Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Which, if I'm correct, means all of Higurashi is now officially translated and available on Steam.

Well, all that we're ever likely to get, at least. There are still something like a dozen console-exclusive extra arcs that will probably never be translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

Well, all that we're ever likely to get, at least. There are still something like a dozen console-exclusive extra arcs that will probably never be translated.

They got fan translated by 07th mod though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Oh, cool; guess I've been out of the loop for a while, then.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
a vn about time loops without murders? strange

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got Looper. If it's bad i can call it "pooper"

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

I'm a couple hours into Looper and I'm having fun with it! I'm waiting for the "Oh God this poo poo is seriously hosed" shoe to drop though. So far I'm still in the happy fun times part.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If it sticks the landing, Looper will probably jump a few slots in my play list

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

Does anyone have a Steam Deck, and if so, how does it work with visual novels? I'd assume the small screen wouldn't be too much of an issue since most of them have pretty big text, it would be rad to be able to read some of this stuff comfortably in bed.

It works perfectly, and it is very rad.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Did anyone ever play the Yuri Mystery VN Seabed? Finished it yesterday and I've been wrestling with how to interpret it. I think I have an understanding of what happened but would love to hear other people's opinions.

I did enjoy it, though it took me a while to appreciate and understand what it was doing. Don't go in expecting the mystery to be the main focus. It's there and really intriguing, but the focus is on the relationship dynamics between the two main characters and other people they interact with. It's a very slow burn. Well written though. More like an actual novel than your usual VN.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2022

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Holy poo poo Loopers is kind of a rip off at how much they sold it for. The game is only around 10 hours long and I kept waiting for a big twist or subversion of expectations and it never happens. Like I was sure the credit roll would be a fake out and ok now here's the rest of the story type thing it was such a let down.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
should i call it Poopers

actually it not being 69 hours is motivating me to play it more lol

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

mrfreeze posted:

Holy poo poo Loopers is kind of a rip off at how much they sold it for. The game is only around 10 hours long and I kept waiting for a big twist or subversion of expectations and it never happens. Like I was sure the credit roll would be a fake out and ok now here's the rest of the story type thing it was such a let down.

Sounds like the subversion of expectations was inside you all along. No but seriously, how bad is it? I haven't had time to get this yet, is the story bad enough that it's not worth getting into at all or is it just overpriced?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

The story is ok. But almost all the characters are barely developed at all past some stock motivations. It was just a huge let down considering how much I've liked his other work .

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

Less than that even. The average on vndb is 7 hours, including one "full auto" playthrough that was submitted with 6h27m.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 7, 2022

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I enjoy Loopers as a story that knows what it's about and is exactly as long as it needs to be. It has something to say, it says it, it rolls credits. That's not the way I'd like every story to be, but it's enjoyable as a sometimes food.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Been playing the free English VN mystery novel Lucid9, which is shockingly good considering it's free. The cast is likable, the banter between them is really fun, and they have great chemistry together. I do think that early on there were times I felt the humor was a little forced, though fortunately not that many. But there's far more where it felt natural and engaging. I'm about halfway through so can't comment too much on the mystery yet. I'm intrigued but not super invested yet, But honestly the cast is strong enough that even if the mystery part fails it's still worth a read.

Also finished Rewrite, which I'm happy to say I felt nailed the ending. I'm not sure if I'd say the final route is as strong as Clannad's After Story or Little Buster's Refrain, though it's definitely up there. But the final scenes I felt hit just as strong emotionally as those two, though I also think it's a bit more controversial than the other two. Still have one more route to go which you unlock by getting 100 friends, which I also hear is great.

My biggest criticism is I felt some of the romance routes were rushed, though that's also the criticism I have of the vast majority of VNs with romance elements. (People say "I Love You" waaaay to fast). Fortunately the romance element doesn't play a large role in most of the heroine routes, so they're still super compelling even if you don't buy the romance.

