Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Someday some fanfics and other dumb internet things will be ivory twoer grownup serious business topics of study.

Once read an article about queer representation in Star Trek shipping in the seventies. And that was written at least 30 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’m pretty sure there have studies about sherlock holmes fans. the original book, way back in the victorian era.

apparently when he “died” in the books there were people doing poo poo like wearing mourning bands lol.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Once read an article about queer representation in Star Trek shipping in the seventies. And that was written at least 30 years ago.

The term "slashfic" to refer to stories where a gay couple is shipped was invented for Trek. The first instances were Kirk/Spock.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fanfiction, as a concept, is as old as copyright.

And before that we just called it fiction.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jedit posted:

The term "slashfic" to refer to stories where a gay couple is shipped was invented for Trek. The first instances were Kirk/Spock.

Huh, did not know that. I only knew Star Trek fanfic was also the birthplace of Mary Sue.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

PhazonLink posted:

Someday some fanfics and other dumb internet things will be ivory twoer grownup serious business topics of study.

I once sat through an academic paper on the Omega verse at a law conference.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Plenty of the classics are full with dynamics that we'd consider fanfiction hallmarks, too. Lancelot from the Arthurian myth is basically one author's pet Original Character Do Not Steal, put in there to be basically the best knight in the world who is even more fated and noble than Arthur and also gets the girl. And of course Dante's Inferno was basically author's self-insert getting to hang out with his favourite idols from history while describing how his contemporary rivals will totally burn in hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

Plenty of the classics are full with dynamics that we'd consider fanfiction hallmarks, too. Lancelot from the Arthurian myth is basically one author's pet Original Character Do Not Steal, put in there to be basically the best knight in the world who is even more fated and noble than Arthur and also gets the girl. And of course Dante's Inferno was basically author's self-insert getting to hang out with his favourite idols from history while describing how his contemporary rivals will totally burn in hell.

yea people really need to understand that a poo poo ton of literature is indeed 'fanfic'. Just because it's not literally 'The Riddler Kisses Batman, A Book By Me' doesn't mean it's not fanfic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you do not have to use the word fanfic

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

hawowanlawow posted:

Dante's Inferno is biblical fanfic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perestroika posted:

Plenty of the classics are full with dynamics that we'd consider fanfiction hallmarks, too. Lancelot from the Arthurian myth is basically one author's pet Original Character Do Not Steal, put in there to be basically the best knight in the world who is even more fated and noble than Arthur and also gets the girl.

I find it very hard to take a claim that Lancelot was more noble than Arthur seriously when the girl he got was Arthur's wife. Galahad is the gentil parfait Knight, and not getting the girl is kind of his thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Samovar posted:

Dante's Inferno is biblical fanfic.

Paradise Lost was fanfic that's slowly been adopted into canon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

but they are literally fiction written by fans of (x) to include themselves/their characters/their ideas

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jedit posted:

The official novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture has an aside written in-character as Kirk wondering why people think he'd hook up with someone who only has sex every seven years.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC even after he was introduced Lancelot was a solid B-lister in the myths for a long time

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jedit posted:

I find it very hard to take a claim that Lancelot was more noble than Arthur seriously when the girl he got was Arthur's wife. Galahad is the gentil parfait Knight, and not getting the girl is kind of his thing.

That bit in particular is actually a pretty interesting example of how literary mores changed over time. Later writers were quite critical of their affair as Christianity had a greater influence on their writings and obviously adultery doesn't quite fly there. But for earlier writers it was a prime example of courtly love as it was in fashion at the time, which was all about mutual pining after an unattainable partner. It being adultery wouldn't have been considered morally wrong, as it was actually the very thing that made the affair all the more romantic and meaningful in the first place. The marriage between Arthur and Guinevere would've been thought of as just a practical matter, whereas the affair between Lancelot and Guinevere would've been thought of as genuinely romantic and literally ennobling.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jedit posted:

I find it very hard to take a claim that Lancelot was more noble than Arthur seriously when the girl he got was Arthur's wife.

Unless whoever came up with him in the first place was the historical equivalent of all those people who talk about cucks and alphas and betas and whatnot. Or, to be fair, marrying somebody for politics at the demand of your family only to secretly sleep with someone you actually love/are attracted to was enough of a medieval thing I can see someone claiming an adulterer was noble with a straight face, it seems cheating was downright universally accepted among the powerful (powerful men, at least; women are just things to be seduced not seduce themselves).

