Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Robobot posted:

The hamster emits a powerful anti-super power field. Doesn't affect temp V because the Russians didn't know about it yet. It's super obvious.

I prefer this version of Jamie's reason of beingin the boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

I might be wrong about how muteism works (let me know), but I don't think this is a situation where the writers deserve props for disability representation.

Legally, a severe enough mental illness can be considered a disability. If someone's traumatic response has developed to the point where they're having to use sign language to cope then we're just splitting hairs here.

I, personally, wouldn't be happy if she "conquered" her disability and had some sort of generic Hollywood happy ending -- but I can see that some other goons might not be happy unless she did eventually speak. There's no "winning" here, because there's just not enough representation to make everyone happy.

:shrug: Not a problem that we're gonna solve here, I think.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Or maybe she hasn't spoken in so long the muscles that control it are all weak and atrophied? Can that happen?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
she's got black bolt voice and will explode everyone if she talks

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Or maybe she hasn't spoken in so long the muscles that control it are all weak and atrophied? Can that happen?

Not a doctor or anything but complete muteness sounds less plausible. Atrophy might weaken your voice but those muscles are otherwise also used for breathing and swallowing so I can’t see it making you completely physically mute just by not talking.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I really hope A-Train dies a horrible, gruesome, agonizing death for what he did. There's no redemption after that. I was pretty sure Supersonic was playing Starlight because no one in this show can be that...nice.

I really hope Hughie The Obvious V Addict doesn't end up accidentally killing or horribly maiming Starlight trying to have 'Supe Sex' without telling her beforehand what he's done because 'it's a surprise.'"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I kind of want her to speak at some point, but mostly because we had that spot at the beginning of the season where she imagined herself singing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I hope Frenchie dies and not her and I don't really have a position on wether or not she speaks because I don't know enough mute people to guess what would be a better ending for what is, we all must admit, a rather common and tacky plotline of being mute in response to trauma

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really hope A-Train dies a horrible, gruesome, agonizing death for what he did. There's no redemption after that. I was pretty sure Supersonic was playing Starlight because no one in this show can be that...nice.

I really hope Hughie The Obvious V Addict doesn't end up accidentally killing or horribly maiming Starlight trying to have 'Supe Sex' without telling her beforehand what he's done because 'it's a surprise.'"
I was surprised that Homelander said A-Train sold them out, not because thematically I can’t imagine him doing something like that to stay relevant in the Seven, rather because the show has taken some deliberate steps to humanise him - his treatment by Stormfront, the scenes with his brother and issues in his neighbourhood, etc. i genuinely thought they were redeeming him with the audience.

Some people have suggested that Homelander lied about A-Train selling them out, and that he just heard the elevator conversation anyway, but I think that’s a stretch. I mean it’s possible but I don’t know what the play would be beyond sowing division in the Seven.

Him betraying Starlight is a setback and I’m not sure it can easily be recovered given it directly led to the death of Supersonic and imperilled her even more. A-Train is culpable for whatever happens next.

On the other hand maybe it’s just appropriate that the character isn’t going on some redemptive journey in the show, and ultimately is at his core a bastard who will do whatever it takes to stay in the Seven.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Durzel posted:

Him betraying Starlight is a setback and I’m not sure it can easily be recovered given it directly led to the death of Supersonic and imperilled her even more. A-Train is culpable for whatever happens next.

Would that part of it really be a setback for her? I don't think she would have ever confided in A-Train in the first place, it was just that idiot Supersonic who barely knew him and decided to bring him into their plan.

She really should have told him to run these ideas by her first.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

TIP posted:

Would that part of it really be a setback for her? I don't think she would have ever confided in A-Train in the first place, it was just that idiot Supersonic who barely knew him and decided to bring him into their plan.

