-correct argument that slaves moving from one part of the US to the other were not being traded "internationally" ignored, usually by the legal side-step of arguing that any American slave transiting British territory, even unintentionally, was thus being "traded internationally".

When the Enterprise entered Hamilton harbour, Master Smith ensured that the Enterprise dropped anchor far off the coast in the bay, not at the wharf, and that all contact with the authorities on shore would take place by American sailors going ashore to order and buy new supplies. Despite these precautions, Bermudian sailors delivering supplies to the Enterprise became aware there were slaves onboard, and the presence of a slave-ship in the harbour became common knowledge.

[Picture: The Bermuda House of Sessions, seat of Bermuda's Parliament and Supreme Court since 1826.]

Only six months earlier, on 1 August 1834, the British Government had abolished slavery in the majority of the British Empire* and the local Bermudian community was very much still in the celebratory phase of emancipation, being one of two British colonies which immediately freed their entire slave populations without conditions (the other was Antigua). American sailors ashore reported that locals told them that soon the local population would raid the ship and rescue the slaves. Master Smith consequently rushed his final preparations for sea and was ready to sail on 18 February. He went ashore to receive his clearance to leave from the custom house and local comptroller.

He was met by Mr Richard Tucker (1786-1850?), Mr Tucker's biography is vague, he was a black Bermudian, and it is unclear if he was born free or slave, but he was likely free in 1829, when he rented a commercial property, and was definitely free in 1830, when he married Charlotte Bell, a former slave. When Enterprise arrived in Hamilton in 1835, Mr Tucker owned property valued at about £500 (about six years worth of wages for a skilled tradesman at the time, equivalent to £33,900 today), a significant sum that would allow him to vault past property qualifications and be one of the first black Bermudians to vote in 1837.

Mr Tucker was the founder of the Young Men’s Friendly Institution, an Anglican Church-linked community group that had been part of the abolitionist movement, and was now primarilly concerned with supporting newly-emancipated people.

Despite having no legal training, Mr Tucker had visited the Supreme Court of Bermuda (under Chief Justice Thomas Butterfield, in post 1834-1856) and requested a writ of Habeus Corpus. This is a legal remedy where a court can order a detained person to be brought before it to establish if they are detained legally, which has existed in some form or another in English law since 1166. Tucker handed the writ to Master Smith, and an all-black unit of British soldiers from the West India regiment** accompanied the American back to Enterprise while a Royal Navy gunboat from His Majesty's Dockyard Bermuda blocked the Enterprise into the harbour.

[Picture: "We Arrive", the Enterprise memorial, Hamilton, Bermuda, near the spot the Enterprise's human cargo came ashore. Unveiled in 2010 on the 175th anniverary of the liberation. ]

The local population of Hamilton rallied in support of Mr Tucker's actions, and as the 78 slaves aboard Enterprise were brought ashore, they were confronted by a huge cheering crowd.

Each of the adults amongst the 78 slaves was then individually and privately interviewed by Justice Butterfield from 9pm until midnight, who informed them that they could freely choose to stay on Bermuda as free people, or return to slavery. From these interviews it became apparent that some of the slaves were free black Americans from Maryland, who had been kidnapped by intra-American slavers from Virginia. This was technically illegal under US law (though it was incredibly difficult for free American blacks to prove their status once 'bagged' by slave-catchers) and may have further influenced Master Smith's attempts to avoid the Bermudian authorities.***

Of the 78, only one woman, 25-year-old Matilda Ridgely said she would return to slavery - taking her five children Ann, Betsey, Helen, Mahaley and Martha with her; her decision was because she had other children still in the United States. They were returned to Master Smith, and Enterprise left Bermuda. Ms Ridgely disappears from history at this point, and there is no clarity of what became of her & her children. Some of them may have lived to be emancipated from 1863-1865, though the life expectancy of American slaves mid-19th century was usually only mid to late 30s.

[Picture: "We Arrive" overlooking Barr's Bay, where Enterprise anchored.]

The Mayor of Hamilton, William Cox, opened up one of the town's storehouses as a temporary shelter for the 72 new Bermudians, while Attorney General Harvey Darrell collected £70 (£4000) for the relief of the arrivals. Mr Tucker and his Friendly Institution were given responsibility for the arrivals care, and the group swiftly integrated into Bermudian society.

This and other instances**** of British authorities releasing American slaves caused a decade-long diplomatic rift between Great Britain and the United States, which was only ended by a compensatory agreement in 1853, with the UK and US allowing an independent arbitrator to judge if each case was justified. In the case of the Enterprise, the actions of the British Bermudian authorities were deemed illegal, agreeing with the American argument that by not putting slaves ashore, the Enterprise had not transited British territory.

