Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/SimplyDCA/status/1536267325476937728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Loan Liquidation Confirmation

lol, I'm trying to think of the person who did become unbanked to get their funds frozen and their collateral stolen. Some kind of findom situation? Maybe bitcoin is good? (for findom fetishes?)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

lol you got out from under all those pesky, burdensome regulations. congrats!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: This is not the reason I unbanked myself.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

*puts fingers in ears*

"because you have not responded to our previous communications all your money is now gone"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
big post-it at every shitcoin venture: "use the word 'community' lots in every official communication"

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1536418479271731203

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
drag these fuckers into bankruptcy court already

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

this time its fictional reserve banking

buttcoin: fictional reserve banking

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
theres got to be some principle in law that you can't seize or convert someone's collateral for a missed payment that you prevented yourself

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

theres got to be some principle in law that you can't seize or convert someone's collateral for a missed payment that you prevented yourself

maybe, but there's also a law in mathematics that means if you don't seize their collateral and the market is crashing you're going to be in big trouble

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gazpacho posted:

code is law
ć̙̮̳̗͉͉̗o̢l̙͉̫̮̗e̖̯͈͟ ͇͝i̖͎̤s̰̪͔̳̻͎ ͇̖̩s̝͎͎͙̹̼ḻ̠̘͉̬a̷̤̺̩w̠̰̼͚̰̲

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

Gazpacho posted:

drag these fuckers into bankruptcy court already

eagerly anticipating a story of someone successfully suing Celsius to reverse such a liquidation, but then their newly-restored balance gets treated like an unsecured creditor rather than a depositor and they get kicked to the back of the bankruptcy line and still get nothing

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

our finest plumbers are working on the pipes, don't worry your money is fine

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1536385724693458944

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Boxturret posted:

if you click the link

quote:

"This transaction was first broadcast to the Bitcoin network on June 12, 2022 at 11:18 PM PDT. The transaction is currently unconfirmed by the network. At the time of this transaction, 27.58885356 BTC was sent with a value of $698,196.67. The current value of this transaction is now $640,326.53. Learn more about how transactions work.'

oof loss of $58K in value during the time to confirm. lol

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

can someone who understands bitcoin explain to me how a transaction could possibly be "stuck"?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

can someone who understands bitcoin explain to me how a transaction could possibly be "stuck"?
https://twitter.com/dril/status/654611156116598784

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I never thought that I would one day see a "shitter's full" excuse for an exchange outage/withdrawal freeze, cryptocurrency truly is a driver of innovation

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1536419499313881088

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Bone Crimes posted:

if you click the link

oof loss of $58K in value during the time to confirm. lol

lmao it's $59k now :eyepop:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Chalks posted:

If you don't pay miners enough the transaction basically gets stuck indefinitely in queue waiting to be included in a block. This can be really confusing to new users since without some fiddling it'll block any further transactions. Totally understandable that this fellow is having trouble since he's probably never done this before.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1536416132168568834

is this guy bragging about how great their intern team is when the problem is still ongoing hours later and the price has crashed like 15%?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

novamute posted:

If you don't pay miners enough the transaction basically gets stuck indefinitely in queue waiting to be included in a block. This can be really confusing to new users since without some fiddling it'll block any further transactions. Totally understandable that this fellow is having trouble since he's probably never done this before.

doesn't that sort of poo poo happen all the time? i assume everyone is basically trying to guess the minimum the miners will accept in fees so a bunch of people are going to guess too low all the time. presumably it's easy to fix with something less drastic than suspending your entire exchange for 3+ hours?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chalks posted:

doesn't that sort of poo poo happen all the time? i assume everyone is basically trying to guess the minimum the miners will accept in fees so a bunch of people are going to guess too low all the time. presumably it's easy to fix with something less drastic than suspending your entire exchange for 3+ hours?

“but credit card fees!” I say as my transaction loses x% of value because I was trying to save five bucks

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Chalks posted:

Yes this happens constantly and the biggest crypto exchange in the world is probably dealing with this at least a few times a week. It should not be a drawn out process just because their CEO was on a plane

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the ceo is the only one allowed to touch the golden plunger so everyone else was using their hands

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

it's not so much the devastating incompetence i'm surprised by, but rather that the "ceo" would talk about it so casually on twitter as if it was an understandable issue to have.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's probably just an excuse to have the router unplugged

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Chalks posted:

it's not so much the devastating incompetence i'm surprised by, but rather that the "ceo" would talk about it so casually on twitter as if it was an understandable issue to have.

the ceo is talking about it casually on twitter in order to make it seem like an understandable issue to have. there would be a panic if he didn't offer up any explanation, he can't offer the real explanation (deliberately shutting down to avoid a bank run), so his only option is a "technical issues" explanation. cheerfully hinting at the incompetence of interns is far less problematic than the real explanation.

so yes your bewilderment is entirely reasonable, but you are not the audience for these tweets, the existing customers and true believers are. they'll take any story that lets them continue to believe that they haven't been conned.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ofnumbers/status/1021225547764936707

He was a few years early.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chalks posted:

everything totally cool and normal, the only liquidity crisis i'm having is the goddamn minibar on my private jet! ahaha

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blotto_Otter posted:

the ceo is talking about it casually on twitter in order to make it seem like an understandable issue to have. there would be a panic if he didn't offer up any explanation, he can't offer the real explanation (deliberately shutting down to avoid a bank run), so his only option is a "technical issues" explanation. cheerfully hinting at the incompetence of interns is far less problematic than the real explanation.

so yes your bewilderment is entirely reasonable, but you are not the audience for these tweets, the existing customers and true believers are. they'll take any story that lets them continue to believe that they haven't been conned.

yeah, iirc binance is the largest exchange so they definitely have a reason to act like its all cool brahs

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I love this gif

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chalks posted:

remember that in the bitcoin ecosystem making one tiny mistake with a transaction can result in permanently and irrecoverably vaporizing all the money involved

so when they have a bug with their transaction handling it makes sense that they would stop and take some time to diligently test their fix instead of yolo pushing to prod

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

p sure this person unbanked themself because they're a brothel

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

remember that in the bitcoin ecosystem making one tiny mistake with a transaction can result in permanently and irrecoverably vaporizing all the money involved

so when they have a bug with their transaction handling it makes sense that they would stop and take some time to diligently test their fix instead of yolo pushing to prod

in this case (with a tx in the mempool but not yet confirmed) is there even anything you can do about it other than hope it goes through or times out? god forbid you sent another transaction and double-spend, or even more laffo do that but then both transactions go through

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Zamujasa posted:

in this case (with a tx in the mempool but not yet confirmed) is there even anything you can do about it other than hope it goes through or times out? god forbid you sent another transaction and double-spend, or even more laffo do that but then both transactions go through

Yeah

https://bitcoinops.org/en/topics/cpfp/
https://bitcoinops.org/en/topics/replace-by-fee/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

evilweasel posted:

so here is what I think bitfinexed is saying is going on, based on how margin loans work and what (little) i know about bitfinex.

youre being r/td on the tooter op fyi

https://twitter.com/LizRummy/status/1536422622287773696