She really should have told him to run these ideas by her first.
No, sorry, perhaps I was unclear. I meant a setback for him, in terms of the redemptive arc that I had presumed the show was taking us/him down. His behaviour is certainly consistent in Starlight’s eyes.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Durzel posted:

No, sorry, perhaps I was unclear. I meant a setback for him, in terms of the redemptive arc that I had presumed the show was taking us/him down. His behaviour is certainly consistent in Starlight’s eyes.

reading back I think the misunderstanding is all on me, what you wrote was clear I just need to go to bed

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing is if Homelander lied about A-train selling them out it would be hard for the show to address that since its difficult in a filmed narrative to show something conclusively did not happen offscreen. I mean maybe but it’s not a massive game changing twist so the simpler thing is to just run with it and assume he’s telling the truth.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It would be lazy to walk that back, homelander has no reason to lie, Starlight doesn't know that A-train knows, only the audience does.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Durzel posted:

Some people have suggested that Homelander lied about A-Train selling them out, and that he just heard the elevator conversation anyway, but I think that’s a stretch. I mean it’s possible but I don’t know what the play would be beyond sowing division in the Seven.

It would put a stick in the wheels of Starlight building a conspiracy against him, if she at least thought A-Train betrayed them. Though I could also see that cleared up the moment she next gets a chance to talk to him, unless from here on she's paralyzed by fear and basically acts like the perfect doll Homelander wants her to be.

I feel like A-Train hasn't really started a redemptive arc yet. He's still only interested by how anything affects him. Even the racism angle is just him looking for a way to gain some prestige back. He's just starting to hate Homelander more and more.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
This might have been answered already, but was there any mention in the show about the effects of temp-V on supes?

(thinking X-Men MGH)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Not only can it happen, it has happened. There was a guy in China who murdered his wife's uncle and to hide from the police, faked a new identity as a mute beggar. He did this for 12 years, during which time he remarried - but of course, his new wife knew him as a mute and so he couldn't speak at home either. When he was finally caught in 2017, he found that he really could no longer speak.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
None of Kimiko’s muscles are weak or atrophied, but if she’s never spoken out loud before, or at least not in 20 years, wouldn’t she sound like a deaf person when they try to speak? Like she has no idea what her voice sounds like, she wouldn’t just start speaking in full sentences or clearly enunciate things.

But also even the most cursory research is showing me that “mute” is an out-dated term that you shouldn’t use any more and many prefer “non-verbal” or simply “non-speaking” in clinical or professional settings

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think we'll find out A-Train viewed his actions as sacrificing Supersonic to Homelander in exchange for the grace to go confront Blue Eye or whoever for his brother, but of course Homelander won't have viewed things that way.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's possible that Homelander coerced a confession out of A-train somehow. Maybe while fearing for his life in yet another bullying confrontation A-train used it to distract Homelander and get away.

That said, A-train is a sell out. For example, he exploits important social issues to further his career. Maybe there's a part of him that genuinely wants to help solve police brutality and racism too, but he'll shed some tears about social justice and then immediately film a seriously problematic and condescending commercial. It makes perfect sense that he'd sell out the guy who stopped him from getting himself killed just to get in good with Homelander.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's possible that Homelander coerced a confession out of A-train somehow. Maybe while fearing for his life in yet another bullying confrontation A-train used it to distract Homelander and get away.

That said, A-train is a sell out. For example, he exploits important social issues to further his career. Maybe there's a part of him that genuinely wants to help solve police brutality and racism too, but he'll shed some tears about social justice and then immediately film a seriously problematic and condescending commercial. It makes perfect sense that he'd sell out the guy who stopped him from getting himself killed just to get in good with Homelander.
He straight up admits, "I'm Michael Jordan, not Malcolm X". He's very much a celebrity athlete that isn't about to rock the boat too hard, especially now with his heart problems.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I just realized how I'd love to see a medical procedural type show about a doctor specializing in Supes. Invincible touched on this with a badly wounded supe that would keep transforming into and out of her 'monster' form when they tried to operate on her.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Panfilo posted:

He straight up admits, "I'm Michael Jordan, not Malcolm X". He's very much a celebrity athlete that isn't about to rock the boat too hard, especially now with his heart problems.

