Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
bitfinex doesn't cash out into USD because they don't want to be connected to US financial regs, so they give you tethers that you have to take to another exchange to turn them into real money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
another exchange that is totally unrelated and not at all the same people wearing the fakest of mustaches

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

^^^ok, well if it's on-margin then the cash still doesn't exist, right? Like 1/10th of the cash exists?

Neito posted:

Bitfinex is basically putting numbers in a database with nothing backing them. So yeah, they're just not going to let you cash out. So you have "10,000 USD" but really you have $5 and an IOU for the other 9,995. At best.

so here is what I think bitfinexed is saying is going on, based on how margin loans work and what (little) i know about bitfinex.

so first you need to understand what a secured loan is: i lend you money, you give me collateral. if you don't pay me back (you default), I own the collateral. this is much easier than the solution for an unsecured loan: I sue you, and spend a while trying to force you to pay me. the collateral is usually worth noticably more than the loan, so I'm sure when i sell it, i get all my money back. the most common example is a mortgage: you don't pay your mortgage, I own your house.

a margin loan is a secured loan with a security (or here, crypto). this is a kind of bad secured loan because the collateral can drop significantly in value. as a result, it is standard for a margin loan to have a system where if the collateral drops enough in value, that is a default unless you put up more collateral: i.e. then own your securities, even if you have been paying me.

now, the real trick you may be thinking of is you can use the stock you are buying as part of the security. so i want to buy a share of microsoft, it costs $200, i can get a margin loan against that microsoft share to get the money to buy it. obviously nobody's lending me the full $200. but perhaps someone lends me $150, and I put up $50. if the share goes up, i get all the gains - so i get 4x as much. if it drops, i suffer all the losses too - so I lose 4x as much. if it drops to, say, $170 the share probably gets sold before it hits the $150.

that's all background you have to understand. the key thing though is, if you are buying on margin, someone put up the rest of the money. it didn't come from thin air.

bitfinex offers margin loans, and it gets the cash from people who deposit Actual Dollars at bitfinex. if you have $1,000 sitting there, they say "hey you can earn free money, tick this box" and then they use your $1,000 to fund margin loans. now, this should be relatively risk-free - if crypto is collapsing, bitfinex seizes the collateral (you should have, like, $1,500 worth) and sells it before you take a loss and gives you your $1000 back.

but what bitfinexed is saying they're doing is, basically, not taking and liquidating the collateral. they're letting the margin loans ride. goldman sachs would never let you do this because they don't give a gently caress about the price of microsoft stock. they may be long, they may be short, on microsoft but institutionally they do not care, they just want their money. but bitfinex does care, it cares a lot. any crypto business inherently is long on crypto because otherwise they don't have a business. so bitfinex is letting people get short on collateral without calling their loans and letting people buy more bitcoins on margin with insufficient collateral. bitfinex is doing this to try and support the price of bitcoin.

if this works, the lenders never notice. but if it doesn't, you thought you had $1,000 in real money in bitfinex. you will wake up to find you have no money. you have crypto collateral. and if bitfinex declares a default and gives you your collateral, they probably won't sell it for you (they don't want to hurt the price of bitcoin). they'll just tell you surprise, you now own $800 worth of bitcoin, sell it yourself. sorry, now $700. sorry, actually you have a shitcoin that went to zero.

your money will have gone to the people who sold their crypto and got the money out of bitfinex. bitfinex, assuming they didn't loan their own money, will be fine. they used your money, not theirs, to try and prop up the price.

(all of this applies equally if you thought you had tether or some other "stablecoin" instead of Real Money)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

Laffs are soon going to surge to an all time high. I can feel it! WAGLAI
weird way to spell Waluigi but ok

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

at the end of the day the big risk everyone ignored in all these dumb crypto financial things is that if you are lending real money against crypto, you are doing so with a business that is long crypto. they have to be: they're a crypto business. crypto goes to $0, they don't have a business, even if the business only generated real money and they didn't buy any crypto (and of course, they did buy crypto).

so when crypto stuff copied Real Finance ways of lending against securities, they forgot that banks just care about getting paid and they will call your loan the instant they feel insecure (even if its their client's money, not theirs). they will not let it ride because they don't want to hurt the stock. but a crypto company absolutely will let loans ride rather than liquidate collateral because if they liquidate collateral and depress prices, that hurts them.

also personally hurts all their exec's crypto "portfolios"

this is why, probably, celsius (which seems to do the same thing: make loans secured by crypto) suddenly is "halting" withdrawals

edit: also I really don't understand how the graphs bitfinexed supports his claim to know someone's buying that much bitcoin on margin, i'm just assuming that is true - but I don't know it to be true as opposed to him just misreading a graph.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 13, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
crashcoin

Caros
May 14, 2008

Has anyone suggested a DFDIC yet? It seems the next logical step.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

it's bitcoincrash:argh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evilweasel posted:

at the end of the day the big risk everyone ignored in all these dumb crypto financial things is that if you are lending real money against crypto, you are doing so with a business that is long crypto. they have to be: they're a crypto business. crypto goes to $0, they don't have a business, even if the business only generated real money and they didn't buy any crypto (and of course, they did buy crypto).
people will ignore literally anything as long as number goes up and will definitely overstate the charm and how wonderful the community was as it collapses because it makes them sound like less of a rube

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Caros posted:

we regret to inform you that the dfdic was a scam

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boxturret posted:

it's bitcoincrash:argh:

I'm seeing this but hearing the Bitconnect guy screaming "Bitcoincrash!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

we regret to inform you that the dfdic was a scam

DFDIC 2.0

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Caros posted:

DFDIC 2.0

in the event of a bank run, insurance funds will be minted and airdropped to your wallet address

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Caros posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CommieGIR posted:

I'm seeing this but hearing the Bitconnect guy screaming "Bitcoincrash!"

Bitdisconnect.

Caros
May 14, 2008

coelomate posted:

in the event of a bank run, insurance funds will be minted and airdropped to your wallet address

a lotta y'all still don't get it.

account holders can use multiple fdic's on a single account

So if you have one bank account and 3 fdic's you can insure up to three new accounts

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
astral please do the needful and make thread titles use images

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Be your own bank run!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

so here is what I think bitfinexed is saying is going on, based on how margin loans work and what (little) i know about bitfinex.

so first you need to understand what a secured loan is: i lend you money, you give me collateral. if you don't pay me back (you default), I own the collateral. this is much easier than the solution for an unsecured loan: I sue you, and spend a while trying to force you to pay me. the collateral is usually worth noticably more than the loan, so I'm sure when i sell it, i get all my money back. the most common example is a mortgage: you don't pay your mortgage, I own your house.

a margin loan is a secured loan with a security (or here, crypto). this is a kind of bad secured loan because the collateral can drop significantly in value. as a result, it is standard for a margin loan to have a system where if the collateral drops enough in value, that is a default unless you put up more collateral: i.e. then own your securities, even if you have been paying me.

now, the real trick you may be thinking of is you can use the stock you are buying as part of the security. so i want to buy a share of microsoft, it costs $200, i can get a margin loan against that microsoft share to get the money to buy it. obviously nobody's lending me the full $200. but perhaps someone lends me $150, and I put up $50. if the share goes up, i get all the gains - so i get 4x as much. if it drops, i suffer all the losses too - so I lose 4x as much. if it drops to, say, $170 the share probably gets sold before it hits the $150.

that's all background you have to understand. the key thing though is, if you are buying on margin, someone put up the rest of the money. it didn't come from thin air.

bitfinex offers margin loans, and it gets the cash from people who deposit Actual Dollars at bitfinex. if you have $1,000 sitting there, they say "hey you can earn free money, tick this box" and then they use your $1,000 to fund margin loans. now, this should be relatively risk-free - if crypto is collapsing, bitfinex seizes the collateral (you should have, like, $1,500 worth) and sells it before you take a loss and gives you your $1000 back.

but what bitfinexed is saying they're doing is, basically, not taking and liquidating the collateral. they're letting the margin loans ride. goldman sachs would never let you do this because they don't give a gently caress about the price of microsoft stock. they may be long, they may be short, on microsoft but institutionally they do not care, they just want their money. but bitfinex does care, it cares a lot. any crypto business inherently is long on crypto because otherwise they don't have a business. so bitfinex is letting people get short on collateral without calling their loans and letting people buy more bitcoins on margin with insufficient collateral. bitfinex is doing this to try and support the price of bitcoin.

if this works, the lenders never notice. but if it doesn't, you thought you had $1,000 in real money in bitfinex. you will wake up to find you have no money. you have crypto collateral. and if bitfinex declares a default and gives you your collateral, they probably won't sell it for you (they don't want to hurt the price of bitcoin). they'll just tell you surprise, you now own $800 worth of bitcoin, sell it yourself. sorry, now $700. sorry, actually you have a shitcoin that went to zero.

your money will have gone to the people who sold their crypto and got the money out of bitfinex. bitfinex, assuming they didn't loan their own money, will be fine. they used your money, not theirs, to try and prop up the price.

(all of this applies equally if you thought you had tether or some other "stablecoin" instead of Real Money)

Thank you, this made a lot more sense of it for me

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

vortmax posted:

bitfinex doesn't cash out into USD because they don't want to be connected to US financial regs, so they give you tethers that you have to take to another exchange to turn them into real money

It's like a loving pachinko parlor where you get little Tchotchke for your pachinko balls that you can go sell down the street to the "separate" and "independent" booth that buys them for whatever amount of money.

(Unless that's not a real thing and just some dumb thing I made up half-remembered from an article)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Don't remember seeing this little tidbit but maybe it got lost in the tide of lols

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Neito posted:

isn't this fractional reserve banking, the very thing many coiners rally against?

this time its fictional reserve banking

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gschmidl posted:

Don't remember seeing this little tidbit but maybe it got lost in the tide of lols

Its hilarious because this maroon actually believes they are fighting traditional finance rather than playing right into their hands.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

know how this thread likes to quip that the cryptocurrency ecosystem is speedrunning the history of banking and financing? well, it's moving so fast now that we're mashing together a mid-1800s "wildcat banks that have barrels of rocks with a layer of gold sprinkled on top" type of scam situation with a 1930s "oops all of the banks were too undercollateralized and illiquid" bank-run kind of situation. it's fractional fictional reserve banking.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

today's money stuff newsletter (https://newsletterhunt.com/newsletters/money-stuff-by-matt-levine) has some good stuff on celsius

such as, it borrowed $500 million from tether, which according to tether's own claimed financials would make tether undercollateralized if it could not be repaid

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
pfff that's only half a billion

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FCKGW posted:

Be your own bank run!

grifting peter to pay paul

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's cool, i hear tether just found like a billion in the couch cushions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also that celsius was paying out 17% interest rates which means it was less a dumb collateralized loan thing and more an "open and notorious ponzi scheme" thing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
17%? and you call that a ponzi scheme? if you're not in the three digits per month you can get outta here

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
reminder that there are over 70 billion tethers in circulation

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
'circulation'

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FAUXTON posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Serious Hardware/Software Crap › YOSPOS › buttcoin: fictional reserve banking

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I like how 150% of tethers """"market cap"""" was traded in the last 24 hours.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i like how tether has still not recovered to 1.000 since april and nobody seems to mind

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CommieGIR posted:

Its hilarious because this maroon actually believes they are fighting traditional finance rather than playing right into their hands.

Also Tradfri is an IKEA smart bulb.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Neito posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Serious Hardware/Software Crap › YOSPOS › buttcoin: fictional reserve banking

It was that at one point but it's an evergreen.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I might have missed this posted, but big lols for me. Celsius is freezing withdrawals and transfers, so users that have loans to Celsius cannot make their payments to Celsius from Celsius. They're complaining that their collateral will be liquidated. lol

https://twitter.com/flyingspoon8891/status/1536188673255002113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Gazpacho posted:

i like how tether has still not recovered to 1.000 since april and nobody seems to mind

if 0.9999999...=1, then surely 0.99=1? Perhaps, eventually, we'll come to learn that 0=1.