Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

From my local Facebook group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

From my local Facebook group

:lmao:

This was almost me a couple weeks ago. I have since gotten a filter with a bolt head on top for next time thank god.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Ducati cup type filter tool is mandatory for a reason :allears:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anita Dickinme posted:

:lmao:

This was almost me a couple weeks ago. I have since gotten a filter with a bolt head on top for next time thank god.

It's really worth the extra couple bucks for those, especially if a gorilla installed it as seems to be the case here

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I had to drive a screwdriver through the dealer installed one after the 1000km service to get it off, bought the OEM tool after that just in case. gently caress peope that wrench oil filters onto an engine, it's just one of those things I'll never understand. There is no upside to doing it the dumb way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m likely (hopefully) purchasing a Goldwing 1800 in the coming days and I’ve been reading up on them just to understand what makes them tick, and Honda, you really need to chill on the braking system. drat

quote:

Honda’s Linked Braking System (LBS) features a second master cylinder and a three-stage proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single rear brake discs. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the front right-side caliper and the center piston of the front left-side caliper and, acting through the secondary master cylinder and an inline proportioning valve, the outer two pistons of the rear caliper. The rear brake pedal operates the center piston of the rear brake caliper, the center piston of the front right-side brake caliper and the outer two pistons of the front left-side caliper. A delay valve sensitive to the rider’s pedal pressure smoothes front brake engagement.

All-new anti-dive system minimizes front fork dive when braking. The system utilizes brake fluid pressure generated in the secondary LBS master cylinder mounted on the left fork leg and is activated by input from either the front brake lever or the rear brake pedal. This first-ever application of anti-dive and LBS produces enhanced stability when maneuvering at both low speeds and highway speeds.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That sounds like some kind of satanic incantation to lose speed, rather than a braking system.
How does that work/feel when you're dragging the rear brake for low speed manouvring?

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i would imagine a goldwing is so heavy that something had to be done about the weight transfer to the front under braking. the bike is so big i bet without it it feels super un nerving to have it dive an inch or two under any front brake input.

i guess the tradeoff without it would have been harsh ride to keep it from resisting diving all the time. or a ride that felt plush at highway speeds but does a big nose dive every time you touch the brake.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t know but if it’s anything like the linked brakes on the 1200 it’s pretty transparent, and you can mostly treat it like a normal braking system

loving boomers and their inane fear of the front brake have wrought this bullshit upon all of us

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t know but if it’s anything like the linked brakes on the 1200 it’s pretty transparent, and you can mostly treat it like a normal braking system

loving boomers and their inane fear of the front brake have wrought this bullshit upon all of us

Wait hold up. There are people out there that are scared of the front brake? Like seriously? If you’re not constantly using it all the time how are you going to know how to use it in an emergency? :confused:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Wait hold up. There are people out there that are scared of the front brake? Like seriously? If you’re not constantly using it all the time how are you going to know how to use it in an emergency? :confused:

Pft emergencies don't happen to me, they happen to other people, I've been riding for 40 years I know what I'm doi-:gibs:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If you need the front brake to avoid an emergency, you might as well lay'er down.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Anita Dickinme posted:

They’re scared because they believe you either immediately wash the front out or go over the bars. Back brake only.

For the linked braking system, that’s very close to what I have on my st1300. Other than unsettling sinking in the rear pedal when you let off the front brake at a stop, it feels normal. It is a royal motherfucker to bleed though. My procedure for the rear circuit requires unbolting the calliper with the secondary master cylinder and rotating it to have the master cylinder between 0-15 degrees above the horizontal. And it’s something like 6 bleed points.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

Most Harley riders? Gotta layer dan

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, it’s like THE defining boomer riding characteristic. They think that even if you’re on a 1000lb full Harley bagger that if you even touch the front brake, the bike will just cartwheel. God help you if you’re in a turn (the boomer and the Harley’s natural enemy)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

i would imagine a goldwing is so heavy that something had to be done about the weight transfer to the front under braking. the bike is so big i bet without it it feels super un nerving to have it dive an inch or two under any front brake input.

i guess the tradeoff without it would have been harsh ride to keep it from resisting diving all the time. or a ride that felt plush at highway speeds but does a big nose dive every time you touch the brake.

Correct. The latest model moved to a girder front end because the public's addiction to more and bigger meant the handling/comfort compromise became impossible to sustain.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The latest model is slightly smaller than the prior gen.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I ordered some JIS screwdriver bits off ebay, and the ones that arrived seem to be scaled up 50% in all dimensions. Wtf ? Totally unusable for me.

