Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Magnetic North posted:

Just finished the second case in that same Unlock box [snip]

I think I liked this box more overall than you, but I agree that getting accidentally spoiled due to a bad bit of math seems to happen constantly with these games. Curious to hear your thoughts on the third puzzle - for me it had some really high highs but also some low lows (and a final puzzle that we couldn't get to work even knowing exactly what the answer was and how it works).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Azran posted:

Can't play with a single character so solo is two characters at the very minimum

Oh. Haven’t even glanced at the rules yet, been trying to get everything back in the box after punching and bagging everything.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My Republic of Rome story is that i unleashed a plague which decimated all but me and one other player. We quickly consolidated our rule by exiling the few survivors. Then i threw away victory somehow, i can't quite remember.
Now, that may be within ten years. I will not depress myself by thinking back to find out.

Radioactive Toy posted:

...it probably wasn't smart to play our learning game starting after 9pm.

It's not a short game, so even with everyone knowing the rules i wouldn't start at 9. But it sounds like you enjoyed it!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Fate Accomplice posted:

I played Alchemists for the first and hopefully only time yesterday after owning it for years.

Cumbersome deduction mechanism, bland worker placement, required app usage, no thanks.

Your loss! It's kind of a hit for my current board game group, but I don't entirely disagree with your beefs. The deduction element isn't cumbersome IMO but it is dense and required and if your gaming group doesn't "get" logic deduction puzzles, they are going to have a very bad time. It's like, a worker placement game with a sudoku in it and you have to be able to logic that out or the game is just going to fall instantly flat. It's definitely a niche game IMO, I, and my current gaming group just happen to be the right group for it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Glagha posted:

Your loss! It's kind of a hit for my current board game group, but I don't entirely disagree with your beefs. The deduction element isn't cumbersome IMO but it is dense and required and if your gaming group doesn't "get" logic deduction puzzles, they are going to have a very bad time. It's like, a worker placement game with a sudoku in it and you have to be able to logic that out or the game is just going to fall instantly flat. It's definitely a niche game IMO, I, and my current gaming group just happen to be the right group for it.

We certainly “got” it, and correctly figured out all 8 ingredients, and ended up with an exact tie at first.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I really hated the alchemists, but I had a very poor experience.

Somewhere somewhat early on I made a mistake recording; put the little disc in the wrong spot, and didn't realize it until about halfway through, and didn't know which, so literally all of my research was invalidated and useless.

It felt kind of thematic! But also really unpleasant and meant I didn't really get to play the deductive part.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks if people feel that the prob for spoilers was not deserved, I’ll talk with Leperflesh about it. The whole point of me being an IK is for me to prob as appropriate, ie I know the hobby and the games.

So let me know. Here or PM.

I don’t know if it’s going to do any good but I’ll let them know how it came across.

Of course any mod can probe, but if they don't know the hobby/games they shouldn't probe just because they think it's a spoiler.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Alchemists is great and there's a lot of hidden depth to it. You don't know true fear until you've decided to sell a potion to last-minute figure out what an ingredient is the same round you're publishing. That said, the base game gets samey pretty fast. Always play on Master difficulty, and add the expansions if you have access to them.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I liked Alchemists for the simple fact that it caused me and all my PhD labmates to laugh about how it emulated academia, down to one person at the table trying to make assumptions about other people's test results and rushing to publish first.

It is also a pretty good game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks if people feel that the prob for spoilers was not deserved, I’ll talk with Leperflesh about it. The whole point of me being an IK is for me to prob as appropriate, ie I know the hobby and the games.

I don’t know if it’s going to do any good but I’ll let them know how it came across.

Of course any mod can probe, but if they don't know the hobby/games they shouldn't probe just because they think it's a spoiler.

i accept you're apology

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

3-4 is the sweet spot, especially if you're going to have the Borg in it.

Exploration is fun, warp to a planet, pull it off the shuffled stack and draw a card, unless you draw an anomaly or whatever. Planets can be placed anywhere in proportion to the planet you warped from, they're joined by like, little bridges that are warp tunnels or whatever, I don't know. Once two of these tunnels or bridges join your planet it cannot be moved around. So there's a little bit of a "base building" component to this - players have to "build" the galaxy towards you and you can't gently caress around or with other players until contact is made. Home planets must be 18 inches apart from one another so, you cant just build on the corner of a table, but this also means that more players means more table space is needed. Like way more. God so much more.

