Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So this is a bit of an oddball one: back in the early 1990s, I was in the service and stationed in the UK. A buddy and I were both big music buffs and we still had record players (this was back when vinyl LPs and singles had long fallen out of fashion and well before the "boutique" vinyl industry had even begun to sprout up), so on occasion we'd stop in to a store that sold used records in the British town not far from where our base was. Usually we'd go there looking for a specific thing (they had everything from classic funk to the neckbeardiest prog to the hardest crustpunk/grindcore you could think of), but sometimes if a record was cheap enough, we'd grab it purely for novelty value if it looked like it'd be worth a few chuckles.

My friend was big into funk, R&B, and hip-hop/rap, and one day he came across a record for like £1 that he grabbed purely because he couldn't stop laughing at it. As I recall, the cover featured an elderly black man in the standard hip-hop gear of the 1980s: Adidas shoes and tracksuit and a Kangol hat, with his arms folded and striking a typical "rap" pose against a red background (the back cover had him in the same outfit, but striking a radically different pose, with one thumb in his mouth and one apparently in his rear end). The liner notes claimed he was the first ever rapper, way back in the 1950s or 1960s, and apparently he'd decided to cut a whole new set of tracks. Imagine if you took like the subjects of an old Redd Foxx standup routine, and made it a rap song. Just the filthiest, crudest poo poo that'd make Dolemite blush. I don't remember his name, or the name of the album, but I do remember one of the tracks was called "Baby Fat", which I'm sure is as crude as I remember it being.

I'm interested in finding it, even on YouTube or whatever, purely for comedy value. I remember my friend took it home, played it, and came back by my place the next day asking if I could hold on to it for him because, and I quote, "I can't have this in my house with my kids". I forget if he ever got it back or if it just got lost when I ended up moving back to the US about a year later. But I remember that particular thing every so often, not for the quality of the music, but for how we'd occasionally drink a couple of beers and laugh our asses off listening to it.

I searched every music database I could find and nothing is matching for the song "Baby Fat" with that type of artist. Are you sure that was the name of the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Blooster posted:

I searched every music database I could find and nothing is matching for the song "Baby Fat" with that type of artist. Are you sure that was the name of the song?

Yeah, I mainly remember it being the name of one of the tracks on the album because of how ridiculously offensive the songs were, for some reason that title just stuck in my mind.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ThePopeOfFun posted:

An image of a promotional pamphlet for the 2006 movie "Accepted," encouraging application to South Harmon Institute of Technology. It came with my CCS catalog, which makes me think it shared a mailing list. Inside where juvenile puns on various classes like "woodworking." I can't find evidence of it online, but I for sure received one in the mail.

You should tweet at @NightPromoting; the whole account is focused on highlighting dumb promotional stuff for movies no one cares about

https://twitter.com/common_elf/status/1534755748596617216?s=20&t=enmK-xQHAbVq4-Po8zVzZw

https://twitter.com/NightPromoting/status/1187898973794787328?s=20&t=enmK-xQHAbVq4-Po8zVzZw

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Finally, someone who might want to buy my BASEketball bumper sticker

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Riptor posted:

You should tweet at @NightPromoting; the whole account is focused on highlighting dumb promotional stuff for movies no one cares about

https://twitter.com/common_elf/status/1534755748596617216?s=20&t=enmK-xQHAbVq4-Po8zVzZw

https://twitter.com/NightPromoting/status/1187898973794787328?s=20&t=enmK-xQHAbVq4-Po8zVzZw

Fascinating, (un)fortunately I have logged off twitter.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, I mainly remember it being the name of one of the tracks on the album because of how ridiculously offensive the songs were, for some reason that title just stuck in my mind.

you should ask at a record nerd forum. they can be pretty quiet but there are still insanely knowledgeable people lurking at some. Soulstrut and Waxidermy?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't think so; as I recall from the one song that stuck in my memory, he just sounded like your average older black guy who has no idea of how a rap song works except that it should have plenty of rhyming. I mainly remember the song because it started out with him (or whatever character he was purporting to be in the song) telling an attractive young woman that she knows what she "has to do" if she wants money for rent and bills. It definitely wasn't a progressive-minded album, that's for sure.
Can you quote some lyrics?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

There was a taco truck that was just south of Fort Collins named "Tacos [singular male name]". It was real good and I can't remember the drat name every time I'm driving through that area.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm looking for a cartoon I watched when I was young in the 90's, but it must be much older. I think it was supposed to be the story of Rapunzel, or a similar tale, but I'm not sure. I don't believe it was a Disney one, but it had that old school cel art animation style. Maybe even something closer to the way Plauge Dogs or Watership down are drawn.

