Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

I think we have a good shot at under 3. I think that will lead to escalating proxy wars in pakistan/kashmir/nepal/butan between india and china over water (irrigation vs hydroelectric). As well as fighting between Egypt and Ethiopia over the nile. All in the backdrop of heat waves killing millions and drought driven crop failures and famines killing tens of millions sporadically every few years throughout central america, north africa, the middle east and southeast asia. That in turn will lead to refugee waves in the hundreds of millions, which on simple logistical level can't really be handled any way other than massssssssive camps.

In the western/wealthier world this will be much more constrained to a broad economic drag/tax (higher food prices, interrupted goods supply, higher insurance premiums) as yet another strain on the "middle" class. Punctuated by regional outlier events, like the northwest heatwave of a few years ago or the texan polar vortex near grid collapse, that occur increasingly from a few a decade, to every few years, to every year, to a few a year. The average and overall impacts are bad, but on any given year most people think they'll be fine. And when they aren't, it gives a narrative to the transition from "middle" class to "trailer" class that so many will go through. Tinyhomes and vanlife and camperforce etc, anything to not be "homeless".

I think its entirely possible the system broadly holds, just that we dial up the facism to 11 around border/refugee/camps stuff. South Asia and Africa will be engulfed in war, but North America, Europe and northern Asia will mostly muddle through. The overall body count of the 2030-2050s will be probably double that of the 1930s-1950s, but so is the population. Automation and genetic engineering will let us scale the bad things that we should not for another century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the real doom is that you can only watch

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

I think we have a good shot at under 3.

There's too many unknowns imo. Even if we switched off all emissions today, there's still a 10-year lagtime in temperature rises, and it all depends on the what horrible feedback loops might get triggered

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I like how the only plausible optimistic scenarios are the product of presumed systemic failure complete with deindustrialization and mountains of bodies that results in less emissions, like when I get told that antinatalism doesn't make sense because in hell future each new person is going to put out drastically less CO2 so it doesn't make sense to argue for less of them

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its sorta funny theres a police thread in GiP. guess the incentives make a crossover more likely but its makin me wonder, wheres the line. is CBP in there? immigration, etc.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Homeless Friend posted:

its sorta funny theres a police thread in GiP. guess the incentives make a crossover more likely but its makin me wonder, wheres the line. is CBP in there? immigration, etc.

Why the gently caress is there a gun forum, a car forum, and a babykiller forum on this site but the one goons constantly cry about it is the only halfway leftist o--wait, that's not a mystery at all

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-Paine posted:

I get told that antinatalism doesn't make sense because in hell future each new person is going to put out drastically less CO2 so it doesn't make sense to argue for less of them

the point was that either:

A. Society doesn't change and their marginal emissions won't matter at all as feedback loops take over on our way to hot house earth.

B. Society does change and thus your analysis of per-capita emissions becomes completely wrong as we shift to a decarbonized economy.

claiming emissions avoidance as a benefit to not having kids isn't really accurate. the climate won't get to see any benefit from the action. it is too late for marginal reductions in out-year emissions (aka the emissions from that kid living to 70 driving ICE cars to get their iced lattes) to do anything to help the climate.

now again there are other reasons to not have children, and this narrow look at emissions doesn't touch any of those. im not making any statement about the other areas of morality about the choice.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Homeless Friend posted:

Vets come trained to guard a fence in the desert all day. Figure in federal benefits/pension, and sure, someone in gip is probably a border cop (or lurking).

Why are you pondering this in the biosphere thread?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
drake no: pic of vietnam vet being called a babykiller
drake yes: pic of (**)PD being called a babykiller

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
(Arthur Morgan voice) How bout i ponder where i want to

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Wait the gently caress a landlord forum? Where?

BFC had a landlord thread but I think they got tired of getting invaded by posters from cspam and dnd calling them parasites and packed it in

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
tanker leaving the army and thanking god he never has to be in a tank again, putting in application to local pd and then....

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mayor Dave posted:

BFC had a landlord thread but I think they got tired of getting invaded by posters from cspam and dnd calling them parasites and packed it in

The funny thing about that particular incident is that nearly all of the posters showing up in that thread to call them bedbugs never posted in CSPAM or D&D.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

T-Paine posted:

are there actual pro-gun cspammers?

There used to be a whole gun thread until someone made some sketchy posts and the usual crew read them in the worst faith possible

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Homeless Friend posted:

drake no: pic of vietnam vet being called a babykiller
drake yes: pic of (**)PD being called a babykiller

Cop thread got lumped in to gip because it's under the umbrella of public service. It used to be somewhere else (ask/tell, probably) but kept getting spammed out of other subforums, so they put it where no one looks. It's been in gip for like, a decade.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

T-Paine posted:

like when I get told that antinatalism doesn't make sense because in hell future each new person is going to put out drastically less CO2 so it doesn't make sense to argue for less of them

It doesn't make sense in a similar way certain otherwise brilliant composers' Leitmotives did not make sense : one has about the same hope to meaningfully control the aesthetic abundance our species is capable of, as they would curbing its hardwired procreation drive through non-draconian means.

