Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Not really OSHA except the fact this man went back to work as a fire fighter after not sleeping for 2 days and beating a horse in a marathon. Some crazy poo poo.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-61773202
Man v horse: Powys race won by runner Ricky Lightfoot
By James McCarthy
BBC News

Trail runner Ricky Lightfoot became only the third person to win the race since it started in 1980.

He told the BBC he had woken at 06:00 BST on Friday before catching a flight to Manchester at midnight.

Landing at 04:00 he travelled to Wales, arriving at Llanwrtyd Wells, Powys, at 09:00 for the race start at 11:00.

Crossing the line, the 6ft 4in (1.93m) athlete had no idea whether he had won as the people and animals take slightly different routes.

After asking around, he discovered he had come out on top against 1,000 runners and 50 horses with a time of 2:22:23.

He took home £3,500 after beating the first horse by more than two minutes on the 22.5-mile (36km) course.

The 37-year-old Cumbrian said winning was "pretty good, like".

"It's great to win the event and beat the horse," he said.

"I called my partner and said: 'I beat the horse'. And she said: 'You're joking?'.

"And I said: 'No, I did.' She was like, 'oh my God!'"

The firefighter said he had been quietly confident.

"I thought I could give the horse a good race," he explained.

Since his win, he has been asked if he will enter the Grand National next.

"It would be great if I could win the Grand National," he said.

"I've never rode a horse in my life. I once rode a donkey at Blackpool Pleasure Beach though."

After winning, the father of two then made his way home to Maryport, in Cumbria, as he had to be back in work at 07:30 on Sunday.

Race director Mike Thomas said Mr Lightfoot, a member of Cumbria running club Ellenborough AC, beat the horses "quite comfortably" on Saturday.

The last time a human beat a horse in the race was in 2007, and the first time was in 2004.

The jackpot prize for a runner who beats the first horse and rider starts at £500 and increases by £500 each year the event takes place until it is won.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. But what a loving way to be remembered. People will forget about you dying from covid in a hospital, they won't forget the elephant that killed you coming back to ensure the job was done.

An elephant never forgets TO KILL!!!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Man v. Horse marathon is cool, but the only reason that runners have a shot is that the riders have to abide by animal welfare rules.

The runners can push themselves as hard as they wish.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scratch Monkey posted:

'bout to do some sketchy poo poo, doo dah doo dah!

Was this the angry elephant thread?

Using a photo of an African elephant in a story about an Indian elephant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

The Man v. Horse marathon is cool, but the only reason that runners have a shot is that the riders have to abide by animal welfare rules.

The runners can push themselves as hard as they wish.

I mean it makes sense, beating a dead horse gets old pretty fast

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Platystemon posted:

To be fair, the horse gets a shot if it hurts itself.

TotalLossBrain posted:

An elephant never forgets TO KILL!!!!
You only live die twice.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Poor old grandma. Thought of elephants and died.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

El Spamo posted:

Hah, I was listening to an episode of Last Podcast on the Left and they were talking about some folks way out on an isolated off-grid farm hearing "phantom hums" when it was very quiet and still. Not sure if the hosts clocked it, but to me I couldn't help but say to myself "you ding dongs, it's so quiet that your brain and ears are picking up and making into sound anything they can possibly can." It's not a secret underground government lab or aliens, it's just so quiet that your body adjusts and gets a little squirrely.

In those rooms they use for sound testing that are super soundproof, there is always mention of how people can't be in there for long before their brain goes a little weird from being able to hear things you generally don't.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rdc6f9HaA31s1ddrj.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

CitizenKain posted:

In those rooms they use for sound testing that are super soundproof, there is always mention of how people can't be in there for long before their brain goes a little weird from being able to hear things you generally don't.

Anechoic chambers. Yeah, you start to hear things like your blood flowing; some people claim they also hear "a high frequency, like my nervous system working" but that's probably just mild tinnitus they didn't know they had, or auditory hallucination. They're creepy spaces to be in, in any case. You can scream your lungs out in one and you'll barely hear yourself.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat that dude had 3 saving rolls in a row , and should buy a lotto ticket.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Not today, Satan!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

"works just fine until it doesn't."

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

clearly staged that's impossible

E: chairs so tiny

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Need that guy to play short stop on my softball team.

Edit: god drat it's beautiful. He is a graceful swan.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Anechoic chambers. Yeah, you start to hear things like your blood flowing; some people claim they also hear "a high frequency, like my nervous system working" but that's probably just mild tinnitus they didn't know they had, or auditory hallucination. They're creepy spaces to be in, in any case. You can scream your lungs out in one and you'll barely hear yourself.

At one of my old gigs, you could hear a coworker's artificial heart valve click if you were both in the chamber.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Who here hasn't been startled by an overly aggressive fart?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

'bout to do some sketchy poo poo, doo dah doo dah!

Was this the angry elephant thread?

Elephants never forget, and they never forgive.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you may not remember the elephant but the elephant remembers you.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/QOQHNCf.mp4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Elephants never forget, and they never forgive.

https://y.yarn.co/b308351d-be78-4968-925e-f53b58e2bcbb.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

watching the beginning of this it was clear the pilot was either an expert who knew exactly what he was doing or...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Any landing you can walk away from ...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

how

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Boats are known to inexplicably beach themselves sometimes, it is theorized to be potentially related to water contamination or other environmental factors but scientists do not currently have a complete explanation.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

"That's illegal. What you're doing is illegal."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Computer viking posted:

In northern Norway? Haha no. She could easily be hours away from the nearest place selling ... well, anything. Maybe a ferry or two.

E: Or did you mean "from the pile of supplies at the farmhouse"? Because that makes a lot of sense and is probably true. Disregard the above.

It's the "pile of supplies" one.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Can't park there mate.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The best part was him overcorrecting himself running into the other boats when he could just push himself off with his hands at that speed. But nope gotta push the throttle to the floor.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

INFRA?
It's an extremely OSHA game

GotLag posted:

INFRA is a very good game

A few pages back, but a new free map mod is being promoted on Steam today: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/251110/view/3341121821014610268

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. But what a loving way to be remembered. People will forget about you dying from covid in a hospital, they won't forget the elephant that killed you coming back to ensure the job was done.

Died with elephant trample. :colbert:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 13, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's a drat loving good reason that some cultures used elephants as war animals.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What you need is a good guy with an elephant.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

toplitzin posted:

At one of my old gigs, you could hear a coworker's artificial heart valve click if you were both in the chamber.

That’s pretty cool. I found that sharing an anechoic chamber with another person just highlights how much silence makes people absolutely unable to stop talking to fill the void.

I’ve spent several hours inside various anechoic rooms on more than one occasion and if anything, I found the whole experience quite pleasant and calming. Except for the time someone forgot I was working in it late, and turned the lights off from outside.
The doors on either side of the suspended walkway into the room weren’t locked and there’s an emergency bell cord in one corner, but for some reason my brain completely forgot both of those things exist - let alone where they were in relation to my body.

No phone signal inside the Faraday cage, either.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Please hold in your farts while you're inside the anechoic chamber.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cat Hatter posted:

"That's illegal. What you're doing is illegal."

NICE

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/pAr0uqt.mp4

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Stick to the road...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Stay clear of the moors.

[edit is not quote]

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.