Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

Well since he likes playing fetch definitely do that more. He probably is board and you just need to find the right activity to stimulate him.

https://youtu.be/SMPjoNg3nv8

This is a pretty decent watch imo

One of my cats will play fetch for hours if we let her lol

Tamu style Cat Spring Toys (60... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD9CMZ8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’d recommend trying these out as a fetch toy. Ours loves them because they are easy to pick up and they give a good bounce.

Unfortunately he'll only play fetch for about 3-4 throws. But those springs look like they might be fun for bit.

I'll have to watch that video too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Unfortunately he'll only play fetch for about 3-4 throws. But those springs look like they might be fun for bit.

I'll have to watch that video too.

Yeah try different things to throw. My little one only likes certain things and will give up after a few throws if she doesn’t like the item.

If she likes the thing it’s non stop running while her sister sits there and watches.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I bought a pack of maybe 20 of those springs at the grocery store. She loves them and will play all by herself without me throwing them or anything.

And by "play" I mean "immediately get them stuck under the fridge again right after I pulled them all out"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

I bought a pack of maybe 20 of those springs at the grocery store. She loves them and will play all by herself without me throwing them or anything.

And by "play" I mean "immediately get them stuck under the fridge again right after I pulled them all out"

Thank you for the reminder to get the springs out from under the couch for Quill.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If he's slowing down it's because he's growing up, not because he's bored. Bored cats roam around the house looking to cause trouble, they don't just hang out. It's pretty normal for an adult cat to just play a little bit and then stop playing and hang out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He's only 10 months old tho that's still pretty young.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I think “Da Bird” toy is a good go-to for interactive toys. And yeah, I recommend switching out toys every so often just to keep things fresh (and maybe make them smell different?). My boy likes wool, fur and kicker toys so I’ll switch stuff in and out but keep the same type if toys around.

I adopted my cat at (probably) around 10 months and he slowed down a LOT within the first few months I got him. He went from keeping me up with zoomies and meows every night to being a nice quiet cuddle-bug.

Kitten food is higher calorie. Idk when to switch them over… I fed my cat adult food as soon as I got him (that’s what the shelter gave me!) but other things say to make the switch at 12 months. It’s probably ok to at least start transitioning? I feed mine wet 2 times a day a total of like 230 calories/day (he’s 11.5lbs). That just happens to work for my cat but he doesn’t really beg for food; I feed him a little when I wake up, play with him, then give him the rest of his breakfast and do the same routine when I get home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Da Bird toys are the only ones my cats go crazy for, even as fully grown chill adults. I have to be super careful about leaving them anywhere a cat can get them because they'll instantly get the tail chewed off.

2" tinsel balls/pom poms are well loved by one of ours. I pull the tinsel out though, don't want her swallowing it.

A kick stick is pretty cute to watch them play with too but it doesn't get a ton of use.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

drunken officeparty posted:

Amazon sells little inserts you can stick under your fridge to block the gap. Not sure if that's bad for the fridge though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fridge won't care.

We lay the broom on the floor to cover the gap.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We have a little basket out with random toys in it that we collect over the years and it still always makes me laugh when one of our cats pulls out the most random thing that we haven't seen in ages because it's been in that basket. Leela pulled out a ~6 inch stuffed shark from the bottom of this thing that I haven't seen in years and walked around the house the other night mrrowing with it in her mouth. I only found it because I stepped on it the next morning and was like "what the hell?"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The three cats we got a home for last week are doing great in the new home. Took over a floor of the adopter's house, and two of the three buddied up with the existing cat immediately. I always like getting good news with these guys.

Now I just have to figure out what my boy's deal is and why he doesn't seem to love me any more.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

eating only apples posted:

I pushed for two but the landlord would not allow it. Doing our best with what we have.

I'm supposed to pay my landlord for every pet I adopt but I haven't told them about the cat in 3 months and nothing has happened.

When I was still living with my dad, my dad's ex had like 8 cats in the apartment and I don't know if the landlord didn't find out or just didn't care.

Unless you've got some slumlord who enters the apartment by surprise I don't think you need to tell them your business.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Depends if you think your landlord is looking for a reason to evict you and charge three times the rent to the next person.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I just put a collar on my cat and he hates it, he's trying so hard to take it off with this teeth. It also has a little bell attached, and he gets confused thinking there's a toy somewhere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

I just put a collar on my cat and he hates it, he's trying so hard to take it off with this teeth. It also has a little bell attached, and he gets confused thinking there's a toy somewhere.

Depending on what you have the collar on there for, and the cat, you might be able to get away with a cat onesie. Quill had one when she was post-spay. If she really wanted to bite at the sutures it would not have helped but it stopped her licking at it - your mileage may vary:

https://i.imgur.com/4pjBp22.mp4

She was absolutely disconsolate, had a hyper reaction to the anesthetic, was freaking out peeing in her carrier and had ripped the cone off by the time we got home with absolutely no chance we'd be able to get it back on her. This was literally our only option, I had gone to walmart and spent 30 bucks at midnight on baby onesies to try to get that to work (it didn't), nightmare.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 14, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pretty sure OP is talking about a normal collar. Cat will get used to it! Take the bell off though, they're pointless and can potentially damage their hearing.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

“Just put a collar on” sounds kinda like too long ago. Cats will cat, but they can sometimes get used to stuff too after a while. Wait a bit, and praise her when she walks in the room with the collar on (Boudica’s favorite seems to be “pretty girl!”, along with simultaneous scritches. Why did you need to collar him? Why the bell?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Otteration posted:

Why did you need to collar him? Why the bell?

I'm thinking of putting a name tag and (if I want to do so much) a gps tracker.

The bell isn't that useful yeah, maybe to hear him in the dark.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

I'm thinking of putting a name tag and (if I want to do so much) a gps tracker.

The bell isn't that useful yeah, maybe to hear him in the dark.

If you put a bell on, you apparently care about mice (lol).I’m not up on the new fangled poop. What’s the advantage of a gps tracker over a chip?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Otteration posted:

If you put a bell on, you apparently care about mice (lol).I’m not up on the new fangled poop. What’s the advantage of a gps tracker over a chip?

The collar is to warn birds, not mice. I'll give another shout out to the cat clown collar that is designed to be seen by birds, it doesn't have a bell but it's effective.

For the GPS tracker, presumably it allows you to find out where the cat is at any given time.

The most important thing about a cat collar is that it should pop off if it catches on something. Else it might strangle your cat! But that also means you need to double dip with something like a chip or tattoo for identification.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bells don't actually do anything to stop cats catching anything. They can creep forward without it jingling in range to pounce. Source: my childhood cat. They're totally pointless, take them off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d advocate just not letting them outside :shrug:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't let my cats outside and one of them has a collar because if she does get outside it would be good for people to get her back to me quickly. The other one doesn't because any time she's escaped she's lost it instantly and she's terrified of people anyway :shrug:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I’d advocate just not letting them outside :shrug:

Yep. Good that the op wants to save birds, but indoor cats statistically live longer and kill less wildlife.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't let my cats outside and one of them has a collar because if she does get outside it would be good for people to get her back to me quickly. The other one doesn't because any time she's escaped she's lost it instantly and she's terrified of people anyway :shrug:

I don’t what chips cost atm, but chip them. Most folks and vets know about chips. After my cat showed up and got injured, the first thing I asked for was a scan. She came up negative.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

They are chipped, but it's much quicker for someone to look at a collar on my friendly cat than decide to take the cat to the vet to look for a chip.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

They are chipped, but it's much quicker for someone to look at a collar on my friendly cat than decide to take the cat to the vet to look for a chip.

Cool. Try the collar for awhile.to see if it to works or not. It should, eventually. Keep him inside if you can. That too will work out, eventually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My cat has a breakaway(!) collar with a bell on it because I kept losing him and accidentally stepping on him because I had no idea where he was. It also has his name, my phone number, his microchip number, and his rabies vax badge in case he gets lost outside. I don’t want to lose him.

I give him breaks from it now and then, but I like knowing that he’s here.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My cat HATES wearing a bell but is fine with just a collar. My roommate’s cat could not be convinced to wear a collar at all.

I also vote for removing the bell.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I had a cool tag engraved with a QR code that when scanned would pop up information and offer a phone call to my number. After a few weeks I realised it was useless to try and keep a collar on Katya since she's not supposed to leave the enclosed backyard and is chipped. Ymmv.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My cats refuse to wear collars of any sort. Instead, I got them chipped and they are 100% inside cats.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, just wanted to give you all an update on how things went with Jackie - I took her in to the vet last night because about a week and a half ago I noticed that she had started to constantly smack her lips/lick her lips and swallow fairly hard every 30 seconds or so. I thought this might be the result of stomach issues, especially since she'd been eating more grass than normal (and puking it back up of course) lately, though a certain amount of that is normal. There wasn't much of anything else wrong with her, but it was strange enough behavior that it got me concerned. She was also due for a rabies/distemper shot, so it made sense to bring her in for that, too.