"gently caress them kids" - our boy Michael.

Now THAT'D be a fun little reference.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I bet Ashley would peg the hell out of whoever decided to put Soldier Boy's return in every trailer and season synopses. I felt like that really undercut the investigation of the first few episodes and the reveal scene.

Avicus posted:

This might have been answered already, but was there any mention in the show about the effects of temp-V on supes?

No. I am wondering if Butcher jumpstarts Kimiko's powers with it to save her life though.

It does seem like they were pushing the "one more job and we are out!" trope pretty hard however.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Avasculous posted:

I bet Ashley would peg the hell out of whoever decided to put Soldier Boy's return in every trailer and season synopses. I felt like that really undercut the investigation of the first few episodes and the reveal scene.

No. I am wondering if Butcher jumpstarts Kimiko's powers with it to save her life though.

It does seem like they were pushing the "one more job and we are out!" trope pretty hard however.

honestly it feels like they're pushing it too hard, there's no way they're going to play it straight. It'd just be too basic at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nuebot posted:

honestly it feels like they're pushing it too hard, there's no way they're going to play it straight. It'd just be too basic at this point.

I think it's more of a "there's always one last job" thing. Frenchie and Kimiko being coerced into staying by Butcher's force of will is also a valid plot line.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Part of it might be avoiding collateral damage too, knowing Butcher left on his own will care way less about people a little in the way, where everyone else tries to avoid unnecessary damage or killing

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
There was a tweet a couple days ago that had a bunch of the actors holding up four fingers for season 4. Like, "we're all coming back for 4". Kimiko was there but Frenchie wasn't. I'm worried that the dance number is like a "goodbye" thing where he's sacrificed himself via blood transfusion or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Durzel posted:

I was surprised that Homelander said A-Train sold them out, not because thematically I can’t imagine him doing something like that to stay relevant in the Seven, rather because the show has taken some deliberate steps to humanise him - his treatment by Stormfront, the scenes with his brother and issues in his neighbourhood, etc. i genuinely thought they were redeeming him with the audience.

The scenes with his brother and neighborhood aren't redeeming. They're showing that he doesn't actually give a poo poo about others, he just wants to be adored for having done something about them. They telegraphed him not being a true ally to the resistance movement, it's why only dead dingus who was the most naive about this resistance tried to involve A-Train, after he was humiliated by Homelander who sided with Deep. A-Train doesn't really want to bring down Homelander, he wants to be the one getting to be the asskisser getting favoured treatment.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I think that some time passed between involving A-Train and Supersonic's death, and it's 100% possible that we get some more scenes, maybe in a flashback or something, where they aren't careful enough what they say and Homelander overhears.

It wouldn't be untrue to A-Train's character to betray them, but I'm leery of basing that on anything but Homelander's word.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Khanstant posted:

The scenes with his brother and neighborhood aren't redeeming. They're showing that he doesn't actually give a poo poo about others, he just wants to be adored for having done something about them. They telegraphed him not being a true ally to the resistance movement, it's why only dead dingus who was the most naive about this resistance tried to involve A-Train, after he was humiliated by Homelander who sided with Deep. A-Train doesn't really want to bring down Homelander, he wants to be the one getting to be the asskisser getting favoured treatment.
Yeah, that's a fair point. I would wonder why would they bother to reinforce that A-Train isn't in it for anything but celebrity, when the audience could assume that anyway? He did bring up the guy who kerb stomped the neighbour in the meeting though, with (apparently) a genuine intent to try and get the Seven to do something about it. Perhaps that was for glory too, but I didn't get that vibe.

I guess my point is that there have been several scenes where they have done something with A-Train that - I would suggest - shows that he is at least having conversations about him being able to do good as a supe without having to run. Even if he's still saying that he's not that guy ("I"m Michael Jordan, not Malcolm X") he seems at least conflicted about it, or the show is taking him down that path for a reason. If it's just to continually reinforce that he's the same character as he was at the start of the show - what's the point of wasting screen time on this at all?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Durzel posted:

Yeah, that's a fair point. I would wonder why would they bother to reinforce that A-Train isn't in it for anything but celebrity, when the audience could assume that anyway? ...If it's just to continually reinforce that he's the same character as he was at the start of the show - what's the point of wasting screen time on this at all?

