Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

There should be no such thing as private defense attorneys. There should only be Public Defenders, everyone accused of a crime gets an attorney provided by the state.

So everyone gets a bad defense on account of them all being overworked and underpaid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
In a world where even the rich have to use public defenders they wouldn't be overworked and underpaid anymore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

There should be no such thing as private defense attorneys. There should only be Public Defenders, everyone accused of a crime gets an attorney provided by the state.
Same but for schools and hospitals.

And also everything else.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

That reduces the carbonation.

So the state pays for offense and defense? Sounds like a conflict of interest :hmmyes:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Wouldn’t that just leave everyone with not as good, overworked lawyers who answer to a state that would much prefer that the prosecutor won?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Wouldn’t that just leave everyone with not as good, overworked lawyers who answer to a state that would much prefer that the prosecutor won?

Instead of that only happening to the most vulnerable?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Monkey posted:

Instead of that only happening to the most vulnerable?

Making things worse for everyone isn’t justice, it’s just spite

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ok then, every dollar spent on a private defense attorney, at least half the fee goes to the public defenders' office.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Making things worse for the rich is justice.

But I suggest a compromise - the rich don't get lawyers, so the defense attorneys won't be overworked.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

thetoughestbean posted:

Are you actually arguing that the current state of things where guilt is often determined by whether you have money is ok? That any change that would make things more equitable, and thus worse for the rich is "spite"?

Because that's one of the worst, most disgusting, takes in this thread for a while.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

doverhog posted:

Are you actually arguing that the current state of things where guilt is often determined by whether you have money is ok? That any change that would make things more equitable, and thus worse for the rich is "spite"?

Because that's one of the worst, most disgusting, takes in this thread for a while.

Goddamn that's an uncharitable read. Make everyone's representation as good as rich people get.

Caufman posted:

Ok then, every dollar spent on a private defense attorney, at least half the fee goes to the public defenders' office.

I like this idea.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not super pleased by it after having said it, because the notion that you have the right to a better outcome in a court of law by spending more money is still suuuper messed up and an indictment of the legal system.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

When rich people have to suffer the consequences of a societal problem, it tends to get solved with a quickness.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

No, I’m saying things should be better for everyone, not worse for everyone.

Only having public defenders would be a huge jump towards authoritarianism. All it would do is reduce the choices available for middle and upper class citizens and create an even bigger strain on what public defenders we do have.

People having the right to a private attorney is important. It’s important to have the ability to defend yourself legally not be totally in the hands of the state. And lawyers don’t just work for the richest of the rich; there’s a number of lawyers who aren’t public defenders who specialize in working for low-income people as well as the middle class

Is the system as it is good? Not really. Should it be improved? Absolutely. Would getting rid of private attorneys help a single thing? Not in the slightest

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
PHUO: Authoritarianism is not a good descriptor of politics. It seems to mainly refer to "governments doing things I don't like" whereas something like Draconian at least has a better descriptive quality.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

No, I’m saying things should be better for everyone, not worse for everyone.

Only having public defenders would be a huge jump towards authoritarianism. All it would do is reduce the choices available for middle and upper class citizens and create an even bigger strain on what public defenders we do have.

People having the right to a private attorney is important. It’s important to have the ability to defend yourself legally not be totally in the hands of the state. And lawyers don’t just work for the richest of the rich; there’s a number of lawyers who aren’t public defenders who specialize in working for low-income people as well as the middle class

Is the system as it is good? Not really. Should it be improved? Absolutely. Would getting rid of private attorneys help a single thing? Not in the slightest

Tell me you've never interacted with a public defender without telling me you've never interacted with a public defender lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My understanding is that public defenders are actually quite good at what they do and have a lot of trial experience, they just don’t get nearly enough funding and have to stretch their resources really far. Also I recall a survey that suggested that they’re among the happiest lawyers.

Not sure where the idea that PDs are “not as good at being lawyers” actually comes from

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

My understanding is that public defenders are actually quite good at what they do and have a lot of trial experience, they just don’t get nearly enough funding and have to stretch their resources really far. Also I recall a survey that suggested that they’re among the happiest lawyers.

Not sure where the idea that PDs are “not as good at being lawyers” actually comes from

If: for poors

then: bad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

christmas boots posted:

Oh, I have nothing but respect for public defenders, I just don’t think a) they should be the only option available and b) massively increasing their workload would be at all a good idea

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think we should get rid of private practices but increase the number of public defenders so they're not so overworked.

Edit: I realize that's an extremely simplified idea but this is the Internet

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm late to the Onion talk a few pages ago, but this is an interesting blog that looks at how the Onion has changed over the years: https://onion20.substack.com

Related o(pi)nion-- I don't like Clickhole. I've enjoyed a few of the ClickVentures and a few articles like the one that's literally just the whole text of Moby-Dick, but in general I find their writing style annoying and too lolrandom monkey cheese.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

PHUO: Authoritarianism is not a good descriptor of politics. It seems to mainly refer to "governments doing things I don't like" whereas something like Draconian at least has a better descriptive quality.