Nice packaging though

Ah I also got a pillion seat replacement cowl for 20 bucks as the OEM ones don't seem to be available any more. Actually seems OK quality, will have to wait till it's on the bike to see about the colour match.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m likely (hopefully) purchasing a Goldwing 1800 in the coming days

Ok well this all escalated quickly

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is the fact they're the same size an indication it's the largest reasonable form factor for a motorcycle? Also, cool.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Any larger and they tend to grow doors.

That looks awesome; any known issues or odd mods?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Post a picture of the console + controls for the folks who haven't seen the absolute mass of buttons taking up every square inch of real estate on that gen GL1800. I swear there are 10+ buttons just for CB accessories - which, judging by the antennas, that bike has

Side note IIRC you use your bike to transport some stuff/go grocery shopping etc, don't trust that luggage rack on the trunk to support much weight without cracking the trunk lid plastic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snapshot posted:

Any larger and they tend to grow doors.

That looks awesome; any known issues or odd mods?

It has floorboards and a heel toe shifter installed. The floorboards are not at all for me because I tend to ride with my toes down and they force my feet level. The heel toe shifter is just laughably terrible.

Other than that it is extremely stock, which is good. The runner up behind this one for potential purchase had the entire kuryakyn chrome catalog barfed onto it and was absolutely festooned with stick-on chrome and pinstripe stickers and BS like that. I really didnt want to be undoing someone elses mess.

So next up is finding a set of stock pegs and a stock shifter because boy howdy is it terrible to shift by stomping your heel down

No known issues, PO said it will need brakes sometime and included the pads. However, the brakes are light years better than the ones on my 1200, I think mostly due to just braking technology progressing that much between 1986 and 2002. Oh, the left bag wont open with the normal lever, he thinks the cable is disconnected, it shouldn't be tough to fix since the whole setup is just a little pull cable. In the mean time there is an emergency latch you can hit to open it if needed

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Post a picture of the console + controls for the folks who haven't seen the absolute mass of buttons taking up every square inch of real estate on that gen GL1800. I swear there are 10+ buttons just for CB accessories - which, judging by the antennas, that bike has

Side note IIRC you use your bike to transport some stuff/go grocery shopping etc, don't trust that luggage rack on the trunk to support much weight without cracking the trunk lid plastic

Thats good to know about the trunk lid rack, because I use my current wing for transporting deliveries for work and would probably strap too much to it.

And yeah, the cockpit is like a space shuttle, just buttons everywhere, I'll grab a pic of it when I'm out there next

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

gat dang that is a clean goldwing.

always loved that honda used the car version of the speedo,tach,fuel/temp gauges. a nice nod to how big/comfy they must be

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The rear lights also really remind me of the accord from that era. The Honda design language is pretty apparent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

The latest model is slightly smaller than the prior gen.

Slightly yeah, but it also has to be faster and better handling while also being more comfortable than the previous model, and they're big enough to be pushing up against the functional limits of the telescopic fork. Front wishbone gives a broader performance window.

knox_harrington posted:

Is the fact they're the same size an indication it's the largest reasonable form factor for a motorcycle? Also, cool.

One of the can-am's marketing ploys was that it's only a slightly wider footprint than a full dress goldwing so why do you care about splitting anyway??

I think that's about as wide as a bike can get before it becomes unmanageable for a human being in the real world. Length is largely capped by handling issues.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The rear lights also really remind me of the accord from that era. The Honda design language is pretty apparent.

The fact that it's in boomer wine red really drives home the resemblance, can't unsee it now.

Enjoy your retirement!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I still have a two stroke dirt bike and a beach bike, I’m not totally lost yet.

Also, having two goldwings in my garage right now is really unmanageable lol. It’s a lot bigger than the sv

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, having two goldwings in my garage right now is really unmanageable lol. It’s a lot bigger than the sv

I bought one of those bike dollies thinking I'd be able to put the wing on it, turn it sideways up against the front of the garage and be able to squeeze the Jeep in behind it; no way. Now I have a dolly taking up more floor space.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Two Goldwings... you are ridin' high on the hog. Er, wings. Flying high on the two wings. Whatever.

In all honesty, looks fantastic. Reminds me of my beater-clunker and my nicer bike, except both of yours are nice.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Well, I've finally done it. I posted in AI that I was fed up with cars because of how expensive everything is...I just passed my MSF today!

While I fully admit I have infinitely more to learn/improve, these 2 days were such a joy. I had a Grom the entire time and I was having the time of my life even just going relatively slow speeds just because of how HARD you have to work to get everything working correctly.

I'm not gonna lie, I stalled like 5 times which was fairly embarrassing - during the emergency stop training, I accidentally had it in second as I came to a stop and lurched the gently caress out of it in front of the instructor. Other than that, 10/10.

