Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Old world porcupine. Cute dudes compared to the 20 pound ones here.

That's because that one is a baby. Adult crested porcupines can get up to 60 lbs, making them one of the largest rodents in the world. North American porcupines are about the same length, but only half as massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

McGavin posted:

That's because that one is a baby. Adult crested porcupines can get up to 60 lbs, making them one of the largest rodents in the world. North American porcupines are about the same length, but only half as massive.

Oh poo poo, gently caress that.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

McGavin posted:

I had no idea that species got up into Europe

Edit:

“Crested porcupines have been known to collect thousands of bones that they find at night. They are mostly nocturnal, and they may wander upon the skeletons of many animals. They collect these bones, and store them in an underground chamber, or cave.”

WHAT

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

the yeti posted:

I had no idea that species got up into Europe

Edit:

“Crested porcupines have been known to collect thousands of bones that they find at night. They are mostly nocturnal, and they may wander upon the skeletons of many animals. They collect these bones, and store them in an underground chamber, or cave.”

WHAT

I assume they nibble on them for calcium.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

They're porcumancers

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Alright this one’s stumping me. SW PA, under wood in mulch in my yard. Thought it was a roach nymph at first but I don’t think that’s it. Has chonky back legs. Seemed to be interacting with these ants, rubbing antennae with and all. Absolutely refused to stop moving for a photo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

the yeti posted:

Alright this one’s stumping me. SW PA, under wood in mulch in my yard. Thought it was a roach nymph at first but I don’t think that’s it. Has chonky back legs. Seemed to be interacting with these ants, rubbing antennae with and all. Absolutely refused to stop moving for a photo.

That almost looks like a cave cricket

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

seems cricket-like but idk what it is exactly

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Literally A Person posted:

That almost looks like a cave cricket

my cat is norris posted:

seems cricket-like but idk what it is exactly

I think it's one of these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmecophilus

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
What a cool find! I've never seen a cricket like that before!

Nice geometrid (?) moth too!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ant-loving?! I want to be in THAT genus. But also bee-loving and bird-loving and spider-loving too, please.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Red Queen posted:

Nice geometrid (?) moth too!

I think that's probably right. I really like their wing fringe. I had to read about them. The whole inch worm/"measure the world" thing is adorable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometer_moth

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i post again because i met a BBC!!!!

big

black

cricket

i assume it's a field cricket

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Sorbus posted:

Visiting Tuscany, saw this strange hedgehog this morning

https://imgur.com/961ObZs.mp4

Just want to reiterate this is worth listening to for the sound, even if it'll turn into a 60 pound bone cruncher. :3:

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Saw a golden rainbow trout on our walk today.

Also a snapping turtle, but it swam away before I could get a picture.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Earwig

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Two polyphemus caterpillars from the same egg clutch, usually the little ones catch up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Enfys posted:

They're porcumancers

it really shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone that the black metal rodent is getting up to things in a cave at night w/ skeletons

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Today while I was taking out the trash, a neighbor pointed out these little friends poking out from a gap in the bricks near the ground:

Two little garter snakes! What cuties!

(Central Connecticut)

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
OMG they're so cute! My heart ; _ ;

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Silver Falcon posted:

(Central Connecticut)
This is a helluva cute picture.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Encountered this battle-scarred swamp wallaby yesterday in my local national park:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 13, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Silver Falcon posted:

Today while I was taking out the trash, a neighbor pointed out these little friends poking out from a gap in the bricks near the ground:

(Central Connecticut)

such cool snakes!

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Firefly season!

https://i.imgur.com/H9FR6GU.mp4

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

that wallaby rules

i love fireflies, i expect to see some this week -- last couple of nights have been on the cooler side, but we're warming up again

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Silver Falcon posted:

(Central Connecticut)

Snakes!!!!

So awesome!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

that wallaby rules

i love fireflies, i expect to see some this week -- last couple of nights have been on the cooler side, but we're warming up again

They're out tonight in Pittsburgh! I think they're all the most common J-flight ones. A few have wandered inside the last few weeks, unless I'm confusing them with some beetle imposter.

(Is this finally the year the several Western PA critter posters go poke about some park together?)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I found this lil guy having a real one across the street on a neighbor's porch the other day (do not skip the sound!)

There was also this thing hanging out in a local park's garden; guessing it's a ladybug nymph going by previous posts but not entirely sure, this is in the PNW US:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:actually: it's a laduybug larva.

The immature stages of insects that are hemimetabolous(no pupal stage, immatures look more or less like the adults) are called nymphs, while holometabolous insects goes through larval stages and a pupal stage before hatching as a winged adult.

the yeti posted:

A very widespread European species, Myrmecophilus acervorum, was described as a new species of cockroach in 1799. Later research showed that it belonged in the Orthoptera, with crickets.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I found this lil guy having a real one across the street on a neighbor's porch the other day (do not skip the sound!)

That's an odd noise for a squirrel to be making. And I thought the ones in my yard were grating!

Nothing too exciting here lately, but I've run into a few neat critters.

This zebra jumper has been guarding my kitchen. Check out those chompers!

There was also a crab-like spider patrolling the bathroom for a few weeks, but my cat found it and that was the end of that.

Probably about to settle down for some metamorphizing.

It took me way too long to figure out what this mess of a former animal was. Thinking muskrat based on the tail.

Family vacation!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orchid bee (?) inside a flower

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I once went outside and as I walked out a squirrel was on the awning above my front door screaming at me just like that one is. I assumed it was being protective of nearby offspring, but it didn't move and just sat there yelling at me from like 5 feet away so it was kind of a weird experience.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Weird_AnimaIs/status/1536678839987736577

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Holy cow, I always assumed that was just a bird making a weird rear end noise. My squirrels do this often, and the 'chipchipchipchip' noise.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

man if that was a muskrat, it's really seen better days. bones are so fascinating, though! thank you for sharing the messy encounter.

squirrels doing that HREH noise is a very common thing around here. they think they're so tough.

beautiful little bee!!!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

There was also this thing hanging out in a local park's garden; guessing it's a ladybug nymph going by previous posts but not entirely sure, this is in the PNW US:

Sounds a lot like this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKcZlw8Fzc

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Bloop posted:

Orchid bee (?) inside a flower

That thing is purdy.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Just a few friends that like to hang out by the shed:

Wolf spider, biggest one I've seen in years. With it's legs out was about the size of my palm.

Grey rat snake that's been eating good.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Love that snek. Bet it's a fishing spider.

This handsome fella flew up to the top of our streetlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqddneGYkc4

Insects are brutal.