Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm sorry but if you think Lando-T is annoying or OP or bad your team is bad and you should instead get good.

To be fair, they're overused in the competitive scene; especially Lando-T. Personally I prefer their therian formes over their incarnate ones, especially with the addition of the fourth member making up the 4 secret beasts of China.

I also read the Festival of Champions up to the latest chapter, and it's a great accumulation of everything pokemon up to this point; it's like I'm reading an adaptaiton of Pokemon Stadium I also surprised that Green/Blue/Gary gave Blue/Green/Leaf his Eevee after they fell into depression over Raticate's death; and yes they used the dead Raticate theory on this one.

Doc Melonhead fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it possible to get Oak’s Letter and other mystery gift items from mixing records or something? Or are they gone forever? Very annoying if they are.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

Catch/release weaker pokemon.

I do, it just gives me grit rocks in about the same proportion as other things. Which is at least 3 times too many

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
does the grit you get depend on the pokemon you release, or something?

I tried googling but all I can find is content-farm bullshit telling me stuff I already know.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hammerite posted:

does the grit you get depend on the pokemon you release, or something?

I tried googling but all I can find is content-farm bullshit telling me stuff I already know.

Yeah it does - higher level pokemon and alphas yield higher grit items when released.

I learned this when I was sorting through my alpha-dex and released a bunch of Alphas all at once and got almost all grit rocks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, you want a bunch of lower-level grit you need to catch a bunch of low level non-alpha Pokemon and do mass releases.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Lux Animus posted:

Yeah it does - higher level pokemon and alphas yield higher grit items when released.

I learned this when I was sorting through my alpha-dex and released a bunch of Alphas all at once and got almost all grit rocks

do you know what the exact logic the game uses is?

Someone somewhere, even nerdier than me, has worked this out in painstaking detail. If I could only find it

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Since time manipulation is going to be a thing in ScarViolet my biggest desire currently would be a hyperbaric time chamber but for mass-producing pokemon eggs. :pervert:

The EternaCare Center!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Eterna-tots

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pokeugenics Lab

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hammerite posted:

Someone somewhere, even nerdier than me, has worked this out in painstaking detail. If I could only find it

No but its probably based on levels. Like I said: Weaker pokemon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I've been loosely following the anime over the years up till the ending of Sun&Moon but this popped on my feed and gave me the feels :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOMdEsj2po0

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

lezard_valeth posted:

So I've been loosely following the anime over the years up till the ending of Sun&Moon but this popped on my feed and gave me the feels :unsmith:

…gently caress. :unsmith:

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

lezard_valeth posted:

:unsmith: good job Ash

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still curious if that was a fluke (though he also won the Orange Islands tournament and the Battle Frontier) or if they’ll let him beat Leon at the end of the current season as well

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Larryb posted:

Still curious if that was a fluke (though he also won the Orange Islands tournament and the Battle Frontier) or if they’ll let him beat Leon at the end of the current season as well

They're clearly positioning him as one of the best in the world now, he doesn't necessarily need the win

Would be cool though

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What do you suppose is Ash's strongest team of Pokemon at this point?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'd say his current one, but that one has access to Mega evolution and Gigantamax. Otherwise I believe its a toss-up between that team, his Sun and Moon team, his X and Y team and his Diamond and Pearl team. All of them have clear aces.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Larryb posted:

i mean they had him and pikachu beat literally god, who descended from the heavens to stand against them, in the exposition match, didn't they

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i mean they had him and pikachu beat literally god, who descended from the heavens to stand against them, in the exposition match, didn't they

Yeah and the finishing move was basically a Father-Son Kamehameha, poo poo ruled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Good point.

Also I forget, does a new incarnation of the anime typically begin before, after, or around the same time as a new mainline game comes out (though considering the whole world tour bit they could presumably just keep the current series going in this case and add the Gen 9 region/Pokémon into the mix)?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mraagvpeine posted:

If we get to draw from his entire line-up of Pokemon?

Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Gengar, and then you can probably throw in Snorlax or Infernape or Sceptile to round it out.

Larryb posted:

Good point.

Also I forget, does a new incarnation of the anime typically begin before, after, or around the same time as a new mainline game comes out (though considering the whole world tour bit they could presumably just keep the current series going in this case and add the Gen 9 region/Pokémon into the mix)?

Usually right around the same time as the new games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For some reason I am trying very hard to catch pretty much everything available in Shining Pearl, which I guess makes sense because the last time I fully completed the Nationaldex was in Pokémon Platinum*. Well anyway, if anyone has Brilliant Diamond and wants to trade all the version exclusives to me and also some Fire/Thunder/Sun Stones and the Skull & Helix fossils, that’d be super cool.