I'm about to hit 30 so my fear of riding is very healthy, which I think is a good thing. I absolutely loved the course, and I think will be getting a Ninja 400 as my first bike, with the first month or so just trying to get the fundamentals down (braking/turning especially).

The course initially confused me on what countersteer was, but I think once I got it up to speed it became clearer...I guess I'll just need to go out near a parking lot and explore it a little more.

I'm so excited.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice work Jim, top tier road couch! How many miles has it got on it?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dk2m posted:

Well, I've finally done it. I posted in AI that I was fed up with cars because of how expensive everything is...I just passed my MSF today!

While I fully admit I have infinitely more to learn/improve, these 2 days were such a joy. I had a Grom the entire time and I was having the time of my life even just going relatively slow speeds just because of how HARD you have to work to get everything working correctly.

I'm not gonna lie, I stalled like 5 times which was fairly embarrassing - during the emergency stop training, I accidentally had it in second as I came to a stop and lurched the gently caress out of it in front of the instructor. Other than that, 10/10.

I'm about to hit 30 so my fear of riding is very healthy, which I think is a good thing. I absolutely loved the course, and I think will be getting a Ninja 400 as my first bike, with the first month or so just trying to get the fundamentals down (braking/turning especially).

The course initially confused me on what countersteer was, but I think once I got it up to speed it became clearer...I guess I'll just need to go out near a parking lot and explore it a little more.

I'm so excited.

My two cents:
Just wait until you stall at a traffic light while cars are waiting for you. Yes, this will happen.

Ordinarily a used bike is the best idea. I have no idea if that’s still true with the absurd price of everything but it’s worth looking at used bikes because you’re almost certainly going to accidentally drop it and then it feels less bad.

Countersteering makes the most sense to me if you think about how wheels actually squish and so look like a red solo cup but fortunately there’s a ton of videos on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6h5aq-xqw Keith code is a weird dude but twist of the wrist is good.

Poor guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5hV-ESBd0 But look how upright bikes want to stay. That’s because of how their turning works.

Make sure to get proper gear.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:perfect:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Correct. The latest model moved to a girder front end because the public's addiction to more and bigger meant the handling/comfort compromise became impossible to sustain.

Goldwing forks were way undersized for a very long time in my professional opinion as an owner of a couple mass market chassis books who hasn't read them all yet. And the duolever style setup on BMW K bikes is an absolutely fantastic suspension system which feels great on the road.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

oh gently caress yes.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

dk2m posted:

I'm so excited.

Congrats!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

builds character posted:

Poor guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5hV-ESBd0 But look how upright bikes want to stay. That’s because of how their turning works.

The still-on-bike guy did everything wrong. Why was he on the left side of the runaway? Obviously get on the right side where you'd have a free hand and just flick the kill switch. Instead of, y'know, repeatedly kicking the runaway into a truck.

Or just pull up alongside, stand up, get a foot on each seat, put your hands on your hips, and ride off with your friend's bike into the sunset.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Countersteering makes the most sense to me if you think about how wheels actually squish and so look like a red solo cup but fortunately there’s a ton of videos on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6h5aq-xqw Keith code is a weird dude but twist of the wrist is good.

Yeah I think you can just summarize it as "look left push left go left" and "look right push right go right" and you'll be set! there's a bunch of complicated things happening when a motorcycle turns. here's a good video imo. it's pretty dense, you may need to watch it a few times. also some of these things will probably only make sense after you have enough riding experience and can make the connections between what you do, what you feel, and what is happening (per design).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_JCuByuEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

So the road from Pemberton to Lillooet is amazing and like dreaming in real life. Started the ride with a bit of hail but an hour later it was time to open all the vents. The road had such good flow, probably the best road I've ridden and the view of the canyon is unreal.

From Lillooet I went south on highway 12 and it was pretty drat good too, way more open though but enough corners to keep it interesting. Riding through Lytton was so weird, last summer the entire town burnt down from a forest fire. Crazy poo poo.

From there the highway opens up a bit but following the Fraser River is pretty cool and the scenery is great. Saw another guy on a Triumph Tiger 1200, talked to him a bit at a highway construction stop. Followed his pace at a safe distance, definitely quick but not late braking into corners or anything stupid.

Took the less direct rout back into Vancouver but by now I'm getting pretty done with driving and the roads are mostly just straight and the traffic density is getting thicker. The beer and burger I got after parking my bike for the day was the best thing ever.

Bike did well, always had enough power to pass cars quickly, never felt too beat up even though I was just getting hammered by the wind a lot, don't think the windscreen on my bike does anything. Soft bags worked great, would like to get a third pillion bag for next time though, with all the rain and winter layers I almost ran out of space.

10/10 would motorcycle again.