Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I played the first 3 cases of GAA1 last year but got sidetracked and never got to the other cases. Thankfully I didn't trail off in the middle of a case, but I'm still worried about picking up on Case 4 without refreshing my memory a bit.

Is there any sort of spoiler-free recap of cases online? A short little video recap would be ideal, but text would work too. I know this is probably easily Googleable but I'm also worried about unmarked spoilers for the rest of the game sneaking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

mancalamania posted:

I played the first 3 cases of GAA1 last year but got sidetracked and never got to the other cases. Thankfully I didn't trail off in the middle of a case, but I'm still worried about picking up on Case 4 without refreshing my memory a bit.

Is there any sort of spoiler-free recap of cases online? A short little video recap would be ideal, but text would work too. I know this is probably easily Googleable but I'm also worried about unmarked spoilers for the rest of the game sneaking in.

if you're that paranoid and you don't want to replay the early cases, you can keep playing with no problem. each case's writing is meticulous about making sure you're aware of anything important from previous cases. If there's ever something you need to know, it'll be discussed in detail before any point where you have to present evidence related to it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Of course Capcom would put Phoenix's silhouette in the beginning of their show and then not announce anything :negative:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished AA2. drat the last trial was so good. I really would have liked more trial action with deranged Matt Engrade, by the time he comes on it's over. There was a great mix of comedy relief + seriousness in the last trial. Definitely felt like the most intense trial due to Maya's situation. The bit with the Judge thinking Nick would hire De Killer to do a hit on him was hilarious. De Killer/Baseball stitches bit was hilarious as well. Lots of laugh out loud moments in this trial but it somehow always got back to being serious even though you are interrogating a walkie talkie who is sweating. Edgeworth's development was also a big part of this game even though he only comes at the end. Definitely one of my favorite moments. And just like they did with Edgeworth in AA1 you end up liking Franziska by the end of AA2.

Will probably wait before jumping to AA3.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

No don't it's by far the best game and nicely ties a bow on all the plothreads up to that point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.fangamer.com/collections/ace-attorney

New Ace Attorney merch drop at Fangamer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
the horror

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm watching a group of LP'ers I like go through the first game blind. It's the only one I ever beat and I absolutely loved it. I started up the sequel but it didn't grab me and I didn't like the new unlocking mechanic thing. I had more fun playing through Ace Investigations but I got stuck there are at some point and I hate looking up guides so I quit.

In any event, I was thinking I might get the Trilogy on Steam. A random list I found said the third game is the best of all of them.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 29, 2022

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
3 is extremely good. 1 is very good. 2 is kinda weak but the last case makes up for the entire rest of the game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, 2 is near the bottom for me. Personally, I found the last case annoying and then felt vindicated when 3 had a similar setup for a case but far more interesting and enjoyable.

Trilogy is an excellent value, and if by the time you're done a 4-6 trilogy isn't announced then you could play The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, 2 games that aren't really connected to the main series but together are the best AA games.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm watching a group of LP'ers I like go through the first game blind. It's the only one I ever beat and I absolutely loved it. I started up the sequel but it didn't grab me and I didn't like the new unlocking mechanic thing. I had more fun playing through Ace Investigations but I got stuck there are at some point and I hate looking up guides so I quit.

In any event, I was thinking I might get the Trilogy on Steam. A random list I found said the third game is the best of all of them.

Wait what do you mean by first game, sequel...?

GAA? Or the original Ace Attorney?

Anyway, I thought AA3 was good but I think AAI2 and GAA 1+2 are better. I actually prefered AA1 to AA3.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fangz posted:

Anyway, I thought AA3 was good but I think AAI2 and GAA 1+2 are better. I actually prefered AA1 to AA3.

Well they mentioned the unlocking mechanic so it can only really be the original AA1 and then 2.

I enjoyed the whole trilogy so even if a case or two was weak I was just happy to play through the overarching plotline.

I felt a little put off by the time skip for AA4 but I'm kinda hoping when they do the same for the second trilogy as they did for the first that the benefit of time has softened me on the whole shenanigans.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
give us a third trilogy starring Athena with an eyepatch and a Widget-arm

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fangz posted:

Tesseraction posted:

Well they mentioned the unlocking mechanic so it can only really be the original AA1 and then 2.

I enjoyed the whole trilogy so even if a case or two was weak I was just happy to play through the overarching plotline.

I felt a little put off by the time skip for AA4 but I'm kinda hoping when they do the same for the second trilogy as they did for the first that the benefit of time has softened me on the whole shenanigans.

Yeah I meant Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I thought that was the first one.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Took me a while because of life, but I finally finished Justice for All. The folks who warned me about the third case were right :stonk: But I really liked the last case and how back and forth it went. I had been idly wondering if Phoenix would ever defend a guilty person, so it was really cool to see that play out

On to Trials and Tribulations now, the music is so much better so far...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I meant Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I thought that was the first one.

It is! Fangz was confused because Great Ace Attorney is set at the turn of the 19/20th century and is chronologically first, but it concerns Wright's great grandfather.

You are correct to believe the game you played is the first actual game.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

On to Trials and Tribulations now, the music is so much better so far...

I still think Pursuit - Cornered from AA1 was hands down the best goddamn version.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

NikkolasKing posted:

What's the group of LPers?

Also yes, Trials and Tribulations is the best Ace Attorney game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

It is! Fangz was confused because Great Ace Attorney is set at the turn of the 19/20th century and is chronologically first, but it concerns Wright's great grandfather.

You are correct to believe the game you played is the first actual game.

I still think Pursuit - Cornered from AA1 was hands down the best goddamn version.

Nah I was confused because at some point they renamed the title of the thread so I was wondering if this is a GAA specific thread or a general AA series one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

What's the group of LPers?

Also yes, Trials and Tribulations is the best Ace Attorney game.

It's just a small group of friends but they've been doing this for over ten years and I enjoy them
https://youtu.be/uyvNarVE4lY

Is the third game the one with Gadot? Ever since I leaned what Ace Attorney was I've seen him. He seems like a very beloved character.

Think it's obvious who my faorite Prosecutor is thus far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZddpGnqwOs

Also while this games are great in a whole bunch of ways, it just wouldn't be the same without the music. It always gets me so pumped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JveQT6DfYk

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love a ton of the AA music, but I think Telling The Truth 2004 will never be topped in my heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtXiYk1WUwQ

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I totally missed and/or forgot you can save at any time so you can basically sacescum. I just recall that sometimes I knew the piece of evidence I had to use but I'd use it at the wrong time or too early or something. I'm restarting Justice for All and determined to beat it this time.

Is there any time in this game or the next one when you:
1. Can miss an item or clue and gently caress yourself over?

2. Are there any time you can't just Press every single statement from a witness? I remember wondering about that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I totally missed and/or forgot you can save at any time so you can basically sacescum. I just recall that sometimes I knew the piece of evidence I had to use but I'd use it at the wrong time or too early or something. I'm restarting Justice for All and determined to beat it this time.

Is there any time in this game or the next one when you:
1. Can miss an item or clue and gently caress yourself over?

2. Are there any time you can't just Press every single statement from a witness? I remember wondering about that.

No

Yes, very occasionally (the game usually tells you)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I believe there is exactly one witness that has penalties in JfA if you press them wrong but the game will straight up tell you which witness it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Feel free to press the clown all you'd like, though

Then the court can hear his funny jokes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I believe there is exactly one witness that has penalties in JfA if you press them wrong but the game will straight up tell you which witness it is.

I think in game 2 during one of (2-4) Shelly's last testimonies, doing anything to the testimony besides presenting the right evidence will make you fail

I might be wrong though

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Feel free to press the clown all you'd like, though

Then the court can hear his funny jokes

This is the truth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The main "you can't press" situation I'm thinking of besides Moe is in 3-2, at the very end, because you can only press one statement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's a few where it's "you can only press statements that are actually relevant" which I actually kinda like, it breaks up the whole "just press every statement" thing that the game turns into sometimes

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
did you know there are sickos out there that immediately present the relevant evidence instead of pressing every line

degenerate behavior

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

theshim posted:

did you know there are sickos out there that immediately present the relevant evidence instead of pressing every line

degenerate behavior

I reported this post for just how hosed up it was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know I'm stupid, but what the gently caress is this "pick where Maya was standing in this diagram" thing? I don't know. The whole point of the argument is about height and perspective and the bullet hole went eight inches off the ground. A 2D flat diagram does not convey or relate to any of that. I don't see what the point of any of taht was and I just had to look it up. I really, really hate doing that. I'd rather blind guess but I just had no idea what it was even asking/what the point of it was. At least teh vid I looked up also found it impossibly arbitrary so I'm not totally alone.

I definitely remember this game being harder/more frustrating than either the first AA or Ace Investigations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I forget the exact sequence, but I'm pretty sure the logic was that the hole was identical to the one in the folding screen, and therefore Maya must have been next to the folding screen rather than anywhere near the victim.

I remember also being frustrated at that sequence and I don't recall exactly why, but it wasn't wholly arbitrary.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, maybe the "pointer" is just too precise for me. I clicked not a half inch away from where I was supposed to for that diagram, and I knew it was Maya's sleeve had no bullet hole in the photo but I guess I never clicked the precise right spot in her sleeve where it should be.

If this is a running theme in the series, I am in for a lot of frustration.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The pixel perfect accuracy is mostly in the first three games. You have to remember, Ace attorney 1-3 used to be game boy advance games. They're really old and antique games by today's standards.

It gets a lot better once you get to the more modern games (the ds/3ds Era ones)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nightmares of the Blue Bomber Vase

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

The pixel perfect accuracy is mostly in the first three games. You have to remember, Ace attorney 1-3 used to be game boy advance games. They're really old and antique games by today's standards.

It gets a lot better once you get to the more modern games (the ds/3ds Era ones)

I dunno if you play/know of the Shin Megami Tensei games but I firmly believe their best titles are all on the 3DS and I'm just dying for a PC port of them. But people always tell me it's really hard/complicated to port them because of the dual screen.

I bring this up because maybe this is why there are no Steam ports of the later games? I'd like to play those too someday. I do have these nifty emulators and a decent gaming PC now so maybe that is my only hope at present.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I bring this up because maybe this is why there are no Steam ports of the later games? I'd like to play those too someday. I do have these nifty emulators and a decent gaming PC now so maybe that is my only hope at present.

There's also iOS and Android versions of Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice (AA 4, 5 & 6), so that could be an option.

Zat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 2, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The latter three have long been expected to be given the same treatment as the first three, but mostly it's been us waiting for each announcement only to be frustrated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to the big ransomware leak from a couple years ago that confirmed GAA Chronicles, a 456 HD collection was in the works along with Ace Attorney 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing part of the problem was the increasing reliance on the dual-screen system by the time AA6 rolled around with the seance vision sections.