Comedy, mixed in with a dash of tragedy (with a bit more tragedy, in A-Train's case).

We do keep wasting time on the Deep, after all--a static character that occasionally flirts with the idea of change... But never has the conviction or maturity to follow through.

Plus, it adds a little X-factor to things, having guys who are neither firmly good nor firmly evil. Such folks tend to be really helpful for advancing the plot in exciting ways.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Would be pretty funny if A-Train and the Deep find out how far along the plan to kill Homelander is, realize the writing is on the wall, and release the video and denounce Homelander themselves, becoming the most popular heroes in the world while leaving all the actual hard work of defeating him to Maeve, Starlight and the Boys.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat the severity of Homelander’s action really just hit me hard, like he murdered Annie’s high school sweetie pie, her first love. It almost transcends comic book villainy, or takes it to a new level

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fionordequester posted:

Comedy, mixed in with a dash of tragedy (with a bit more tragedy, in A-Train's case).

We do keep wasting time on the Deep, after all--a static character that occasionally flirts with the idea of change... But never has the conviction or maturity to follow through.

Plus, it adds a little X-factor to things, having guys who are neither firmly good nor firmly evil. Such folks tend to be really helpful for advancing the plot in exciting ways.

Based on the Deep's fate in the comics, it does kind of fit though.

Having him around as the pathetic dupe falling for whatever bullshit is slung his way that strokes his ego is kind of fun though. Dude is just so dumb and easily manipulated.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

There was a tweet a couple days ago that had a bunch of the actors holding up four fingers for season 4. Like, "we're all coming back for 4". Kimiko was there but Frenchie wasn't. I'm worried that the dance number is like a "goodbye" thing where he's sacrificed himself via blood transfusion or something.

Frenchie injects the V then gives her a blood transfusion so her powers are restored and she's healed. Frenchie dies but lives on as a ghost/halluciantion that only she can see. Ironically, she and Frenchie can now talk freely but no one else can hear them.

Luckily the writers are way too good to do something like this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

Frenchie injects the V then gives her a blood transfusion so her powers are restored and she's healed. Frenchie dies but lives on as a ghost/halluciantion that only she can see. Ironically, she and Frenchie can now talk freely but no one else can hear them.

Luckily the writers are way too good to do something like this.

God I'm sick of head characters

They had one on Star Trek Discovery that the doctors magically gave a body to.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

seaborgium posted:

Based on the Deep's fate in the comics, it does kind of fit though.

Having him around as the pathetic dupe falling for whatever bullshit is slung his way that strokes his ego is kind of fun though. Dude is just so dumb and easily manipulated.

Homelander's bafflement and The Deep's beaming pride that he actually said something helpful was adorable.

I am curious on what's going on with his wife though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Would be pretty funny if A-Train and the Deep find out how far along the plan to kill Homelander is, realize the writing is on the wall, and release the video and denounce Homelander themselves, becoming the most popular heroes in the world while leaving all the actual hard work of defeating him to Maeve, Starlight and the Boys.

Homelander would vaporize them instantly

Whoever releases that video is going to be the first victim

Avasculous posted:

She's a psycho who is probably still loyal to the Church and is manipulating Deep to make him look good so she can get in deeper with Vought

I don't trust anyone who claims to have left the Church of t he Collective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Avasculous posted:

I'm betting it has something to do with the defunct cult she was in. I mean, she was hand-picked for Deep by Alistair Ron Hubbard and she clearly doesn't love him, he's just an "in" to The Seven.

My guess? The "Church of the Collective" can see the writing on the wall with Homelander about to go nuts and they're trying to position themselves as "useful idiots" in lieu of "slaves to the Supers."

Getting in on the ground floor, as it were.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 13, 2022