Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sol is a god in the material sense. He's an incredibly powerful being around which a religion was formed. He can penetrate people's minds, coerce them telepathically, and perform miracles and fulfil prophecies (within the pre-defined understanding of what those miracles and prophecies should be). He operates in means beyond human comprehension. He, to all intents and purposes, fulfils the definition of a god, because they're the being who wrote the definition in the first place. (A "self-fulfilling prophecy", if you will.)

He's not a god in the sense that he transcends material science, sure. But to all intents and purposes, he's a loving god.

Explain milksnek using real world science.

No, as far as the series is concerned, he's a purely sociological phenomena derived from the limited & biased brains of humans. Sol isn't a character in the show. The human characters were hallucinating or being affected by some electromagnetic signal that made them psychotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No actually Sol was talking to them

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
just lmbo if people itt really believe Sol is a real thing and not just a dumb superstition by the theists in the show

I forget how much religion gets in the way of actually enjoying poo poo irl

also,

Filthy Hans posted:

even the religious people in the show (mostly) figure out they've been hoodwinked by the end of season 2

:laffo:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the writers have specifically stated that Sol is at the center of the planet

honestly have no idea how you managed to watch both seasons and think Sol isn't a real thing. i guess lucius just magically knew to steal the helmet artifact and do that whole ritual with marcus

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sol is real in the sense that there is something talking to people and having influencing them.

"What's the difference between god and an alien?"

Probably lots Paul, you little shithead.

His mother was so disappointed in him for asking such a dumb question that she turned herself into a tree and got deep-throated by a space snake. Kid's gonna need a lot of therapy.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

CODChimera posted:

honestly have no idea how you managed to watch both seasons and think Sol isn't a real thing. i guess lucius just magically knew to steal the helmet artifact and do that whole ritual with marcus

yea something is making them psychotic

prob the instability of the planet's core or some poo poo that causes the aggressive EM field is radiating their brains

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

yea something is making them psychotic
something named Sol

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Sol is the supercomputer that controlled the Old Civilization's society gained sentience and run amok. It's headquartered in the center of the planet for the unlimited energy source from the planet's core. Captain Picard could beam down to the core and shut it all down with simple LOGIC and REASONING, but these primitive Earth humans/androids are not so sophisticated so we got all these problems.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

lynch_69 posted:

Sol is the supercomputer that controlled the Old Civilization's society gained sentience and run amok. It's headquartered in the center of the planet for the unlimited energy source from the planet's core. Captain Picard could beam down to the core and shut it all down with simple LOGIC and REASONING, but these primitive Earth humans/androids are not so sophisticated so we got all these problems.

ok so the giant ball of fire and death (the core) is actually a supercomputer?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

You know how Nvidia GPU's these days run super hot? Same thing on a bigger scale

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The actual quantum supercomputer AI has been the coolest part of the show, and I wish they had more of it for longer lol. Maybe they'll reconnect it?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

sol is real and will bring back this show. these non-believers are tests we must overcome to prove ourselves to him. praise sol.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Unless Grandmother is full of poo poo. That is the story she told. There is no evidence to prove otherwise, and all the actual evidence we have been shown by the show says she is telling the truth. If it is otherwise then...we will never know. So it is as good as the truth.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CODChimera posted:

Yeah it's baffling, to be honest

There is something who talks into people's heads and makes them see stuff and that's probably the same something who sent a message to earth with Keplers location and info about it and the droid tech, which is also something that happened and it also wanst just people being crazy because necromancers do exist and the planet was there and full of stuff like the temples that matches the revelation they got from "Sol". These are all facts within the story

The question is what Sol is, not if it really exists. It does

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
prove sol exists and saying the writers say so, no more makes it true than the writers of any holy text. give me a timestamp where sol exists with no other possible explanation.

besides, thomas' are important it's up to jesus to let him touch the holes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Khanstant posted:

prove sol exists and saying the writers say so, no more makes it true than the writers of any holy text. give me a timestamp where sol exists with no other possible explanation.

besides, thomas' are important it's up to jesus to let him touch the holes

raised by wolves is holy text? agreed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yes and also yes the show is more religious allegory & myth than scifi or anything like that

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

It uses the giant ball of fire and death as an energy source

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Miss Mowcher posted:

It uses the giant ball of fire and death as an energy source

Pretty crazy that we never saw it when they went through the core!