*I also completed the Galar Pokédex & Isle of Armor Pokédex, but not the Crown Tundra. Maybe I’ll go back and do that one too.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Just a heads up although I'm not sure if anyone's going to care (this board is essentially the only place I interact with people about pokemon so figured I might well post this here) I'm about to start doing some spring cleaning as it were. That means I'm going to start wonder trading my now massive collection of shinies to open up some much needed space. If any wants any kind of shiny at this point please ask me. I don't want anything in return but if there's something you're looking for now's the time to ask before I start giving them away online.

At this point I have multiples of several varieties so please don't hesitate to ask.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
is there a way to reset the guy on route 221 in BDSP that asks for a certain level pokemon and gives you a focus sash?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

teen phone cutie posted:

is there a way to reset the guy on route 221 in BDSP that asks for a certain level pokemon and gives you a focus sash?

every day it's a new level. the prize rotates between three martial-arts-themed held items, changing every time you show him a pokemon of the level he wants. Hope that helps!

e: I think it's focus sash, expert belt, and black belt

e2: to clarify, if you got a focus sash from the guy and then used it up in a non-battle-tower match, you would have to get an expert belt and a black belt from the guy over two more days before he'll give you another focus sash on the third day.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 15, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hammerite posted:

I dunno, go by level or area? Try something like this:

Grit Dust: Fieldlands non-alphas, Mirelands non-alphas
Grit Gravel: Mirelands non-alphas, Coastlands non-alphas, Mount Coronet non-alphas
Grit Pebbles: Mount Coronet non-alphas, Tundra non-alphas, low-lvl Alphas
Grit Rocks: Lvl 60+, most Alphas

Releasing pokemon with Shininess status I'm sure factors too but I'm not about to run tests on that.

e: forgot a place

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 15, 2022

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Lux Animus posted:

every day it's a new level. the prize rotates between three martial-arts-themed held items, changing every time you show him a pokemon of the level he wants. Hope that helps!

e: I think it's focus sash, expert belt, and black belt

e2: to clarify, if you got a focus sash from the guy and then used it up in a non-battle-tower match, you would have to get an expert belt and a black belt from the guy over two more days before he'll give you another focus sash on the third day.

oh! no i just mean can you reset what level he wants kinda like how you can reset the pokemon in the wild area in sword and shield by changing the date

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lux Animus posted:

Releasing pokemon with Shininess status I'm sure factors too but I'm not about to run tests on that.

Disable autosave, save, release, reset?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flopsy posted:

Just a heads up although I'm not sure if anyone's going to care (this board is essentially the only place I interact with people about pokemon so figured I might well post this here) I'm about to start doing some spring cleaning as it were. That means I'm going to start wonder trading my now massive collection of shinies to open up some much needed space. If any wants any kind of shiny at this point please ask me. I don't want anything in return but if there's something you're looking for now's the time to ask before I start giving them away online.

At this point I have multiples of several varieties so please don't hesitate to ask.

Got any Corsolas (Galar or otherwise) or Torkoal?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sorry but if you think Lando-T is annoying or OP or bad your team is bad and you should instead get good.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Lando-T.

For real, though, the first time you make a team and find out that Lando fills a crucial niche on it, you instantly forgive them of all their crimes.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 15, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

Disable autosave, save, release, reset?

oh, no, you're right in that it's possible, but you have me mistaken for someone willing to actually perform tests and make extensive notes on releasing shiny pokemon in PL:A :effort:

Personally I'm at the point where I have 999x of each grit item in my stash box if I don't sell them off already, so it's not particularly a poke-priority of mine

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

pospysyl posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Lando-T.

For real, though, the first time you make a team and find out that Lando fills a crucial niche on it, you instantly forgive them of all their crimes.

It's wild when they make actually good pokemon mechanically.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I for one love Lando-T, both for it's looks and it's competitive viability. I honestly wish it learned a better flying type attack than Fly though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Smogon-poisoned fools suckling at the teat of God's Own Mistake ITT

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bogart posted:

Smogon-poisoned fools suckling at the teat of God's Own Mistake ITT

Sunkern poster spotted

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lando is a cat and thus should be loved and respected.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Lando is a cat and thus should be loved and respected.

Only like half the time though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've played showdown. It's definitely more than half the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zuzie posted:

Only like half the time though

Pfft. Who uses non-Therian Lando?

It's wild when they make actually good pokemon mechanically.

I mean, yeah? Cynthia had it right the whole time. Garchomp 4 lyfe, motherfuckers. :colbert: