Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I just saw Synecdoche, New York. That was the most pointless, self - indulgent piece of crap I have ever seen. I like Charlie Kaufman's work, but Holy hell.

If I wanted to see a movie about the inevitably of death, I'd watch Seventh Seal again.

E: or hell, play Planescape Torment again if I wanted to think about how our choices and regrets lead us to inevitable failure and defeat.

E2: Infinite Jest, too, for not being able to express yourself, due to all of us being doomed to live in our own heads.

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I was number one in red cards.....as the goalie :smug:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
then a neighbour took me into his van and hosed my rear end

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what’s going on with his neck

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

shrike82 posted:

what’s going on with his neck

crepeface posted:

then a neighbour took me into his van and hosed my rear end

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I crave moderate voices of reason!!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

He's so presidential, I can picture him saying that he's just been hosed in his rear end by the Mujahideen

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

None of our previous moderate voices of reason were moderate or reasonable enough, that was the problem with them

Only when we have an actor president who does catchphrases and nothing else will moderate reason finally be achieved

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Every McConaughey SOTU is just an hour of him saying "alright alright alright" over and over to thunderous applause; the entire press corps weeps with joy as they pen their headlines proclaiming that America has finally healed

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*squints* so it kind of SEEMS like powerful sinister special interests would want a weak head of state who is popular for personality reasons but doesn't give a poo poo one way or the other what they do or what the nation's policy is, but, the more important part is, reason

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

loquacius posted:

Every McConaughey SOTU is just an hour of him saying "alright alright alright" over and over to thunderous applause; the entire press corps weeps with joy as they pen their headlines proclaiming that America has finally healed

the family guy lois griffin 9/11 meme but it's "alright alright..." "...alright!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loquacius posted:

This but monologues from True Detective

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if he had to crush a sixer of lone star before he could speak to anyone i think that could be fun

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"I think taxes are a tragic misstep in human evolution and if you don't agree you should kill yourself."

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

im tired of all these star wars

https://i.imgur.com/zRL2NXa.mp4

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Durf posted:

im tired of all these star wars

https://i.imgur.com/zRL2NXa.mp4
I really love the a wing firing it's lasers in little awkward bursts that happened to perfectly match the weird flailing around the woman is doing

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Every single Obi-Wan episode has had at least like five shots that are as bafflingly lovely as that one. I think a lot of the blame is in the editing? My favourite is when they have an adult human run after baby Leia and you can see the adult visibly slowing themselves down so they don't catch up to quickly.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

no-one edits like that on purpose so the raw footage must have been really, really bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

josh04 posted:

no-one edits like that on purpose so the raw footage must have been really, really bad

yeah the child chase scenes from eps one and two don't seem like editing problems. nobody could stitch that film together and make it exciting

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
feels like someone high up at disney hates star wars big time and is trying to make everyone else hate it too

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think they're gambling on being able to get away with everything looking like poo poo because no one cares

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Man obi-wan could have been good. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Casey Finnigan posted:

feels like someone high up at disney hates star wars big time and is trying to make everyone else hate it too
this is good actually

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Take a look at Disney's extensive live action catalogue and you will discover they have no clue what they are doing and are also cheap as gently caress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Take a look at Disney's extensive live action catalogue and you will discover they have no clue what they are doing and are also cheap as gently caress

Mary Poppins is quite good! Especially the casual disregard for correct accents

Defective Pikachu
Jun 2, 2022

by Hand Knit
I watched the first episode of Boba Fett and the space assassin lady was in a rooftop chase and jumped off a building to evade pursuit, only to leap back on the roof a few seconds later from a different location. It was like a chase scene for someone without object permanence.

I turned it off shortly thereafter.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mastershakeman posted:

Mary Poppins is quite good! Especially the casual disregard for correct accents

Anyone who complains about the accents in Mary Poppins is wrong. You think the accents are the unrealistic part in the movie about the loving NANNY WHO FLIES?? THAT is what took you out of the whole thing?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Defective Pikachu posted:

It was like a chase scene for someone without object permanence.

Lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It was like a chase scene for someone without object permanence.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol you're prescribing way too much competence at disney for that to be the case

it's just straight up incompetence all the way

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

it really can’t be stressed enough that historically, disney’s attempts at live action have been complete trash on average, and people only forgot this because the mcu was competing in the arena of comic book movies, a genre even more miserable than disney’s usual fare

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I watched the first episode of Boba Fett and the space assassin lady was in a rooftop chase and jumped off a building to evade pursuit, only to leap back on the roof a few seconds later from a different location. It was like a chase scene for someone without object permanence.

I turned it off shortly thereafter.

Kenobi also had a bizarre, illogical rooftop chase

why do they keep filming those

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Anyone who complains about the accents in Mary Poppins is wrong. You think the accents are the unrealistic part in the movie about the loving NANNY WHO FLIES?? THAT is what took you out of the whole thing?

I think criticising the lack of craft when it comes to the accents is fine.

If the flying looked like arse, it'd be fair to criticise it too, rather than just saying "that's how physics/ reality / whatever" works in this universe.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
gee, maybe that new tech where they wrap a tiny set with a big computer screen is poo poo and limiting and everyone shouldn't be jerking off over it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

it really can’t be stressed enough that historically, disney’s attempts at live action have been complete trash on average, and people only forgot this because the mcu was competing in the arena of comic book movies, a genre even more miserable than disney’s usual fare

we watched the emma watson beauty and the beast and it was decent (certainly a weird fluke where they had just enough competent people on it), but yes absolutely. lol cruella looked like poo poo and was butt of the joke for like a year

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

gee, maybe that new tech where they wrap a tiny set with a big computer screen is poo poo and limiting and everyone shouldn't be jerking off over it

I would say it's extremely Disney to take a cool invention used by people genuinely interested in what they're doing and run it into the ground with endless slop but really it's more just a general capitalism thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
loved that making of EEAAO video where they basically built a stripped down version of the big disney VR stage with a couple of 4k best buy TVs lmao

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the cool thing about the UE5 volume or whatever is that its supposed to allow for dynamic camera movements in 3d space more easily but instead its just made half the shots in star wars shows take place in enormous empty cube rooms

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

loved that making of EEAAO video where they basically built a stripped down version of the big disney VR stage with a couple of 4k best buy TVs lmao

I can't believe the effects team for that movie was like 5 people. It looks amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. if anybody hasn't seen this vid, here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFopPPrGiE

it's literally my favorite film of, poo poo, the past ten years, at least. i cried like a child at the end and had to eat ice cream to chill out