So you explore and draw planets, usually the exploration cards require a roll, everything in the cards is a screenshot of good quality from the shows and movies, it's all very excellent, high quality stuff. Adding to your empire is done in a variety of ways and some factions are better than others, but conquest, special card fiat and cultural dominance are the big ones. Some exploration cards can actually kill the planet you're on like the crystalline entity.

You can build lots of ships but it costs an action to move a ship or a fleet, so you group into fleets, everyone has three fleets with varying numbers in said fleets, with said purposes - except for the Klingons which is just "many ships, kill you" which makes sensse. Laying down colonies and placing starbases too is a thing you're doing a lot, too. There's also no real limit on how much sit you can build outside of minis, and there are minis expansions. They are of poo poo quality, popped out of molds with chunks of sprue and shite still on them so I wouldn't bother, just grab some free stls on thingiverse and find someone with a 3D printer (t. person who bought literally everything for the game). The minis in the box are fine, they...are board game quality, nothing amazing but it's very obvious by ship profile and color which is which, and they all look like they're supposed to.

The federation fights defensively and had advantages to doing the cultural conquest, the Romulans start with stealth tech and just dip out of battles they don't like, Klingons are pure aggression, they can build bigger fleets and always do damage on a 6 result, so you just, eh, swarm.
The expansions are all excellent, but I haven't been able to get the Andorians or Vulcans on the table yet. Ferengi play exactly how you think they would, you can set up trades with other players which gives you a set amount of resources each, but ferengi always get a little more, and Ferengi can buy victory points, which nobody else can. They also get free resources go being in orbit (but not attacking) other rival planets, so basically, you go the peacemaker route, and both of you get rich(but you get richer, heh heh heh heh) The Cardassians start with more actions and most of their technology is based around invading planets, sneaking ships behind enemy lines and generally doing cardie poo poo, and as I said I haven't played with the Vulks or Andorians yet.

This all sounds pretty awesome, but also a lot like eclipse. not sure I could justify owning both!

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 13, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Ty. It was only a 6 hour probe so nothing serious but it's still dumb since nothing I said was a spoiler. I don't want that to become a precedent that people should be putting things like game names, taglines, and back-of-the-box descriptions behind spoiler tags. It'd be the equivalent of being expected to spoiler tag that in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures, you are researching and solving cases related to Jack the Ripper, avoiding mentioning that Aeon's End sequels/expansions exist at all since their presence implies some kind of continuation of the narrative started in Aeon's End, or getting in trouble over saying that Pandemic Legacy is about fighting a pandemic.

tl;dr there is a reasonable and understandable expectation to not spoil narrative/puzzle/surprise elements of a board games that feature that kind of content, but that expectation should not extend to tossing anything and everything about a game's existence behind tags "just in case."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

It'd be the equivalent of being expected to spoiler tag that in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures, you are researching and solving cases related to Jack the Ripper, avoiding mentioning that Aeon's End sequels/expansions exist at all since their presence implies some kind of continuation of the narrative started in Aeon's End, or getting in trouble over saying that Pandemic Legacy is about fighting a pandemic.

also, Final Fantasy is evidently not final

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

In the rap sheet entry they admitted they didn't know if it was a spoiler or not; I don't know what to add to that, it's self-admittedly heavy-handed.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jarvisi posted:

This all sounds pretty awesome, but also a lot like eclipse. not sure I could justify owning both!

Oh yeah, dont buy it if you're not gonna play it. I made that mistake with Twilight Imperium and it's literally sat on a shelf for three years. I hate it!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

dont buy it if you're not gonna play it.

:frogout:

whomst among us doesn't have a pile of shrink-wrapped shame

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I keep getting obliterated in Gaia Project. I know how to play and I know how to score, and I just think my dumb brain won't let me strategize and think ahead. I think playing with friends turns my brain off or something. I feel like I need something akin to a coach. Still love the game despite the frustrations.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
got gifted Castles of Tuscany and it.... does not look like a game I can successfully teach to my SO. i'll do some Rodney due diligence, but does anyone care enough about it to sway my opinion, whether towards definitely playing it or immediately placing it on the sell stack?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Finished the first part of The Emerald Flame. Hell yeah. Had to use hints to give us a nudge in the right direction or to confirm we were going about things correctly. Fun times, looking forward to starting the 2nd part.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

:frogout:

whomst among us doesn't have a pile of shrink-wrapped shame

Ha not me.

I open and punch all my games then don't play them.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Ha not me.

I open and punch all my games then don't play them.

