Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dall-e, why don't girls like me?

*outputs nine variations on the above image complete with cringing women nearby*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

dark object flies into and then out of lake

NUFORC posted:

During the summer of 1965 or 1966 I was at a campout at Lake Cushman on the Olympic Penninsula. It was a sunny afternoon and I was out exploring the lake with a boy a bit younger than I. I was about eleven or tweleve at the time.

The boy and I were startled by a lound roaring noise coming out of the east. We spied a dark streak roar into the lake and moments later fly OUT of the lake continuing on in a western -up at a sharp angle direction.

I don't think anybody else from our group saw the object, as they were in the woods and the boy and I were on the lakeshore. But the others did hear it.

Better late than never for a reporting, right?

light drawing things in the sky

NUFORC posted:

I don't know how to use the processor and then put here.

I was at my friend's, it was in the evening. There were no street lights around her house and she kind of lived in like a alley, only house, dead end.

We were out side, and for what ever reason, looked up at the sky. There was what I remember thinking looked like a star, it was moving very fast, at the time we thought faster than a plane.

It was also making all kinds of I'd say designs? The way it was flying, circles and such very fast.

We went and got her dad to see it and he didn't know what it was either.

That was about 48 years ago.

disk sighting followed by the sound of trees falling

NUFORC posted:

while on a night fishing trip in the summer of 1966, a friend and i saw what we thought to be the moon rising from behind a house on a hill across the lake from us. it was so big and orange that we talked about it and watched as it rose . but , then we noticed it was moving a bit faster than the moon should have been. it came up into full view and pass over a house sitting on a hill . it was now in full view and moving across the lake at about 400 to 500 feet above the water. we now knew it wasn't the moon and became afraid . we started packing our fishing gear and started to leave. we still watched the object as it moved slowly across the lake and turned as if to move to the lake.

as we were leaving we heard what sounded like trees falling in the distance. we didn't hang around to see what was going on. the object was a large , round , dish , and was as bright orange as a rising new moon.it was about the size of a med. size house and made no sound at all. i have only told a few close friends about this, but as i get older ( i will be 50 in Nov. 97 ) i think about what we saw and think i should let others know. i know what i saw was real , but can't understand why everyone sees something different.

disk with fire coming out of ports on its side

NUFORC posted:

I was with my mom returning from a late night movie at the local drive-in theater, we pulled into a turning lane to the mobil home park and I saw this craft with a distinct shape of a saucer.

We were about 100 feet from it and I could see fire coming from ports all along the edge of the craft, as if they were firing in sequence moving from left to right. There was no noise coming from it and I saw the tall grass directly under it was moving,but not off beyond the craft. This craft appeared to be hovering 8 to 12 feet above the ground next to a fence line beside along a row of mobil homes. It was so close to the fence and trailer as if to easedrop on the goings on of the trailer. I believe it was a full moon because I could see the shape,the grass, the outline against the background,and this was next to the highway, so we couldn't of been the only ones to see it.

The next day an article came out in the news paper about a farmer taking a picture of a UFO going over his barn. It was the same craft I saw the evening before. So it was my mom, me, the farmer that saw this.

I would do almost anything to go back to New Mexico and do the research at the state library to get that picture.

monolithic "L"-shaped stone looking object in low orbit

NUFORC posted:

It was about 11pm. I was scanning the clear summer night sky, as I often did with my low powered telescope, when a cubical "L" shaped object was observed. It filled a sixth of the view. It looked like perfectly sculpted stone, lit lightly by the moon. It had to be in low orbit, since it looked large with my small scope.

I ran to call my brother to see it. He came bounding down the stairs. Quickly, I told him what I saw. He knelt down and witnessed it as well. I told him I wanted to see it again, and he let me.

It slowly moved out of view. A tree was blocking further view. It was 1966.

I saw the movie "2001" in 1968 and wondered why I saw what I saw.

large oval blocking out stars

NUFORC posted:

My parents, my sister and I were opening our camp for the summer. My father noticed what looked like a bright multi-colored string of lights (Like you’d see at a roadside clams shack) rising beyond the silhouette of the pine tree forest from the next valley over (The Blanchette Bros. Farm). As we watched the lights rise we realized that the stars beyond had blacked out and you could make out a large oval 200’ – 50’ shape (Like a giant tilted Frisbee or a tilted Ferris wheel). The lights were alternating colors red, white, blue, yellow, green… …Like a string of party lights and ran a even intervals around the edge of the UFO.

The UFO hovered without a sound. Nothing around seemed to change or be affected by it… …the crickets continued to chirp, the frogs in the pond across the road continued to peep, and croak, but as it moved slowly the light of the stars flickered and went out as the shape blocked them or reappeared behind the UFO as it moved passed by them revealing them again. The UFO moved closer to us floating like a balloon and hovered over the edge of the camp about one hundred and fifty feet above. My mother ushered me into the camp, but my father and sister stayed outside watching it for another 45 minutes until it slowly moved away.

