Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Murgos posted:

It's amazing to me how many big business Republicans want to get into bed with Trump. I can't imagine a worse environment for business than a completely arbitrary and capricious government with the power all in a few peoples hands.

Why on earth would they back someone who is likely to go on twitter and tank their stock for something a VPs spouse said at a party even after they've bribed him?

It's the same reason that during his presidency you had a line of idiots willing to work for him despite the visible line of people with Trump-brand knives in their back exiting the White House.

They're all high on their delusions and convinced "No, those were all idiots.It will be ME that tames the beast into my personal useful idiot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alkydere posted:

It's the same reason that during his presidency you had a line of idiots willing to work for him despite the visible line of people with Trump-brand knives in their back exiting the White House.

They're all high on their delusions and convinced "No, those were all idiots.It will be ME that tames the beast into my personal useful idiot!"

^exactly this

There is no "taming" or reasoning with Donald J Trump, because he is a raging narcissist first and foremost that will always get what he wants first and he will always want more

You can't ever appease him because he's a gaping maw of greed and delusion. Barr did everything he could borderline legally get away with to serve Trump, and he still got the knife when he didn't go that step farther

He runs off of pure greed and lust as base instincts, and a desire to be loved and feared at all times

There is no way to temper that, ever. Eventually he will consume everything in his wake, like a demented force of nature.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
It’s name recognition. People have associated Trump as the image of being rich, and so to do business with him means you’re at that level.

I still recall the apt description of “Trump is what a poor man thinks a rich man is”. And because of that, businesses are happy to work with him because that means Trump supporters will go to that business. That’s probably why all those snake oil people are going all in on Trump so that his followers can buy their poo poo. Trump Jr. was out peddling mail-order steaks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

^exactly this

There is no "taming" or reasoning with Donald J Trump, because he is a raging narcissist first and foremost that will always get what he wants first and he will always want more

You can't ever appease him because he's a gaping maw of greed and delusion. Barr did everything he could borderline legally get away with to serve Trump, and he still got the knife when he didn't go that step farther

He runs off of pure greed and lust as base instincts, and a desire to be loved and feared at all times

There is no way to temper that, ever. Eventually he will consume everything in his wake, like a demented force of nature.

I mean, it IS highly amusing on a schadenfreude level to watch supposedly smart people prove they have no pattern recognition skills, or have had those skills clouded by hubris as they willingly walk face-first into the spinning chains of Trump's mine flail and are shocked as they're shredded to pulp by them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah it looks like 1) the goal is to indict trump and 2) this is the logical progression of the doj kicking a duty to indict back to congress and this is congress, yeah, basically doing the work of a grand jury publicly, for them

That was the distinct impression I got on Thursday night as well and I was a bit worried that DOJ would be pissed Congress was stealing its thunder/poisoning the well by spouting out all its evidence publicly making it hard to find an impartial jury to empanel when the time came.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oracle posted:

That was the distinct impression I got on Thursday night as well and I was a bit worried that DOJ would be pissed Congress was stealing its thunder/poisoning the well by spouting out all its evidence publicly making it hard to find an impartial jury to empanel when the time came.

yeah i am fine with congress doing it because it means DOJ might be forced to do something and its clear they probably will.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i am fine with congress doing it because it means DOJ might be forced to do something and its clear they probably will.

The DOJ is actively watching these hearings as well, so I doubt its a competition.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

On the contrary. When those five Proud Boys were indicted last week before the first hearing several folks indicated this couldn't be a coincidence, alleging the timing implied cooperation between the committee and the DOJ, and then posited the reason I shared upthread: A DOJ Grand Jury would keep all of this secret well past the midterms, so DOJ took the back-seat to the committee in the belief it will make their job easier, not harder. Makes sense to me as this is an unprecedented situation and the DOJ does not like to blaze legal trails due to the risks of losing. Garland most certainly would rather have Trump's supporters softened up with all of this damning evidence before they start seeing indictments and go 2A solutions about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The DOJ is actively watching these hearings as well, so I doubt its a competition.

true true and they probably have read the preliminary reports and such. i am honestly looking forward to reading the actual report now that we are seeing stuff.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

^exactly this

Yeah. To Trump fawning servitude is a natural response to his presence and requires no gratitude or consideration, it would be like rewarding water for being wet.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I transcribed this one quotation from Barr just because I enjoyed it so much:
"...there was never an indication of interest in what the actual facts were.
Before the election it was possible to talk sense to the President, uh, and while you sometimes had to, uh, engage in, uh, y'know a big wrestling match with him, uh, that it was possible to keep things on track. But I was, uh, felt that, after the election he didn't seem to be listening." *laughing through the end of the sentence*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

I transcribed this one quotation from Barr just because I enjoyed it so much:
"...there was never an indication of interest in what the actual facts were.
Before the election it was possible to talk sense to the President, uh, and while you sometimes had to, uh, engage in, uh, y'know a big wrestling match with him, uh, that it was possible to keep things on track. But I was, uh, felt that, after the election he didn't seem to be listening." *laughing through the end of the sentence*

trump really is like a shithead young kid mentally.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also a lot of those big business types are the same as Trump deep down, just not as extreme and detached from reality.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^^ Yeah

Seth Abramson isn't a guy with a reputation sufficient you'd want to use him as a source around here. But that doesn't mean he is wrong.

Fair. I followed him but could remember why. His fancy law words seemed accurate to my pleb brain

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O I followed him too, back when the high drama around the Russia investigation was hot at first. There were several people like him who said the right things and got some of us on board and then we started learning what a shithead he was and people stopped citing him. This would have been around the beginning of the Piss Tape (it is real) legend.

Like I said, just because his reputation took a beating doesn't mean he's wrong about this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

O I followed him too, back when the high drama around the Russia investigation was hot at first. There were several people like him who said the right things and got some of us on board and then we started learning what a shithead he was and people stopped citing him. This would have been around the beginning of the Piss Tape (it is real) legend.

Like I said, just because his reputation took a beating doesn't mean he's wrong about this.

He was a frequent USPOL thread darling for a while, along with the likes of Louise Mensch and the 20committee guy. That subset of "I have just received information that will lead to the immediate arrest and execution of Donald Trump" Twitter grifters who fell out of favour real quick for being publicly wrong too many times and a breeding ground for internet-fed brain worms.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

On the contrary. When those five Proud Boys were indicted last week before the first hearing several folks indicated this couldn't be a coincidence, alleging the timing implied cooperation between the committee and the DOJ, and then posited the reason I shared upthread: A DOJ Grand Jury would keep all of this secret well past the midterms, so DOJ took the back-seat to the committee in the belief it will make their job easier, not harder. Makes sense to me as this is an unprecedented situation and the DOJ does not like to blaze legal trails due to the risks of losing. Garland most certainly would rather have Trump's supporters softened up with all of this damning evidence before they start seeing indictments and go 2A solutions about it.

I am very glad to have been wrong.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

He was a frequent USPOL thread darling for a while, along with the likes of Louise Mensch and the 20committee guy. That subset of "I have just received information that will lead to the immediate arrest and execution of Donald Trump" Twitter grifters who fell out of favour real quick for being publicly wrong too many times and a breeding ground for internet-fed brain worms.
Louise Mensch! Thank you! Her name was on the tip of my tongue and I wanted to name-check her, too. Yeah, exactly same deal as Abramson. Thanks!

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I'm definitely feeling some hope over here. The committee is laying out a great case. It's pretty refreshing to see Congress people talking in such an adult manner rather than the pretend outrage childlike bullshit that fuckfaces like Gym Jordan are known for.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Lol trump responds

https://twitter.com/kristina_wong/status/1536476851383803909

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Was anybody expecting anything other than...this response? Pretty much exactly what I expected.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
enough about my crimes, pay attention to my economic legacy!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kavros posted:

enough about my crimes, pay attention to my economic legacy!

'Sure I robbed you blind, so what, you were dumb, also you made money til the Chinese sicced covid on us! I was beset by all sides! What'd you expect!'

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
He didn’t write that.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I have literally lost all track of all the poo poo rudy giuliani is caught up in and all the numerous things he's been found out to be a part of. There were like ten different things last I looked and they just kept coming. I need a giuliani refresher at this point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kavros posted:

I have literally lost all track of all the poo poo rudy giuliani is caught up in and all the numerous things he's been found out to be a part of. There were like ten different things last I looked and they just kept coming. I need a giuliani refresher at this point.

The best part is, Rudy's own lawyer basically confirmed today that it's all true because literally the only thing they objected to in a post-hearing press release was the contention that Rudy was drunk at the time he stumbled into Trump's office and convinced him to do all of the crimes and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

syntaxrigger posted:

Fair. I followed him but could remember why. His fancy law words seemed accurate to my pleb brain

your fine. yeah he is a weird grifter/possible moron who got big in the early trump days.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Infomaniac posted:

I'm definitely feeling some hope over here. The committee is laying out a great case. It's pretty refreshing to see Congress people talking in such an adult manner rather than the pretend outrage childlike bullshit that fuckfaces like Gym Jordan are known for.

the best part is those fucks could have been on it but the GOP threw a temper tantrum and quit the committee after pelosi shot down two of the choices.

lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the best part is those fucks could have been on it but the GOP threw a temper tantrum and quit the committee after pelosi shot down two of the choices.

lol

I mean he definitely didn't write that but also lol 12 pages of being very Not Mad

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

I mean he definitely didn't write that but also lol 12 pages of being very Not Mad

I can believe he dictated it and it took all day to edit into...that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mdemone posted:

I can believe he dictated it and it took all day to edit into...that

Yeah, that was screamed at someone over the course of like 3 hours.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

"I got the best prices from Putin, and you'd better believe I'd still be buying his poo poo at a discount so you can drive your massive truck in peace. gently caress Ukraine."

John Kasich
Feb 3, 2016

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1536494869866332163

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Mattering.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The criminal referral is irrelevant in this circumstance. The DOJ makes the charging decision and they've already said they're looking at everything. All a referral really does is get them to look at it.

Given the political implications the DOJ may be better off without the optics of making such a decision at the behest of the Democrats.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Muellering.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The full 12-page statement is surprisingly boring. Only a few paragraphs bring that classic Trump energy, the rest is obviously written by a staffer.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jarmak posted:

The criminal referral is irrelevant in this circumstance. The DOJ makes the charging decision and they've already said they're looking at everything. All a referral really does is get them to look at it.

Given the political implications the DOJ may be better off without the optics of making such a decision at the behest of the Democrats.

Eh, a bipartisan committee making a factual statement about elements meeting the definition for various crimes and referring it for action may be theater but I would rather see the do it.

I think the symbol is important.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Jarmak posted:

The DOJ is not going to charge him either. The refusal to make a criminal referral is an indicator of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Given that Democrats are in charge of the committee, there is no political upside to a criminal referral from the committee. If the DOJ did charge, it could look like they were politically pressured into it. If the DOJ did not charge, it would make Biden's administration look bad for ignoring it.