:hmmyes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

homullus posted:

also, Final Fantasy is evidently not final

I assumed for a long time that it was a mistranslation and the game was meant to be called Ultimate Fantasy. But no; Square were on the edge of going out of business and so they renamed their last active project Final Fantasy. It immediately became a success and saved the company. With wonderful self deprecating humour, they decided to call their next game Final Fantasy 2. And that's why none of the games in the series are more than tangentially related: it's a 30-year joke that this time they really will go out of business.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SettingSun posted:

I keep getting obliterated in Gaia Project. I know how to play and I know how to score, and I just think my dumb brain won't let me strategize and think ahead. I think playing with friends turns my brain off or something. I feel like I need something akin to a coach. Still love the game despite the frustrations.

If you're serious about wanting a coach, I'd be happy to play a couple of BGA games with you and kind of walk through your decision-making process as much as you care to.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

FirstAidKite posted:

Finished the first part of The Emerald Flame. Hell yeah. Had to use hints to give us a nudge in the right direction or to confirm we were going about things correctly. Fun times, looking forward to starting the 2nd part.

Reported for spoilers that you go in the right direction rather than the left.

Seriously though glad it sounds like it's fun! We've been doing some Exit games to get in the escape room box mindset before I'm willing to open it up. So far we did Abandoned Cabin and Mysterious Museum. We enjoyed Cabin a lot more than Museum. The ending of Museum just gives you 4 cards that are "souvenirs" which kept feeling like it should have been another puzzle? Or maybe it is and we didn't notice? It felt like a letdown to wrap up on a final puzzle that was pretty simple only for the last 4 riddle cards to not be riddles. I picked up Orient Express as well, hopefully we get to do that one sometime this week

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
In this thread, a few times people have talked about coming across the unique 3-player-only game Three Kingdoms Redux. Well, interestingly enough, it is now available on the BGG Store. Price is $70 USD, as compared to $70 Singaporean dollars (about $50 USD) from the publisher. Of course, I also have no idea about shipping between the two. I've only ever used the Geek Game Shop which is different from the BGG Store. The BGG Store sells promos and the Geek Game Shop sells games, but the BGG Store also sells games sometimes but oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

I think there was talk of them considering destroying some stock to not have to store them since they are small business and all, but maybe enough people decided to spring for it that BGG took some inventory off their hands, maybe?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Price is $70 USD, as compared to $70 Singaporean dollars (about $50 USD) from the publisher. Of course, I also have no idea about shipping between the two.

Looks like about $11 shipped to Missouri, compared to like $50 or whatever it was from Singapore.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mayveena posted:

So, hey, just to clarify: that probe was based on a report made by Magnetic North (who posted about this in the thread too). I didn't have complete context, but my quick research on the game didn't immediately contradict the possibility that some of FAK's content may have been spoilery, so I decided to assume the report was valid.

I don't read this thread, so any action I take in it is going to be based on reports. If you'd prefer that I refer reports like that to you for IK action/that posters here talk to you first before reporting, that's fine! Just let me know.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

So, hey, just to clarify: that probe was based on a report made by Magnetic North (who posted about this in the thread too). I didn't have complete context, but my quick research on the game didn't immediately contradict the possibility that some of FAK's content may have been spoilery, so I decided to assume the report was valid.

Genuinely curious here, not being sarcastic or dunk on you or anything like that, this is a sincere question: what was your quick research? Did you go check BGG or the publisher's store page or something? You're not likely to find spoilers, narrative/puzzle/surprise or otherwise, in a plain description on the game box, store page descriptions, or the BGG description.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FirstAidKite posted:

Genuinely curious here, not being sarcastic or dunk on you or anything like that, this is a sincere question: what was your quick research? Did you go check BGG or the publisher's store page or something? You're not likely to find spoilers, narrative/puzzle/surprise or otherwise, in a plain description on the game box, store page descriptions, or the BGG description.

I believe it was the publisher's store page? Basically, I was looking to see if "the castle one is a sequel to the cabin one" and "the villain is a Jigsaw-type character" were obviously in the marketing, and I didn't see them immediately. I erred on the side of caution because I know that games with sealed/destroyable elements can actually have pretty major spoilers involved.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I believe it was the publisher's store page? Basically, I was looking to see if "the castle one is a sequel to the cabin one" and "the villain is a Jigsaw-type character" were obviously in the marketing, and I didn't see them immediately. I erred on the side of caution because I know that games with sealed/destroyable elements can actually have pretty major spoilers involved.