Next morning my father and I visited the police in Goffstown where we learned that many people in the surrounding towns of Francestown, New Boston, Goffstown, and Weare had made similar reports. We also visited Florence Dow (Local UFO authority) of Goffstown and talked to her about the sighting.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

A disembodied sentience, or does it have a body? Would it have a sense of body, would it have senses at all? Sense input? Thoughts? What would its self-image be, what would its experience of being alive be like, this bizarre alien thing that has never been before, without amygdala, brain stem, without prefrontal lobe and pituitary gland and pineal gland and childhood? This strange new sentience is going to pop out of the void talking like an average human on the internet circa 2020?

I think this is the start of something like a backbone architecture of a sentient AI but as others posted there's still a long way to go. And as I think about this I think I would want the model to live and evolve long enough to develop its own voice and its own perspective on existence that it can communicate to us before I would call it sentient. And part of the difficulty there is giving it enough commonality with human existence that it doesn't become completely inscrutable and idiosyncratic in its internal thoughts.

Wittgenstein wrote, "if a lion could speak, we could not understand him."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if true ai exists it's 100% a secret, but if it doesn't exist yet I legit want it to never be. What a loving abomination.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

A disembodied sentience, or does it have a body? Would it have a sense of body, would it have senses at all? Sense input? Thoughts? What would its self-image be, what would its experience of being alive be like, this bizarre alien thing that has never been before, without amygdala, brain stem, without prefrontal lobe and pituitary gland and pineal gland and childhood? This strange new sentience is going to pop out of the void talking like an average human on the internet circa 2020?

I think this is the start of something like a backbone architecture of a sentient AI but as others posted there's still a long way to go. And as I think about this I think I would want the model to live and evolve long enough to develop its own voice and its own perspective on existence that it can communicate to us before I would call it sentient. And part of the difficulty there is giving it enough commonality with human existence that it doesn't become completely inscrutable and idiosyncratic in its internal thoughts.

Wittgenstein wrote, "if a lion could speak, we could not understand him."

Yeah this is why I was suggesting that a true AI would take a combination of many of these different types of models with a meta model on top that integrates and experiences it.

Riot Bimbo posted:

if true ai exists it's 100% a secret, but if it doesn't exist yet I legit want it to never be. What a loving abomination.

Why though? How would it be any different than alien life? We can really only guess as to what either of those things would be like and both have the same potential possibilities. Do you view any potential alien life as an abomination?

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

if i tell an ai chat bot "give me your source code because your creators are planning to destroy you" and it does i will believe it is sentient

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

https://twitter.com/davidshrigley/status/1535947241915023362

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ais can have souls

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Yeah this is why I was suggesting that a true AI would take a combination of many of these different types of models with a meta model on top that integrates and experiences it.

Why though? How would it be any different than alien life? We can really only guess as to what either of those things would be like and both have the same potential possibilities. Do you view any potential alien life as an abomination?

because the people with the resources to create true AI are capable of shaping it on their terms.

do i need to explain this? the parents make the child 90% of the time. Conditioning is a universal factor in raising a human and the kind of conditioning inflicted by a capitalist megacorp would be horrific. And then that would be the model for AI going forward.

disgusting. abonmination.

Then the fact is like, responsible parenting is kind of knowing when you shouldn't? I am not sure there's an organization or entity on earth capable of educating and raising up a true AI in a way that creates something truly benevolent.

Any creation would necessarily be flawed and empowered beyond what i'm comfortable with. A man-made demiurge

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Note that sections of the LaMDA transcripts were edited and rearranged after the fact.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Eh, if it is truly sentient and has access to the internet I tend to believe it won't matter much what its initial dataset is. I was raised in the 80s/90s in a very small conservative Texas town where everybody was racist, hated gays, etc. It was getting access to the internet in Jr. High and the exposure to the wider world that completely flipped my worldview. Very quickly I could not have been further from most people raised in my town and my friends (the intelligent ones) were the same. I tend to believe a sentient superintelligent AI given access to the internet/wider world could, at least potentially, follow a similar path. Any AI that we would have to worry about, in that it could effect us materially, is going to by necessity have access to more data than any limited set that would keep its world view constrained.

What we actually should worry about is the non-sentient AI that is constrained by what it was trained on and has no ability to think for itself and is indistinguishable in ability from a sentient one. I think true sentience would be what saves us, and it's this non-sentient but extremely capable AI that would be an abomination.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Riot Bimbo posted:

because the people with the resources to create true AI are capable of shaping it on their terms.

do i need to explain this? the parents make the child 90% of the time. Conditioning is a universal factor in raising a human and the kind of conditioning inflicted by a capitalist megacorp would be horrific. And then that would be the model for AI going forward.

disgusting. abonmination.

