Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I would assume it's a crude way of saying take it up an octave with diamonds being fret markers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I have heard arpeggio patterns called diamonds before but that's not the sense I'm getting from the snippet posted

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Most chord charts I've played off of that had diamonds used them to indicate that the note was sustained or vamped until the next phrase.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
What do folks recommend for a bass amp under roughly $500 USD? I'm playing primarily a P bass in a funk/soul three piece, and normally just use our drummer's bass amp that she keeps at the rehearsal space, which is a little Fender Rumble 25. It can keep up if I crank the master, but it adds more distortion than I'd like to my sound. From what I can find online, it seems like the higher wattage Rumbles are the way to go? Ampeg has a few offerings under the 500 range which are tempting, but I'm wondering if anyone here has recommendations in a different direction.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well I guess it's the same direction, but I love my Ampeg Rocket. It's fairly versatile, and the SGT is great if you need it, which I could see in certain funk situations.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

The Dark Wind posted:

What do folks recommend for a bass amp under roughly $500 USD? I'm playing primarily a P bass in a funk/soul three piece, and normally just use our drummer's bass amp that she keeps at the rehearsal space, which is a little Fender Rumble 25. It can keep up if I crank the master, but it adds more distortion than I'd like to my sound. From what I can find online, it seems like the higher wattage Rumbles are the way to go? Ampeg has a few offerings under the 500 range which are tempting, but I'm wondering if anyone here has recommendations in a different direction.

I love my Rumble 500. It can keep up with anything and has pretty good tone control.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah a Rumble is aces. Just did an out door little gig with a Rumble 40 and it didn't let me down. The treble was completely blown out but gently caress it's like the little toaster that could

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I managed to grab a rumble 350 from Craigslist a few years ago for I think 300 and it’s perfect.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 31, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I know it was a rare grab but i really love my ashdown abm500 2x10 combo. Picked it up for 350 off an estate sale. Blendable tube pre, graphic eq, knob eq, comp and the subharmonic generator (which is even footswitchable). Sounds like it'll bring the walls down when you push it a bit. Do some deadlifts first though, i've considered putting casters on it because jeeezus.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh yeah another great thing about Rumbles insanely light for their size

E: call me Mr. Rumbles

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do any of the modern rumbles have the "enhance" mode the early-mid 2000s Bassman amps had?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im so mad
so i bought this sx bass forever ago
and it just never sounded right
like it was so quiet
no gain, couldnt push my amp
thought my amp was busted, ended up buying a preamp pedal
and then i rewired the bass and put new pickups in. no change
then i realized. its gotta be the strings
idk what the gently caress they used for stock strings on this but they just didnt have any output. like theres no ferrous metal in them
just put some slinkys on and it about blew my ears off

so now my sweet rear end 5 with rail pickups and a homebrewed varitone and series/parallel pull pot and phase pull pot with chickenhead knob is a real boy

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 2, 2022

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks for the recommendations y'all! Was about to pull the trigger on a Rumble but then I remembered buying used is a thing, and found a pretty good price on a GK MB 112. All the feedback online was effusive, so I'm excited to see how this thing holds up at the next rehearsal.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I think I might be one of the last remaining GK fan boys. I get bored every few years and buy something else, but ive never not had an 800RB (sometimes as the backup) since 1995. At my worst I had 3 at once.

4 of those have blown, caught fire, or just quietly died. So I know there are some issues there but I just don't care. That's the sound I associate with my bass. I'm interested in the smaller guys but some weird "it just won't be right" has always held me back. Right now my practice amp is a TC electronic 15 combo and it is so boring. I was going to clean up the garage this weekend and the GK might have to come back inside again... which means new cab time (are 1x12s reasonably priced again yet?)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny 290 posted:

im so mad
so i bought this sx bass forever ago
and it just never sounded right
like it was so quiet
no gain, couldnt push my amp
thought my amp was busted, ended up buying a preamp pedal
and then i rewired the bass and put new pickups in. no change
then i realized. its gotta be the strings
idk what the gently caress they used for stock strings on this but they just didnt have any output. like theres no ferrous metal in them
just put some slinkys on and it about blew my ears off

so now my sweet rear end 5 with rail pickups and a homebrewed varitone and series/parallel pull pot and phase pull pot with chickenhead knob is a real boy

how in the world did you not immediately change the strings when you first got it?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ve still got the original strings on my used Broadbass. They are at least three years old now, and I do have another pack. I fully acknowledge your point though and should change them.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 3, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Spanish Manlove posted:

how in the world did you not immediately change the strings when you first got it?

thats like 40 bucks man

(yes yes i know)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm trying to learn Larry Graham's Hair, and I've got all the notes but I'm having a real hard time feeling where the 1 is

Anyone have a good way to feel that song?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The accented pops are on the & of 3 and 4 so they always lead into the downbeat. Subdivide in 8s.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just got a DOD Carcosa Fuzz pedal and I really dig it. So I built myself a tiny pedal board that will fit 3 pedals. I have a compressor, that fuzz, and then I made the mistake of doing some research for what my third pedal should be.

