Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Illuminado posted:

What's up goons, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been a casual coffee snob for a long time, but finally took the plunge and got a real espresso machine.

It was a lot cheaper than a new one, but is currently in a "not working" state.

Album Link

Supposedly it's not powering on at all, which hopefully will be easy to address. I feel like I'm pretty experienced in electronic and appliance repair, so hopefully I can at least figure out what's wrong with it, but I'm not familiar with espresso machines in general.

It also seems like it's missing a cup tray, portafilter, and screen, so I'm hoping I can get recommendations on what to get. From cursory googling around I've heard competing advice about getting a "double" or a "naked" basket setup and interested as to what advice y'all have.

If all goes well and I'm able to get it up and running, I'd be interested in a PID mod to address the apparent "heating" inconsistency, but for the time being, I just want to try to get it in basic working order, but any advice and guidance is appreciated.

If you're decent with electronics, I hope it works out great for you. I'd probably do the PID after getting it running so you don't have a useless PID sitting around. Basket is up to you, double spout or open is totally up to preference. Open bottom makes it easier to see if you're having channeling issues and I'd bet it's easier to keep clean. Grab some descaler and you'll probably need a new gasket and screen on the group head at least. You may be able to clean the rest without issue. I can't answer questions about the electrical, but there's a ton of info out there on these. I've had mine for about seven years now and all it's needed was a new gasket, but it's a newer model than the one you have there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Cool, I'll look into getting stuff.

Because it's "not turning on" I'm guessing that's going to just be a fuse or short in a power cable, but I'll post once it arrives and see what the damage is.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Illuminado posted:

What's up goons, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been a casual coffee snob for a long time, but finally took the plunge and got a real espresso machine.

It was a lot cheaper than a new one, but is currently in a "not working" state.

Album Link

Supposedly it's not powering on at all, which hopefully will be easy to address. I feel like I'm pretty experienced in electronic and appliance repair, so hopefully I can at least figure out what's wrong with it, but I'm not familiar with espresso machines in general.

It also seems like it's missing a cup tray, portafilter, and screen, so I'm hoping I can get recommendations on what to get. From cursory googling around I've heard competing advice about getting a "double" or a "naked" basket setup and interested as to what advice y'all have.

If all goes well and I'm able to get it up and running, I'd be interested in a PID mod to address the apparent "heating" inconsistency, but for the time being, I just want to try to get it in basic working order, but any advice and guidance is appreciated.

first step to try getting it heating: https://greatinfusions.com/blog/great-infusions-coffee-blog/the-first-thing-to-do-if-your-rancilio-silvia-wont-heat/ TLDR there's a thermal protection breaker which can trip and this blog post shows you how to reset it

Other problems: looks like you're missing the drip tray cover, water tank, portafilter and basket, and possibly the grouphead shower screen. That's a bottomless (or naked) portafilter but you can get one with a splitter if you prefer; upside to the splitter is you can easily split a shot into two cups (but it's not an ideal way to do it, since they're unlikely to be balanced) and it will contain any sprays if you have channeling (but you won't be able to see easily if you have channeling, plus it's an extra part to clean.) I prefer a bottomless portafilter for those reasons. You also don't necessarily need to get rancilio's portafilter since the two-lug ones are mostly interchangeable, but do your own research if you don't buy a rancilio branded one. Whatever portafilter you get, I strongly recommend upgrading to a portafilter basket from IMS or VST if you have room in the budget. 18-20g baskets are the default now but you can go down to about a 14g basket which might be a better fit for the small boiler of the silvia.

You used to be able to buy a flat shower screen upgrade but it doesn't seem to be on amazon any more. If you can find it I'd pick it up but it's not a critical upgrade. You'll also want to replace the gasket and you might as well put in a silicone one since they will last longer than the plain rubber. The later silvias also come with a ball socket steam wand; i'm not sure if it's possible to upgrade or what's involved in changing them out, but it might be worth looking into if you want to make milk drinks since the older style wand is kind of bad and not easy to clean.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m getting very frustrated with Baratza support.