Though from what I've gathered from folks more familiar with Arthurian mythos, the whole thing seems to be fanfic the whole way down. Main thing sets up a great king with a court of the best knights in the world, come up with your own special knight and just stick him in the story having to go get his head cut off by a green man or whatever. Most Arthurian stuff even today does that exact same thing, Prince Valiant and the like are just following an ancient tradition. I suppose the Holy Grail quest stuff could have been people making the equivalent of an Avengers team up plot. Fanfic admittedly isn't quite a fair term though, there was no "canon" at the time these tales were conceived because you didn't generally have somebody writing it down; if it's just people telling stories, who would know when you make up your own and insert it into the framework? If people like the story, they start incorporating what you invented into their stories and so it gets spread. I expect there were several lame Knights of the Round Table who never made it into our knowledge because people thought they were boring/bad enough to never repeat the tales.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jedit posted:

It is in fact moral and ethical to commit crimes against the unelected nobility.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Toshimo posted:

It is in fact moral and ethical to commit crimes against the unelected nobility.

Lancelot was a cop so let’s not get carried away here

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Lancelot was a cop so let’s not get carried away here

And also, adultery is not a crime.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm gonna let y'all finish but El Cid is the greatest knight of all time

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm gonna let y'all finish but El Cid is the greatest knight of all time

It's true

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Galahad was a much later addition also - you see Malory's book try to sort of cover for this by making 'Galahad' Lancelot's original birth name and 'Lancelot' his confirmation name. He didn't get added into the stories until the Vulgate cycle in the 13th century. RUINING EVERYTHING.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alhazred posted:

And also, adultery is not a crime.

Not in a lot of countries in the modern day, maybe.

I’m just glad that we can recognize Lancelot as the toxic OC that he is

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

To add to Arthur/Galahad/Lancelot chat, I read TH White's lovely Sword in the Stone, as a wee child, then immediately moved on to his sequels, which are... difficult and painful for a little kid to read.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Museums around the world are just packed full of Biblical fanart. People pay to travel to see it.

Shiroc has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jun 12, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pookah posted:

To add to Arthur/Galahad/Lancelot chat, I read TH White's lovely Sword in the Stone, as a wee child, then immediately moved on to his sequels, which are... difficult and painful for a little kid to read.

What happened in them?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One of the earliest known fanfiction/author disputes involved Don Quixote. After the original novel was published, there were a "sequel" from a different author. Cervantes was peeved enough by this that he sat down and wrote a proper followup (now just added as extra chapters on the end) 10 years after initial publication.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shiroc posted:

Museums around the world are just packed full of Biblical fanart. People pay to travel to see it.

They’re more often full of depictions of the saints and the like, who aren’t in the Bible

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

MadDogMike posted:

(powerful men, at least; women are just things to be seduced not seduce themselves).

on the contrary, the medieval European view was that women were the seducers because women are massively lustful, their wild horniness constantly corrupting innocent men who would totally have been celibate if women weren't constantly demanding sex

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats still default idea today. well at least when some fundie fuckface or some other notable/important/powerful social figure gets caught.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Josef bugman posted:

What happened in them?

The same stuff that happens in La Morte D'Arthur. Incest, death, betrayal, misery, torment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just a bunch of medieval women being all "Yeah, your right, I was so jealous of your micro-husband, I just couldn't wait to have terrible sex with him just like you do. Seriously? After 10 years he learned nothing? That's all you got out of him?"

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Also, courtly love is an interesting thing if seen from the woman's perspective. Here you are, in an arranged marriage with a king who's probably twice your age and always away. And then one day there is a strapping young lad who is super tough but also very sensitive in his approach to you, someone who adores you so much that they will do anything to prove it.

If you take the first successful Arthurian romances that introduced courtly love into the mix, you see that writers like Chrétien de Troyes wrote mainly on commission for Queen Marie of France.

So basically, once storytellers figured out that the women of court were by far their most important audience, you start getting stories about sensitive men who appreciate a woman, even though she is married to an uncaring husband.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The Bible Extended Universe

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The Bible Extended Universe

ah The Apocrypha

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

verbal enema posted:

ah The Apocrypha

and revelations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Disney needs to buy the rights to the Bible and clear out all the cruft from the EU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Gawrsh, Sora, how are we gonna cross the Red Sea without a boat?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mooseontheloose posted:

and revelations.