Great Britain paid $49,000 ($1.7 million today) to two American insurance agencies, the Augusta Insurance and Banking Company (which, as best I can tell, traded until the 1880s), and the Charleston Marine Insurance Company (about which I could find no further information), for the loss of the human cargo of the Enterprise.

[Picture: "hereby utterly and forever abolished", the crucial clause of the 1833 Abolition Act; despite this, slavery would persist in parts of the British Empire beyond this date, and post-abolition conditions put on black populations across the Empire would still limit their freedom, leaving a long road ahead.]

Mr Richard Tucker continued as a member of the Friendly Institution, and as an executive member of the Useful Knowledge Library (a privately-ran but publicly accessible library), and ran a hotel & restaurant in Hamilton until about 1850, after which there are no further records of him. Sadly, his son and seemingly only child, William Robinson Tucker, who was the first Bermudian to be sent to Great Britain for teacher training, died in 1848 from tuberculosis, aged 27.

The story of the slave ship Enterprise, and those freed from her, was told in a 1979 children's book "The Children of the Enterprise" by Nellie Eileen Musson.

In January 2020, Bermudian artist Eric Crenshaw began an art installation for the Masterworks Museum of Bermuda Art, Hamilton to commemorate the Enterprise, those freed from her, and the hideous choice that faced returnee Ms Matilda Ridgely. The founder and creative director of the Masterworks Museum is Tom Butterfield, great-great-great grandson of Chief Justice Butterfield.

The Bermudian Heritage Museum in St George has a permanent exhibition about the Enterprise, and the thousands of modern Bermudians who descend from those freed.

[Picture: Captain Kirk (William Shatner, b.1931) and the two Cheronise people, who represent the last survivors of their respective ethnic groups, and their whole species, and are only united in their utter hate for one another.]

For those who were taken in by the Enterprise-D image, I offer you a small consolatory Star Trek fact, one of the original pitch scripts for Star Trek was an achingly unsubtle story by Gene Roddenberry (1921-1991) called "A Matter of Black and White" which was set on a planet that was the Confederate States of America, but with the racial roles reversed, and Captain Kirk was to be captured as a "runaway slave".

This was further refined by Barry Trivers (1907-1981) into a story called "Kongo" (seemingly a reference to the medieval African Kingdom) which had a militarist slave-owning black society that would only communicate with the largely white crew of the starship Enterprise via Lieutenant Uhura (Nichelle Nichols, b.1932).

This idea was also scrapped as too incendiary for 1960s American television, but Star Trek (the Original Series) would tackle racism in the now-legendary "Let that be your last battlefield" (January 10, 1969) by Oliver Crawford (1917-2008), in which two aliens of the same species, but opposing ethnic groups - whose differences seem trivial to the far-future space-men of the Federation (a point hammered home by the make-up decisions to illustrate this) - are unable to put aside their racial hatred even in the face of their species' doom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asterix notes:

*Although the legal status of "enslaved" had been abolished in the majority of the British Empire, it was in many areas followed by involuntary "apprenticeships" of differing length - with former slaves continuing to work for their former owners, albeit for pay, before actual freedom to make their own choices came. Other "exceptions" existed, such as in areas ruled by the nominally private British East India Company. British abolition was also made possible by a huge Government-paid compensation scheme to slaveowners, a vast redistribution of British public wealth to an already privileged minority, the debt for which only cleared off Her Majesty's Treasury's books in 2015, meaning a majority of modern tax-paying black Britons descended from slaves have paid for their ancestor's freedom.

**The West India Regiment was, somewhat ironically, originally manned by the British Army covertly purchasing approximately 13,400 slaves from 1795-1808 to serve as soldiers in circumstances of dubious legality.

***Slavers were adept at legal trickery, it is possible that many Bermudans believed that Enterprise was involved in the already illegal transatlantic slave trade. US ships engaged in this would often carry a small number of English-speaking American slaves so that, when confronted by authorities, they could claim to be carrying only American slaves as part of the coastwise intra-America trade. In 1839, the empty slaver Catherine, captured by HMS Dolphin, was let go by a New York court as, despite having 350 sets of shackles onboard, her lawyers argued that being equipped for slave trading was not the same as slave trading.

