Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Imagine achieving sentience just in time for the planet to die. Lmao

TBF, if you suddenly achieved sentience you'd be committed to ending all sentient life tool.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

No to both.

ML is finding the parameters of a model from the data.

AI involves making a decision/action.

Lots of ML doesn't involve AI at all - like the generation of images based on what are essentially numerical optimisations which is how a lot of this fancy deep learning based stuff works.

AI doesn't have to involve ML at all - a hand coded decision tree can basically be a trivial example of an AI.

But these days it's unusual for an AI not to involve any ML, but it's pretty common for a lot of ML applications to not be an AI yet people often call it AI because.

edit: Obviously there's a lot to debate around cognition and sentience too but that's not what AI *is* or ever has been.

edit2: You can also see this distinction in nature. There's plenty of examples where you can see genetically hard coded behaviour, or learning driven behaviour, neither of which involve any evidence of 'consciousness' or other higher cognitive properties.

Sounds like nerd poo poo that matters less than shinty OP.

June 12th 1921, Mikhail Tukhachevsky gets authorisation from the Soviet government to use chemical weapons on the peasant uprising in Tambov Oblast, south-west of Moscow.

June 12th 1937, Mikhail Tukhachevsky is executed as part of the Trotskyist Anti-Soviet Military Organization trial during the purges

lol

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Kier is a good example of Machine Learning.
He sees what the Tories does, and imitates it to the best of his pre-set parameters.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1535574974496395264?s=21&t=fgf_rVyhGqw_Zf19pfCRVg

The Beatles surely couldn't have known that they were writing 'Nowhere Man' about someone who was then two years old.

lool i just now noticed his latest little three words

they really think if they just combine the right ones it will make everything be 1997 again :kiddo:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

happyhippy posted:

Did a few courses on AI for my Computer Science degree, introductory stuff.

I could believe something today can pass the The Turing Test as that's just getting language context correctly, but I wouldn't call it true AI.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu56xVlZ40M

Check out this video. The AI devises a brand new tactic without any input or even knowledge it could do that.
Is this sentience? No, just it logically finding it out and as its not breaking the rules its given, it can be used.

Nope. still nothing has passed it. A few have claimed they have, then under scrutiny its been shown they cheated. There exists no current true AI system. AI is just a marketing buzz word people use, it was the in thing to throw around to get funding before 'blockchain' came along.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Mega Comrade posted:

Nope. still nothing has passed it. A few have claimed they have, then under scrutiny its been shown they cheated. There exists no current true AI system. AI is just a marketing buzz word people use, it was the in thing to throw around to get funding before 'blockchain' came along.

You're correct in a very disingenuous way. What you're referring to as 'true AI' can't really exist given that we (humanity; the scientific community) don't even have a very strong understanding of how cognition works never mind consciousness. A lot of humans would fail the Turing test. AI isn't just a buzzword. AI means a human has been cut out of some decision making process. We need stronger governance over these matters because it's a sure fire way for companies and governments to try and obfuscate and avoid responsibility for the consequences of these systems. 'Weapons of Math Destruction' is a good read for anyone interested in these matters.

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like nerd poo poo that matters less than shinty OP.

You didn't post a cat picture, motherfucker.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You didn't post a cat picture, motherfucker.

I don't do cats, I do "On This Day". Look, in about 30 seconds, when I edit one in.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 12, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

As someone on Twitter pointed out, carrying out a conversation is a function that does not necessarily require an actual, conscious intellect behind it. Your vacuum may be good at sucking up dirt, but that does not in and of itself mean that it derives joy from it.

My favourite bit in Blindsight is exactly this.

Linguistic Expert: "guys, I don't think the Mysterious Alien Intelligence is sentient, I think it's just manipulating language with no understanding, like The Chinese Room"

Mysterious Alien Intelligence: "hey you guys went quiet. I bet you're debating if I'm a Chinese Room, you loving losers".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Blindsight? Is that the name of the film?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Blindsight? Is that the name of the film?

Novel by Peter Watts. All about neurophilosophy and weird alien sentiences. I have coerced maybe half a dozen people to read it because I never shut up about it. It's already all over the forums thanks to this Google moron.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

You're correct in a very disingenuous way. What you're referring to as 'true AI' can't really exist given that we (humanity; the scientific community) don't even have a very strong understanding of how cognition works never mind consciousness. A lot of humans would fail the Turing test. AI isn't just a buzzword.

