Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So what's the reasoning for the cancellation?

Cost of production too much and too few actual viewers to warrant a Season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nothing out yet about why. Since the takeover of WB by Discovery they have been cleaning house with tons of stuff.

So possibly this costing a fuckton of money may have been it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shrink budget by opportunistically making a new episode when milk price suddenly drops. Like how McDonalds brings back the McRib whenever pork is cheap

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lol nothing matters anymore, top show on their service but who cares when some new rich sicko can make a lil extra money next quarter cutting quality and by the time their stuff rots apart from moves like that it'll be some other little rich weirdo's problem

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

According to reports (by me), the executives who made the decision are "a bunch of stupid assholes"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Martman posted:

According to reports (by me), the executives who made the decision are "a bunch of stupid assholes"

The same assholes who cancelled Santa Clarita Diet and left it on a cliffhanger too. I'll be forever mad about that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

It doesn't fit their marketing strategy and is weird, basically. Though yeah, also money.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What are good books that fill the void in my life that this show left? I'm definitely rereading The Jesus Incident at some point. All the weirder Lem stuff scratches that itch too but I'm looking for something new

e: also I'm not looking to join a milk cult. Only books for now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I started to read Gravity's Rainbow and I have no idea where it is going but it certainly feels loving weird. Hopefully not in the way Naked Lunch ended up being, that was one of the most difficult books I've ever read in my life.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson is a book about a colony ship that lands on a very hostile planet and there's an AI that sort of acts like a mother. I wouldn't say it's all THAT similar but it is a very good book.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Martman posted:

yeah gently caress those guys

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I read a couple weird sci-fi books a while back, so these have similar odd vibes:

Inverted World is like, what if a planet's shape was really hosed up and everyone lives in a moving city on rail tracks. I dunno if the ending is that satisfying, but it was a cool read if only for the premise.

Towing Jehovah is a messed up idea that God exists, but uh he just died and now there's a big humanoid corpse in the ocean and we gotta get it to the arctic so he doesn't decompose that much.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is a classic short story about a post-apocalyptic future where a super powerful AI goes insane and tortures the last 5 humans alive endlessly. Worth a read and fun to watch a playthrough of the PC adventure game where they expand on all of the characters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JazzFlight posted:

Towing Jehovah is a messed up idea that God exists, but uh he just died and now there's a big humanoid corpse in the ocean and we gotta get it to the arctic so he doesn't decompose that much.

Okay it sounded weird enough, then I read the rest of the synopsis and :vince:

quote:

God is dead, and now God's two-mile-long cadaver is floating in the Atlantic Ocean, just off the coast of Africa. As a result, the archangel Raphael hires supertanker captain Anthony Van Horne to tow the cadaver into the Arctic, with the intention of having it be preserved by the cold.

Just amazing :allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

GABA ghoul posted:

What are good books that fill the void in my life that this show left? I'm definitely rereading The Jesus Incident at some point. All the weirder Lem stuff scratches that itch too but I'm looking for something new

Anything by the Strugatsky brothers you can get your hands on. Philip K Dick's post-"vision" novels.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Forty Thousand in Gehenna by C. J. Cherryh. It's about a bunch of colonists sent to space to colonize a new planet. Among them are clones that are much like Mother and Father in that they are artificial humans tasked to raise children even though they know nothing about it. There's also a race of reptilians on the planet they end up on that the colonizers starts to be telepathic bonded to.

For weird religious stuff there's Unquenchable Fire by Rachel Pollack where gods and miracles are real which results in, amongst other things, that every neighborhood has their own god that it is mandatory to worship.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 8, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

For weird religious stuff, there's also the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone.

For general weird, everyone's probably read House of Leaves.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I just finished season 2 the other night. I haven't read this thread yet, but there are several questions I have.

1. What are you asses doing to make sure there's a season 3?

2. If the answer is "nothing," is anyone else doing something to get it picked back up by HBO or another network?

3. How the gently caress did mother get impregnated with the giant snake fetus? The simulation impregnated her? How? How is it half-organic? Did the real Campion intend for this thing to emerge?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I just finished season 2 the other night. I haven't read this thread yet, but there are several questions I have.

2. If the answer is "nothing," is anyone else doing something to get it picked back up by HBO or another network?

There's some stuff on the subreddit if you wanna join in.

3. How the gently caress did mother get impregnated with the giant snake fetus? The simulation impregnated her? How? How is it half-organic? Did the real Campion intend for this thing to emerge?

The simulation impregnated her. She's partly organic, just like most of the sentient tech on the show.