So now I'm looking at building a bigger pedal board.

(I think next will probably be an envelope filter though).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

odiv posted:

Just got a DOD Carcosa Fuzz pedal and I really dig it. So I built myself a tiny pedal board that will fit 3 pedals. I have a compressor, that fuzz, and then I made the mistake of doing some research for what my third pedal should be.

No polytune?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AFewBricksShy posted:

No polytune?

That's what the clip on is for.

Why not a boss gt1 ?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

odiv posted:

With that fuzz and an envelope filter, I'd consider an octave pedal too! Would fit the vibe it sounds like you're going for.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, between the two envelope filter will probably win out for next, but octave is tempting. And then a chorus, oh god.

Maybe I should be looking at something like the BOSS GT-1 before this gets out of hand though.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
https://soundcloud.com/user-525062473/lateralus-instrumental-cover?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

An instrumental cover of Lateralus, with me on bass. It took a few years, but I've finally made a complete recording I'm proud of!

The guitar is played by Cameron Winters, and the drums by John Kew. Both are on YouTube with a lot of Tool covers, and they provide isolated instrumental tracks for projects like this. The internet is so useful for music.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I'm wondering if anyone in the thread would be willing to lend some transcription help? I'm trying to learn a piece and there are some parts that are pretty low register b string stuff with lots of digging in and bebop vocab and I just can't seem to hear it very well. Basically I lose the plot from about 1:45 on.

It's a weird one, but I think pretty fun for any bass enthusiast to play and enjoy.

If no one is down I'll keep trying to hear wtf is going on late in the song and share with the group.

https://open.spotify.com/track/24UxJRpZ9bhdg49QayFbcP?si=-HVlpGiGRXKAGlmkNaeGfA&utm_source=copy-link

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Woah poo poo, activity in the bass thread, guess I should post the conclusion to the Jack Casady Epiphone bass saga: which is to say I returned it and got a refund after another attempt at getting a good one. Both tries had the same problem with the neck curving up too far where it meets the body and it couldn't be compensate for real well at the bridge, and the variable pickup wasn't as dynamic in the second one either.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

odiv posted:

Yeah, between the two envelope filter will probably win out for next, but octave is tempting. And then a chorus, oh god.

Maybe I should be looking at something like the BOSS GT-1 before this gets out of hand though.

I know multi-effects units/processors have come a long way in the last several years, but I still don't think they sound nearly as good as well-made stand-alone pedals.

I've tried out most envelope filters on the market and ended up landing on the Source Audio Spectrum. Try one out if you get a chance, it even has a mode that'll throw an octave down on top of the filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS1qfHfosXg

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Well, I will say, I've asked I think two other times for some transcription assists and...fair enough, it's my job. It can be frustrating sometimes but I'll get thru.

Anyways sorry about the phone quality...an Android is picking up both the monitors and the bass amp in the room so...not idealj, but here are playthrus of the other two songs I asked for some help with back in winter / early spring...

Also the bass was a thread recommendation too and I love it so much. (Brubaker)

I certainly don't get transcriptions spoon fed to me here, which I know is for the best! I appreciate you guys a lot.

Here is July by an Australian band called supathick

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q_puFtK4Jbpu405RenLiPbePMWZsuGEr/view?usp=drivesdk

And Dana McCoy from NYC doing night after night.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QTfQ8OEck1ks2wUQ3SNMEwWnGtCqD2Bi/view?usp=drivesdk

Again, as I asked for help and said at the time I'd share when I got them mostly figured.

Thanks for the encouragement and any criticism to help get gooder is much appreciated.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

I know multi-effects units/processors have come a long way in the last several years, but I still don't think they sound nearly as good as well-made stand-alone pedals.

I've tried out most envelope filters on the market and ended up landing on the Source Audio Spectrum. Try one out if you get a chance, it even has a mode that'll throw an octave down on top of the filter.

I'm a fan of MXR's bass envelope filter. It will produce the classic sounds, and you can finagle up a decent bass synth tone.

I have a pedalboard with discrete effects, but I also have a Zoom B1Xon from a few years ago that I use when I want a quick setup with minimal fuss, or when I just want to do an informal jam. I'm not recording an album with the Zoom, but it sounds surprisingly good. And the dual phaser effect is really fun.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Scarf posted:

That does sound really good! I don't know how much of a use I have for those sounds, but they'd be a ton of fun to just mess around with.

Also, the related C4 synth pedal that he mentions has this amazing moment in the demo (2:30 if it doesn't embed right): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PmNWI44kw&t=150s

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

Well, I will say, I've asked I think two other times for some transcription assists and...fair enough, it's my job. It can be frustrating sometimes but I'll get thru.

Anyways sorry about the phone quality...an Android is picking up both the monitors and the bass amp in the room so...not idealj, but here are playthrus of the other two songs I asked for some help with back in winter / early spring...