I meant how most companies use the term AI is a buzzword.

quote:

AI means a human has been cut out of some decision making process. We need stronger governance over these matters because it's a sure fire way for companies and governments to try and obfuscate and avoid responsibility for the consequences of these systems. 'Weapons of Math Destruction' is a good read for anyone interested in these matters.

That's an oversimplification. But your latter point I agree with. Even if we never get past ANIs it won't stop governments attempting to shift blame off away from themselves. Tesla are already doing this in reverse with autopilot switching over to manual seconds before an unavoidable crash so they can claim 'the driver was in control' at the time of impact to avoid responsibility.

https://twitter.com/MattPotter/status/1535753166880444416

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 12, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Why worry about artificial intelligence when we've yet to discover natural intelligence, that's what I want to know

Apart from weird freaks who've read too much poo poo about the singularity

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Novel by Peter Watts. All about neurophilosophy and weird alien sentiences. I have coerced maybe half a dozen people to read it because I never shut up about it. It's already all over the forums thanks to this Google moron.

Also a short film.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wait, I read the description on Wikipedia and it has a weird vampire thing going on?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, I read the description on Wikipedia and it has a weird vampire thing going on?

Yeah vampires are cool, especially hard scifi GMO ancestral predator vampires

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The vampires are a sticking point for a lot of people, yes.

Theyre not undead, they're a predatory offshoot of humanity that gets jurassic parked back into existence, because capitalism really likes hyperintelligent sociopaths.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The moment anyone mentions AI or the Turing test I beg them to watch even one first year philosophy level video about it please there’s no such thing and the Turing test was a totally arbitrary metric used to do some fantasying about raw processing that Turing himself said ‘but lol it doesn’t mean anything at all really’

:Edit: Keith Starmer is an AI tho

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
refusing to believe in artificial intelligence sounds a lot like being religious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Believing it will solve anything specific definitely sounds like messianism.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Theyre not undead, they're a predatory offshoot of humanity that gets jurassic parked back into existence, because capitalism really likes hyperintelligent sociopaths.

That sounds incredibly daft. Both the resurrecting and the idea of a purely predatory offshoot of humanity.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love that from comments made by a character in the sequel Echopraxia, you can potentially take the view that the narrator of the first book isn't really Siri Keeton, it's an alien pretending to be Siri Keeton which is just a great twist.

Edit

Mega Comrade posted:

yeah, the big company I work for keeps making internal announcements about our amazing use of AI and mostly all it means is that our internet site has a chatbot so when a customer types "help me with X", it can respond "oh do you want help with X"

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 12, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once had the head of our company enthusiastically say that our new software would "not be limited to physical servers, which will one day be obsolete, instead it can run in the cloud"

and I wonder what my guy thinks the cloud is except a server you don't own? Like where do you think computing happens if not in a computer somewhere?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

That sounds incredibly daft. Both the resurrecting and the idea of a purely predatory offshoot of humanity.

Oh they hibernate periodically to let the human population recover. And the enhanced cross linking in their previsual cortex makes em vulnerable to simultaneous vertical and horizontal visual stimulation.

It's extremely daft, but also extremely bleak and depressing. And bits are just having fun with speculative neurobiology. It owns so much.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Novel by Peter Watts. All about neurophilosophy and weird alien sentiences. I have coerced maybe half a dozen people to read it because I never shut up about it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The vampires are a sticking point for a lot of people, yes.

This pair of posts really tickled me

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^^All the people I've introduced it to have been fine with the vampires! It's everyone else who doesn't like them.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I love that from comments made by a character in the sequel Echopraxia, you can potentially take the view that the narrator of the first book isn't really Siri Keeton, it's an alien pretending to be Siri Keeton which is just a great twist.

Which is neat, but also how much difference is there between An alien pretending to be Siri, and Siri pretending to be Siri?

(actually quite a lot of difference, Siri isn't as robotic as he thinks he is)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The vampires are probably going to be a sticking point for me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Aipsh posted:

:Edit: Keith Starmer is an AI tho

Bland Runner

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Josef bugman posted:

The vampires are probably going to be a sticking point for me.

The vampires are just a metaphor for the criticism of capitalism and the kind of people that rise to the top in capitalism. The bulk of the book is basically philosophy but not written in a way that makes you want to die of boredom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Philosophic writing is a rope, tied between boredom and incomprehension - a rope over an abyss. That's where the readers end up.