Also the common route might even rival Little Buster's common route for the funniest route in a Key game.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Seems like a really tricky writing problem. VNs are already so long, and you're never going to find a natural way for two characters to have romance when there's multiple routes and the player will likely hit them back-to-back-to-back. One solution is a long common route but some people really hate that

Ironically my favorite romance in a VN has been Baldr Sky, despite it taking backseat to everything else going on in that game. All the heroines and Kou have tons of interactions in both the common route and specific heroine routes, and the "time jump", at least from Kou's perspective adds a ton of believability to the romances themselves.

and then they absolutely *nailed* the true ending and wrapped up every romance extremely well

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I went ahead and read through Loopers. My thoughts are mixed. First things first - it's rather short. I didn't keep track of how long it took, but between 6 and 8 hours. I don't mind the length, personally. Not every work needs to be a 200 hour monster like Umineko. The artwork and voice acting are great, and the technical aspects are above average for a VN. The story, however... well, it's not that I'm disappointed exactly, and the story isn't bad. But when the pitch is "Ryukishi07 wrote a time loop mystery", this is not really what I or I think most people would imagine. Without spoiling too much, the time loop is hardly investigated at all and does not factor into anything the player/viewpoint character does. This is not a time loop mystery in the sense that Raging Loop is or even Zero Escape can be said to be. It's not really a mystery story at all, to be honest - the only character to investigates anything is a secondary character whose viewpoint you never get and who just conveniently delivers a few key insights at the story-appropriate moments. So, if you were going into this expecting something like those VNs, you'll be disappointed as that's not what you're getting. It's a neat little story, but that's all it is, really.

Story spoilers: I think it's a bit weird that basically none of the supporting characters (Joe, Ritapon and Holly) matter at all. They don't really do or say anything significant to the overall flow of the story and you never get any real insight into them besides "likes muscles", "likes drawing" and "likes twitch.tv". And the other two loopers aren't shown at all, not even when they appear with voice acting later on! On top of that, Simon is mostly only there as an infodump. I mean, it's fine to have infodump characters, but in the end, the only characters that matter are Mia, Tyler, Hilda and Leona, and even she only matters in terms of Hilda's motivations. I wouldn't really mind, and I'm being perhaps a little uncharitable here, but it makes it feel like this was a short story Ryukishi07 wrote that was subsequently stretched and padded out with more characters so it wouldn't look so bare.

In the end I can't really give it a better grade than mediocre. Oh well. It was okay.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Which of Tokyo Necro, K3, Muramasa, and Silverio Vendetta is most worth the effort and potential 100+ hour readthrough in Japanese? I wanna try getting through one of these legendarily difficult to read VNs over this summer.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

BabyRyoga posted:

Which of Tokyo Necro, K3, Muramasa, and Silverio Vendetta is most worth the effort and potential 100+ hour readthrough in Japanese? I wanna try getting through one of these legendarily difficult to read VNs over this summer.

Haven't read either of the others but Muramasa absolutely is.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Muramasa is available in English so that could be a plus or a minus for you - you could check against it, but you might also think you're wasting your time on the deep dive since you could just read it the other way.

From what little I know about them Tokyo Necro is the one I'd most want to read... except I don't actually know what "K3" refers to.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gegi posted:

except I don't actually know what "K3" refers to.

https://vndb.org/v5844

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Gnosia. Every now and then I'd hit a stretch where I'd have some really successful loops, unlocking events and progressing and all that jazz, and it'd be kind of fun, but on the whole I think it was pretty underwhelming overall. The story is so underwritten and kind of whatever and the characters are paper thin with barely anything to them. I also think the event progression is way too half baked and RNG dependent and just wound up being frustrating most of the time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gnosia and paradise killer were on the same "nice worldbuilding and characters now please write an actual story" level for me

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I liked Gnosia, but the randomized games of werewolf got tedious once it was down to the last few events with very specific triggering conditions. It's not really strong enough as a game mode to hold your interest when there's nothing in particular happening. I don't know if you could make the game work without those, though, and it seems like that aspect is a pretty strong hook for a lot of people.