Also the bass was a thread recommendation too and I love it so much. (Brubaker)

I certainly don't get transcriptions spoon fed to me here, which I know is for the best! I appreciate you guys a lot.

Here is July by an Australian band called supathick

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q_puFtK4Jbpu405RenLiPbePMWZsuGEr/view?usp=drivesdk

And Dana McCoy from NYC doing night after night.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QTfQ8OEck1ks2wUQ3SNMEwWnGtCqD2Bi/view?usp=drivesdk

Again, as I asked for help and said at the time I'd share when I got them mostly figured.

Thanks for the encouragement and any criticism to help get gooder is much appreciated.

I had time to listen to your first video before work and it sounds good man. Can't vouch for the accuracy of your transcription as I haven't studied the song but to my ears you did well.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Basic Poster posted:

I'm wondering if anyone in the thread would be willing to lend some transcription help? I'm trying to learn a piece and there are some parts that are pretty low register b string stuff with lots of digging in and bebop vocab and I just can't seem to hear it very well. Basically I lose the plot from about 1:45 on.

It's a weird one, but I think pretty fun for any bass enthusiast to play and enjoy.

If no one is down I'll keep trying to hear wtf is going on late in the song and share with the group.

https://open.spotify.com/track/24UxJRpZ9bhdg49QayFbcP?si=-HVlpGiGRXKAGlmkNaeGfA&utm_source=copy-link

I'm not really hearing a whole lot of low B string, if there's any at all. The bass throughout the song seems mostly in the mid range, with occasional fills low or up high. Maybe its the tone that's throwing you off? The high end is rolled off and the bass drum is way boosted which kind of muffles the actual bass.

While this video is obviously not a real-time recording, at least implies he had a four string Stingray around and that sound could easily be achieved with one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSS0DPp6u4

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

odiv posted:

One of us! One of us!

Prepare for your band mates to tell you to shut them all off

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I picked up a Fender Aerodyne bass a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing. I'm playing my first bar gig on Saturday night and I can't wait.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I had time to listen to your first video before work and it sounds good man. Can't vouch for the accuracy of your transcription as I haven't studied the song but to my ears you did well.

You're totally right. I play it on a five and don't need to, but it's my fav bass so...

But after that vid cuts off, and the time I indicated (post 1:45 or so) it has some parts that are kinda chromatic low register, real dug in parts and I am having a hard time hearing it.

But for sure you're right. Anyways, I think that guy is neat. He has some very so so pop tunes for other artists but his instincts are great.

It's like...Tom misch, but there is always another one...right on the heels.

If anyone likes it, I'd also recommend mk.gee

Not strictly bass stuff (although the misch bass player, and Conor Albert do have some great baselines) but extremely neat take on modern RnB bass.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Thanks for the feedback! Very much appreciated. It would be neat to do more feedback generally in the thread rather than getting shredded in yt comments.

It's like that support goon musician thread...but...for this.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone have experience with both USA and Licensed Hipshot Ultralites?

I'm swapping out the hardware on my Lakland 55-02 for black, and while I'd love to upgrade the tuners, $230 just for the tuners is a hard hit.

Just curious if paying double the price of the Licensed tuners is worth it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
(sigh)

I think I'm going to do it. I think I'm going to sell my 20+ year old tube amp rig, the Sunn amp that I got fixed not too long ago.

I'm just a little bit over having an amp that I can almost never turn up past 3 or maybe 4, but still periodically requires upkeep and repair that can cost quite a bit of money. I mean, just re-tubing the power section cost around $300 in the Beforetimes, and now that's between $400 - $500. And those aren't the only parts that will eventually wear out on a tube amp. It sounds great, but it's heavy, huge, requires a backup amp to be brought "just in case" (I found this out the hard way several years ago), and for a guy like me who's in a dad band that plays covers at local bars, it's just way more trouble than it's worth.

My plan is to sell it and both cabinets (the 4×10 w/ a horn, and the 2×15), and use the proceeds to get a Rumble 500 with a 15" extension cabinet. I love my Rumble 100, but I miss having the tweeter; the tweeter brings out the distortion, fuzz, and to some degree the octave effects that I enjoy in some songs. Also, the Rumble is the only amp I've played besides my Sunn that I could make do with if I forgot to bring my pedalboard to a gig. It sounds good to my ears, and I never get complaints.

Hell, my guitarist wishes Fender made a dedicated guitar version of the Rumble, partially because of how good the tone is on its own, and partially because the biggest one they make is so light that you have to weigh it down to keep it from flying away. And I'm not going to lie--the fact that these amps are light is also one reason I'm really considering doing this.

I'd also probably sell my Ampeg head. It's a Class-D that I would bring as a backup to my main rig.

I have been able to play all of our gigs with my Rumble 100 since I started using it in the gigs where we had very limited space to set up in. It's plenty loud enough, and in the rare occasions where it isn't, it goes into the PA for a boost.

Am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

:sever: