Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I really would like to get an E-Bike at some point since they seem super-nifty. Unfortunately I'm currently in an area where one would be completely pointless (Everything I need to get to is in walking distance, and everything farther than that is too far/too hilly for a reasonable bike ride anyway), but depending on what the situation at the next place I work at is, I'm definitely tempted to invest in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

suck my dick u fuckman Vegas is fine for bikes

Drink water and move more. 4/5 of the year, the weather is perfect for cycling.

non-riders deciding what's not "worth it" like that fucks things up in the long run and I truly resent it when they close a bus/bike lane to make traffic still poo poo.

even if you assume that 4/5 of the year it's fine (love me some 110 F weather) that still leaves a significant chunk of the year where, uh, i guess you just teleport poo poo to/from home i guess. nevermind that you can't exactly carry a large load of groceries on a bike

like having lived here for 32 years, gently caress biking in vegas. and also, gently caress vegas

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just be aware that, in general, all-terrain tires will still perform worse than winter tires in conditions where you need winter tires. If you actually use your all-terrain tires for what they were made for, you're getting a lot of payoff vs. regular tires, but due to the very nature of them, there's a massive downside to them during winter conditions in the environments where they were not meant to excel at, namely paved roads. If you're in a region where there's a risk of icy roads/additional snowfall in the winter, all-terrain tires may actually perform worse than all-season tires due to their tread pattern and tread composition.

Honestly at the rate I drive, it'll be two years before I buy tires anyhow, and depends on a few other factors. Looking at lighter duty all terrain because it's still just an Outback and I don't want/need 305/75s, just like, 235/65x16".

If I buy land and build here, it'll be off a dirt road carved from sand. If I buy a Scamp and gently caress off to BLM land, they'd be beneficial. But if I gently caress off to Montana or north in general, straight winter tires.

We got 18 inches of snow all winter and spring combined here this year. The year before was 42 inches. Starting to wonder how much water will be here in a decade anyhow. When snow stops falling on the San Juans, the Rio Grande is truly hosed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

I'm currently on All-Seasons and I switch to Winters for the winter because lol they're terrible on a RWD car in snowy conditions. All-Seasons are only good up into light slush, anything worse than that and they might as well be racing slicks. On winters, I'd have to drive like a loving idiot to have any major trouble.

And conversely the improved ride quality and longevity of a proper summer touring tire over an all-season is something you can never give up once you've experienced it. All-season is a compromise on every front, somewhat mediocre to bad at everything.

Long term it costs more money. Splitting winter/summer tires on separate wheel sets means both sets last longer since the compounds are better fit for the thermal conditions. Like all-seasons may be good for 50k, a good summer tire is 80k, and a good winter tire will do 40k (the much softer compound is what gives you snow performance that actually works, but comes at the cost of overall tire life). Most people don't have the funds to buy a second full set of wheels and tires, nor storage to keep them in the off season. Its a very american problem where we're so car centric but the people who most need the car for commuting are often the same group who has to scrimp on upkeep to make ends meet.

e; Duzzy, being a tire scientist, will probably be way more on the ball with mileage guestimates.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 13, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zamujasa posted:

even if you assume that 4/5 of the year it's fine (love me some 110 F weather) that still leaves a significant chunk of the year where, uh, i guess you just teleport poo poo to/from home i guess. nevermind that you can't exactly carry a large load of groceries on a bike

like having lived here for 32 years, gently caress biking in vegas. and also, gently caress vegas

There are ways to do things and stay cool. I commuted 9 miles each way on bike from September-May and hit only a handful of days that were unbearable; mostly I bailed due to wind. And just because you're Walmart Huffy didn't have racks doesn't mean they don't come with those either.

An e-bike is way different - you're going loving 25+ with minimal pedaling effort.

Casulo Electric Mountain Bike 26'' Road Touring Bikes for Adult, Electric Commuter Bicycle for Men, 350W Trekking e-Bike Bicycle for Adult Hybrid Road e Bike with 36V/10.4Ah Removable Battery https://a.co/d/193wfKw

loving motorcyclists still exist in Las Vegas without any additional infrastructure.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Die, crypto, die.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 13, 2022

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

There are ways to do things and stay cool. I commuted 9 miles each way on bike from September-May

no kidding, huh.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Surprised not to see this posted here:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1536348674330136576

Of course, maybe that’s because the Washington Post sensationalized the hell out of it over this weekend.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1536129205305495553

TL;DR: Ethicist believes Google chatbot development AI is sentient. Is likely wrong.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well at least we don’t have to hand it to him.

Apologies if this joke is like three page late

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thwomp posted:

TL;DR: Ethicist believes Google chatbot development AI is sentient. Is likely wrong.

He’s so wrong.

The transcripts are edited and still incoherent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cops definitely killed a kid:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1536334422990934016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zamujasa posted:

Ebikes can carry a lot of cargo and you don't even really have to pedal or anything. You can get ones where the pedals are basically just there as a formality if you want. If you can use a motorcycle and it's not a long distance highway speed commute than an e-bike can be an attractive alternative.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

One easy trick to pass the turing test; so easy! completely brokebrained asocial nerds overseeing turing tests hate it!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Charging EVs still sucks for a lot of people, especially in urban areas. If you own a house, awesome, no worries, you can order up a higher amp service and have a 240V 30A circuit run into your garage. Those of us who live in apartment buildings because a townhouse an hour from work costs a million dollars in the adamantium housing bubble will always have to find some charging station somewhere that isn't in use and pay whatever the charging station owner's set their rates to.

This is like the only reason why I don't own an EV yet. It would make sense in every single way, apart from the fact that keeping it charged up would be a giant pain in the rear end, and just lol @ the thought of my landlord investing in any kind of EV charging infrastructure out on the parking lot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/binance/status/1536337218180104192?s=21&t=4nDEDTMs-eXtDhoJV0cJjQ

lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

given the fact it's texas, what's the chance of the footage being suppressed? 100%?

That Works posted:

Ebikes can carry a lot of cargo and you don't even really have to pedal or anything. You can get ones where the pedals are basically just there as a formality if you want. If you can use a motorcycle and it's not a long distance highway speed commute than an e-bike can be an attractive alternative.

my point is just that there are a lot of "if"s involved in an ebike being a useful replacement over an actual car. if you can check all the boxes and it works out for you, great.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A cargo bike is also great for large grocery hauls, plus you can take the kids for a ride to the park or to school in it. Anecdotal evidence, but I hear kids get a lot more enjoyment out of the bike ride than being swaddled in an SUV.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

They might discover our one weakness, being cowardly bullies!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At this point I can’t rule out that the cops killed all the kids

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

HOLDING YOU FUCKS ACCOUNTABLE IS THE POINT

RELEASE THE GODDAMN VIDEO

E: wow way to do me dirty, cellphone keyboard

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

How will they safely wait outside the next time a bunch of children are getting executed if we show everyone the elite tactical skills of the Uvalde PD? Have some respect for our heroes

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I hope every single one of those parents gets independent, outside forensics done. Those fuckers are covering up something and I wouldn't trust anybody in the entire state to not have some kind of suspect connections or be pressured somehow.

The most disgusting part to say/think is that recent history gives rock solid proof that even if they had gunned down children they would 100% absolutely get away with it, zero punishments. The legal system wouldn't even bat an eye at murdered children, and then spin up a few segments on Fox hero worshiping them for the suffering they had to endure while doing it and THE RADICAL FAR LEFT IS ATTACKING US then bam, half the country would worship them as saints.

So why bother with all this poo poo?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zamujasa posted:

no kidding, huh.

The cradle of civilization has been continuously inhabitated for millennia and has been hot as gently caress. Seriously.

It also makes cities hotter when you add more car based architecture and air conditioning. Stop discouraging alternative ways of living within the environment you CHOSE TO LIVE IN.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

The cradle of civilization has been continuously inhabitated for millennia and has been hot as gently caress. Seriously.

It also makes cities hotter when you add more car based architecture and air conditioning. Stop discouraging alternative ways of living within the environment you CHOSE TO LIVE IN.

Thanks Obama and especially Reid for stopping any developing on the Yucca Mountain project!

Seriously they absolutely deserve to get poo poo for that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I used to bike commute in DC and the ride home in the summer was often low 90s with lol humidity, so a dry 81 in October doesn't seem that bad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sorry I got defensive. I care and I'm stressed about the environment and have a 40 mile commute now because my job moved and I don't have infrastructure to make it there by even e-bike in a reasonable time, so I'm paying 100 a week to drive to a job I can do from home.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry I got defensive. I care and I'm stressed about the environment and have a 40 mile commute now because my job moved and I don't have infrastructure to make it there by even e-bike in a reasonable time, so I'm paying 100 a week to drive to a job I can do from home.

That happened to me last year. All I did was answer help desk emails.

Of course we all had to be back in the building which meant a 1.25 he commute and paid parking.

It sucks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Man, I would've considered a Tesla for my next car after I saw a friend drive hers with her finger a couple years ago but, between Musk's general douchebaggery and now this? :yikes:

My wife’s ‘22 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a system good enough to pilot itself on any road with a center line. It’s best on the highway and I don’t use it a ton, but semi autonomous driving is not just a Tesla thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

davecrazy posted:

My wife’s ‘22 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a system good enough to pilot itself on any road with a center line. It’s best on the highway and I don’t use it a ton, but semi autonomous driving is not just a Tesla thing.

The difference is they don't SELL its as 'self-driving' they sell it as driver assistance.