I’m the one who had the grinder issue with my encore previously. Support identified the ring burr holder tab broke off and sent me a new one, but now the grinder just doesn’t work right.

Previously, depending on beans, ground between like 6-12 to get espresso. Now, if I grind at 10ish, I get a 18g in, 36g out in 10 seconds shot. If I go below 10, it literally can’t grind the beans. It would take about 4 minutes to grind 18g, and it chokes out.

After some back and forth, I sent them a video and their response was

I sent them a much angrier reply that this does not help, and this is not how the grinder performed before the failure. I first reached out to them on may 17th, and I’m getting super annoyed. Does anyone have any advice here?

That second setting where you moved it several ticks coarser still looked way fine when you took it out of the hopper. Is it usually that fine when you do espresso? I mean, don't be married to the setting you've been used to if number has changed but it's still fine enough for your purposes.

There are washers along the shaft which radically affect the coarse-to-fine setting depending on where along the shaft they're placed upon reassembly. You can set these burrs literally too close to grind beans, which is what it looks like on your first try. I've done that.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Awesome, thanks for the info! I found that this is a Version 1 of the Silvia ca. 2005 so that's something to go off of. I'll probably be opening up the boiler and giving it a hardcore clean, especially if I have to do see what's going on with it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

That second setting where you moved it several ticks coarser still looked way fine when you took it out of the hopper. Is it usually that fine when you do espresso? I mean, don't be married to the setting you've been used to if number has changed but it's still fine enough for your purposes.

There are washers along the shaft which radically affect the coarse-to-fine setting depending on where along the shaft they're placed upon reassembly. You can set these burrs literally too close to grind beans, which is what it looks like on your first try. I've done that.

No, I get a 18g in, 36g out shot in about 10 seconds on that setting.

bizwank posted:

Honestly that sounds like either something went wrong with the repair or there's another broken part in there, because it absolutely should be able to pass grounds through down to 1-3. Without beans in it, at what number do you hear the burrs start to touch?

I replied with more info earlier in the thread, but I just checked and burr touching squeal sound was around 7 or 6.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Illuminado posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! I found that this is a Version 1 of the Silvia ca. 2005 so that's something to go off of. I'll probably be opening up the boiler and giving it a hardcore clean, especially if I have to do see what's going on with it.

same one I had (still have actually - i will eventually get some photos and throw it on SA Mart, i swear). I ended up upgrading instead of doing the PID but it's a great machine, especially at a used price point. It's a tank and once you get it cleaned up you will probably get another 15 years out of it no problem

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I should have checked the forums before I checked ebay :negative:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have the calibration screw set pretty fine, but haven’t changed that in months, and haven’t made any changes to the grinder since the failure. The failure was sudden. One day I could make espresso the next I couldn’t.
This all started when you cranked it down about 20 steps while it wasn't running, correct? If that was enough force to break one or more of the burr retainer ears, then it may have broken something else too, and it's possible your burrs are much closer than they should be and/or are sitting crooked. I'd be looking for an issue with this part:

https://www.baratza.com/shop/adjustment-kit

Specifically either a separation of the black and white pieces or the entire assembly not sitting properly on the body of the grinder. That does mean opening it up much further, which is difficult to do without gouging up the plastic, so at this point I'd consider sending it in for warranty repair (if you still can) to save yourself any more time/frustration.

