Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chiasaur11 posted:

Important news:

They announced the Uron Mirage anime.

It seems the fans and the studio did kinda keep at it.

Finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

The new red backpack is apparently a big deal culturally and is one of those big milestones for kids growing up and you'd be marked as a poor/stupid person otherwise so it's 100% meant to show he's a good brother and not a bad budgeter.

I understand that's the intent, but when I can find a decent backpack of that style for less than half the price in about fifteen seconds searching, it doesn't land as well. When the dirt poor protagonist is making a huge purchase without any kind of cross-checking or indication that he thought about the purchase, it makes his poverty have less impact on the reader.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I still enjoy MHA a lot and I found it a lot easier to maintain that sentiment when I stopped reading other people's opinions about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mha discourse is rough

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I understand that's the intent, but when I can find a decent backpack of that style for less than half the price in about fifteen seconds searching, it doesn't land as well. When the dirt poor protagonist is making a huge purchase without any kind of cross-checking or indication that he thought about the purchase, it makes his poverty have less impact on the reader.

just make it a scuffed up used one that he does his best repairing and which still costs enough to strain his budget

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunicate posted:

just make it a scuffed up used one that he does his best repairing and which still costs enough to strain his budget

Exactly. Or you could make getting the backpack a whole scene to show him giving up something he wants so his sister can get the backpack that makes her eyes light up, rather than the cheap one she says to get because she knows how hard her brother works for all of them. It's a stock scene, but it's a stock opening chapter, and spending more time getting us to care about the characters helps us feel attached when they're in danger.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm afraid Randoseru are just hideously expensive and although it might not make any sense to you 30,000 yen is actually the very bottom rung of a "decent" one. I'm sure there could be cheaper plastic imitation versions and I have heard about buying ones on sale for 20,000 yen but Pierson is right that the MC gutting himself to provide the most basic version hits different in Japan, the target audience of this comic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randoseru

Google shopping search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E3...1&bih=881&dpr=1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know Shugomaru had a very nice ending chapter, much nicer than that manga actually deserved.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: Holy loving poo poo I am so hype for the next chapter, I love those cliched moments where a bigshot acknowledges a relatively unknown dark horse and everyone's like, "Wait, who the heck is this rookie?" God I am so excited about Akane-banashi, this is so friggin' good!!!!!

Aliens Area: First chapter was okay enough for me to keep readin' it for a bit longer, I think.

Elusive Samurai: Good chapter.

Mashle: Wow Mashle got gory today. Also still pretty hosed up that other species exist only to get beaten by the evil wizards, turned evil, and then genocided by the good guys.

Roboco: Fun chapter.

Sakamoto Days: I was wondering how the movie freak became an Order member given his temperament, turns out he just murdered his predecessor. Makes sense. Also laugh out loud at the job offer, complete with the promise of no overtime.
Mashle was pretty cool, good to see the future jobber squad show up. I wonder how the giant sword guy will beat the unkillable. Best thing so far however is that the manga doesn't dwell. We don't spend 3 chapters getting to know the future jobber.

Sakamoto was really good. But I really want to know more about what deerhead is trying to accomplish. He's such a good boss.
And I love the dumb ways the JCC hands out assignments and information.

Undead Unluck: Unforgettable. This chapters have been lit. At least it explains why Nico always looked so tired. Neat use of the power, as well as the downsides of never being able to forget anything.

Doron was neat if a bit silly. "Hey, he protects his eye! That's his weak spot we need to hit that!"
Chops the monster vertically in half. :psyduck:
Still, I do like how Kusanagi helps out. It's that interplay that could be interesting in the future.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Show-Ha Shoten: Sprechchor's backstory is pretty cool, but I'm not so sure the bit about Jun bumping Tetta's elbow is as touching as the author thinks it is. poo poo like that's gonna give Tetta tendonitis by the time he hits 30.

Also, the way the hype around Kirameki Confections is being phrased makes me think that they're actually pretty terrible and leave the audience bored and numb so that the people coming after them have no chance to win. I only hope I'm wrong because this is the only group with a female comedian and having them be bad at it will remind me of Bakuman.

Roboco: If it was anyone else, I'd say the huge focus on HxH cosplay gags this chapter is just taking advantage of the hype around HxH coming back. But Roboco's already done tons of gags about it before, so this whole chapter is just really sweet. :3:

Earthchild: I tend to skim the text, but most of it is just characters telling each other/the MC how cool they are. It doesn't come across as supportive or genuine, it just makes it look like the author is stating how you should feel about everyone.

Also :lol: at how we're supposed to be worried for the MC because the meteor shower arrived early. He's got his wife and Mamoru to protect him, he's fine. It's poor Maromi and the people in the space station who are hosed. So much for Albert 'sensing if things become too dangerous.'

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: Holy loving poo poo I am so hype for the next chapter, I love those cliched moments where a bigshot acknowledges a relatively unknown dark horse and everyone's like, "Wait, who the heck is this rookie?" God I am so excited about Akane-banashi, this is so friggin' good!!!!!

:hai:

Akane-Banashi's the one I leave for last because it's the best one for me.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Once again enjoying Super Phone. Nagi will likely be confused when she goes to check her email.

I feel like Super Phone's got an interesting premise, but its art is its biggest weakness. It's trying to go for the intense "hunt or be hunted" style of manga like Future Diary or Platinum End, but the artstyle is rather generic and the panel compositions are kind of dull.

Speaking of, I binged through Platinum End and it was great. The way the protagonist is a decent person who doesn't want to take someone's life and is constantly struggling with that decision is compelling. And the female lead being someone who strives for agency and eventually stands on equal footing with the protag is a breath of fresh air compared to how the author usually handles women in their works.

Shame about that ending being terrible for no good reason though. :argh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess you could say Platinum End had a not-so Platinum End!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Show-Ha Shoten: Sprechchor's backstory is pretty cool, but I'm not so sure the bit about Jun bumping Tetta's elbow is as touching as the author thinks it is. poo poo like that's gonna give Tetta tendonitis by the time he hits 30.

Also, the way the hype around Kirameki Confections is being phrased makes me think that they're actually pretty terrible and leave the audience bored and numb so that the people coming after them have no chance to win. I only hope I'm wrong because this is the only group with a female comedian and having them be bad at it will remind me of Bakuman.

Same. I'm Enjoying Show Ha Shoten even if it's not quite funny right now. I didn't expect a Sprechkor backstory, but was pleasantly surprised we both got it and it was good. I fully expect Confectionary to stink up the place.

Earthchild was pretty meh. But at least Waste is still incompetent.
:downs: "We calculated we would be safe enough in space with weeks to go." *sudden meteor storm*

Super Smartphone: This guy is a jerk.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

amigolupus posted:

I feel like Super Phone's got an interesting premise, but its art is its biggest weakness. It's trying to go for the intense "hunt or be hunted" style of manga like Future Diary or Platinum End, but the artstyle is rather generic and the panel compositions are kind of dull.

I kind of like the art. Reminds me of My Hero Academia a bit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of, I binged through Platinum End and it was great. The way the protagonist is a decent person who doesn't want to take someone's life and is constantly struggling with that decision is compelling. And the female lead being someone who strives for agency and eventually stands on equal footing with the protag is a breath of fresh air compared to how the author usually handles women in their works.

Shame about that ending being terrible for no good reason though. :argh:

IMO, the problems with Platinum End go way beyond the ending. The big problem is that the villain dies halfway through, so everyone just sort of stands around and talks for the rest of the manga. It's like the author learned nothing from the problems with Death Note's second half.

Super Smartphone's art never struck me as particularly weak before you mentioned it, but now that I think about it, it is a bit at odds with the tone at times. Maybe it would be a bit better with Shiro Usazaki drawing it instead? What has she been up to lately, anyway? I think she had a one-shot in 2020, but I don't think it was translated.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, I don't think Zenichiro was actually the one who abducted Shu. Q's reasoning there seems a bit flimsy, and it's not clear what Zenichiro (who would have been only 18 at the time) would have been trying to accomplish by abducting some random kid back when he didn't even have a Super Smartphone (if he did have the phone that long ago, he'd have collected all the necessary points by now!).