So we took her in last night, and our vet examined her and did the usual stuff. Turned out that Jackie's gums were inflamed and probably infected, and the vet felt that this discomfort was probably why she'd been doing so much lip-smacking. I hadn't even thought of that, though I probably should have. So Jackie got a shot of antibiotics along with her rabies/distemper dose (and a quick mani-pedi) and she was on her way

I was cuddling with her this morning, and noticed to my delight that for the first time in nearly 2 weeks she has been doing no lip-smacking or licking whatsoever, so I'm feeling quite happy overall with how things went.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hooray for Jackie!

Diana the Adventure Cat is nearly a year old, and she is bored bored bored. She has a laser pointer, multiple floor toys, her best frenemy Byakko, and birds to yell at through the window. However, she rampages the house looking for something new and exciting. When a new package comes to the house, it is the highlight of her day. She spends a fair amount of time jumping up on shelves and knocking things off to watch them fall.

Can somebody suggest cat toys she might enjoy? Her vet has warned us off things with feathers because Diana is a bite-and-chew player, and feathers upset the digestive system. She has the ball-in-a-track toy, the only one she has never tired of.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hooray for Jackie!

Diana the Adventure Cat is nearly a year old, and she is bored bored bored. She has a laser pointer, multiple floor toys, her best frenemy Byakko, and birds to yell at through the window. However, she rampages the house looking for something new and exciting. When a new package comes to the house, it is the highlight of her day. She spends a fair amount of time jumping up on shelves and knocking things off to watch them fall.

Can somebody suggest cat toys she might enjoy? Her vet has warned us off things with feathers because Diana is a bite-and-chew player, and feathers upset the digestive system. She has the ball-in-a-track toy, the only one she has never tired of.

Go by Petco and get pack of these: https://www.chewy.com/frisco-colorf...2xoCxSkQAvD_BwE

Diana will lose her mind over these.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I already own those, I am sad to say. (and yes, she does.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Invite a friend over and introduce her to someone new to either occupy or terrify her.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

kw0134 posted:

It can be tough to say, does he also poop outside the box? When you clean up the puddle do you also use enzyme cleaner to fully remove it? One of the problems with elimination outside normal areas is that cats are sort of hardwired to go to the same places that smells like them, so if you're just wiping it down then there may be a hindbrain ping going on that says "oh I peed here before, lemme do it again."

xzzy posted:

Growing up we had a male cat that picked a random corner of the carpet to pee on. No health issues, was the only cat around. He decided one day that this was his piss spot and that was the end of it. Took my mom months to break the habit, she cleaned the carpet with whatever pet stain remover was available in the early 90's and kept garbage bags over that area as a deterrent. Eventually he stopped peeing there and it was never an issue again for as long as he was alive (another 10 years).

I'm not sure if it met the criteria for spraying, but it is a thing that male cats are more likely to do so that's what the vet assumed it was.

After I cleaned the last spot we had a week of calm but today I think he peed in the kitchen while I was in there (but back turned). He's totally fine otherwise, not lethargic, still drinking water and eating his food, a combo of wet and dry. There is a third cat that moved in about six months after getting these two and there is the occasional conflict. Wondering if that could be it, except that the pee is not really smelly for the most part. At least not in that marking-territory way. Maybe it's just a weird phase? I'll try to get him seen by a vet if it keeps going for another week or two.

Oh also he's polydactyl! That probably doesn't matter but figured I should mention it.

Boy in question (Dita):

His brother, Barry:

They still sleep/groom/and play together:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I bought an omega 3 supplement for my cats since the one has incredibly dry skin. Can I put it down her face with an eye dropper or do I have to mix it with food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

After I cleaned the last spot we had a week of calm but today I think he peed in the kitchen while I was in there (but back turned). He's totally fine otherwise, not lethargic, still drinking water and eating his food, a combo of wet and dry. There is a third cat that moved in about six months after getting these two and there is the occasional conflict. Wondering if that could be it, except that the pee is not really smelly for the most part. At least not in that marking-territory way. Maybe it's just a weird phase? I'll try to get him seen by a vet if it keeps going for another week or two.

Oh also he's polydactyl! That probably doesn't matter but figured I should mention it.

Boy in question (Dita):

His brother, Barry:

They still sleep/groom/and play together:

It absolutely could be stress or territorial even if it doesn't stink to you, because cats have much stronger olfactory sensors. But it could also be health related like a bladder control problem. If you're taking him to the vet then we should wait until what they say, though the answer is probably inconclusive. Keep cleaning and see.