Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Okay I'll say it.

I'm tired of the AI generated memes.
the future is endless moon moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

McCracAttack posted:

Okay I'll say it.

Goons? Running things into the ground???

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I am not done giggling at the silly computer nonsense and you are a terrible monster for trying to take away that tiny glimmer of joy in this otherwise horrible world

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Stick vacuums are fine if you don't own a fuckhead animal that sheds but a joke if you do

i had my my cordless dyson when i had 2 shedding dogs (i still have it but 1 of those dogs have passed) and it sucked up dog hair perfectly fine and it was very satisfying to watch the canister fill up

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

McCracAttack posted:

Okay I'll say it.

Best start enjoying them, you're in one lass!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is anyone actually selling smart smart home things nowadays? I know they existed in the 1980s because I'd see advertisements for them, and they worked fine as far as I know.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"All hands, this is the captain. I'm... heading to the kitchen, would anyone... like any lemonade?"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is anyone actually selling smart smart home things nowadays? I know they existed in the 1980s because I'd see advertisements for them, and they worked fine as far as I know.
Sure there's always been new appliances or integration of stuff, but I've never seen anyone lump the older ones in with smart homes.
I thought the smart home stuff was exclusively the 2010's iterations/internet of things, which is still a fad, even though nearly all of it gets bricked in 5 years tops.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Sure there's always been new appliances or integration of stuff, but I've never seen anyone lump the older ones in with smart homes.
I thought the smart home stuff was exclusively the 2010's iterations/internet of things, which is still a fad, even though nearly all of it gets bricked in 5 years tops.

Yeah that's dumb smart homes. I meant ones that are cool and good - does someone still make them?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah that's dumb smart homes. I meant ones that are cool and good - does someone still make them?

Ah gotcha, sadly I think the lovely grift version fully subsumed the old usable stuff. It's a luxury, and the folks able to buy luxury goods are more easily sold on "newest and greatest" than "will work in 30+ years." Besides, you'll have flipped the house for 100% profit before the current nest framework gets bricked, right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I am sure you can still find a bunch of X10 things out there, I think they're still being made

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Shame Boy posted:

I am sure you can still find a bunch of X10 things out there, I think they're still being made

Kompressor made a compelling argument for destroying X10

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/CrawgatorG/status/1536012845514641408

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

X10 is dead

Check out the home automation thread, HomeAssistant, and ZigBee/Z-Wave based devices. No cloud or external services, runs off a PC in your home

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can smart home poo poo just die already?

text editor posted:

X10 is dead

Check out the home automation thread, HomeAssistant, and ZigBee/Z-Wave based devices. No cloud or external services, runs off a PC in your home

How much power is this drawing a day, and is the increase in your electric bill justifiable to avoid walking to the thermostat?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can smart home poo poo just die already?

How much power is this drawing a day, and is the increase in your electric bill justifiable to avoid walking to the thermostat?

I get 1.3Wh to run a zigbee radio in receive for 24 hours, more typical would be to have it in sleep mode for 99% of that time in which case the power consumption with be reduced by 1000.

got change for a penny?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Radio, sure.

How much power is the pc pulling to run it all day?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Radio, sure.

How much power is the pc pulling to run it all day?

an rPi is gonna consume like 2 lifesavers worth of energy every day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PC? for the “server”? even an rpi drawing <5W would be massive overkill. on the device end a cortex m0 is a rounding error on wall current.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think that's where my hangup is, when you say "let a pc run it all day." If something like a raspberry pi can run it, that's a different story than a decade old gaming machine that's been relegated to smart home bullshit. If it's drawing gently caress all, fine, but if it's chewing through $20/mo in power, why not just stand your rear end up and flip a switch manually?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Wrong thread apparently.

Just get a regular electric thermostat you nerds.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think that's where my hangup is, when you say "let a pc run it all day." If something like a raspberry pi can run it, that's a different story than a decade old gaming machine that's been relegated to smart home bullshit. If it's drawing gently caress all, fine, but if it's chewing through $20/mo in power, why not just stand your rear end up and flip a switch manually?

No a Pi can do it, one of those odroid boards can do it, I'm running it off a box doing some other stuff right now but I'm setting up a Pi for backup

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I open and close my windows when I want to change the temperature. Mad?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i have bluetooth connected lights in my bedroom, it lets me set them all the 100% bright so I actually get up in the morning

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i have a conveniently placed switch that turns the lights on or off depending on my needs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i have a conveniently placed switch that turns the lights on or off depending on my needs

I have a funny comedy switch that is wired wrong relative to all the other switches and will turn off all the lights when you try to flip it to the on position everything else uses. It wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't a multi-switch panel that encourages you to just hit all the switches at once with your hand to turn everything off or on.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I just set my apartment on fire if I want light

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i bought an electric kettle that is a very nice kettle and i use it every day, but there's a bluetooth function and i used it for the first time a couple weeks ago and i had to make an account with some site to be able to change a temperature preset

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shear Modulus posted:

i bought an electric kettle that is a very nice kettle and i use it every day, but there's a bluetooth function and i used it for the first time a couple weeks ago and i had to make an account with some site to be able to change a temperature preset

Good news, you've unlocked the always warm feature of your kettle! when it gets hacked and used to mine for bitcoins and ddos attacks

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Loads of "fun" with needlessly internet connected appliances can be found @internetofshit:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1529482897157070849?s=20&t=LcwjcDCsbeNjMXbEIzi64A

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Turambar posted:

Loads of "fun" with needlessly internet connected appliances can be found @internetofshit:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1529482897157070849?s=20&t=LcwjcDCsbeNjMXbEIzi64A

IIRC that account is run by a yosposter too

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My house was built in 1760 with hand sewn logs and boards cut down the road on a water powered sawmill.

The last owners bought it from a guy that was born in the house in 1900 and he's the one that installed indoor plumbing and electricity. We still have the original outhouse that people poo poo in for 200+ years out side.

Because the last owners insulated the gently caress out of the house we have moisture issues and I have been trying to get sensors and fans and poo poo all linked up for a quasi smart house situation and honestly it makes a good outlet for when mania strikes for a few weeks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
As an IT technician, I too cannot wait to plug in some bodged up raspberry pi into my house so I have to spend an hour everyday after getting home just getting to work like it should.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

skooma512 posted:

As an IT technician, I too cannot wait to plug in some bodged up raspberry pi into my house so I have to spend an hour everyday after getting home just getting to work like it should.

be gooder at computers

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

be gooder at computers

Not until someone pays me to.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

skooma512 posted:

Just lurk around in alleyways with a trench coat full of SD cards and when you hear someone muttering about how their fridge keeps glitch and microwaving all the juciero packets they put in there, you can whisper, "psst, need someone to jailbreak your Kenmore?"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1536364712589500424

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i will never disconnect all probes

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1536766843641335808

Someone post that comic about how capitalism will happily commodify even its own critics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Not a comic, but I've been getting some use out of this