Anyway, here's some other titles I've been reading recently:

-Hermitage: Strange Case Files: I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread. The main character is an occult bookstore manager bound to the shop and unable to leave, so he solves mysteries via delegation and advice. The 'mystery-solving' part is fairly trivial, but it's not really a big focus of the game and the linearity doesn't really hurt it. Right now I've only finished the first chapter, but it was really sweet and nice and I'm looking forward to the next few, plus whatever metaplot is brewing in the background. So far it looks like each chapter ends with them facing off against some beastie ripped straight from Lovecraftian canon - the first chapter ended with a battle against a Hound of Tindalos, though it was never directly called that.

-The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass: An ontological mystery in the style of 'a bunch of strangers get trapped together, strange things start happening and the protagonist has to figure out what's going on'. Exceptionally complex even by the standards of the genre - pretty much the entirety of the back half is devoted to explaining what happened in the first half, and there's even a little quiz (which doesn't affect anything) for the player to see just how much they've figured out. One of the main complaints I see in the review is that the actual characterization tends to fall short on account of the focus being on the sheer complexity of the narrative, and having completed it I'd say that's pretty fair - most of the characters don't really get fleshed out until fairly late in the story, and even then fairly perfunctorily.

-Knell of St. Godhrkar: Chinese VN that was recently translated completely into English. Revolves around a rotating cast of seven characters and the way their lives interact with each other. Has a fairly unique system for making choices - characters will make decisions on their own, but every time you hit a Bad End or characters get injured, you get fate points which allow you to change their decisions, and this in turn has repercussions on their personalities down the line. A bunch of the reviews complain about the rough translation, but so far it's been perfectly legible to me, although I haven't gotten very far in. This one is free, so it's worth a shot if you're even slightly interested.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually didn't mind the thin-ish narrative that much but once i got leveled reasonably all the werewolf segments were fairly easy apart from the stuff like "survive with this character" which in fairness is sometimes a win condition in actual werewolf games but it sucks here

it's not as annoying as Paradise Killer's problem since that one actually purports to be a murder mystery except the mystery sucks

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The biggest issue I had with the Sekimeiya is that it seemed a good 70 percent of the game was dialog, either internal or external, about what happened, why is it happening, what will happen, what should happen, rather than things actually happening.

It was sometimes interesting but I started to find it tedious. Cutting out some of that dialog could have helped the game have better pacing. Or have that dialog go more towards fleshing out characters, which as mentioned were pretty thin.

Still though, as a mystery box it’s absolutely stellar. It’s incredible how they were able to mesh all of its myriad of plots and plot twists and have it all fit together and make sense.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

Speaking of short games that might not be rip-offs: I got ATRI -My Dear Moments- because it's on sale on Steam for 10€ right now and it's fun so far.
I haven't hit the drama yet (and there's no way there won't be, when you have a robot girl who keeps counting down to a specific date), but I'd already say that the game was worth that price.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

I started this and assuming they're actually going to tie this web of threads together in a satisfying manner in the end it seems quite promising.

Mediocre prose (so so much passive voice), extremely stiff dialogue, paper-thin characters, but jesus christ what a convoluted plot.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Sekimeya: No matter how good(im speculating I really dont know) the in universe explanation might turn out to be, the inner thought world of the protag is.. just not that good. The amount of conjecture upon conjecture is just excessive. If you want to make that interesting you need to write it really well and it's falling short.

The character even says something among the lines of "lol yea I need to drop this habit" and then just keeps going. I petered out a while after that.

The mystery still looks interesting so I may give it another shot.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I definitely mentally checked out about halfway through the first chapter (which is admittedly the longest one). Just “oh, I guess this is happening now, okay, I’ll process it later down the line once the narrative gives me a moment to chill and this guy shuts up”.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Mindblast posted:

Sekimeya: No matter how good(im speculating I really dont know) the in universe explanation might turn out to be, the inner thought world of the protag is.. just not that good. The amount of conjecture upon conjecture is just excessive. If you want to make that interesting you need to write it really well and it's falling short.

The character even says something among the lines of "lol yea I need to drop this habit" and then just keeps going. I petered out a while after that.

The mystery still looks interesting so I may give it another shot.

I’ll be honest i just started skipping through all of that, and having finished the game don’t feel I missed out on anything.

Fortunately the other chapters aren’t as bad.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

theblackw0lf posted:

Did anyone ever play the Yuri Mystery VN Seabed? Finished it yesterday and I've been wrestling with how to interpret it. I think I have an understanding of what happened but would love to hear other people's opinions.

I did enjoy it, though it took me a while to appreciate and understand what it was doing. Don't go in expecting the mystery to be the main focus. It's there and really intriguing, but the focus is on the relationship dynamics between the two main characters and other people they interact with. It's a very slow burn. Well written though. More like an actual novel than your usual VN.

Yeah, what's up? It's one of my all time favorites.

What I got out of the endgame/general premise was Sachiko constructed a place within her mind/heart for Takako's memory to continue existing and keep having her own low-stakes adventures for as long as she lives, which I found to a very touching and poignant take on grief.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do we have a thread for the upcoming somnium files sequel or will we just chat about it here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nyoro posted:

do we have a thread for the upcoming somnium files sequel or will we just chat about it here?

There's a thread for the first one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899320&pagenumber=7&perpage=40

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nyoro posted:

Oh cool, I forgot about this. Something else to fill the gap before Xenoblade 3 comes out.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Tonfa posted:

Yeah, what's up? It's one of my all time favorites.

What I got out of the endgame/general premise was Sachiko constructed a place within her mind/heart for Takako's memory to continue existing and keep having her own low-stakes adventures for as long as she lives, which I found to a very touching and poignant take on grief.

Yea that’s what I thought. I can’t just figure out How Narasaki fits into all of this. It suggests that she’s also part of her imagination, as that was the doll when she was younger. Yet Narasaki also knows and says things that don’t seem Sachiko would know. Also so much of the game is from her point of view at times it would be strange if it was just Sachiko’s imagination.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea that’s what I thought. I can’t just figure out How Narasaki fits into all of this. It suggests that she’s also part of her imagination, as that was the doll when she was younger. Yet Narasaki also knows and says things that don’t seem Sachiko would know. Also so much of the game is from her point of view at times it would be strange if it was just Sachiko’s imagination.

Dissociation is a hell of a thing

To expand on that a bit:

It is possible irl as a traumatic response to experience that you have multiple parts of your consciousness that have great difficulty accessing the feelings and memories compartmentalized in the other ones. It is usually not as clean cut as the Sachiko-Narasaki divide pre-endgame but it's a real occurence.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 22, 2022

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Key has pretty much all of their famous VNs (Clannad, Little Busters, Rewrite, Summer Pockets) on sale in a bundle on Steam for $58 total. Which is an insane deal, considering most of these run $39 regularly.

Also includes the Clannad side stories, Tomoyo After, Planetarian, and some others.

Would post link but I don't know how to post a link from the actual Steam application.

Kicking myself that I didn't wait a few more weeks before buying Rewrite.

edit: oops nvm. It was showing that deal to me because it took off the purchases I already did. It's $112 if you don't own anything .

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

theblackw0lf posted:

Key has pretty much all of their famous VNs (Clannad, Little Busters, Rewrite, Summer Pockets) on sale in a bundle on Steam for $58 total. Which is an insane deal, considering most of these run $39 regularly.

This one? Either it was a misprice since fixed or you got it wrong. That's 87,94€