Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SirPablo posted:

Cute. The low in Phoenix this morning was 91.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
who made that jerkin sunshine av

give them a job

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They already have a job, they make jerkin off sun man gifs, use your head

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
heat index in Savannah hit 130 today

I'm beginning to think living in coastal GA was as much of a mistake as living in the southwest.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Oglethorpe posted:

give them a job

WrasslorMonkey

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Griz posted:

there's concrete interstates in NY, they still get hosed up by the awful winters.

you also have to not have trucks on a proper grade of concrete for them to hold up, which neither ends up happening

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Spergin Morlock posted:

I keep telling my mom she should sell her house and move somewhere with water

Boomers love equity far more than their children.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Penisaurus Sex posted:

heat index in Savannah hit 130 today

I'm beginning to think living in coastal GA was as much of a mistake as living in the southwest.

Isn't the whole of the southeast under a Heat Advisory with heat indexes 110°+ today?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

quote:

Statement from superintendent Cam Sholly about all entrances in Yellowstone National Park CLOSED temporarily due to heavy flooding, rockslides, extremely hazardous conditions:

“Due to record flooding events in the park and more precipitation in the forecast, we have made the decision to close Yellowstone to all inbound visitation," said superintendent Cam Sholly. "Our first priority has been to evacuate the northern section of the park where we have multiple road and bridge failures, mudslides and other issues. The community of Gardiner is currently isolated, and we are working with the county and State of Montana to provide necessary support to residents, who are currently without water and power in some areas. Due to predictions of higher flood levels in areas of the park’s southern loop, in addition to concerns with water and wastewater systems, we will begin to move visitors in the southern loop out of the park later today in coordination with our in-park business partners. We will not know timing of the park’s reopening until flood waters subside and we're able to assess the damage throughout the park. It is likely that the northern loop will be closed for a substantial amount of time. I appreciate the efforts of the Yellowstone team and partners to safely evacuate areas of the park and of our gateway community partners who are helping us through this major event. We appreciate the support offered by the Department of the Interior, National Park Service and the Montana and Wyoming governors."

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

that’s it, I’m moving to the part of the US that is unaffected by global warming

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bi crimes posted:

that’s it, I’m moving to the part of the US that is unaffected by global warming

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bi crimes posted:

the pnw is perfect. it never, ever gets hot
and it never really snows long enough to stick, and the water keeps everything green and healthy.

:laugh:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

:thunk:

quote:

The 2021 Western North America heat wave was an extreme heat wave that affected much of Western North America from late June through mid-July 2021.[5] Rapid attribution analysis found this was a 1000-year weather event, made 150 times more likely by climate change.[6][7] The heat wave affected Northern California, Idaho, Western Nevada, Oregon, and Washington in the United States, as well as British Columbia, and, in its latter phase, Alberta, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, and Yukon, all in Canada.[8] It also affected inland regions of Central and Southern California,[9] Northwestern and Southern Nevada and parts of Montana, though the temperature anomalies were not as extreme as in the regions farther north.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRD0-GxqHVo

Anyway, could be a derecho night in the Ohio Valley!

https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1536445904311357440

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If that shifts and nails NE Ohio I'm royally loving screwed lmaoo :stoked:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just a reminder that it's been ten years since https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2012_North_American_derecho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Just had a huge rear end storm blow through Cincinnati. ~160,000 customers without power. Apparently the dew point was 80 today, last time it was that high was 2011, it was causing my respirator's face plate to fog immediately when getting out of my car.

Not the worst storm I've personally seen, having lived in Kansas, but it was pretty wild for Ohio.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in 2012 north carolina called forth its stand

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You can also track the progression (at least by lightning strikes) of the storm(s) in real time by switching between these maps:

Upper Midwest: https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=34

Mid-Atlantic: https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=33

You'll want to turn the audio and "detectors" off.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

"this was a 1000-year weather event, made 150 times more likely by climate change"

.......so does that mean this is now a once every 6-7 year event?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

maybe a 6-7 year event... as of 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYFIfQA1ELc

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

the way statistics are done on these things it's worth digging into the primary research: https://www.worldweatherattribution.org/wp-content/uploads/NW-US-extreme-heat-2021-scientific-report-WWA.pdf

Here's the authors' take:

quote:

Looking into the future, in a world with 2°C of global warming (0.8°C warmer than
today which at current emission levels would be reached as early as the 2040s ),
this event would have been another degree hotter. An event like this -- currently
estimated to occur only once every 1000 years, would occur roughly every 5 to
10 years in that future world with 2°C of global warming.

here's another article about the heatwave on how hosed we are: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abm6860

The heatwave was 3.6 standard deviations above the mean max temperature. By 2040 they're projecting 20% of the globe will experience a temperature extreme 3 standard deviations over 1991-2010 historic mean max temperature every year.

lol

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

drat this sounds so miserable hahaha

quote:

More than 100 million Americans are being warned to stay indoors if possible as high temperatures and humidity settle in over states stretching through parts of the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes and east to the Carolinas.

The National Weather Service Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland, said Monday 107.5 million people will be affected by combination of heat advisories, excessive heat warnings and excessive heat watches through Wednesday.

The heat wave, which set several high temperature records in the West, the Southwest and into Denver during the weekend, moved east into parts of the Gulf Coast and the Midwest Monday and will expand to the Great Lakes and east to the Carolinas, the National Weather Service said.

St. Louis, Memphis, Minneapolis and Tulsa are among several cities under excessive heat warnings, with temperatures forecast to reach about 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius), accompanied by high humidity that could make conditions feel close to 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"What an August, huh?"

"Captain, it's mid-June."

(except Tintin's on fire and the dog is dead)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Move to Scandinavia before its too late goons

Enjoyed a perfect 72f day here in Stockholm today, usually what the temp hovers around this time of year.

No earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, just flooding and an occasional storm that knocks a few trees down maybe every other year.
Oh and the ground is rising faster here than the ocean is due to the ice age compressing everything down.

The land raises by several millimeters a year in certain places, it's crazy.

And we have Hella big freshwater lakes and some of the best tap water in the world.

Also the Nordic model and all it entails.

BUT

loving cold and dark during winters though, and I hope you can handle it only being dark for 3 hours during summer lol.

ninja edit: also we only have one venomous animal (snake), it's so pathetic it can kill a toddler or chihuahua if lucky

AEMINAL has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Jun 14, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Oglethorpe posted:

give them a job

what kinda job?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

AEMINAL posted:

I've been trying for years. But I will definitely let you know if I succeed someday!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

big storm in chicago, any goons there who can report from the ground?

https://twitter.com/ONwxchaser/status/1536493867385688065

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation

AEMINAL posted:

Enjoyed a perfect 72f day here in Stockholm today, usually what the temp hovers around this time of year.

No earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, just flooding and an occasional storm that knocks a few trees down maybe every other year.
Oh and the ground is rising faster here than the ocean is due to the ice age compressing everything down.

And we have Hella big freshwater lakes and some of the best tap water in the world.

BUT

loving cold and dark during winters though, and I hope you can handle it only being dark for 3 hours during summer lol.

ninja edit: also we only have one venomous animal (snake), it's so pathetic it can kill a toddler or chihuahua if lucky

kinda doubt sweden and norway would like a bunch of americans moving in lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

big storm in chicago, any goons there who can report from the ground?

https://twitter.com/ONwxchaser/status/1536493867385688065

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032498

A bunch of Chicago goons are reporting on it. Some of my RL friends say it sounds like explosions from the lightning. Lots of hail. Funnel cloud around 55 and 90

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"What an August, huh?"

"Captain, it's mid-June."

(except Tintin's on fire and the dog is dead)

the high here in seattle today was 61 —— "juneuary" indeed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RC Cola posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032498

A bunch of Chicago goons are reporting on it. Some of my RL friends say it sounds like explosions from the lightning. Lots of hail. Funnel cloud around 55 and 90

Thunder is lightning causing the air itself to explode!

That particular storm is estimated to hit me at about 4am

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Spergin Morlock posted:

kinda doubt sweden and norway would like a bunch of americans moving in lol

Really? We're the kind of people so excited to speak English with foreigners that practicing conversational Swedish is legit hard. We love yanks!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

AEMINAL posted:

Really? We're the kind of people so excited to speak English with foreigners that practicing conversational Swedish is legit hard. We love yanks!

no way you have enough hamburgers

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation

AEMINAL posted:

wanna get married?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Real hurthling! posted:

in 2012 north carolina called forth its stand

This was my introduction to DC. Hit without warning 15 minutes after I got off a Megabus. I was still picking dirt out of my teeth the next day.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The northeast USA is closed sorry.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCMontana/status/1536463003037495296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

AEMINAL posted:

BUT

i mean yeah, everyone is going to have to keep moving away from the equator. eventually the only livable place is going to be the poles. "just move to the south pole! it was a perfect 72f day here today"