Illuminado posted:

Album Link

Push the button on the over-temp thermostat on the front of the boiler; if it clicks then it was tripped and you may then have power/heat. If you still have no power then I'd start by testing the power switch with a voltmeter; there aren't any other fuses on that machine and unless you see a gouge out of the power cord that's almost certainly fine. Once you do have power/heat, do all of your testing with it plugged into a GFCI outlet, and don't let it heat up to operating temp without first making sure the boiler is full of water. If it starts tripping the GFCI when it gets hot you'll need a new heating element, which on that version requires replacing the entire boiler along with a few other parts. Don't worry about the PID until your routine is tight and it's obvious the temp swing is what's giving you consistency issues.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Flair Pro 2 arrived and, well... Followed the manual's advice and used "inexpensive" beans (a well-reviewed blend the store threw in for free). Pulled 9 shots with it. First few were positively vile but, as I adjusted the grind and amount of water, they became technically drinkable. By the 9th shot, I followed what I gathered is a textbook procedure:

- both chamber and portafilter pre-heated over the kettle;
- grounds raked with a homemade WDT tool then tamped, leading to no channeling either while pulling the shot or later inspecting the puck;
- 15s pre-infusion at 2 bar followed by ~40s at 7~9 bar;
- 14g in, 35g out. Started at 2:1 ratio but bumped to 2.5:1;

and yet the resulting coffee was still nowhere near what I would call good. So I figured I should try a 10th and final shot with known good beans, a very mild and lovely Brazilian, while maintaining everything the same. Grinding was much more difficult - compared to the first beans, which gave me no issues - but ended so coarse the water flew freely into the cup as soon as I dropped the lever. I'll have to grind finer? Not sure I'll be able to!

In conclusion: what the hell have I gotten myself into

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

seravid posted:

Flair Pro 2 arrived and, well... Followed the manual's advice and used "inexpensive" beans (a well-reviewed blend the store threw in for free). Pulled 9 shots with it. First few were positively vile but, as I adjusted the grind and amount of water, they became technically drinkable. By the 9th shot, I followed what I gathered is a textbook procedure:

- both chamber and portafilter pre-heated over the kettle;
- grounds raked with a homemade WDT tool then tamped, leading to no channeling either while pulling the shot or later inspecting the puck;
- 15s pre-infusion at 2 bar followed by ~40s at 7~9 bar;
- 14g in, 35g out. Started at 2:1 ratio but bumped to 2.5:1;

and yet the resulting coffee was still nowhere near what I would call good. So I figured I should try a 10th and final shot with known good beans, a very mild and lovely Brazilian, while maintaining everything the same. Grinding was much more difficult - compared to the first beans, which gave me no issues - but ended so coarse the water flew freely into the cup as soon as I dropped the lever. I'll have to grind finer? Not sure I'll be able to!

In conclusion: what the hell have I gotten myself into

what grinder are you using?

e: and how dark are the beans, and when were they roasted

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 9, 2022

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

After owning a Flair Neo for a while now, I want to point out some things I think James Hoffman and some other youtubers left out of their reviews.

1) The basket and cylinder size are very limiting. There's not a lot of headroom for adjusting dose and how much water you're using. The Pro 2 expands your options, but...

2) You cannot upgrade to the Pro 2 without buying a whole new device. Hoffman talks about "the ecosystem" of the Neo and the fact that you can upgrade the basket to a non-pressurized one and add a pressure gauge, but that's really all you can do to improve the results of the Neo. If you opt for a Classic or Signature instead, you can upgrade things further, but Hoffman's video didn't mention that so it didn't really factor into the decision making that led to me buying a Neo.

3) Cleaning is a mess. For some reason the pressurized basket didn't have this problem, but after getting the bottomless one I haven't been able to empty it without dribbling muddy coffee grounds, since you're juggling the basket, cylinder, and shower screen, plus the puck has expanded over the lip of the basket. It's not the worst, but it's an annoyance, and it's odd since Hoffman is usually a bit pickier about the overall experience of using a machine.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Qylvaran posted:

After owning a Flair Neo for a while now, I want to point out some things I think James Hoffman and some other youtubers left out of their reviews.

1) The basket and cylinder size are very limiting. There's not a lot of headroom for adjusting dose and how much water you're using. The Pro 2 expands your options, but...