Well I hope if this comes up again that you'll ask about it since other posters found that info pretty easily. It's better to ask so you have context for that stuff and there's no harm in asking. Then if you do end up having to probate someone for spoilers you can edit the post since probating for it but leaving it up is a bit silly.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
My wife and I have really been enjoying My City. As we are coming to the end of it we were both discussing how good in particular some of the early rounds were when we were exhausted from work and too zonked to play anything too complex, so just having the game be “draw a card, stare at your board and place a tile” with pretty much zero setup and playing in 20 minutes was exactly what we needed.

I’m wondering what’s a good polynomimo game to maybe recapture that feel now once we are done. I’m unethused about patchwork based on the “theme” (to the extent it exists) and components. Barenpark is probably the lead contender as it looks pretty simple and clear and we can probably bring the kids in, but I understand the setup is a bit of a bear. NY Zoo? Anything else we should consider?

I’ll insta buy that sequel to my city coming out (my island) and we also have feast for Odin (too much for a quick after dinner thing) and ark nova (unplayed but presumably ditto).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's not quite what you are asking for.. But Carcassone surely?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cascadia maybe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blamestorm posted:

Barenpark is probably the lead contender as it looks pretty simple and clear and we can probably bring the kids in, but I understand the setup is a bit of a bear.

I see what you did there. :getout:

Bärenpark setup is actually quite quick if you store it right. Bag the enclosures as a stack in numerical order and it's just a matter of pulling out the stack and putting it in place. Then the hardest part is stacking the statue tiles into order. Even adding a module from the expansion doesn't take much longer.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Cartographers is great, although it doesn't have physical components.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's not quite what you are asking for.. But Carcassone surely?
Seconding Carcassone if you haven't played it yet. If you have, why it isn't quite what you're looking for should help with giving more specific suggestions.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I’ve got Carcassonne but got a bit sick of it, especially as the 2p game feels quite zero sum and nasty in that it feels like you want to block people off from high scoring opportunities. I think we are both enthusiastic about the more Tetris like thing of how do you fit all this stuff together that My City had, it felt more like a visual puzzle. I’ll check out Cascadia though. Is Barenpark still considered good?

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 14, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Blamestorm posted:

I think we are both enthusiastic about the more Tetris like thing

Copenhagen might be a choice. I've been playing it recently since it came to BoardGameArena (not premium, just plain old free), having not really noticed it before.

The theme is you're creating building facades, but it's really essentially an abstract trying to make rows and columns in what is the most similar many polyomino games get to actual Tetris :ussr:. Each row is 1 point, each column is 2, but there's a tweest! Each tile has windows on some but not all of its segments. If you complete an entire row or column with all windows, it's worth double (2 or 4 respectively). The game is a race to 12 points. The tiles are gained by discarding cards equal to the number of segments the polyomino has, though you can get a 1 card discount by putting it touching a matching color tile already placed. That's easier said than done because the cards are drafted, and when you draft these cards, you have to take two cards that are adjacent in the display so you may or may not like what's out there. Fortunately, you can gain simple one-use power tiles, which will let you take 2 non-adjacent cards, take an additional card or take cards and purchase a facade in the same turn, etc. In what I think is my favorite little wrinkle, when you earn a bonus tile, you can instead forgo gaining another to refresh the ones you have. Is it better to have 2 refreshed, or a 3rd action you can use now?

I don't mean to overstate the game's quality. It's quite light and fairly lucky, but I've enjoyed it so far. It also appears to still be in print. There is also a version with acrylic tiles instead of cardboard, which sounds pretty sweet.

Here's Queen Game's video on the rules.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Blamestorm posted:

My wife and I have really been enjoying My City. As we are coming to the end of it we were both discussing how good in particular some of the early rounds were when we were exhausted from work and too zonked to play anything too complex, so just having the game be “draw a card, stare at your board and place a tile” with pretty much zero setup and playing in 20 minutes was exactly what we needed.

I’m wondering what’s a good polynomimo game to maybe recapture that feel now once we are done. I’m unethused about patchwork based on the “theme” (to the extent it exists) and components. Barenpark is probably the lead contender as it looks pretty simple and clear and we can probably bring the kids in, but I understand the setup is a bit of a bear. NY Zoo? Anything else we should consider?

I’ll insta buy that sequel to my city coming out (my island) and we also have feast for Odin (too much for a quick after dinner thing) and ark nova (unplayed but presumably ditto).

Cartographers has already been mentioned, but would Isle of Cats be too obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Resident Idiot posted:

Cartographers has already been mentioned, but would Isle of Cats be too obvious?

The problem with Isle of Cats is that it's not very good and has loads of bits.