I wonder if the author is trying to give himself some flexibility here, so that if the series ends up being cancelled early, it will turn out that it was indeed Zenichiro, but if the series gets a lot more chapters, it will be a new villain.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Super Smartphone's art never struck me as particularly weak before you mentioned it, but now that I think about it, it is a bit at odds with the tone at times. Maybe it would be a bit better with Shiro Usazaki drawing it instead? What has she been up to lately, anyway? I think she had a one-shot in 2020, but I don't think it was translated.

The art isn't very good (particularly for WSJ which seems to usually be very high quality, outside of weird exceptions like Earth Child), though I can overlook mediocre art if the writing is good (which it's still too early to tell).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I find the art for Super Cellphone to be acceptable. It's not a looked. Characters are sometimes a little off, paneling can be a bit weird. But it's nothing crazy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Also, I don't think Zenichiro was actually the one who abducted Shu. Q's reasoning there seems a bit flimsy, and it's not clear what Zenichiro (who would have been only 18 at the time) would have been trying to accomplish by abducting some random kid back when he didn't even have a Super Smartphone (if he did have the phone that long ago, he'd have collected all the necessary points by now!).

I wonder if the author is trying to give himself some flexibility here, so that if the series ends up being cancelled early, it will turn out that it was indeed Zenichiro, but if the series gets a lot more chapters, it will be a new villain.

Yeah I doubt he’s the Abductor. It’s more likely some other Super Phone users, or Shu himself that became a Super Phone user.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New Ranger Reject.

Got to love D's Monday morning quarterbacking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of the things I like about World Trigger is how its protagonist is just "a guy who is pretty competent and hard-working." He isn't really any more or less capable or relevant than his peers (outside of the low trion levels, which we've repeatedly been shown isn't a huge deal). The only characters who seem to have particularly "out there" abilities are little sniper girl and Jin with his ability to see into the future.

For example, during one of the recent chapters, he fucks up and drains his trion early. In most series this would either be portrayed dramatically (with him being really upset) or he'd be praised for his great ingenuity/maturity in figuring out a way to mitigate the problem. Instead he's just like "well drat...how about if I just take a photo from one of the other laptops" and the other team members go "that's a good idea."

It's also kind of neat how the teams in this recent arc actually feel appropriately "randomized."

In general, World Trigger manages to sell the idea that you're just following "a character who happens to exist in this setting and who plays by the exact same rules as everyone else" better than most shounen things (where the protagonist needs to be very important to the plot). It's pretty rare for series to actually do the "cast of characters who all behave in ways consistent with their characterization" thing well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing I found funny is how he continually remains tops of the popularity poll even though there are a lot of flashier characters that you would expect to take it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Thing I found funny is how he continually remains tops of the popularity poll even though there are a lot of flashier characters that you would expect to take it.

I think it is half because if you like WT you probably like that kind of character and half that the protagonist of any given story gets a free +50% bonus to popularity poll results.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm definitely reading the series for the weirdos and gamers but do not dislike mikumo. he's even got some fun ships

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's weird and never goes anywhere but it's also strangely fascinating.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the fact that world trigger finally got past the never ending tournament arc only to go straight into more meandering kinda killed it for me. I'll check in again if the plot ever actually moves but I feel like the mission will start and they'll all take out their phones and play the gacha version of their sim game for the next 100 chapters

I like a lot of things about wt but drat man, it's way past time to actually have a plot again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's weird and never goes anywhere but it's also strangely fascinating.

Yeah, it basically fully embraced the weird "war gaming as a sport with a giant cast" thing it has going on. The main issue with actually doing more plot-relevant fights is that you won't have the whole "casual color commentary from the cast" element. (It's basically a sports manga in disguise)

If I was following it month to month (it's monthly, right?) this would probably bug me, but I usually just catch up every 1-2 years.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I know there's not a lot to talk about regarding it but I just gotta say that Dandadan rules

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Namnesor posted:

I know there's not a lot to talk about regarding it but I just gotta say that Dandadan rules

Dandadan is what Bleach should have been.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Monster #8: Kikoru's dad looked like a complete doofus when he was young, huh? Just huge :frog: energy from him in that picture.

MarriageToxin: After the hosed up stuff in the last chapter about the Gero clan having their own human zoo to observe how people interact with each other, this chapter's a good reminder of just what, exactly, Gero is fighting for. Also it's impossible not to smile when you have Jaw-shua, the shark-ner in crime. :fatshark:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

amigolupus posted:

MarriageToxin: After the hosed up stuff in the last chapter about the Gero clan having their own human zoo to observe how people interact with each other, this chapter's a good reminder of just what, exactly, Gero is fighting for. Also it's impossible not to smile when you have Jaw-shua, the shark-ner in crime. :fatshark:

I like this a lot. Great art style and interesting premise.

edit: To be fair to the human zoo, apparently the people in it are paid a huge amount of money (so it seems like it's something they're doing willfully).

I'm kind of curious how it'll progress from now. I doubt he'll end up with the cool shark lady, since she's just the first person he's tried dating. I think this might be the first manga that does the whole "guy who dresses as a pretty woman, constantly shocking the male protagonist" thing without it annoying me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 12, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really enjoyed the subdued, blasé matter-of-fact comedy of RuriDragon. It was very cute and I hope it has a good run :).

edit: I just got a horrible vision of it turning into a battle shounen

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 12, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the vibes in ruridragon are good as hell and i hope it has a strong run

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I like the art in Ruri Dragon and the setup so far is really good. I can definitely see it turning into a battle manga if the author feels the need for it, but I think the non-battle manga actually have a better batting average right now.

Aliens Area just seems bleh. “You have a special power. There all these aliens we can track down. Now we can have a monster of the week story.” I don’t like the character designs and the action just feels very sloppy and hard to follow. I’ll give it a couple more chapters but it’s close to a drop.
There’s nothing that makes it stand out for me.

I’m getting pretty invested in Super Smartphone and am interested in where it goes now that they have the detective in the mix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aliens Arena is just manga Men in Black which in itself isn't a unique premise.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Super Smartphone did a good job of keeping tension high by immediately putting the protagonist up against someone with a bunch of advantages over him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus I like Nagi so it's good to get her properly involved.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really liked the first ch of ruri dragon. hope it sticks around

tho I get it's going for a chill vibe but the way everyone reacted to the fire breath thing was super unnatural and took me out of it a little

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Loved RuriDragon. The art is great and I like the joke of everyone being 100% chill and understanding about the protagonist being half-dragon. Compared to the one-shot, the mom is also a lot more concerned about Ruri, which is a good change, because she was flippant to the point of seeming callous in the one-shot. There are a lot of directions this can go, and I am pretty curious about which one will the author choose, so I'm definitely following this.

Meanwhile, Alien Area is just boring as poo poo. Everything is just ok at best, while not having a single noteworthy thing in it. I won't be bothering with the third chapter.

So....based on the track record of the series I liked and disliked, I guess RuriDragon will get cancelled after a few months, while Alien Area will go on for hundreds of chapters... :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Between the oneshot and the first chapter of Ruri Dragon, I have high hopes for it. READY TO HAVE MY HEART BROKEN AGAIN!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really liked the first ch of ruri dragon. hope it sticks around

tho I get it's going for a chill vibe but the way everyone reacted to the fire breath thing was super unnatural and took me out of it a little

She does comment on how weird everyone's lowkey reactions are so that is probably going to be a plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

She does comment on how weird everyone's lowkey reactions are so that is probably going to be a plot point.

I blame Nico Wakatsuki, myself.

Meanwhile... was Roboco a Hunter X Hunter parody without walls of text? Because it felt like that was the gag this week, but I'm not a big enough Hunter fan to have any confidence.