2) You cannot upgrade to the Pro 2 without buying a whole new device. Hoffman talks about "the ecosystem" of the Neo and the fact that you can upgrade the basket to a non-pressurized one and add a pressure gauge, but that's really all you can do to improve the results of the Neo. If you opt for a Classic or Signature instead, you can upgrade things further, but Hoffman's video didn't mention that so it didn't really factor into the decision making that led to me buying a Neo.

3) Cleaning is a mess. For some reason the pressurized basket didn't have this problem, but after getting the bottomless one I haven't been able to empty it without dribbling muddy coffee grounds, since you're juggling the basket, cylinder, and shower screen, plus the puck has expanded over the lip of the basket. It's not the worst, but it's an annoyance, and it's odd since Hoffman is usually a bit pickier about the overall experience of using a machine.

My experience is fairly different from yours. I’ve had my Neo with the bottomless portafilter for almost a year and I am still having a good deal of fun with it. You can’t do larger quantities, for sure, but depending on the coffee you use you can still manage a 14-17 grams range. Tbh I rarely get to 17, as it seems to be too much for the basket. If you don’t mind the smaller quantities you can use for adjusting your pull, then it’s still gonna give you enough range for flavor. My pucks are rarely muddy, though the fact most of my pulls stick to 14-15g helps. I usually pull at a 2:1 ratio and I flush the final bits of water into a different cup. If you let the Flair cool down a bit, you may have a higher chance of a less muddy puck.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I might be doing something wrong then. I pretty much always wait for it to cool down before cleaning, and I haven't gone above 15g. Maybe pressing out the last of the water would help. I haven't been doing that.

Also maybe I'm expecting a little too much from a $125 espresso maker.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

I might be doing something wrong then. I pretty much always wait for it to cool down before cleaning, and I haven't gone above 15g. Maybe pressing out the last of the water would help. I haven't been doing that.

Yeah, you should be pressing out all the water before trying to dump the grounds. This is true for all the manual espresso makers. If you don't press out all the water before dumping the puck, you won't get that nice compressed puck.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FWIW I get muddy pucks every time I go below 17g on the Pro 2 portafilter with a light roast, even when pushing the rest of the water through. Not a problem for me since I brew next to the sink but a consideration to be sure.

I love the brewer even on bags that I can't quite dial in - if I can't nail it I usually finish a bag with turboshots or 60s infusions because gently caress it, might as well go nuts.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

what grinder are you using?

e: and how dark are the beans, and when were they roasted

1zpresso JX non-pro. Not ideal, I know, but I've read that the Pro 2's tall and narrow portafilter allows one to get away with grinding a little coarser, so I should get okay, if not amazing results, right?

As for the beans:

Left: store's blend I received with the machine, roasted 11 days ago.
Right: Brazilian I already had. Roasted 9 weeks ago.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

unless they've been frozen the entire time 9 weeks is pretty old for espresso. i'd have difficulty adjusting my grind fine enough for the beans i use well before that and i pull shots at a lower pressure than most

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
yeah 9 weeks can still taste ok but it’s getting pretty stale. as beans age you typically need to grind finer to get the same flow so that tracks. I would probably try to avoid using two-month-old beans for espresso; it can be done but it can be an uphill battle and the results will never be spectacular.

Also those are both quite light roast, but the beans on the left are lighter. Very light roasts are tricky to do well even on very good equipment, on a fully manual lever with a less-than-ideal grinder you’re playing on expert mode. They tend to want a relatively high heat and large water volume/flow to extract well, which are the two things you’re limited on with the flair. You may find a bit more success with a medium or medium-dark bean which will be easier to extract.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Are you adjusting pressure as you go? The general thought is this:

1-2 bar for 5-10 sec (less time for darker roasts)
Ramp up to 6ish bar

Is the flow rate a trickle? Increase pressure
Is it gushing? Decrease
Is it channeling? Drop to zero then immediately back up to pressure. That small relief can collapse the channel.