I remember only that a prince climbed a tower and was thrown off by a witch? into a thorny bush, which gouged his eyes out. I distinctly remember blood dripping from his eyes as he stumbled through a thicket.

I was just reminded of this, I still have trouble watching people making wire sculptures or...heck...even trees in winter make me squint involuntary.

E: After a bit of googling it's def Rapunzel, but I haven't found the specific cartoon. The closest was the Hallmark one but in that he just got turned into a bird.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 14, 2022

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Treecko posted:

Rapunzel

Are you thinking of the anime version that aired on Nickelodeon? I think it hits most of the things you remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OTy1uQYGp4

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Treecko posted:

I'm looking for a cartoon I watched when I was young in the 90's, but it must be much older. I think it was supposed to be the story of Rapunzel, or a similar tale, but I'm not sure. I don't believe it was a Disney one, but it had that old school cel art animation style. Maybe even something closer to the way Plauge Dogs or Watership down are drawn.

I remember only that a prince climbed a tower and was thrown off by a witch? into a thorny bush, which gouged his eyes out. I distinctly remember blood dripping from his eyes as he stumbled through a thicket.

I was just reminded of this, I still have trouble watching people making wire sculptures or...heck...even trees in winter make me squint involuntary.

E: After a bit of googling it's def Rapunzel, but I haven't found the specific cartoon. The closest was the Hallmark one but in that he just got turned into a bird.

The one that think might fit are “Grimm’s fairy tale classics” or “papa beaver’s story time”.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nickelodeon ran a bunch of stuff like that as Special Delivery, usually on Saturday afternoon.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

torgo posted:

Are you thinking of the anime version that aired on Nickelodeon? I think it hits most of the things you remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OTy1uQYGp4

I think this was it. I remember blood but I have an over-reactive imagination. The fall into the thorns was exactly what recall.

Thanks guys. I literally flinch away from my phone when I watch people make sculptures and jewelry online and they get the wires too close to the camera and it's always been because of that scene. I feel better knowing it wasn't as bad as I remembered!

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

emgeejay posted:

found a useful tool for searching lines of dialogue in obscure and forgotten media:

https://filmot.com/

It searches a database of YouTube subtitles, and I was able to use it to find a request I made earlier in the thread:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ViO18YbkykY&t=27m7s

(it was an extended version of the Subway commercial at 27:06)

drat, thanks for this! I found a dumb vid I've been looking for for a decade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nmR2HT8wRA

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Raspberry Bang posted:

“papa beaver’s story time”.
This activated something in me. Incredible sense memory of something that up until a moment ago I had completely and utterly forgotten about.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

!Klams posted:

Kind of dumb, but I have this weird obsession with lime green and black as a colour combo. Everything in my house where I get to choose the colours is in that combination. I have almost exclusively Razer products in the office, and while I'm more than happy with their performance it's entirely an aesthetic thing. My kitchen is all joseph joseph green stuff, my tools are all Ryobi, etc etc. Like, yeah, it's super lame, but the thing is it just always looks the best to me. I appreciate it's not everyone's taste, and so the living room and general decor is all up to my wife.

This is a little far back but I was buying a gift for a friend today, saw this in the 'related items' recommendations, and thought of you.

https://pinsandaces.com/products/green-splatter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Splicer posted:

This activated something in me. Incredible sense memory of something that up until a moment ago I had completely and utterly forgotten about.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
best enjoyed in its original language, of course, but the Moncrieff translation will do

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Trying to remember a kid's/teen horror story collection. The specific story I remember is about a kid who buys a magic trick box. He finds a hidden compartment that has a small portrait of another kid inside. Then he discovers that anything he puts in the box disappears, and a miniaturized version of it appears in the hidden compartment. It ends with him being surprised by something and accidentally closing the box, catching his finger in it. The postscript is (I think) something about his parents selling the home after his disappearance, and all they found was the magic box (and maybe found the compartment and a small portrait of him inside?). This ring a bell for anyone?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
this one has been bugging me for a minute. I want to know the song playing around the :07 seconds mark in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY97J9k1wc4

nothing comes up on soundhound and youtubing "drum and bass song go" is obviously not getting any traction. It seems like a cool song. There were a couple of other folks in the comments asking for the track ID but they also didn't get any replies.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

magic cactus posted:

this one has been bugging me for a minute. I want to know the song playing around the :07 seconds mark in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY97J9k1wc4

nothing comes up on soundhound and youtubing "drum and bass song go" is obviously not getting any traction. It seems like a cool song. There were a couple of other folks in the comments asking for the track ID but they also didn't get any replies.