That's the fault of people using it wrong, not the term itself.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Perhaps a different approach might be to require that a lawyer serve as a public defender as a prerequisite to serving as a prosecutor or judge, or as a private defense attorney. Hopefully inspire some empathy. Provide school loan forebearance for as long as a lawyer remains a public defender.

It seems like a simple enough idea that I’d assume there’s plenty of good arguments against it, but I suppose that’s why I’m not a lawyer!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Funny that the baseline arguments to defend a rich person take many times the time and money required to defend a poor person, for the same crime.

The problem is the very basis of the law - there shouldn't even be space for technical arguments or procedural fuckery. Just straightforward facts and a moral judgement by a professional judge and a jury.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Related point - the idea of an elected judge is absolutely farcical

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Strategic Tea posted:

The problem is the very basis of the law - there shouldn't even be space for technical arguments or procedural fuckery. Just straightforward facts and a moral judgement by a professional judge and a jury.

I don't know, there can be an awfully thin line between procedural technicalities and civil rights.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

That's the fault of people using it wrong, not the term itself.

If most people are using the term wrong, then they aren't using it wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No that's dumb bud

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

at anything but the very fanciest restaurants table service is an inconvenience to customers and basically abusive to staff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

No that's dumb bud

Did you know that "nice" used to mean correct or accurate? Not the lowest form of compliment. Meaning changes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yeah but when people say “authoritarian government” you know exactly what they mean

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah but when people say “authoritarian government” you know exactly what they mean

Actually I don't. Most of the time it is applied to governments that are doing similar things to the government I live under. Sometimes that entails that other government doing things I think are good, c.f. Bolivia prosecuting the ex president who helped head massacres.

It's a word that has no concrete meaning and, as such, is rather bad other than acting as a signal of what the user considers "bad". It's like using "administration" or "regime".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

christmas boots posted:

They get stretched thin and also the money is bad and public defenders usually have a ton of school debt. My oldest childhood friend is and DA and I lived with him when he used to be a public defender so I am blursed to know a bunch of lawyers and most of them were public defenders at one point and they were super serious about it and dedicated. Afaik the whole trope of public defenders being bumbling idiots is BS. It just boils down to them being given a huge stack of clients, while a rich person can just pay a lawyer a bunch of money to devote all of their time to them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

requesting that you wear a mask while a plague is spreading

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Byzantine posted:

requesting that you wear a mask while a plague is spreading

You know that they’re being hyperbolic and ridiculous, yes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When the "da da da da da da da da I'm loving it" jingle first appeared for McDonalds, I was like maybe eleven or twelve and I hated it. I forget what came before it, but this new one was terrible, and it was when I first started to become really cognizant of marketing. I remember thinking, Haha what a blunder, this is the worst marketing thing ever, and it's only going to be around for a little while and they're going to lose tons of money, Anyway, so, it's been like twenty something years, and I heard an ad for McDonalds on the radio podcast or spotify or something, and I was really surprised they're still using it. I stopped being mystified at it some years ago, and eventually just forgot about it... but it's still there. And I still hate it. It's an awful collection of syllables, it's catchy but not in a pleasant way, I've never ever heard anyone say "I'm lovin' it" about anything and especially not McDonalds. Everything about it as unappealing to me as it was when I first heard it. But I guess it's popular -- popular enough that it's endured decades. So I guess that's my unpopular opinion: the McDonalds jingle loving sucks and has always sucked.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

credburn posted:

When the "da da da da da da da da I'm loving it" jingle first appeared for McDonalds, I was like maybe eleven or twelve and I hated it. I forget what came before it, but this new one was terrible, and it was when I first started to become really cognizant of marketing. I remember thinking, Haha what a blunder, this is the worst marketing thing ever, and it's only going to be around for a little while and they're going to lose tons of money, Anyway, so, it's been like twenty something years, and I heard an ad for McDonalds on the radio podcast or spotify or something, and I was really surprised they're still using it. I stopped being mystified at it some years ago, and eventually just forgot about it... but it's still there. And I still hate it. It's an awful collection of syllables, it's catchy but not in a pleasant way, I've never ever heard anyone say "I'm lovin' it" about anything and especially not McDonalds. Everything about it as unappealing to me as it was when I first heard it. But I guess it's popular -- popular enough that it's endured decades. So I guess that's my unpopular opinion: the McDonalds jingle loving sucks and has always sucked.

How do you feel about Jazz? Note: I’m not talking about the music

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

credburn posted:

It's an awful collection of syllables, it's catchy but not in a pleasant way, I've never ever heard anyone say "I'm lovin' it" about anything and especially not McDonalds.

https://youtu.be/wtglXEPUDUk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FishBulbia posted:

table service is an inconvenience to customers
In what way?