Not clear what the original Campion intended, but it's entirely possible he was just a useful idiot for Sol's interests. I suspect his programming added the random element that will end up loving over Sol's plans rather than anything else tbh.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Humans have some extremely advanced nano and bio tech in the show(the Keplarian dark photon/necromancer tech is based on that). So Mother can just synthesize complex molecules at will(all building blocks of a living cell are just complex molecules). Sol send her the building plans and genome and she made a first cell in her womb.

It's not clear why a weapon like the necromancer has that ability, but presumably the tech was not originality developed as a weapon(see grandmother) and Sol(and later earth humans) just weaponized it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect his programming added the random element that will end up loving over Sol's plans rather than anything else tbh.

He also hosed up Sol's plans in episode 1- a ship full of malleable true believers and servant androids arrived and Mother blew them the gently caress up.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Check out the Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. poo poo gets pretty god drat wacky. If you like feeling of having no loving idea of what's going on but you stay for the ride because some insane poo poo like a 100 year old two headed emperor being accidentally ressurrected by space jesus then you'll love Urth of the New Sun as much as you loved Raised By Wolves.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Yall talk like Sol is real instead of just an imaginary figurehead for their superstition, which is clearly the case.

The show has shown time and time again that Marcus is suffering from psychosis, whatever the cause. Signal is probably alien or just let by the civilization that existed on the planet before.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Sol is real, I don’t think the show leaves much doubt about it. He spoke into other’s peoples heads, not only with Marcus. He also somehow sent a message to earth which included the tech for the necromancer droids and the location of kepler

The question is if it’s really a god (probably not), not if it’s real or really communicated with Marcus

My personal theory was that he was a Wizard of Oz of sorts which the human resistance (comprised of the last humans who somehow evaded devolution, or at least were less devolved, like that dude Marcus found below the temple) created to try to drive the devolved humans away from the droids rule. They also created all the biotech that seems Sol related, like the snakes and trees and etc (probably adapting tech they stole from the droids)

They fought the droids and they lost, and than Grandma created that electromagnetic pulse to block its signal on the good part of the planet and thought it was over. Except the cold part of the planet was still unblocked so the human resistance managed to send the signal to our earth (the Sol revelation) to try to get humans from here to go there and help them free themselves. Also they knew about our earth because humans originated in keppler and were sent here some time in a distant past for some reason

Anyway, we will never know now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Buckethead claimed Sol commanded him to rape people in suspended animation. Which almost gave us a new mermaid baby.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Sol is bullshit. The religious people have been wrong at every step of the way. There remains to be a scientific explanation and the fall for the god of the gaps argument (because they dumb)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Sol is real, I don’t think the show leaves much doubt about it.
I really appreciated Campion, I think it was, saying "Of course I believe in Sol, I just think he's evil."

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Reddit atheist but for Sol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yall talk like Sol is real instead of just an imaginary figurehead for their superstition, which is clearly the case.

The show has shown time and time again that Marcus is suffering from psychosis, whatever the cause. Signal is probably alien or just let by the civilization that existed on the planet before.

Sol is literally real though?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

CODChimera posted:

There's a difference between "literally real" and "literally a god".

The pharoahs were real, they were not Devine beings.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CODChimera posted:

prove it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stargate is a documentary.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

next season when someone goes down the elevator

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all elevators lead to the lava level if they arent all jacked up with debris

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kingo Ligma posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone's denying that.

I suspect this is a semantic debate where posters have interpreted the phrase "Sol is real" differently.

Though, to be fair, this setting is deliberately leaning on that, evoking the old Clarke adage about sufficiently advanced science. The ambiguity is purposeful.

The answer is there is no answer because the show is cancelled.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sol absolutely does not keep it real

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sol is real in the sense that there is something talking to people and having influencing them.

Kingo Ligma posted:

"What's the difference between god and an alien?"

Probably lots Paul, you little shithead.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Sol is real insofar as it is a star at the center of the Solar System.

Sol is not a god and is not the source of that signal. It has a scientific explanation behind it, just like everything else has so far.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sol is a god in the material sense. He's an incredibly powerful being around which a religion was formed. He can penetrate people's minds, coerce them telepathically, and perform miracles and fulfil prophecies (within the pre-defined understanding of what those miracles and prophecies should be). He operates in means beyond human comprehension. He, to all intents and purposes, fulfils the definition of a god, because they're the being who wrote the definition in the first place. (A "self-fulfilling prophecy", if you will.)

He's not a god in the sense that he transcends material science, sure. But to all intents and purposes, he's a loving god.

It has a scientific explanation behind it, just like everything else has so far.

Explain milksnek using real world science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sol is real insofar as it is a star at the center of the Solar System.

Sol is not a god and is not the source of that signal. It has a scientific explanation behind it, just like everything else has so far.

????