Reasonable flow rate is way more important than constant pressure imo - if your grind is off you can use more or less pressure to make your flow rate even. The typical guidelines of 25-30 seconds for a shot doesn't account for variable pressure machines. I usually start dialing in a light roast with 5 sec pre, grind so that 6 bar finishes 25 seconds after the pre-infusion. 15g in 35g out. It seems like too little pressure but the 9 bar number is a standard meant to decrease contact time with dark roasts, if you've got light or medium roasts you can get away with much less pressure while still getting crema and avoiding bitterness :)

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 10, 2022

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

seravid posted:

1zpresso JX non-pro. Not ideal, I know, but I've read that the Pro 2's tall and narrow portafilter allows one to get away with grinding a little coarser, so I should get okay, if not amazing results, right?

As for the beans:

Left: store's blend I received with the machine, roasted 11 days ago.
Right: Brazilian I already had. Roasted 9 weeks ago.

9 weeks is absolutely unusably old for espresso. Keep it under 4 weeks, preferably in the range of 4 to 14 days off roast while you are learning to keep shots behaving more consistently. I also agree with the advice to avoid lightly roasted beans. That just leads to pain and disappointment unless you have specific setups.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Day 3. Shot number 17 done. I am now firmly in the "gently caress this" stage. I think my problem is temperature. I can't get the water in the chamber above 91º, and that's with a long-rear end steam preheat on the stove that makes it impossible to grab it by hand followed by another preheat by filling it with boiling water while a second, electric kettle boils the actual brewing water that is poured the second it reaches the right temp. Simplicity itself.

I've tried different methods for the grind, pressure, flow, timing, etc. going by the internet/youtube experts and also the advice given here, but the very strong sourness is always there. Assuming I got those variables right, the only suspect remaining is insufficient water temperature to properly extract a roast this light... which is a problem I apparently can't solve.

By the time I buy and receive an actually medium or dark roast from somewhere, the return window for the Flair will have passed. Not sure it's worth the hassle, honestly. I have and use a DE razor and brush and creams all that wet shaving nonsense, so I am no stranger to time-consuming "rituals", but the work/time to reward ratio here seems absurd, even more so when compared to the brewing methods I'm familiar with that produce consistently great-tasting coffee.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
That sounds very frustrating. One of the joys and challenges of espresso is that there are so many variables and they all matter; lever machines are fun because you can play with all of them, but it’s sometimes much easier to get into the sweet spot by tweaking one or two variables than trying to tweak seven or eight.

I think anyone would get agitated pulling that many shots and not getting a drinkable result. I don’t, however, think the fact that you haven’t managed to get a drinkable drink, as a newcomer to espresso who’s using coffee which your machine isn’t really designed for, means you will never be able to get something you’ll enjoy. More developed roasts genuinely do have a much bigger sweet spot to hit, and lots of people can and do get good results out of the same setup you’re using. It’s entirely up to you if you think that’s worth the effort, of course; espresso at home is just not a project that’s worth it for some people, even with much more sophisticated gear than yours.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

seravid posted:

Day 3. Shot number 17 done. I am now firmly in the "gently caress this" stage. I think my problem is temperature. I can't get the water in the chamber above 91º, and that's with a long-rear end steam preheat on the stove that makes it impossible to grab it by hand followed by another preheat by filling it with boiling water while a second, electric kettle boils the actual brewing water that is poured the second it reaches the right temp. Simplicity itself.

I've tried different methods for the grind, pressure, flow, timing, etc. going by the internet/youtube experts and also the advice given here, but the very strong sourness is always there. Assuming I got those variables right, the only suspect remaining is insufficient water temperature to properly extract a roast this light... which is a problem I apparently can't solve.

By the time I buy and receive an actually medium or dark roast from somewhere, the return window for the Flair will have passed. Not sure it's worth the hassle, honestly. I have and use a DE razor and brush and creams all that wet shaving nonsense, so I am no stranger to time-consuming "rituals", but the work/time to reward ratio here seems absurd, even more so when compared to the brewing methods I'm familiar with that produce consistently great-tasting coffee.

Light roasts are a million times harder.

Go to any local coffee shop (gently caress even a Starbucks, they may have recent roasts) and buy some beans. Any coffee shop that’s not a national chain will have fresh enough beans in a medium or dark roast.

TBH that was really kinda lovely of the shop that sold you the machine to give you free beans and not warn you it wouldn’t work well with your machine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

seravid posted:

life gets easier when you roast your own beans, it's really not that hard

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

*Laughs in cafelat robot*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Google Butt posted:

life gets easier when you roast your own beans, it's really not that hard

This is why I haven’t gotten into espresso. It’s a slippery loving slope.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's way too much work for something I'll drink in 30 seconds.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

MrYenko posted:

This is why I haven’t gotten into espresso. It’s a slippery loving slope.

I don't gently caress with espresso but the best single origin Ethiopian is $6/lb. Roasting is cheap but precision is expensive, if you're okay with that your roasts will likely taste just as good if not better than most just shops just from freshness and being able to choose your preference

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's way too much work for something I'll drink in 30 seconds.

This. I'll consider espresso when I can afford to put close to 0 effort into getting a good shot (never probably)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Google Butt posted:

This. I'll consider espresso when I can afford to put close to 0 effort into getting a good shot (never probably)

Eh. I find joy in dialing in a bag and loving with all the variables.

It’s expensive as hell though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah go to the grocery store and buy a bag of whatever italian-ish style dark roast coffee exists in your area. they should be very easy to pull short shots at lower temps with

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Google Butt posted:

There’s probably a $5000 machine that can do it for you.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Jhet posted:

There’s probably a $5000 machine that can do it for you.

even the superautos need some dialing in, sadly

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

George H.W. oval office posted:

Agreed. I felt the same frustrations with the Flair machines and bought a robot…I had a few shots worth of a learning curve and then BAM-nailed it.

It’s not even a hassle to use now.

I started with a 1zpresso grinder and moved up to a niche zero…no difference in quality of espresso, but the niche is much easier obviously than hand grinding.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

hypnophant posted:

even the superautos need some dialing in, sadly

He said "good" shot though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I don't aim for 9 bars, so I don't grind very fine so this was a surprise to me. Cool though!

https://youtu.be/1zpqzR_hUrg

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

TBH that was really kinda lovely of the shop that sold you the machine to give you free beans and not warn you it wouldn’t work well with your machine.

I did buy a medium roast Ethiopian along with the Flair to get started, but turns out it's as light as the blend they gave me, so not very medium at all!

George H.W. oval office posted:

So it's possible to extract a light roast with the Robot without preheating? How?

Today's report: as suggested, I went to the grocery store and bought 3 different bags of whatever they had. Closest specialty coffee shop or even Starbucks is 50km away, so that's a nope (which is why I order everything online).

Bag #1. Definitely dark. Pulled 4 shots. Grinding: easy. Crema: thick, lovely! Taste: started extremely salty, but got gradually better less bad. Last shot ended up with subtle notes of charcoal and somewhat aggressive bitterness, so exactly like the million coffees I've drank in cafés and restaurants over the years. Progress! I'll try a few more shots tomorrow before moving on to the next bag. Given the quality of the beans, I'm not expecting great results, but I'd like to at least tone down the bitterness.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nice progress! For the dark roast, grind two small clicks coarser and wait 10 seconds more off the boil before pulling a cup. Your extraction will be a bit less which should stop short of the bitter charcoal. You'll never get sweet out of that bag but you might get balanced, like dark chocolate :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As everyone has said espresso at home can be a pain in the rear end. However, except for my nightmare a page or so back, once I dial a bag in it’s good except for some slight adjustment finer as it ages.

It’s usually when I get impatient dialling a bag in that I end up wasting heaps.

Edit: should have said this is why I buy 500g minimum so I don’t risk wasting half a bag dialling in. I also keep a log book each time I try a new bean so I have a starting place.