Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mawarannahr posted:

That requires an automobile. Not everyone has one. In fact, your countryfolk, even the 83% who do have a car, tend not to drive all that much: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/turo-study-shows-majority-of-canadians-own-cars-but-hardly-ever-drive-them-827345320.html

There are additional costs in time, money/fuel etc. that would discourage a nonzero amount of people from doing as you say. So I really don’t think it’s possible for it to be 100% theater on account of what you have said, and I hope they keep the requirements they do have in Canada (if any remain).

Right, so it’d be much less possible for the working class travelling to visit family or so, while not bothering rich people who can hire a limo bus to cross the border for their vacation.

Until we take stopping domestic transmission seriously, all border measures are loving stupid and useless. Who cares if a person comes across the border infected when the plague rats are wandering about at the supermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

Right, so it’d be much less possible for the working class travelling to visit family or so, while not bothering rich people who can hire a limo bus to cross the border for their vacation.

Until we take stopping domestic transmission seriously, all border measures are loving stupid and useless. Who cares if a person comes across the border infected when the plague rats are wandering about at the supermarket.

Its a lot more politically palatable to blame those sketchy foreigners than your own voters.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

PT6A posted:

Agreed. I have to get a PCR test within 72 hours of flying to New Zealand soon, despite the fact that New Zealand is recording higher per capita infection rates than Australia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
EUA advisory group report on the Moderna EUA expansion is out, and it's reportedly all green lights. Report's here (I can't read it atm):
https://www.fda.gov/media/159189/download

Bear in mind this is not the final approval step, it's just the really intensive one. There's a public meeting on it next week.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

mawarannahr posted:

There are additional costs in time, money/fuel etc. that would discourage a nonzero amount of people from doing as you say. So I really don’t think it’s possible for it to be 100% theater on account of what you have said, and I hope they keep the requirements they do have in Canada (if any remain).

I haven't done the math lately, but before the pandemic, flying out of Buffalo was often cheaper than flying out of Toronto, even if you had to pay for a week or two of parking at the Buffalo airport. You don't even have to leave home any earlier, because taking transit to the airport and showing up three hours before your flight doesn't really take any more time than driving to Buffalo and showing up an hour and a half before your flight.

Nowadays, there's also the actual perk of not having to sit for two hours on the tarmac when you return to Toronto, and the dubious perk of not having to be vaccinated, tested, or masked because it's a U.S. domestic flight.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Pretty sure both the Oilers and Leafs were driving across the border and then flying domestic US flights instead of flying direct during the NHL playoffs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Motherfucker who has had COVID twice brings me his laptop to troubleshoot, maskless, sniffling constantly, a used tissue in the same hand holding the laptop. I oughta burn the goddamn thing.

EDIT: And now the CEO has invited a dozen people (including me) to some sort of lunchtime meeting on Friday, and I am definitely not spending an hour in a closed room with a dozen maskless people while a bunch of my coworkers have just come down with COVID. I don't think there's a graceful way out of it but oh well.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 14, 2022

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Motherfucker who has had COVID twice brings me his laptop to troubleshoot, maskless, sniffling constantly, a used tissue in the same hand holding the laptop. I oughta burn the goddamn thing.

Drop it in the toilet by accident , then give it back .

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Give it back but with monkeypox on it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there any new research on fomite transmission? I had heard Omicron could live on a plastic surface for 5+ days.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've paid absolutely no attention to any surface-based transmission possibilities for basically two years at this point, beyond normal practices of washing one's hands regularly which is something you should be doing regardless of COVID, while being fastidious about masking in public, and I have yet to get COVID while a bunch of people around me have got COVID. I don't think it's a large risk at all compared with the airborne transmission route, even if it's theoretically possible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

And now the CEO has invited a dozen people (including me) to some sort of lunchtime meeting on Friday, and I am definitely not spending an hour in a closed room with a dozen maskless people while a bunch of my coworkers have just come down with COVID. I don't think there's a graceful way out of it but oh well.

They just bumped this stupid lunch by two weeks. They can schedule it for the 12th of Never I'm still not going.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s been 18 months since we had Covid in the house so I’m not sure about the current isolation guidance. My wife started symptoms last Wednesday (6/8), tested positive on Saturday (6/11). Looking at the CDC guideline bot here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

Back-end testing doesn’t matter? It’s 5 days of isolation (plus 5 days of a mask) after the fever stopped?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 15, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Depends what you're asking. Official guidelines are 5 days after symptom onset so long as you don't have a fever (not 5 days after the fever stopped).

