Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Angepain posted:

The important question is, can artificial intelligence finally replace the art of forum posting?

It would be pretty funny to set up a few ai accounts on here and then watch the people who don't realise arguing with them, yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I thought that was just ronya

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

It would be pretty funny to set up a few ai accounts on here and then watch the people who don't realise arguing with them, yes!

Let's be real, we all already have a list of a few posters we have suspicions about

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pistol_Pete posted:

Any collection of words, sufficient advanced, will be indistinguishable from a shitpost.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Blindsight ruled and the vampire part is minor but really novel and it adds to the world IMO. I read it (for free on the author's website) a while back and I still think about it. Not sure I've ever read a first contact story quite like it, parts of it really stuck with me.

Also that short film that some fans made of it is so loving good too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's a faintly puzzling thing to include, like if you write a novel about an exploration spaceship and all the engineering crew happen to be werewolves for some reason and the rest of the crew just kind of roll with it and it doesn't really impact the plot in any way.
Engineers who can be their own doggos sounds like a good weight and personnel reduction strategy for long distance spaceflight.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's a faintly puzzling thing to include, like if you write a novel about an exploration spaceship and all the engineering crew happen to be werewolves for some reason and the rest of the crew just kind of roll with it and it doesn't really impact the plot in any way.

See to me that sounds more like a fetish than anything else.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pistol_Pete posted:

It would be pretty good if the engineering staff were constantly searching for planets with a lot of moons so maximise full moon time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And the enhanced cross linking in their previsual cortex makes em vulnerable to simultaneous vertical and horizontal visual stimulation.
This just dredged back something I remember thinking ages ago.

Can you repel vampires with graph paper? It's just a ton of crosses upon crosses.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Can you repel vampires with graph paper? It's just a ton of crosses upon crosses.

I want to say yes? I think part of the reason they went extinct is because humans started building stuff and buildings etc had right angles which is what fucks them up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Discworld spoiler: in Carpe Jugulum the vampire children are defeated because their father has inadvertently taught them to recognise patterns. As a result, with a little assistance from Granny Weatherwax they suddenly realise that they can see religious symbols everywhere.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the "vampires" thing is just a marketing hook because it's off-genre. no one says "Blindsight is an amazing book, and it's got a cyborg in it!" because cyborgs in science fiction novels aren't surprising, even though Szpindel fulfils the same thematic role as Sarasti (and the rest of the crew)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I like the old Doctor Who approach to this one - what repels them is faith, in whatever symbol you're using. The priest doesn't have enough faith so he gets eaten, cross or no, while the Soviet soldier's hammer-and-sickle works because he absolutely believes in the immortal science of Marxist-Leninism.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Pistol_Pete posted:

Interesting, and how do you feel about set up a few ai accounts on here and then watch the people who don't realise arguing with them, yes?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Arron Banks lost the libel case against Carole Cadwalladr
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...n-brexit-russia

I guess that means the court found that vote leave lied about not taking russian op money

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 13, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mrpwase posted:

Interesting, and how do you feel about set up a few ai accounts on here and then watch the people who don't realise arguing with them, yes?

Well, that explains the username.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Hearty lmao:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PA/status/1536279217947791361

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

jiggerypokery posted:

I was truly convinced she was going to lose horribly. Fighting for journalistic freedom isn't exactly a winning battle across the world, and will get worse... but not here, today, just for once.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jedit posted:

Well, that explains the username.

Does it? Please explain it to me, because I don't understand my own username :shrug:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Marmaduke! posted:

I was truly convinced she was going to lose horribly. Fighting for journalistic freedom isn't exactly a winning battle across the world, and will get worse... but not here, today, just for once.

yeah I was 90% sure she was going to lose too

I know people ITT have mixed feelings about her but losing that case would have been another nail in the coffin of civil liberties in this country that is already nearly 100% nail

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mrpwase posted:

Does it? Please explain it to me, because I don't understand my own username :shrug:

It looks like a procgen.

E: I am informed that Morrisons are discreetly offering free supplies of sanitary products to women in need if they go to customer services and say Sandy left a package for them. If you know anyone who is struggling, pass it on - it may not be all branches, and supplies may be limited, but it's worth a shot.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 13, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1536235103717838848

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jiggerypokery posted:

yeah I was 90% sure she was going to lose too

I know people ITT have mixed feelings about her but losing that case would have been another nail in the coffin of civil liberties in this country that is already nearly 100% nail

Having done some limited reading on it, she had suffered some setbacks in relation to arguing that her saying "Aaron Banks is lying about his connection to Russian businesses" had the implied meaning that he was concealing taking money from Russian businesses.