I yelled at my phone and it said this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9XWeae0OYI

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Huh that's weird I tried soundhound three times and it didn't pick it up. Seems the creator used the best parts of a mediocre song, but at least my mystery is solved! Thanks!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Enderzero posted:

Trying to remember a kid's/teen horror story collection.

Might want to try the ID thread in the Book Barn. (And I hope someone knows because it sounds cool and I want to read it.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is kind of a dumb one: my dad had a shareware will program for his IBM PS/2 called "Will Power". When I was a kid I enjoyed making wills that listed my school friends as executors and heirs to my (limitless, as I'm sure you can imagine) 7 year old estate. Because the program had such a generic name, though, I've never managed to find it online. It'd be pretty cool to fire it up in DosBox for old time's sake.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I'm trying to find this gif that I saw like ten years ago now, possibly on Deadspin or some similar site. It's of this kid who looks like he's maybe five years old (if the) who hits a baseball with his bat, and then immediately drops the bat and walks away disinterestedly, as if he suddenly became extremely bored with it all as soon as the bat connected.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Cassius Belli posted:

This is a little far back but I was buying a gift for a friend today, saw this in the 'related items' recommendations, and thought of you.

https://pinsandaces.com/products/green-splatter

Saved! Thanks!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is kind of a dumb one: my dad had a shareware will program for his IBM PS/2 called "Will Power". When I was a kid I enjoyed making wills that listed my school friends as executors and heirs to my (limitless, as I'm sure you can imagine) 7 year old estate. Because the program had such a generic name, though, I've never managed to find it online. It'd be pretty cool to fire it up in DosBox for old time's sake.

I think I might have found something or found something you might have already found or a happy accident:

1990 computer program according to the library of congress (so this would have been PS/2 era) named "WillPower"

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/P...624014107&SID=5

The LOC copyright info contains the name of a creator, who has a linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-michael-30286718?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

This lists as part of his career: " Developed a Will writing program "WillPower" for Jacoby & Meyers"

Searching for "WillPower Jacoby & Meyers" seems to open up a few more doors, including a few magazine references (ads, reviews, mentions)

edit: I know you said it was shareware, but it's possible they put out a SW version in addition to a full-retail one.
edit2: On another search I found a reference in the latter 90s to a Kiplingers Will Power/Willpower, so maybe the assets changed hands or were rebranded by late 90s? Your comment specifically on executors made me take notice of a blurb on the back on box for a copy of this, stating as a 'bonus feature' it includes an 'Executor Assist'.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 24, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Executor Assist sounds like an add-on feature on a star destroyer, ngl

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Kesper North posted:

Executor Assist sounds like an add-on feature on a star destroyer, ngl

That TIE Advance isn't going to ferry itself over here.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Maybe 15 years ago now, there was a thread on the forums where goons recorded their cover versions of songs. I distinctly remember one was a 'lounge singer' style of Space Oddity, and another was a Bee Gee's cover (might have been Saturday Night Fever?) as a folk song. And Led Zep's Kashmir as a techno song, which was a real banger.

I had these saved on an old laptop that just died last year, and if anyone has them or knows if they're somewhere out there, I would LOVE to find them again.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I might have found something or found something you might have already found or a happy accident:

1990 computer program according to the library of congress (so this would have been PS/2 era) named "WillPower"

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/P...624014107&SID=5

The LOC copyright info contains the name of a creator, who has a linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-michael-30286718?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

This lists as part of his career: " Developed a Will writing program "WillPower" for Jacoby & Meyers"

Searching for "WillPower Jacoby & Meyers" seems to open up a few more doors, including a few magazine references (ads, reviews, mentions)

edit: I know you said it was shareware, but it's possible they put out a SW version in addition to a full-retail one.
edit2: On another search I found a reference in the latter 90s to a Kiplingers Will Power/Willpower, so maybe the assets changed hands or were rebranded by late 90s? Your comment specifically on executors made me take notice of a blurb on the back on box for a copy of this, stating as a 'bonus feature' it includes an 'Executor Assist'.

There's a review with a screenshot in a 1991 issue of Compute!, maybe that might jog OP's memory as to whether the Jacoby & Meyers version is the right one. (Also looks like they're calling it "WillPower 1.0".) Can't find a disk image anywhere though, old PC games seem to be a lot better preserved than old applications.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

eating only apples posted:

A UK public safety film that I saw in primary school in 1993-1998 in Norwich, if anyone local might recall it

It was a building site one, but not Building Sites Bite, I've watched that one and it's just not the same. I remember it being more modern than 70s also. The bits I remember of it were in first-person perspective of a kid wandering across a building site, like balancing across a wooden beam which fell, and digging in a heap of sand that collapsed on them. There must have been third-person bits too, because I remember the kid being dark-haired, gender non-specific. Does anyone remember this? I'm not expecting to find it but even someone else recalling it would be great.

"Game Over" by HSE, from 1997

https://forums.lostmediawiki.com/thread/4420/lost-building-site-splaat-named?page=1

(I remember watching this in secondary school, when we were past the age of playing on building sites!)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 26, 2022

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Holy crap, I found one of my oldest white whales!

quote:

Alright, I've got a book that I read once and have no idea how to identify. It was a sort of introduction to optical illusions for kids, framed as a story of a bug(?) lady(?) who is trying to make her way home(?), and keeps being blocked by the illusions drawn on the page. The only one I remember is the ol' grid of black boxes, where you see grey spots in the aisles between them. And she complains, "I can't get home, there are these grey dots in my way!" But the narrator tells her to look at the dots individually and they disappear. By the end of the book, she goes crazy or something.

The book was prefaced with a line saying "All the illusions in this book were made with ordinary white paper and ordinary black ink," and was so excited by learning this privileged information that I asked my mom if we could get some "ordinary black ink" so I could make my own.

I think I'd read it around '89 or '90.
Every time I try to look for it, I get a little more skeptical that it even ever existed, but who knows?

I ended up trawling through the books on archive.org, searching for "optical illusions" and narrowing down the date to likely ranges. The book in question is The Wizard of Op, with a much earlier-than-expected publishing date of 1975. And it turns out it was by Ed Emberly, who I was very familiar with as a kid, but just for his "how to draw" books.

Most of the book is in this blog post:
http://www.kleefeldoncomics.com/2020/07/the-wizard-of-op.html

I certainly misremembered a bunch of it, but to be fair I was 6 when I read it.
It's got the preface about "Plain Black Ink" and everything!

The conundrum of crossing the grid illusion without stepping on the grey dots:

And what I can only assume was the "character going crazy", which is certainly a mood:

Next goal, the chicken soup song!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ed Emberly was the poo poo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

:same:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Uh...anyone have access to a bulk roller skate supply. Southeastern Skate or something like that? Dear god if one of you comes through I will kiss you twice.

They won't sell to commoners. Petite bourgeois only.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dell_Zincht posted:

"Game Over" by HSE, from 1997

https://forums.lostmediawiki.com/thread/4420/lost-building-site-splaat-named?page=1

(I remember watching this in secondary school, when we were past the age of playing on building sites!)

Nice, thank you! Shame it's lost, but at least I know what it was.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Last Visible Dog posted:

Do you mean the Carole King song from the musical "Really Rosie," an adaptation of a handful of Maurice Sendak's books?

e: https://youtu.be/r9VvlI6sHJw

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

Do you mean the Carole King song from the musical "Really Rosie," an adaptation of a handful of Maurice Sendak's books?

e: https://youtu.be/r9VvlI6sHJw

Ooh, that's a good guess! I feel like I must've heard this song before, and it totally feels like a white whale sort of deal, but it's not the one I'm looking for.
The Chicken Soup song I'm after is much simpler, and was part of an audio cassette with kids' stories on it. I'll have to record a reenactment at some point, 'cause it's hard to describe otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Last Visible Dog posted:

And you're not thinking of Cab Calloway's A chicken ain't nothing but a bird? https://youtu.be/DK0M36MANAE

I remember singing it to a tape in music class in elementary school.