Tesla straight up says "It'll drive itself"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I mean you can yell at me about bikes or whatever but I’m never moving into the loving city and that means I have a serious commute. I never got the point in lashing out at people over individual environmental decisions, if it’s even realistic for people to make them. I meticulously sort my trash and recycling and it turns out it’s all just collected and dumped in the ocean anyway.

poo poo like this:

quote:

Renewlogy’s equipment could not process plastic “films” such as cling wrap, as promised, Boise’s Materials Management Program Manager Peter McCullough told Reuters. The city remains in the recycling program, he said, but its plastic now meets a low-tech end: It’s being trucked to a cement plant northeast of Salt Lake City that burns it for fuel.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/environment-plastic-oil-recycling/

It would probably be better to bury it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Real, usable, dense public transit and vertical development are required for any meaningful auto reduction in most places. Jumping straight to "ride a bike" is putting the cart before the horse. Of course we'll never get that, but expending a ton of effort to get maybe 1% of people to convert to a bike lifestyle won't do anything either.

Telling people in hot, humid climes that they should bike everywhere will get you precisely nowhere as long as societal norms look unfavorably upon showing up to your white-collar office job (or just about anything) stinky and drenched in sweat.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

Your first mistake is thinking that I chose to live here, where my rent has gone from $1200 when I moved in to over $1900 now, or that I continued wanting to live here when my job moved from being in the center of Henderson to the rear end end of the valley because it was better for the boss's kid.

I hate living here and I would love to move the gently caress out, unfortunately the terms of my lease turbofuck me if I break it.

e: and I was busy going through hell when my renewal came around and couldn't spare the time or money to figure out how the gently caress to get out of this hellhole.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

M_Gargantua posted:

And conversely the improved ride quality and longevity of a proper summer touring tire over an all-season is something you can never give up once you've experienced it. All-season is a compromise on every front, somewhat mediocre to bad at everything.

Long term it costs more money. Splitting winter/summer tires on separate wheel sets means both sets last longer since the compounds are better fit for the thermal conditions. Like all-seasons may be good for 50k, a good summer tire is 80k, and a good winter tire will do 40k (the much softer compound is what gives you snow performance that actually works, but comes at the cost of overall tire life). Most people don't have the funds to buy a second full set of wheels and tires, nor storage to keep them in the off season. Its a very american problem where we're so car centric but the people who most need the car for commuting are often the same group who has to scrimp on upkeep to make ends meet.

e; Duzzy, being a tire scientist, will probably be way more on the ball with mileage guestimates.

You're pretty much on the money with all of that. The mileage estimates may vary depending on brand/type/user profile, but the comparison is absolutely accurate.

Just two things: The cost of having a separate set of tires is completely outweighed by the cost of replacing one all-season set much more frequently in almost every possible case. In most countries, even repeatedly mounting and centering two sets of tires on one set of wheels each season is considerably cheaper. (Disclaimer: yes, dis-mounting and re-mounting tires affects their performance over lifetime, but you're not going to notice the difference unless you're running Nürburgring-tier performance trials in a high-end vehicle, and even then, the functional tire characteristics the normal consumer cares about are not going to be affected)

So it essentially boils down to "do you have room to store an extra set, but prefer all-season tires? If so, you're always trading off safety for convenience" in all cases save for the niche ones like Minge's case.

The other thing is more of a "journalistic integrity thing", because while I will always advocate for having the right tires for the right season, all-season tires aren't as horrifyingly-bad as they used to be. Due to legal regulations and straight-up capitalism, tire manufacturers have been dumping a ton of cash into their development over the past ten years (primarily to serve the US market as OEMs while not hurting the fleet emission goals of car manufacturers employing their products), and their performance-improvement has come a long way.

The gap to the performance of season-specific tires is never going to be closed due to simple physics/chemistry, so it'll always remain a tradeoff of safety vs. convenience.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 13, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Would I be better off buying a second set of wheels so I can do the switch at home, or should I keep paying like $60 twice a year to have the tires switched and installed?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FrozenVent posted:

Would I be better off buying a second set of wheels so I can do the switch at home, or should I keep paying like $60 twice a year to have the tires switched and installed?

Both of those options are cheaper than replacing a uniseasonal set of tires more frequently due to their life span. Especially if switching and mounting tires once per season only costs you sixty bucks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah four season tires aren’t an option due to regulations so it’s either own two sets of wheels and replace myself, or one sit of wheels and have them mounted / unmounted yearly

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is why I bit on CrossClimate 2s when I had the chance. They're "all-season" but they also have that "Three Peak" symbol for winter weather.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
given that i have the space and money i'd have winters on a set of cheap steel rims so if you eat a curb you're out $75 for a rim and not whatever the price of your regular rims are

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

All season tires are a corporate scam even if you live in the tiny band of states where they would technically be fine.

Uhhh.. I only ever needed different season tires when I lived in parts of the U.S. with “real” winters. I live in the south now, and all seasons are ok? I mean the southeast U.S. is a large area, not really a tiny band.

Or have I just been lucky for all these decades and should be changing tires seasonally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Want to save money on winter tires? Move to socal. I save at least 100 per year by not having to switch tires. Just ignore the taxes, rent, insurance, and everything else. Bing, bong, so simple!