Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
an unreliable goldwing? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right, I wasn’t going to have the argument with him about a brand new goldwing being unreliable and it somehow not being his fault.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish. I already had my helmet off and was on my way inside.

Was there a "No Danzigs Allowed" sign by the till

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

right, I wasn’t going to have the argument with him about a brand new goldwing being unreliable and it somehow not being his fault.

I've worked with this kind of user many times before and I feel really bad for the service techs that had to deal with him and his "unreliable honda".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They probably took it back to stop dealing with him

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They probably took it back to stop dealing with him

We did this several times with cars that had nothing wrong with them, when I worked at a branded dealer. Literally poo poo like 'the trip computer doesn't work how I'd like it to' and 'it makes a rattle when you deliberately drive along the edge of the lane hitting all the catseyes continually' just got more costly to deal with than just refunding their money, taking the depreciation hit and selling the car to someone less crazy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We did that once with a Buddy 50. Had one legit problem with it that we fixed under warranty but the lady reported constant problems starting it which never showed up at the shop. Sold it to someone else and it’s been in reliable service for a couple years now.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I mean on the one hand, it’s been 40+ years and any surviving Oldwings are of course going to have a rep for being hardy.

On the other hand, there are so loving many survivors. What a fuckup that guy must have been.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
SKULLS FROM THE SKULL STORE

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

:rip: Bikebandit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skull Store is the new bikebandit

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Adding to Skull chat I just picked up a DRZ400sm with these babies on them

The seller also had another bike for sale a Ninja ZX1000 so I bought both

...for a G each. This potentially is the best CL deal I've ever gotten

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stare: what?

You have to explain this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Two bikes sitting under tarps for 3 years unused. The CL ad was for the Suzuki, no pictures and very brief and I emailed within 20 minutes of it posting. The first guy to respond flaked out so he reached out to me and when I got there I saw the other bike and asked "what about that one?" bam sold. the kawi starts up no problem after hooking up a new battery. The drz turns over but hasn't fired up yet so that one I'm gonna have to actually do some work. I point blank said "You know this is a really good deal right?" but he just wanted them gone from the side of the apartment so I wasn't gonna press the issue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Congrats on your new stolen bikes

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

lol the vins are clean I checked!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Congrats on your new stolen bikes

Lol

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
To be a fly on the wall when his roommate comes home and finds his bikes sold out from under him.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Gonna be stressing til those titles come in the mail

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a shame your haven't got the NZ system where vehicle ownership changes because of a notification the buyer sends the government; the seller does nothing. In the case of a false change of ownership, it's on the seller to prove they didn't actually sell the vehicle lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Gonna be stressing til those titles come in the mail

Good luck because this sounds like one of those "too good to be true" kinda deals

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That's a good deal and I hope it works out. Huge skulls per dollar value. The difficulty if you ever sell them will be getting enough skulls in return to make the deal work.

Slavvy posted:

It's a shame your haven't got the NZ system where vehicle ownership changes because of a notification the buyer sends the government; the seller does nothing. In the case of a false change of ownership, it's on the seller to prove they didn't actually sell the vehicle lol

This is more or less how it works here. The buyer takes the title to the DMV and transfers the title and registers it (if necessary). The seller's responsibility ends at signing the title over, but it's very common for both sides to sign a bill of sale to get something on paper immediately. Then I think you're supposed to transfer title within two weeks but I've taken one in two years later and they didn't hassle me. Don't write down the sale date on the title until you need to.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
This transitions perfectly to my evening today. I am currently trying to sell 2 bikes on CL myself, fully aware of the horrors that await. Lowballs, no shows, and the plenty of replies that are: I'm interested text Joe at #phonenumber. But I don't think I've heard anything like this yet. I have a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 (XJ650) I've owned for a couple years, put around 1,000 miles on it and a 2006 Suzuki Katana 750 that I bought used in 2006, but I had some really bad hip problems over the last few years (I've had 2 full replacements and I just turned 39 last week) and I haven't really been able to ride and my bikes pretty much sat and were neglected and now they don't really run. I've taken them both on little rides that were problematic with engine dying and limping them home and that was the last time I rode either of them probably like a year ago. Anyway I'm fully transparent in the CL ads I've listed the Katana at $1,000USD and the Yamaha at $800USD fully expecting to take less for each.