All species unconsciously stumble into excess if unchecked, we were just one of the paltry few able to maintain that state both to insanely awesome and catastrophically deleterious effects. For a split second. Dinosaur turds helped to get really rollin' fo sho, but you can't look at our past and not conclude the markers have always been on the wall.

I do have to bemol that my stoopid brein don't feel antinatalism is relevant to anything but the longer term; most of the clowns that are going to really turn this into a hosed up afterparty are already here.

Go take a walk outside, as advised by the people hoping to control the excess of creativity in this here forum, I assure you, things are not that bad, yet :mmmhmm:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cop thread got lumped in to gip because it's under the umbrella of public service. It used to be somewhere else (ask/tell, probably) but kept getting spammed out of other subforums, so they put it where no one looks. It's been in gip for like, a decade.

Cops aren't a public service ???

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

paying designer prices for polyurethane ftw

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
he meant public servants i.e. govt dole

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

There was a campground that I worked at growing up that sprayed some kind of solution on the roads to keep dirt down and I can't help but wonder if it was fracking brine. It worked really well, but when I think about how widespread using fracking brine as an alternative to road salt was in the midwest it makes me really wonder about what the gently caress it was that kept a dirt road from being dusty.

I was working a festival during summer that sprayed some stuff called gorilla snot all over to keep the dust down, heard it was some kind of watered down glue.
https://www.buildsite.com/pdf/soilworks/Gorilla-Snot-SDS-1989339.pdf

quote:

Synthetic Vinyl Copolymer Dispersion

yep, it's plastic. covered everything in plastic by the truck load, every day.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The cop thread in gip is anticop

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
police are antifa, as you can tell by their black uniforms, helmets, etc

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

taqueso posted:

does this mean that the biosphere collapse thread is anti-biosphere collapse????

what???????

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

taqueso posted:

sure it is

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

can i go into and say something like "every time a cop gets shot and killed or dies of covid or suicide i throw a little party and buy my children gifts"

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

so much cake these days
unfortunately it means im very fat

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pissinthewind posted:

can i go into and say something like "every time a cop gets shot and killed or dies of covid or suicide i throw a little party and buy my children gifts"

your kids must be spoiled

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
if you flip the word "cop" it becomes "poc"

makes u think

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ive been on the force for 20 years and if ive learned anything, it's that the men and women who keep us safe aren't so thin skinned that a few forum posts would get them worked up

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

person of cop

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Hubbert posted:

edit: woops forgot a panel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Cops are the plastic of people

Everywhere and loving terrible for everyone they come into contact with

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MightyBigMinus posted:

I think its entirely possible the system broadly holds, just that we dial up the facism to 11 around border/refugee/camps stuff. South Asia and Africa will be engulfed in war, but North America, Europe and northern Asia will mostly muddle through. The overall body count of the 2030-2050s will be probably double that of the 1930s-1950s, but so is the population. Automation and genetic engineering will let us scale the bad things that we should not for another century.

they might muddle through the 2050s but mere megadeaths isn't going to change the course of emissions and, over time and inevitably, the convergence of decreasing return on energy investment requiring an ever-increasing fraction of all labor dedicated to energy production and the increasing energy demand of climate mitigations needed to make conditions survivable (literally in large chunks of india and the middle east already, but in ever expanding regions as temperatures increase) means that areas will suffer regional failures of mitigation leading to mass death events at an ever-increasing rate, but stochastically so nobody will ever be able to say with certainty 'we specifically will be dead by [x] date' and thus nothing will ever be done

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

also this. i recognize it's trite but children of men (fertility plot or no) seems the more likely outcome in that it's a failed liberal democracy state but it's technically trudging through: people still ride buses, have weed, technically go about their lovely lives serving up coffee to the government workers, but it's backdropped to immense immerisation, fascism, malaise, and military-enforced-brutality to try to form a vague semblence of cohesion and protection of the system (that has failed)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Cops are the plastic of people

Everywhere and loving terrible for everyone they come into contact with

consistent with the micro-plastics in everyones' brains, too

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
the cop thread in gip is literally 100% about the crimes they commit though, nothing about it is remotely pro-cop

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I am going to retire here:

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1536009561622167553?t=8x7wLz1bHUCd0WU8hetERQ&s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

T-Paine posted:

Why the gently caress is there a gun forum, a car forum, and a babykiller forum on this site but the one goons constantly cry about it is the only halfway leftist o--wait, that's not a mystery at all

the most normal thing of all when people wonder why your thread is so normal is to get worked up about imagined forums wars enemies nobody else in any thread knows about

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

the cop thread in gip is literally 100% about the crimes they commit though, nothing about it is remotely pro-cop

quote:

I just wanted to stick my head in and say that in a land where the general sentiment is very ACAB, I appreciate y'all :unsmith:

EDIT: I'm more a SCAB type...not ACAB. And cops that watch a man drawn are definitely SCABs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol fine, like 90something%, whatever