How long you're actually infectious is very likely to be longer than that - even 10 days isolation is a compromise although a much more sane one. 14 days would be the the level you would go for to be near certain you're not infectious.

If you're going to use testing with any of the above, you should look for 2 consecutive days of negative rapid tests, false negatives are super common with rapid tests. PCRs aren't great at telling you you're no longer infectious, they can test positive for a good while longer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok I was confused between positive test and symptom onset, but it does appear you are correct:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/your-health/QI-Guidance-Isolation.pdf

The script asked if I had symptoms and I hit yes thinking it meant symptoms at all, not current symptoms.

Thanks!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Looks like Moderna 6 months to 5 years is given approval from this hearing today with a unanimous yes from all 21 voters.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Scipiotik posted:

Looks like Moderna 6 months to 5 years is given approval from this hearing today with a unanimous yes from all 21 voters.

i am so loving excited

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Riptor posted:

i am so loving excited

They're doing pfizer now, I think I'm leaning Moderna for my toddler, mainly because we have a flight planned which would fall between the 2nd and 3rd pfizer and the pfizer seems to be useless after two, but amazing after the third. Though there's also a large chance we wind up not going on the trip that we planned a year ago thinking he'd be long vaccinated before the trip...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Scipiotik posted:

They're doing pfizer now, I think I'm leaning Moderna for my toddler, mainly because we have a flight planned which would fall between the 2nd and 3rd pfizer and the pfizer seems to be useless after two, but amazing after the third. Though there's also a large chance we wind up not going on the trip that we planned a year ago thinking he'd be long vaccinated before the trip...

The thing about the 'amazing' number is that it's based off a gigantic sample of 10 cases. So that 80% number may end up dropping rather significantly. On balance, I'm leaning Moderna too

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I've seen some good tutorials on CR cubes (or boxes?) and I recall them being big early on during the first 6 months of Covid hitting the US. At this point, it seems like there are high quality HEPA air purifiers available on the market. Is there any good reason at this point to go the DIY route in stead of just buying a $50-$100 air purifier? I'm thinking about replacement cost of a specific built filter vs. having to buy 4 more high quality filters all at once. Is there some calculation for air-flow or quality that I'm missing?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Corsi cube gives you more filtering for much less money. A $50 off the shelf air purifier is way less powerful than a DIY cube.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

road potato posted:

I've seen some good tutorials on CR cubes (or boxes?) and I recall them being big early on during the first 6 months of Covid hitting the US. At this point, it seems like there are high quality HEPA air purifiers available on the market. Is there any good reason at this point to go the DIY route in stead of just buying a $50-$100 air purifier? I'm thinking about replacement cost of a specific built filter vs. having to buy 4 more high quality filters all at once. Is there some calculation for air-flow or quality that I'm missing?

https://cleanaircrew.org/box-fan-filters/ this is the site that has a bunch of good designs.

droll posted:

Corsi cube gives you more filtering for much less money. A $50 off the shelf air purifier is way less powerful than a DIY cube.

To continue on this answer, a CR cube doesn't even have to be an actual 4/5 filter cube, it can be done with a single filter in some cases and two pretty easily. The air exchange rate will be MUCH higher than any purifier, and in many cases those purifiers don't actually work well for Covid filtering. They'll also need their own replacement filters anyway, which usually run much more expensive - the main cost of a CR box is in the fan itself, and it can run without trouble until the filters literally clog.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
FYI here's a summary of the data and FDA committee opinions on the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines for kids under 5: https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/fda-advisors-unanimously-vote-to-authorize-covid-vaccines-for-kids-under-5/

I only had time to skim the article but I think the tl;dr is the FDA advisers had more concerns about the Pfizer vaccine because it requires three shots (very poor efficacy with only two shots, three month regimen to get decent protection) vs. Moderna's two and the confidence intervals on efficacy for Pfizer are massive. So the article recommends Moderna as the better option.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 17, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, my 3yo twins celebrated the approval of their vaccine by getting Covid this week, along with the rest of the (vaccinated) family. Goddammit.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool, my 3yo twins celebrated the approval of their vaccine by getting Covid this week, along with the rest of the (vaccinated) family. Goddammit.

It’s going through ours right now too. Got my MIL, my cousin, and my four-year-old after two quiet years. Strength to you all.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Same with my 2 year old twins (and me).

They're seemingly already over it but after 9 days I still have some congestion and a cough.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Fritz the Horse posted:

FYI here's a summary of the data and FDA committee opinions on the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines for kids under 5: https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/fda-advisors-unanimously-vote-to-authorize-covid-vaccines-for-kids-under-5/

I only had time to skim the article but I think the tl;dr is the FDA advisers had more concerns about the Pfizer vaccine because it requires three shots (very poor efficacy with only two shots, three month regimen to get decent protection) vs. Moderna's two and the confidence intervals on efficacy for Pfizer are massive. So the article recommends Moderna as the better option.

That's a bit disappointing. I know our pediatrician's office is going to only be stocking Pfizer. I don't understand enough about what is being discussed to know if we should seek out Moderna elsewhere.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

They're seemingly already over it but after 9 days I still have some congestion and a cough.

I tested positive yesterday. Ugh, this poo poo sucks. Its not terrible so far, but i feel like i have bronchitis.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

incogneato posted:

That's a bit disappointing. I know our pediatrician's office is going to only be stocking Pfizer. I don't understand enough about what is being discussed to know if we should seek out Moderna elsewhere.

Get Moderna. Check your local Public Health Dept. they often do vaccination drives.

The reason is because there will likely be a moderna booster coming up in the fall that will be eligible for under 5s as well (they're testing it now) and will include omicron variant MRNA as well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

It trends towards very mild in most kids. Bonus they're showing best efficacy vs. infection to be previous infection + vaccination so it will help as far as that's concerned (note: this does not mean go out and catch it, ugh).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Oracle posted:

Get Moderna. Check your local Public Health Dept. they often do vaccination drives.

The reason is because there will likely be a moderna booster coming up in the fall that will be eligible for under 5s as well (they're testing it now) and will include omicron variant MRNA as well.

Very good to know, thank you! Do you have a link for more info on that?

I think our pediatrician's office is only getting Pfizer. I'll have to figure out where to get vaccines administered outside a doctor's office for a baby under 1 year old. I assumed Walgreens or the like won't do that young, but I've honestly never thought about it before.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

incogneato posted:

Very good to know, thank you! Do you have a link for more info on that?

I think our pediatrician's office is only getting Pfizer. I'll have to figure out where to get vaccines administered outside a doctor's office for a baby under 1 year old. I assumed Walgreens or the like won't do that young, but I've honestly never thought about it before.

Your local epidemiologist is a pro follow. Here's the relevant info:

quote:

We have a hard choice. Which vaccine should my kids get?

You cannot make a wrong decision. Either vaccine is better than nothing, and both help with severe disease and death.

To me, though, the choice is clear. My girls will get Moderna for four reasons:
    The confidence in Pfizer’s efficacy is not strong… at all. Efficacy was only based on 3 cases in the vaccine group and 7 cases in the control group. Pfizer didn’t meet the standard protocol of 21 cases. This means the “true” effectiveness is unstable—it could be anywhere between 14% and 81%. We don’t know exactly where. Take 81% with a grain of salt.

Antibodies with Moderna reach the same levels in half the time compared to Pfizer (6 vs. 13 weeks). Kids are not protected until Dose 3 of Pfizer, which is a while.

Moderna confirmed they already started testing Dose 3 (booster) and will have data by this summer. We know that this vaccine is at least a 3-dose series. So, once we get Moderna and Pfizer on the same playing field, efficacy will be comparable. Importantly, Moderna is testing an Omicron-specific booster, not the original vaccine. This is different from the Pfizer trial, in which Dose 3 is the original formula. This is huge. By the end of summer, Moderna kids will likely be on the same playing field as adults, who will likely get a bivalent vaccine this fall.

FDA said they do not know whether the primary series for Pfizer is 3 doses or if this third dose is considered a booster. In other words, it may very well be that Pfizer kids will need a fourth dose for primary efficacy.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Oracle posted:

Your local epidemiologist is a pro follow. Here's the relevant info:

Thank you! That's a fantastic article.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

road potato posted:

The main advantage of an off the shelf unit is appearance. It looks like something that belongs in a room and doesn't attract undue attention. It won't mess up your feng shui vibe.

A secondary advantage could be the plastic case. The filter media is completely enclosed in a plastic case, so when you go to pick it up and move it you just grab it wherever and move it and you won't accidentally touch the filter media or grab it wrong and the tape comes apart.

Maaaaybe ease of use too. If you have dexterity or mobility issues, or you just hate DYI, buying something off the shelf and plugging it in is easier.

At any given price point the off the shelf solution will be much less effective. Also check the price of the replacement filters. Often the replacement filters are nearly the price of a new unit, because the unit is really just a plastic case and a fan. If you are supposed to replace filters every 3 months or 6 months that will really drive up the cost of ownership. Oh, and make sure they are actually HEPA filters (or whatever local standard) some air filters are designed to merely reduce dust, not tiny particles. Some use replicable activated carbon filters to reduce odours, but those won't do anything about virus particles either. A $50 off the shelf unit that is quiet and can sit on your desk probably doesn't really do much of anything, it's like homeopathic air cleaning.