I had this kid all fired up for the Yamaha. Great communication, I give him a ton of detail on it, he's excited. Wants to see it tonight around 7-8pm. Ok. By 8:15 no call, no show kind of what I expected. Then, he emails again he expects to be at my place around 8:45 or so. He actually shows up, younger kid, early 20's with his dad. I can tell from the dad right away they had no intention of buying this bike at all. He's pointing out every little flaw on it, that has been fully outlined in the CL ad and with the kid via email. He explains the kid is a first time rider who doesn't even have a permit yet and is more looking for a daily rider that is ready to go. Like what the gently caress? I don't think I've actually heard of CL deals where the person shows up, kicks tires, DOES NOT make an offer at all, and then just leaves at 9pm on a Friday night. Maybe I'm just new to the CL game but I feel like this was a weird one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goondolences, can't help you with people's baffling behavior but I would shoot over and clean those carbs out for you so you can get some real money for the bikes, if I could.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I sold a bike on the local CL variant yesterday. Placed the very honest and forthcoming ad on monday, had a single potential buyer contacting me on tuesday, we were able to meet friday when she showed up, paid my asking price and took the bike away after an instant smartphone money transfer - the deal took all of three minutes or so. Granted, it was my daughter's outgrown 20" bicycle and I wanted €40 for it but still it was a good experience.

When I bought my moto from a private seller it was a more frustrating experience but once we agreed on a price it was smooth. Here you can transfer titles electronically using the owner's title papers, your driver's licences and a smartphone app. You still need to wait for your own title to arrive in the mail but you know for sure that you legally own the vehicle immediately which is nice.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Got both bikes running today but there are two issues:
1) The Ninja 1000 does not respond after 1/4 throttle. The rpm's don't rise at all. I get an FI code of 32 which is like stuck butterflies or something so boohoo I have to take the tank and airbox off to figure that out.
2) The DRZ's carb boots do not make me confident that they are seated correctly and that's just annoying.
In any case still pumped with the deal and the cops haven't knocked on my door yet. My anxiety says it's a clever way for someone to get their non-running bikes running again; Just sell them to someone that will fix them and then report them stolen after they're fixed. whatever I got plates and registration for them and requisite burnouts:
https://streamable.com/04hzbg
https://streamable.com/7c4lmz

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Moving to a new apartment building and now I have to pay $80/month to park my bike. So now 60% of my ongoing costs of ownership is in parking. Ugh.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

T Zero posted:

Moving to a new apartment building and now I have to pay $80/month to park my bike. So now 60% of my ongoing costs of ownership is in parking. Ugh.

Is it covered atleast or are you paying $80 a month for a spot

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
It's a garage spot, and the overall apartment rent is much lower than my current place, so I'm still saving money on balance. But I'm annoyed I'm paying for a whole-rear end car spot.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ride it into your living room in protest.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Fill the spot with more bikes.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

T Zero posted:

I'm annoyed I'm paying for a whole-rear end car spot.

Rent portions of your spot to other motorcyclists who are mad about paying for a whole-rear end car spot themselves, everybody wins!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
New-to-me bike had a missing choke knob, got tired enough of using pliers to open/close the choke, ordered a replacement from FortNine which claimed "Guaranteed Fit!" with a nice green checkmark.

After removing the knob-less OEM choke cable, turns out the replacement is at least 1" too long.

I opted not to reinstall the broken one, so now my choke hangs limp and crooked off the side of my bike :geoduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was guaranteed to fit, and it fit.

Wait you meant fit properly??

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

It was guaranteed to fit, and it fit.

It actually does function 100% correctly! :buddy:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

It's a garage spot, and the overall apartment rent is much lower than my current place, so I'm still saving money on balance. But I'm annoyed I'm paying for a whole-rear end car spot.

Buy a van and put the bike in the van.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

RadioPassive posted:

Did this with my $50/mo carport, would recommend. You know how the property management doesn't let you leave poo poo laying around in it when you're gone for the day? A second bike becomes a garage to store your first bike's cover & lock! You can't afford not to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

RadioPassive posted:

There's a guy in my garage with 5 now so yes do this