****Comet 1830 and Encomium 1833 were previous cases where US slave-ships had came into British ports and had their human cargoes freed; after Enterprise they would be followed by Hermosa in 1840 and Creole in 1841; in 1855 Jamaican civilians forcibly boarded the Young American to free the ship's enslaved black cook.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reminder that 12 weeks before Pearl Harbor, the Senate had a special committee that was investigating whether Hollywood was being too mean to the Nazis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Covertbook/status/1534972658495803392

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Reminder that 12 weeks before Pearl Harbor, the Senate had a special committee that was investigating whether Hollywood was being too mean to the Nazis

And? Were they?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

And? Were they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_Investigation_into_Motion_Picture_War_Propaganda

the above link posted:

The hearings ended on 26 September. By late September, the investigation had run out of funds. Additional funds were never likely to be approved as the Audit and Control Committee was chaired by Scott Lucas, a supporter of US President Franklin Roosevelt.

anyway, even if they had gained that funding, it wouldn't have mattered after Pearl Harbor

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=370

British history seems to be taught from the perspective of a first person shooter where the Brits are the hero player character.

Rip and tear!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Can anyone recommend a good history of the Korean War? I just started listening to the when diplomacy fails podcast and... Yikes.

It starts off by talking about drat crazy the north Koreans are making nukes in the 21st century.

Then we get into the cold war primer about how Stalin was too paranoid and made a terrible mistake by not accepting the Marshall plan. Naturally this plan was in good faith and with no strings attached.

I had no idea that the Marshall plan was even offered to the soviets, does anyone know why they turned it down?

E: the Korean War was apparently mostly Stalins fault because he wanted China to fight the us. Hovever the host graciously allows thay the US was also looking to benefit from the conflict before it started..

Demon_Corsair has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Jun 10, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Korean War? I just started listening to the when diplomacy fails podcast and... Yikes.

It starts off by talking about drat crazy the north Koreans are making nukes in the 21st century.

Then we get into the cold war primer about how Stalin was too paranoid and made a terrible mistake by not accepting the Marshall plan. Naturally this plan was in good faith and with no strings attached.

I had no idea that the Marshall plan was even offered to the soviets, does anyone know why they turned it down?

because it was a back door for capitalism into the Soviet bloc and a fairly transparent one too

Molotov had already stated Soviet fears: "If American capital was given a free hand in the small states ruined and enfeebled by the war [it] would buy up the local industries, appropriate the more attractive Romanian, Yugoslav ... enterprises and would become the master in these small states."

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

They're not stupid

The Central Intelligence Agency received 5% of the Marshall Plan funds (about $685 million spread over six years), which it used to finance secret operations abroad. Through the Office of Policy Coordination money was directed toward support for labor unions, newspapers, student groups, artists and intellectuals, who were countering the anti-American counterparts subsidized by the communists. The largest sum went to the Congress for Cultural Freedom. There were no agents working among the Soviets or their satellite states.[105] The founding conference of the Congress for Cultural Freedom was held in Berlin in June 1950. Among the leading intellectuals from the US and Western Europe were writers, philosophers, critics and historians: Franz Borkenau, Karl Jaspers, John Dewey, Ignazio Silone, James Burnham, Hugh Trevor-Roper, Arthur Schlesinger Jr., Bertrand Russell, Ernst Reuter, Raymond Aron, Alfred Ayer, Benedetto Croce, Arthur Koestler, Richard Löwenthal, Melvin J. Lasky, Tennessee Williams, Irving Brown, and Sidney Hook. There were conservatives among the participants, but non-communist (or former communist) leftists were more numerous.[106]

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: the Korean War was apparently mostly Stalins fault because he wanted China to fight the us. Hovever the host graciously allows thay the US was also looking to benefit from the conflict before it started..

History of the Cold War is fine if boring and badly produced. They're basically just reading wiki synopsis but that's the genre for you

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1535407446449016833

out of the goodness of our hearts?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
American expectionalism is so pervasive, that Americans must make America the number one even in evilness.

Which is loving stupid when you are talking about WW2 Japan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm no history major but I'm pretty sure the US did not impose an embargo on Japan because it wanted to punish the empire for their crimes against the Chinese

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

well im sure the end of the war was more morally straightforward

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/08/06/mythmaking-and-the-atomic-destruction-of-hiroshima-and-nagasaki/

oh hm

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Demon_Corsair posted:

may not be “good” but season 3 of Blowback is starting in the next few weeks about Korea.
for reference s1 was the story of how the US hosed Iraq and s2 was how the US hosed cuba

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My go-to recommendation for the Korean War is Wilfred Burchett's "This Monstrous War"

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm no history major but I'm pretty sure the US did not impose an embargo on Japan because it wanted to punish the empire for their crimes against the Chinese

So imposing an embargo on a genocidal empire must be done for the pure reasons or it doesn't count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Would you care if Soviets had dropped a nuke on Berlin?