At much higher price points you can get air purifiers that use UV light or static electricity in addition to a HEPA filter to do things a HEPA filter alone cannot. For like $700 bucks you can get a rock star air purifier that will work better than a CS cube and look great doing it.

A CS cube is cheap and effective. Incredibly effective for the price, so it could easily be deployed to places like schools with extremely tight budgets. But if appearance is more important than price you can get a nice off the shelf unit that is similar in effectiveness for probably $200-$300 bucks.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

road potato posted:

My work bought a ton of the small Medify Air purifiers two years ago, and I've been using a Coway Airmega 400 at home for about ten months now. I don't have any experience with CR cubes, but I have used a box fan before, so I can confidently say that fan noise is going to be one huge difference. Box fans are typically loud as gently caress, but both brands of air purifier that I have used are completely silent at their lower settings, and even at the highest settings, they are not distracting at all. Now, you could buy a higher quality fan for your cube that won't make as much noise while still moving air quickly, but then you're looking at a higher price for the DIY deal, and near silent fans aren't cheap.

The Coway Airmega 400 purifier was 380 bucks when I bought it. I got the Airmega 400 model specifically because it was rated for 1500+ sq ft, while you could spend 2/3 as much for purifiers that would only do 1/3 the amount of airflow. That's my biggest issue with the little Medify Air filter I have at work. It lives in a classroom, and I just don't believe it can move enough air to really be effective. It's probably a lot better than nothing, though. Further, the Coway has a very effective air quality sensor. I can sweep the kitchen and 15 feet away, it'll tell that there's dust in the air and kick on to a medium setting. If my cat poops, it'll turn on and run until it can't sense any litter dust. If I'm searing some meat, it'll go into red alert and purge the house of smoke and aerosolized oil. Also, notably, the manufactured air purifiers feature two stage filters - part HEPA, part charcoal. The charcoal loses its effectiveness way before the HEPA filter, but when those filters are fresh, they will literally pull the stink out of the air.

I don't believe you will find a 50-100 dollar air purifier that will be worth a poo poo, but I do think that the more expensive air purifiers have features that justify the cost if you can afford it. I was really on the fence when I bought mine, but I don't at all regret spending the money. I periodically have to clean out the prefilter, and I'll need to replace the filters soon for a cost of 40-110 dollars, depending on whether I go off-brand or name brand, but the silent operation and air quality sensor are incredible features.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

:hf: for twins

Yeah mine have a fluctuating fever for 4-5 days that goes away for 5 hours with Tylenol. Waking up past couple nights at 1-2am but otherwise are acting completely normal and playing all day.

When we had OG in Jan 2021, they (and myself) were both miserable for a full week. This one is so much more bearable, thankfully. I’ve had a minor cough that I thought was my hyper-active allergies.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

various people posted:

CR Cube answers

Lots of good info here, thank you everyone.

I'm thinking about a home setup and a classroom setup - I teach wind instruments and I'm starting at a new school, so I'm going to make some pretty big pitches for air filtration to my new admin if they haven't already made significant upgrades. If I do the DIY solution at home over summer I can see how nice I can make it look and how much sound it creates. I don't do well with a ton of persistent background noise, so if the CR cube is very loud then hopefully I can spring for a few that run decently quiet. I can also put them into very high mode for the passing time in between classes, scrub out the air of the students who were in before.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I probably have COVID. I visited my sister this weekend, she texted me on Tuesday saying she got it, and now I have a fever and feel like poo poo.

Anyway selfish baby time: I know I should get tested but I am utterly terrified of swabbing myself at a drive thru location. I’ve always been a sputtering wimp about swabs and even tongue depressors, and I can’t imagine doing it to myself.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I probably have COVID. I visited my sister this weekend, she texted me on Tuesday saying she got it, and now I have a fever and feel like poo poo.

Anyway selfish baby time: I know I should get tested but I am utterly terrified of swabbing myself at a drive thru location. I’ve always been a sputtering wimp about swabs and even tongue depressors, and I can’t imagine doing it to myself.

Use a lateral flow test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Unless you need a positive test for work/school/whatever there’s nothing particularly wrong about just assuming you have it and acting accordingly. If it’s not COVID it’s most likely something else contagious! Just monitor your symptoms and talk to a doctor if you start feeling worse.