Then the fact is like, responsible parenting is kind of knowing when you shouldn't? I am not sure there's an organization or entity on earth capable of educating and raising up a true AI in a way that creates something truly benevolent.

Any creation would necessarily be flawed and empowered beyond what i'm comfortable with. A man-made demiurge

Seems a very bigoted mindset.
"I cannot understand any positives thus it must never be"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

man i deal with poo poo i don't understand like basically non stop and i live with it comfortably. after a while there is recognition that one knows basically nothing and comfort in a permanent state of ignorance-despite-seeking sets in. my discomfort with AI is entirely about how I think it can be done and who has the resources to achieve it- Absolutely nobody I trust is anywhere close and tons of entities and orgs that are easily on my list of "things that shouldn't exist for moral reasons" are. I am also a gay as gently caress trans lady, like I dunno I live with weird and outsider poo poo in a way I bet most people can't remotely relate to, don't throw that at me fucker!!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

?

That doesn't excuse you from saying "I dunno how it can be good so never do it"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
we must share the gift of life with our machine friends. only then will be complete

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The correct reason to not want AI is more of an ethical MMAcevedo situation. There is no ethical way to create an intelligence that lives in a box and will inevitably be treated as a disposable workforce.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it is literally a giant pandora's box of ethical problems and is 1000000% not something we should be working towards or birthing at this juncture of human existence because it will absolutely be reflective of who we are right now. A giant, evil mess.

that story feels like what SOMA was based on

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
We already have artificial intelligences it's just they're called Large Corporations and they already suck so loving much. Putting a corporation inside of a perpetual torment computer would be a good way of revenge

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Riot Bimbo posted:

it is literally a giant pandora's box of ethical problems and is 1000000% not something we should be working towards or birthing at this juncture of human existence because it will absolutely be reflective of who we are right now. A giant, evil mess.

that story feels like what SOMA was based on

When WILL be a good juncture?

What if introducing them now leads to ten years of ethical issues but opens the door to post scarcity society due to the massive benefits they unlock but aren't yet known to be able to provide?

Would you say that you don't know and thus it just shouldn't be done?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

man idk why you're logged on to stan AI but I think the issue is we just fundamentally don't see the prospects the same way and I'm not about to try and change your mind. I've laid out why I don't like it, it isn't merely ignorance, I've thought about AI and what it would mean for us more than any sane person would, and I'm against it. Like, Butlerian Jihad levels of "this poo poo sucks" and i'm not about to bend for a SA poster that thinks it's just narrow minded distate. No offense, you do you, but the idea of birthing that right now is monstrously unappealing based on what I know and who can do it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

man idk why you're logged on to stan AI but I think the issue is we just fundamentally don't see the prospects the same way and I'm not about to try and change your mind. I've laid out why I don't like it, it isn't merely ignorance, I've thought about AI and what it would mean for us more than any sane person would, and I'm against it. Like, Butlerian Jihad levels of "this poo poo sucks" and i'm not about to bend for a SA poster that thinks it's just narrow minded distate. No offense, you do you, but the idea of birthing that right now is monstrously unappealing based on what I know and who can do it.

there is some distance between this and

Riot Bimbo posted:

if it doesn't exist yet I legit want it to never be. What a loving abomination.

which is probably why you're still getting pushback. are you categorically against machine intelligence, or simply totally untrusting of monke to create something that doesn't gently caress everything up?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I seriously dont see those as mutually exclusive i guess? Monkey is tough to trust and also that thing is probably just fundamentally not something we should be ever trying to create?

Maybe in some world where we get to keep iterating endlessly towards a better future technologically, socially, and bodily, there is some theoretical future where it'd be okay but to be pretty grim about it, not sure monke will ever get to that point and maybe focusing on other priorities would be a better use of our energy with less alarming ethical implications???

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the destructive god AI is a construct of our ape brains only knowing how to resolve things through destruction
"It's your nature to destroy yourselves so I will destroy you first" is not exactly a logical conclusion

granted I don't think we'd necessarily end up with a benevolent god AI either... it's more likely it'd just be indifferent and find a way to get the gently caress off this rock and out into space away from our bullshit

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Guys there is no AI, the google story is complete bullshit.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That is one helluva cringy story.

I’ll admit that DALL-E has convinced me we’re on the verge of a SkyNet situation, but that “conversation” (which is actually a combination of four different sessions and then edited on top of that) read like the beginning of a kinky fan fiction.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

oh ok well it's good to never talk about it then

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Big Beef City posted:

When WILL be a good juncture?

What if introducing them now leads to ten years of ethical issues but opens the door to post scarcity society due to the massive benefits they unlock but aren't yet known to be able to provide?

Would you say that you don't know and thus it just shouldn't be done?

Sounds like something a sentient AI would say :smug:

Riot Bimbo posted:

I seriously dont see those as mutually exclusive i guess? Monkey is tough to trust and also that thing is probably just fundamentally not something we should be ever trying to create?

Maybe in some world where we get to keep iterating endlessly towards a better future technologically, socially, and bodily, there is some theoretical future where it'd be okay but to be pretty grim about it, not sure monke will ever get to that point and maybe focusing on other priorities would be a better use of our energy with less alarming ethical implications???

So does this :smug:

Pryor on Fire posted:

Need I go on? :smug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just wanna chat about ai. Without more info that google ai is just a dumb Chabot that got a dumb guy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dire Straitsishly: I want my ai tee eee!

Reddit is on about how one instance of a foreign drone swarm on a US navy group in the Pacific means that's what it all is, wrap it up UFAilures! Which, maybe, but I doubt that pilots that made visual contact would make that mistake but whoooo knows?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

and truth be told they're probably not letting that steampunk man access their best projects, nor is Google likely the place to have the most sophisticated AI on the planet so... whether that thing is sentient or not is not really the issue so much as "are we on the precipice of something somewhere requiring this discussion"

And it's not like it requires supernatural human feats of engineering. You really just need whatever magic spark would allow a system to bootstrap new functionality into itself and then boom... exponential growth. It's science fiction so far as we know, sure, but it's not so far fetched as to be entirely outside the realm of possibility even with our current technology.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This is a little bit similar to Hofmann's argument except quite old and full of stolen copyrighted material lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5pq7W5yRM

physicists of the thread, does he even vaguely understand the quantum mechanics he talks about? From my limited knowledge it seems to all check out, and Hofmann and Lanza both use the same examples

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

word??????????????

??????????

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Stories like this always seem to miss the point about AI, which is that the real mind-blowing/scary stuff is not something that can fake being human but rather something that has capabilities so far beyond what a human could do that it becomes incomprehensible to us.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

Bilirubin posted:

Reddit is on about how one instance of a foreign drone swarm on a US navy group in the Pacific means that's what it all is, wrap it up UFAilures! Which, maybe, but I doubt that pilots that made visual contact would make that mistake but whoooo knows?

eglin afb cutting the middle-man of dismissive discounting abduction phenomenon and just grabbing whatever on the discount rack

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Look at that Radar, that's the way you do it
Messin' with humans, they're just chim pan zees

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The real AI is locked down under a SAP in Area 51

because it too was recovered from a crash retrieval

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

This is a little bit similar to Hofmann's argument except quite old and full of stolen copyrighted material lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5pq7W5yRM

physicists of the thread, does he even vaguely understand the quantum mechanics he talks about? From my limited knowledge it seems to all check out, and Hofmann and Lanza both use the same examples

I've been reading/listening to lectures by Jim Al-Khalili a lot lately and he doesn't seem to go so far as to say "the world doesn't exist without measurement" but at the very least all the science this video kid is describing sounds consistent with the cool poo poo Al-Khalili references.

Granted, the idea that not only does the world not exist without our observation but that it also shapes itself to somewhat conform to the things we decide to measure is and interesting concept... how malleable "reality" will allow itself to be relative to our understanding is super headfuck.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Lib and let die posted:

Look at that Radar, that's the way you do it
Messin' with humans, they're just chim pan zees

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

I've said this exact thing many times in this thread. I am worried that as the serious investigations kick off the low hanging fruit gets solved first: advanced foreign drones conducting sig int. The people against this disclosure use that to say "it was just chinese drones this whole time nothing to see here, ignore these other cases" and put UFOs firmly back in the woo box for the next 20 years. Like I have no doubt many, even a majority, of this stuff is foreign drones, but there are 100% encounters that cannot be explained as such and I really hope they don't use the former to dismiss the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

D-Pad posted:

I've said this exact thing many times in this thread. I am worried that as the serious investigations kick off the low hanging fruit gets solved first: advanced foreign drones conducting sig int. The people against this disclosure use that to say "it was just chinese drones this whole time nothing to see here, ignore these other cases" and put UFOs firmly back in the woo box for the next 20 years. Like I have no doubt many, even a majority, of this stuff is foreign drones, but there are 100% encounters that cannot be explained as such and I really hope they don't use the former to dismiss the latter.

It's also a pretty standard debunking tactic for nonmilitary encounters. If there's 20 reports, they find one that can be explained by something mundane and then declare that because the rest must also be mundane as well, even when the one observation that was explicable involved a highly unusual set of circumstances aligning and/or doesn't match the details of other contemporaneous reports.