Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Slice & Dice is a great game that I dive back into every few months. Really excited for the new update, currently trying to complete the "win a hard game without any blue or red characters" and getting perilously close. Mage classes are definitely my preference -- the flexibility that Burst offers really gives you a lot of outs if you plan (or roll) poorly, but I'm growing to appreciate the sheer amount of damage output that the other classes allow. I *did* gently caress up and roll away my source of cleanse so I'm completely hosed if the boss is Hexia.

While I remember, something I thought that could be cool if the tier 2 classes gave you an item when you graduated out of them (probably the equivalent of item level 3~4). Something that serves as a memento of a class you picked and something that could be a long-term consequence of the midgame could be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just recently found this game, it's really fun. Although the free version seems a little easy, I was able to finish all the difficulties past normal on my first try.

Would buy it to get the full experience but unfortunately there's some kind of clash with my bank where they provide multiple methods of verification and google play store won't prompt me for the one I use when trying to unlock the game. Since the bank is implementing new systems with bugs, that means I can't easily switch to the one google requires me to use either according to bank customer service. RIP.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's also available to buy on itch, if that works better for you :)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

someone awful. posted:

it's also available to buy on itch, if that works better for you :)

Might do so if I can remember my itch.io login info lol

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Just recently found this game, it's really fun. Although the free version seems a little easy, I was able to finish all the difficulties past normal on my first try.

Would buy it to get the full experience but unfortunately there's some kind of clash with my bank where they provide multiple methods of verification and google play store won't prompt me for the one I use when trying to unlock the game. Since the bank is implementing new systems with bugs, that means I can't easily switch to the one google requires me to use either according to bank customer service. RIP.

Congrats if you beat demo-unfair on your first try. If I ever release this update it will have an "Hell" difficulty level, though that's mostly intended for some weird modes that make the game easier in other ways.

I've been getting a few complaints about failed Google Play purchases recently. It could be an intermittent issue at Google, if it's not my terrible code :)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is Demo-Unfair like a shorter version because I still have never beat unfair.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Is Demo-Unfair like a shorter version because I still have never beat unfair.

Yeah, unfair just means "pick 3 curses" so you can play it on any mode that uses difficulties.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

speaking of unfair, I finally got my first Unfair win a few days ago, after playing this game for ages. I didn't even expect it with this team, but I got some really lucky rolls I think. feels good

Something I think could be fun is a daily challenge type mode, where you go through a preset progression of classes/items and can compare how well you do with other people.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2022

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Still eagerly awaiting an iOS release! I switched to an iPhone and I miss this game the most.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cjOnkUgfg4

slice and dice is famous streamer/youtuber vinesauce approved

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yergacheffe posted:

Still eagerly awaiting an iOS release! I switched to an iPhone and I miss this game the most.

I am seven pages into this hunger.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
This might be my favourite game of all time. Any news on an update?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I don't know when I'll be done. Some life stuff has got in the way a bit but it's still my only "job" and I love working on it. I would give an estimate but I have thought it'll be a month or so for the past 7 months haha.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
One of my favorite YouTubers - "Angory Tom" of the Yogscast - played Slice & Dice on his channel! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeVqYzaVms

He's an awesome guy and plays some great games, totally recommend you checking him out.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

One of my favorite YouTubers - "Angory Tom" of the Yogscast - played Slice & Dice on his channel! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeVqYzaVms

He's an awesome guy and plays some great games, totally recommend you checking him out.

Ah cheers, I got some extra sales on itch and couldn't figure out where they came from.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Every day, I check the discord's devlog channel in the hope I'll see a new patch :smith:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tann posted:

Ah cheers, I got some extra sales on itch and couldn't figure out where they came from.

Probably safe to do a YouTube search for slice and dice and sort by newest when that happens

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Miftan posted:

Probably safe to do a YouTube search for slice and dice and sort by newest when that happens

These days, I don't feel like it's ever safe to do a youtube search.

I rely on this thread for my S&D news, so I expect somebody to post here the instant the update is available.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Razakai posted:

Every day, I check the discord's devlog channel in the hope I'll see a new patch :smith:

Tann is teasing some wild stuff in there. Can't wait.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
SnD is so far above pretty much every other mobile game. I think only Card Quest had approached the playtime, and this one has way more polish. Would be nice if Circadian Dice got released on mobile though, that's pretty similar and good but pc only.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
It sits right next to Card Quest as a permanently installed game for me too. I love the pacing in S&D way more though. Card Quest has too many fights between each upgrade, but S&D gives you a reward for every win and it's so satisfying.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Solitairica is what comes to mind for me. Very different games but they both put me in the same mindset. You guys just introduced me to card quest. I'm delving into that currently. Slice and dice is an absolute gem in the mobile gaming environment.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Solitairica is what comes to mind for me. Very different games but they both put me in the same mindset. You guys just introduced me to card quest. I'm delving into that currently. Slice and dice is an absolute gem in the mobile gaming environment.

Yeah Solitairica is one of my "always installed", alongside S&D and King of Dragon Pass

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I’ve just switched to iPhone and this is the app I miss the most. Made travelling so much more bearable!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I rediscovered this game recently after bouncing off the demo and I actually love it! I had my first standard normal win yesterday immediately followed by a two pair normal win and now I’m doing a hard run. For the full house challenge what combination did people find successful? I went 2war/2aco/1ade for the two pair not expecting to win but I did

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I think I may have done a 3blue/2grey or 3blue/2red for that challenge.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
3 blue/2 red is what I did. More mana + a larger variety of a spells is a good synergy. Just make sure you have at least 1 damage side vs quartz.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I still play this a lot, and I'm still bashing my head against unfair difficulty. Best I've done is 16/20.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

I still play this a lot, and I'm still bashing my head against unfair difficulty. Best I've done is 16/20.

Honestly unfair is just.. Unfair. It requires some luck as well as knowing what class options are just plain better than others.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think it's kinda hard to understand why you lost. Decisions in building and decisions in rolling are both huge and a little opaque.

I'd say the piece of advice that brought me to a more consistent level is this: It's better to not get unlucky than it is to get lucky. If you get lucky, you still win harder, if you get unlucky you lose.

I used to reroll 1 mana sides from the adept, but you can win the early fights on one mana a turn, but you lose them if you get zero.

Also, max health items are better than you think. It's fun to try to build a combo, but max health just gives you so much more freedom and consistency. Every damage that you don't have to block is more damage you can deal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know how you even got that far. I get killed by the witches every time. They're just impossible to beat.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Jedit posted:

I don't know how you even got that far. I get killed by the witches every time. They're just impossible to beat.

The big thing with the witches is to get them to proc+1 with small stuff, then hit with big stuff if you can.
It means you can normally guarantee a kill next turn since they will be on 2-3 rather than 4

The other important bit is if you can't kill a witch but can set off another one's invicibility you should do that because you will take that damage either way but you guarantee another turn if they haven't been set off.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The fun thing about the witches is that everyone has their own different preferred order for the kills. I like to go poison witch > broom witch > heal witch because if you don't have cleanse poison is really annoying, especially in fights that have enemy invincibility mechanics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

norp posted:

The big thing with the witches is to get them to proc+1 with small stuff, then hit with big stuff if you can.
It means you can normally guarantee a kill next turn since they will be on 2-3 rather than 4

The other important bit is if you can't kill a witch but can set off another one's invicibility you should do that because you will take that damage either way but you guarantee another turn if they haven't been set off.

I know how to kill them. They just deal too much damage to survive. Slime Queen is the same. Floor 8 is a hard wall of unbeatable fights.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

I know how to kill them. They just deal too much damage to survive. Slime Queen is the same. Floor 8 is a hard wall of unbeatable fights.

Except for the people who have beaten it, you mean. It's definitely unfair, but it's not impossible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea the farthest i've been is 16/20 unfair. It's quite a hard target.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

If you're consistently having problems at the Floor 8 boss, it might be because of your hero/item drafting choices rather than your play in battle. Especially in Unfair, good sources of healing are much more valuable than they are in lower difficulties.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Miftan posted:

The fun thing about the witches is that everyone has their own different preferred order for the kills. I like to go poison witch > broom witch > heal witch because if you don't have cleanse poison is really annoying, especially in fights that have enemy invincibility mechanics.

For me it depends on the situation but I always kill healing last. If I don't have any cleanse yet, I might kill poison first. If I do, I prefer killing the weaken one first.

Also, it's uncomnon to have at that point, but the capacity to do 4 damage is a big deal. Killing one of them on turn 1 is huge. It also helps with all the ogres in subsequent fights.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've tried many combinations of the curses too. Originally originally I was switching between:

- fewer rolls, start damaged, tough monsters
- fewer rolls, start damaged, start poisoned

I got to 16 a few times with the latter, but for reasons mentioned in some posts above, I'm finding Fewer Rolls is absolutely awful. Need those rolls for more consistent luck/damage. So now I'm playing:

- tough monsters, start damaged, start poisoned

And I'm generally getting up there pretty often. Sometimes I do wipe on the first round or three, which is fine ... waste of a run anyway lol. There are some utterly useless classes sometimes on the first pick. The poison is generally mitigated with the Acolyte's heal spell (+1 health to every party member for the cost of 2 mana), but I have to be careful not to pick an upgraded class that messes that up, like the one with the spell that sets a hero to 6 health. The other upgrades, one that heals everyone for 2 for the cost of 3, or the one that heals 1 & shields 1 all dying heroes for the cost of 2 are really great. But sometimes I will not roll mana or a cleanse at all and ... there goes the run.

I've dabbled with Expensive Spells and Left Blank but they seem far more impossible and punishing than the rest of the picks.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'd probably order them:
Start Damaged > Fewer Rolls >> Expensive Spells > Start Poisoned > Tough Monsters >> Left Blank

Fewer rolls does require you to play tighter, but given optimal play, I don't think it's a huge detriment to your win rate. I'm willing to swap expensive spells and start poisoned, but that poison damage is a lot. Tough monsters takes enemies that you could kill in one turn and makes them take 2 turns. I'd never be able to, like, snipe a witch first turn, for example. And of course, left blank is horrible and impossible to overcome.