Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

what you need is a podcast that records onto tape. more pleasing frequency response and roll-off

I respect the hell out of old methods, but in TYOOL 2022, literally hundreds of plugins will do this for you.

And Mister Speaker, if I was employed as an audio engineer and not a public servant as a day job, I'd be hiring.

I guess "by trade" meant "I studied, got a diploma with honours, worked in the industry, and then got a full time govt job, and do audio stuff on the side once in a while". But you never forget the fundamentals.

In August, a friend of mine is giving me a bunch of old recordings that she's tasked me with digitizing and cleaning up, and I can't wait :allears:

I'd say sorry for the derail, but a) it's wholesome audio talk, which is always good, and b) the main topic is Jordan loving Peterson, so...

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I respect the hell out of old methods, but in TYOOL 2022, literally hundreds of plugins will do this for you.

I think it's an ear thing, but i reckon a plug-in is only as good as the operator using it. Most digital attempts sound like pitiful facsimiles. Some nail it for sure, but you know what costs the same as a plug-in and is idiotproof (as regards tape sound)? A tascam cassette 4-track. BRING UM BACK.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

what you need is a podcast that records onto tape. more pleasing frequency response and roll-off

the saturation really warms up the fascism.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

the saturation really warms up the fascism.

lol forgot this was the jor-pee thread. easy solution is not to listen to his poo poo. i just like the idea of something as disposable as a podcast being recorded on tape

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

easy solution is not to listen to his poo poo.

drat that's brain poo poo

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

drat that's brain poo poo

i should write a low effort self help book or two

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And Mister Speaker, if I was employed as an audio engineer and not a public servant as a day job, I'd be hiring.

I guess "by trade" meant "I studied, got a diploma with honours, worked in the industry, and then got a full time govt job, and do audio stuff on the side once in a while". But you never forget the fundamentals.

Respek. I'm in a similar situation (two diplomas in Music Industry Arts/Audio Post-Production), but I've been working in the hospitality industry for more than a decade and I'm finally trying to break back out. That means I'm currently trying to get some work with staging companies and IATSE, and hopefully start climbing the ladder to a position behind a console. I started working for IA58 last week, great pay and everyone is eager to teach, but definitely the physicality of it takes some getting used to after late nights tending bar or working security. Also I either caught COVID again, or I have a really bad case of bronchitis. Right when I was getting back to work. :(

You really don't ever forget the fundamentals - it's weird how I can barely remember most of high school, but even though I haven't stayed in practice all of the recording/mixing/editing theory is still fresh in my mind, on the rare occasion I fire up my DAW and pretend to write it all comes right back, and I still love talking about it. Makes sense that it's stuff I actually cared about learning.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I think it's an ear thing, but i reckon a plug-in is only as good as the operator using it. Most digital attempts sound like pitiful facsimiles.

I mean, a tape machine is also only as good as the person running it. I don't want to get all Steve Albini here, but people who actually know how to use a tape machine, even a simple two-track, are exceedingly rare these days. Loads of hipster producers keep one around for 'warmth' but would be hard pressed to tell you exactly how tape saturation works, "it just sounds better lol," well I could have done the same thing with an instance of iZoTope Trash that didn't cost me $1800. That attitude re: analog modelling plugins is on its way out; some of the tape sims these days are really really good.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Anyway, I have shut off podcasts and youtube videos because the makers couldn't be bothered about audio quality. Is there something about audio compression or bit rates that seem to amplify sibilance, or is that just me and my tinnitus?

Everything in the chain is important, from having someone who knows how to talk (making them wear headphones can help), mic placement to the source (you mentioned having to use your mics 'off axis', rather than pointed direct; extremely close proximity also has the effect of emphasizing the bass in a source), mic placement in the room (that room sounds like a nightmare of standing waves and reverb), mic selection (the SM7B and EV RE20 are the most common radio DJ mics but there is no 'best mic'), a quality preamp, and then a chain of EQ and dynamics.

It sounds like you might know this already, but when we talk about 'compression' in audio we're not necessarily talking about digital space-saving compression, we're talking about reducing the dynamic range (loudness gradient) of a signal. Yes, a compressor set wrong can absolutely exacerbate sibilance and plosives and other unpleasant things. But for radio voice (think the way Howard Stern sounds, or your favourite dinosaur classic rock radio DJ), it's pretty easy to dial in as long as you have the right tool. IIRC, those settings are usually surprisingly aggressive, hence my use of the term "slammed." Fast attack, medium release, medium-high ratio and low threshold; that GR meter should almost be pinned when you're talking. Sometimes DJs/announcers prefer even harder compression in their headphones than what's going out to the program, because it helps them hear the subtlety of their voice more easily. De-Essing is a thing that's wonderful for reducing excessively sibilant voices.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 11, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1535630696408133634

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The irony of the second part not even remotely applying to him...

Christ, what a full-time goober.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

he's got another fun one today:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1535768824099774465

lmao, he's STILL whining about how the ladyfolk didn't take too kindly to his completely harmless comments about them not being "real" women until they give in to their biological destiny and start birthing them babies

AND IT'S NOT EVEN A NEW VIDEO HE'S COMPLAINING ABOUT. IT'S THE SAME VIDEO FROM MONTHS AGO! :lol:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr Interweb posted:

lmao, he's STILL whining about how the ladyfolk didn't take too kindly to his completely harmless comments about them not being "real" women until they give in to their biological destiny and start birthing them babies

AND IT'S NOT EVEN A NEW VIDEO HE'S COMPLAINING ABOUT. IT'S THE SAME VIDEO FROM MONTHS AGO! :lol:

Lmao, please go into the comments of the video he linked and read some examples of what he considers to be "incomprehensibly toxic". He is such a whiny baby.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmao, please go into the comments of the video he linked and read some examples of what he considers to be "incomprehensibly toxic". He is such a whiny baby.

exactly. most of the comments disagreeing with him are polite as can be, with the exception of a small few that are clearly annoyed/offended, but even they aren't saying anything any sentient person would consider "toxic"

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
"women have no value outside of reproduction"

"Wow now the woke libs are cancelling me because I showed support for motherhood"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Is this fuckstick's 15 minutes up yet?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Not even close.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Not even bloody close.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Not even bloody, *sniffle*, cl, *uncontrollable weeping*, bloody, close.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Harald posted:

Welp just leveled up after watching 10 hours of Doctor Jordan Peterson. Can't decide whether to put these new skill points into Agreeableness or Extraversion. My Neuroticism is
already maxxed out.

I really wish I didn't buy this game in early access.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'm serious though, because someone has to be the psychotherapist APPARENTLY.

Don't try to make him kill himself, because it seems one sick burn too many...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Harald posted:

Welp just leveled up after watching 10 hours of Doctor Jordan Peterson. Can't decide whether to put these new skill points into Agreeableness or Extraversion. My Neuroticism is
already maxxed out.

This Disco Elysium spinoff is kinda dire

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
my pod go hard
we be weepin
fat models, hot tears, daughter creepin

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

lol that the paragon of masculinity is actually the stereotypical "intellectual" who folds the second someone from the real world calls them a doo doo eater.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Fattest PI posted:

"women have no value outside of reproduction"

"Wow now the woke libs are cancelling me because I showed support for motherhood"

hey that's unfair

they also need to be fuckable, and woe betide the person who considers a woman attractive that jorp does not

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

lol that the paragon of masculinity is actually the stereotypical "intellectual" who folds the second someone from the real world calls them a doo doo eater.

*whining and holding back tears*

Let me be very clear, I have not eaten the poo. And furthermore

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Everything in the chain is... :words:

Just wanted pop in to say I appreciated this post. 

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This seems weird.

https://twitter.com/danaturalleague/status/1537186307113361408?s=20&t=vVkcd0-KUUZ2h61m67JBEA

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It does seem to be cruel and unusual punishment. Still, I'm morbidly curious about what kind of community service instructional video that simpering little twit could've been involved with.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I keep seeing jorp disciples using the term "femsplaining" I suppose in direct response to the devastatingly offensive term "mansplaining". These guys are so loving stupid and uncreative

"Ma'amsplaining" was RIGHT THERE.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1537481429726031872

he's getting more and more unhinged by the day

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

jordan... shut da fuk up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nobody tell jordan that trans people can also be gay adults

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drat thats worse than court mandate AA where they make you turn in to a christian

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

nobody tell jordan that trans people can also be gay adults

He has a youtube channel and academic qualifications. I think he knows more about the subject than you do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fuctifino posted:

He has a youtube channel and academic qualifications. I think he knows more about the subject than you do.

He also specializes in addiction and became deeply addicted lmao

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
This guy really needs to talk to an actual brain help doctor, he's coming off as pretty close to the edge here.

The one truism remains, the internet makes you stupid.

Log off before you do something really, really stupid(er) Jorp.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
don't push me cuz i'm close to the bloody edge

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

kntfkr posted:

don't push me cuz i'm close to the bloody edge

Don't push me cuz I poo poo in my pants

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm trying not to lose my keys uh huh uh huh

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

uh huh huh huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
JP boner status update

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1537553423016632322