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Sol being just a result of the people hallucinating makes zero sense in the context of the show. Sol seems to be manipulative and scheming, with motives at odds with the people being manipulated. How would someone hallucinate a cure to a disease using local wildlife that they're unfamiliar with? A bunch of random hallucinations that coincidentally ended up with a woman turning herself into a tree and getting eaten by a flying serpent? Sol wanted that seed planted, he asked Sue to do it.

quote:

just lmbo if people itt really believe Sol is a real thing and not just a dumb superstition by the theists in the show

This makes no sense at all. Even Sue, an atheist, heard Sol. I'm not sure how you can watch the show and think Sol is just the characters going crazy. Nothing about the show would make sense in that telling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She heard something and bleieved it to be sol, and given how present sol is on her mind and how intertwined her life is with it, and just everything going on, of course anything she thinks she hears or does hears will be sol in that moment. she's breaking down, she broke. hardly the first person at the end of their rope to turn to some metaphysical entity for comfort, punishment, or semblance of order and meaning.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I'm starting to believe Sol is real outside the show and has sent your unfortunately confident / media illiterate dumbassery to test me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think that poster is doing a bit where they pretend to be an obnoxious atheist who doesn't understand the concept of fiction, but I can't quite figure out what's supposed to be funny or cutting about it so I'm not entirely sure. Maybe something about the absurdity of dogmatic atheism? In any case what they're saying is pretty clearly disconnected from the show.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
How would she have just hallucinated the one thing that could cure Paul? Why would her broken brain tell her to plant the seed, a seed that she didn't even know existed? A seed that just so happens to power up the serpent, that also was the result of manipulating an android?

The characters just going crazy would make the show extremely unbelievable and nonsensical, as weird as that sounds. It's quite clear they're being manipulated for an end goal, and we didn't know the how or why yet in the show.

Edit: Yeah this has to be trolling. I'm the dumb one here.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Khanstant posted:

She heard something and bleieved it to be sol

Yeah, exactly.

And thats something IS Sol, whatever Sol is. Is the same something who spoke to Marcus and others, the same something that sent a message to earth starting the Sol religion and containing the specs for the necromancers and telling them to go to Kepler-22b and so on

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In this moment I'm euphoric
Not because of Sol's phoney blessings
But because I'm high as kite on android milk

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
somebody's bappin' for a baptism if you know what i mean.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Sorry, no baps on this show. It's probably why HBO canceled it

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sol is real, and strong, and my friend

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Sol is real, and strong, and my friend

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, exactly.

And thats something IS Sol, whatever Sol is. Is the same something who spoke to Marcus and others, the same something that sent a message to earth starting the Sol religion and containing the specs for the necromancers and telling them to go to Kepler-22b and so on

go carry someone around on a throne you gullible rear end solgoob

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sol is real he says i dont have to walk i am too tired

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

My faith in Sol will be cemented by a third season, otherwise I fear my belief will waver.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Crimson posted:

The characters just going crazy would make the show extremely unbelievable and nonsensical,

Could you imagine this show being nonsensical? I know I can't.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wolves raised me, Sol made me (into a tree)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my mama didn't raise no tree

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

my mama didn't raise no tree

My tree mama didn’t raise no snake

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm not trolling, Sol doesn't exist and is a bunch of bullshit. Folie a deux happens all the time. I mean look at Qanon.

I'm sorry you're not well-versed enough to realize how ignorant or desperate said characters are to depend on a magic sky daddy. Everything so far has had a scientific explanation.

Keep getting emotionally angry and posting about it though -- that always helps!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

I'm starting to believe Sol is real outside the show and has sent your unfortunately confident / media illiterate dumbassery to test me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

i know isn't it so cute that he's all mad and hurt because his sky daddy is a hoax and he fell for it?!