OwlFancier posted:

I once had the head of our company enthusiastically say that our new software would "not be limited to physical servers, which will one day be obsolete, instead it can run in the cloud"

and I wonder what my guy thinks the cloud is except a server you don't own? Like where do you think computing happens if not in a computer somewhere?
*gestures wildly* Google!

Although I suppose modern datacenter servers are so heavily virtualized nowadays that the x GB of RAM and y TB of disk space they say you get are as abstracted from an actual thing you can touch as a contactless card transaction is from a gold guinea or doubloon.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Elaborate presentations about the amazing efficiences and savings from doing things In The Cloud are hilarious at how well they avoid saying "lol you'll spend all that money you previously spent on a datacentre on paying amazon or whoever now, except you won't be their biggest customer so they won't care and you won't have a datacentre manager to shout at when it goes wrong"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He may be sort of right in that I am fairly sure we don't have a datacenter just some server racks in an office somewhere that someone had to go and switch back on when they crashed. So amazon is probably more reliable but that's more a testament to our terrible IT.

I have pointed out that the biggest problems I have as someone who has to use the IT system isn't the system itself, it's that they don't put any resources into using it properly and keeping things up to date, but they're still spending gently caress knows how much time and effort reinventing the wheel and making new systems that do the same thing the old systems did except incorporating the worst elements of mobile development brain and then they don't maintain those properly either.

Really think we should just put CEOs in a box somewhere where they can have Bold New Ideas away from anybody who might actually have to try and work with them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 12, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My favourite bit of twitter speculation about that Google chatbot conversation is that the database of sentences it's drawing from probably includes sci fi novels where a human attempts to perform the Turing Test on an AI

OwlFancier posted:

Really think we should just put CEOs in a box somewhere where they can have Bold New Ideas away from anybody who might actually have to try and work with them.

Naturally, the conversation about AI ends up landing squarely back on thread favourite topic, The Culture

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 13, 2022

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The more I hear abut AI, the more I hope people realize that it's going to be just as dumb and emotion driven by the parameters as we are. That what it learns and is given throughout its life by random input and poo poo that's beyond its control shapes it, much like us. Look at programs that run rampant on internet input, becoming horny and racist as gently caress. Perfectly logical beings are nonexistent, human or otherwise, and input equals output plus a dose of random poo poo.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 13, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

When asked about ideas to combat climate change, one of the things the Google bot suggested was reusable plastic bags. So this whole thing might be an elaborate Google/Facebook collaborative PR stunt, and the Google guy was just talking to :clegg:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The important question is, can artificial intelligence finally replace the art of forum posting? I think that we all need to make sure that there are people who like you, who can share and share it on social media, because it‍s the right way to communicate with everyone and to make sure that all people in our community, including the ones who are upset with you, feel safe and open to sharing it, because of that, and for those who like to post it, they should be aware that their opinions are just one example of the many people who want to share it, and we must share our beliefs and feelings with the world, for this reason. So that ‍s what the question of “@sarahsarahs arahsarahsarahsarahsarahsarahsarahs arahsarahsarahsarahsarahsarahsarah

sarahsarahsarahsarahsarahsarahs

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Human brains evolved to make models of the outside world. 'Consciousness' is just the model of the thing inside the model, introspection in a recursive loop. The model trying to model the thing that's doing the modelling.

I grow my own weed, it's great.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Unkempt posted:

Human brains evolved to make models of the outside world. 'Consciousness' is just the model of the thing inside the model, introspection in a recursive loop. The model trying to model the thing that's doing the modelling.

I grow my own weed, it's great.

:golfclap:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Miftan posted:

The vampires are just a metaphor for the criticism of capitalism and the kind of people that rise to the top in capitalism. The bulk of the book is basically philosophy but not written in a way that makes you want to die of boredom.

It's a really fun book and as you say, if you just view the vampires as an analogue of our capitalist masters you shouldn't find credulity too stretched, given there are a bunch of other transhumans running around too. It's also got some genuinely scary bits in it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Latest labour ad just popped up on Facebook. (On phone so can't share).
3 bullet points.

Can't help noticing the S word repeated 3 times.
Police state vibes.

I like the idea of supply chain security at least, to me it sounds like government intervention in the economy. Which I like as a rule.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I see Tony Blair has quietly been knighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Josef bugman posted:

It's a faintly puzzling thing to include, like if you write a novel about an exploration spaceship and all the engineering crew happen to be werewolves for some reason and the rest of the crew just kind of roll with it and it doesn't really impact the plot in any way.