If that sounds convoluted here is a simplified version.

Banks' Lawyers: When you did that Ted Talk about my client, you were basically saying he was getting bribes from Russia for nefarious reasons and that he should be viewed as some type of spy or State Actor.

Cadwalladr: No I was just saying that there were links between Banks and these Russians and he hadn't been honest about that.

The judge ruled against her on that point on the basis the parts had the meaning inferred that Banks side was arguing. (And honestly, yeah I think they were right. The would have had that meaning. Why else are you reporting on it, if that wasn't the conclusion you were drawing or asking the reader to draw.)

So on the basis of that ruling, Banks side had a very good case for proving that Cadwalladr had defamed him (IE published something that would reduce his reputation in the eyes of right thinking members of society.)

But Cadwalladr would have still had a number of defences open to her, including special defences available for the media.
One of these is Truth (IE that what she said was true.)
Another is that whether she knew it to be true or wasn't certain, it was still a matter of public importance.

Earlier someone asked if this ruling meant that a court ruled Banks had taken Russian money. It doesn't.
I mean, without having seen the full judgement, a court could have found what Cadwalladr said was true at which point they would have ruled in her favour.
But they also could have found (and I suspect they did) that what she said was in the Public Interest and that she reasonably believed it could have been true.
And that would have afforded her a defence.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Annoyingly that is the correct interpretation based on the summary here :

https://www.judiciary.uk/judgments/banks-v-cadwalladr/

Ooh, I can't find 'electable' or 'forensic' in here but can find 'unelectable':

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1536119453070630912/photo/2

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 13, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Metal Kier

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just imagine sitting in a meeting with a bunch of consultants explaining that this PowerPoint slide they have up on the screen is everyone's honest opinions about you lol.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

blindsight is like 30% of a really good scifi idea then 6 other less good scifi ideas including vampires, then the sequel is all about the bad ideas

in terms of goon book recommendations its better than Malazan at least

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It's hopefully Labor realising the current tide is people voting against the Tories, not for them.
Maybe they can replace him with someone with a few good policies and and charisma!
Lol no, it will be Boris's mutant clone.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

I guess that means the court found that vote leave lied about not taking russian op money

The witness statement she posted on Scribd is hilarious. Unsure if my fave so far is her calling Yekatarinberg "a closed naval city" or calling the Henry Jackson Society "a think tank which promotes democracy and human rights"

A beautifully smooth brain

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Finnish news are reporting Johnson is about to take a big dump on the Ireland border setup today. Do you folks know how serious this is?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You are above even the Bozza. I hearby award you the title of Big Bozza.

(What Kier hears in his dreams just before he wakes up.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

Finnish news are reporting Johnson is about to take a big dump on the Ireland border setup today. Do you folks know how serious this is?

It’s bad, but it’s not likely to actually get implemented for at least 18 months. By which point it could have been killed.

As it is, legislation that can empower a Minister to ignore domestic legislation is awful from a rule of law perspective.

As others have pointed out, you can write whatever domestic laws you want, but they don’t give you carte blanch to ignore International Treaties. I mean you can, but from a diplomatic stand point they are a terrible idea.

Expect the majority of English people to not care about how bad an idea they are, because they just don’t understand the Northern Irish/Ireland situation.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's still funny that every time the Tories bring up the NI protocol and how terrible they think it is, someone goes 'wait didn't you guys negotiate and sign this'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Expect the majority of English people to not care about how bad an idea they are, because they just don’t understand the Northern Irish/Ireland situation.
ftfy

The Question IRL posted:

Expect the majority of English people to not care about how bad an idea they are
also ftfy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ataxerxes posted:

WE do. We aren't the people electing this government though, that's the Boomers who don't, so Johnson doesn't give a poo poo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
keith drove to dundee in bare feet

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

From the sounds of it Boris et al are tabling a terrible bill in the hopes of getting the DUP to shut up and form a government in NI then they can cry in 12 months time and say they tried to roll back the protocol but the mean EU wouldn't let them. No reason to let Brexit get in the way of the time-honoured tradition of having the EU take the fall for unpopular domestic political decisions.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Patiently waiting for the latest load of shite to dribble from the mouth/anus (i think it's all one orifice on him) of Boris. :shrek:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear